• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap - My Impressions from english version!

Kon Tiki

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
I hear there's only 6 dungeons. If that's true, then there's no way it'll trump the Oracle titles for me.

8 DUNGEONS MANDATORY. NO EXCUSES.

There are 6. Getting to some of the dungeon is a mini dungeon in itself.

Amir0x

Banned
mumu said:
Amir0x, i'd simply not run and get every new secret that the kinstone unlocked. I usually get em while i'm on my way there anyway (or if a few are in the same area). And i only run back to town (or wherever a few people are) when i got a few new kinstones. Actually i don't run back to town at all but it just happens to have you have got to go back to town to progress the story :)

Also what about the
stone things with a music note on it, isn't that some kind of teleport system like in OOT?
. I don't know because i'm not that far yet but it sure looks like it and might backtracking a lot faster.

Yeah, I think it is. That'll help a lot, I guess. But still, I don't feel motivated to go out of my way for any of these treasures because you must admit the awards are fairly meager. 100 Rupees doesn't do much for me since there's not much in the game worth buying after you get all the big tools and you buy a few sandwiches for hidden Kinstones.

SantaC

please don't bring in the old backtrack compliant again. The kinstone fusion system is fun imo. If you have trouble walking to those areas you should just use a
warp
which will be available after you beat
dungeon nr 3

I have played some more of this game now, and tricube, this game definitley seem to have more dungeons than 4.

I have had a blast so far :)

Every dungeon has introduced totally new weapons never seen in a zelda before. Good stuff.

Amir0x

Banned
Society said:
Also to add the the frusration, the bubble do not always appear. Sometimes on failures I saved the game, went back to the person, and tried again and got the bubble. I also wish it would keep track of the people youfused with.

Yes, I noticed this also! I thought it was maybe a glitch, but now I know this happens to more than just me.

SantaC

Drinky Crow said:
Well, the same could be said for the Oracles, OOT and LTTP - hell, LTTP had *12* major dungeons.

This game features more sidequests than lttp offered, that's for sure.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
Well, the same could be said for the Oracles, OOT and LTTP - hell, LTTP had *12* major dungeons.
I have not played the Oracles games, I can not speak for them. The amount of pre dungeon mazes and puzzles in MC is far beyond anything in OOT. If you could count the puzzles as part of the dungeons, then you end up with 6 HUGE levels. Pre dungeon, dungeon,
after boss door. This game tricks you in a way. in some dungeons the boss is not behind the boss door, the whole 2nd half of the dungeon is.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
G-d, I can't wait for this to come out here. Sometimes the Oracles games were a bit rough around the edges, but I damn well recognize that they were some of the best 2D Zeldas ever. I can't wait to experience what Flagship are capable with a bit more experience under their collective belts. Thanks for the impressions, guys.

AssMan

Banned
This is by far the second best Zelda game in the series. The whole shrinking to solve puzzles is well thought out. I wished Capcom made this game using the WW engine for GCN.

Kola said:
37,99€? Which shop? Amazon.de wants 40€...tomorrow I'll be checking prices in the city first thing in the morning, but I don't want the shopping to last the whole day. I need my Zelda fix!

I got my copy today from the local Media Markt (Hamburg). I payed 40,- € but it was the only one there.
The guy who was responsible for video games wasn't even there so I had to ask someone to get a copy and it was lying around at a desk...

AssMan

Banned
so any other impressions? The game is out today.

Just got done with the first dungeon. Spoilers I guess:

Some people thought Ganon would come out the chest when the sword was broken in half. Well just a bunch of monsters came out the chest and flew away. Vaati was a bit dissappointed, but says something that indicates Ganon may still be in the game.

Anyway, the graphics are great. The WW like artsyle is amazing.I just love the effects of the sun rays that comes through the forest. Also, as someone mentioned earler, the music in this game is top notch. The main overall world has a remix of LTTP, and some of the houses is the same as in OOT when you enter a house. When you save the hat, he says he was cursed and he'll join with you on your quest. In order to shrink, as far as i know, is that you jump on a stump and press the R button which enables you to shrink. you can go through little stumps, etc, etc. The first dungeon was pretty cool, but nothing seen before in a Zelda game. Using that item that sucks up everything is pretty cool, like the cob webs.

That about wraps it up so far. Going to play it soon.

SantaC

AssMan said:
Just got done with the first dungeon. Spoilers I guess:

Some people thought Ganon would come out the chest when the sword was broken in half. Well just a bunch of monsters came out the chest and flew away. Vaati was a bit dissappointed, but says something that indicates Ganon may still be in the game.

Anyway, the graphics are great. The WW like artsyle is amazing.I just love the effects of the sun rays that comes through the forest. Also, as someone mentioned earler, the music in this game is top notch. The main overall world has a remix of LTTP, and some of the houses is the same as in OOT when you enter a house. When you save the hat, he says he was cursed and he'll join with you on your quest. In order to shrink, as far as i know, is that you jump on a stump and press the R button which enables you to shrink. you can go through little stumps, etc, etc. The first dungeon was pretty cool, but nothing seen before in a Zelda game. Using that item that sucks up everything is pretty cool, like the cob webs.

That about wraps it up so far. Going to play it soon.

the music sure is excellent. Is it Koji Kondo?

Picked it up today, really impressed so far. Everything is so vibrant, really like the fact that there are 3 brightness settings. The clours on an SP are usually a little washed out, but if you set it to the darkest setting then it's perfect. Good thing too because it looks superb.

However, I am now officially stuck. I've been wandering around for about 2 hours trying everything out. Spoilers for just after the first dungeon.

I just beat the first dungeon and was told to go to see Melari up on Mount Crenel. Problem is I go there and all I see is a cave with a Deku in it. He says his friend ,who lives in a cave in southern Tribily Highlands, has an item I need. Unfortunately I can't get there. I've tried bombing everything, the new suck-vac malarky and even fusing a number of Kinstones in the hope that something might open up.

There is a hole with a rock in front of it just before a ladder. I was thinking that you might need a new pair of boots to be able to jump over the rock, but no go there. It's kind of driving me nuts. I just know it's starring me right in the face, laughing. Would really appreciate a little help. Thanks.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Chibbi Brady said:
Picked it up today, really impressed so far. Everything is so vibrant, really like the fact that there are 3 brightness settings. The clours on an SP are usually a little washed out, but if you set it to the darkest setting then it's perfect. Good thing too because it looks superb.

However, I am now officially stuck. I've been wandering around for about 2 hours trying everything out. Spoilers for just after the first dungeon.

I just beat the first dungeon and was told to go to see Melari up on Mount Crenel. Problem is I go there and all I see is a cave with a Deku in it. He says his friend ,who lives in a cave in southern Tribily Highlands, has an item I need. Unfortunately I can't get there. I've tried bombing everything, the new suck-vac malarky and even fusing a number of Kinstones in the hope that something might open up.

There is a hole with a rock in front of it just before a ladder. I was thinking that you might need a new pair of boots to be able to jump over the rock, but no go there. It's kind of driving me nuts. I just know it's starring me right in the face, laughing. Would really appreciate a little help. Thanks.

You are stressing south too much.
In the cave (it is been so long since I was there, I forgot how the cave appeared) before the ladder blocked by a hole, there is a glowing floor panel, bomb the wall opposite of it. There you will find a deku scrub who will seel you what you need. I got stuck just after this part. :p

mumu

Chibbi Brady said:
Did you get the empty bottle yet? You need to fill it with water and pour the water on the plant at the mountain, next to the cave where that deku speaks about his brother.

Kon Tiki

Banned
mumu said:
Did you get the empty bottle yet? You need to fill it with water and pour the water on the plant at the mountain, next to the cave where that deku speaks about his brother.

Sounds like he does not even have the
bottle

Thanks all. I figured it out after a while, totally by accident. I had tried to get water using the bottle earlier, but my mistake was standing in shallow water like the 3D Zeldas. It never dawned on me to swing over deep water while standing on the edge. I was getting a bit angry and started swining wildly for some reason, couldn't believe it when I picked up the bloody water. Felt quite the fool.

Kola

Where are bottles number 3&4? I've only got two of them although I'm near the end. Could someone please list the locations?

(And how do you use those spoiler tags?)

belgurdo

Banned
I just got this myself. Other than the rockin' music I am not impressed. I want them to do something with portable Zeldas than just make them LTTP retoolings in the future

mumu

belgurdo said:
I just got this myself.
That about sums it up. Seriously the game is probably gonna get a lot better for you when you get more weapons etc. and can go everywhere in the mini/normal world.

belgurdo

Banned
mumu said:
That about sums it up.

Cute, but I've beaten three dungeons already, and have been trading stones like crazy. Maybe the game has a hidden second world or something that will raise my opinion of it

mumu

Then you rushed through the game, or i don't know the exact meaning of the word just :) Personally i'm embracing all the loveliness of the game and take my time. There's really quite a few things you can do.

Kon Tiki

Banned
belgurdo said:
Cute, but I've beaten three dungeons already, and have been trading stones like crazy. Maybe the game has a hidden second world or something that will raise my opinion of it

There is a village full of
horrible drawn, yet accurate, SEGA characters
after the 5th dungeon.

belgurdo

Banned
mumu said:
Then you rushed through the game, or i don't know the exact meaning of the word just :) Personally i'm embracing all the loveliness of the game and take my time. There's really quite a few things you can do.

I'm obviously not rushing through the game since I've struggled on some puzzles and I'm doing sidequests.

SantaC

Society said:
after the 5th dungeon.

Yes that might have changed his opinion. Just maybe.
The game is awesome, and I need the soundtrack.

belgurdo

Banned
Society said:
after the 5th dungeon.

You dare discuss character designs in a topic dealing with the series that gave us this?

tingle.gif

SantaC

Here is a mini review from my side since I have beaten it.

Graphics

The graphics are one of the best seen on GBA, and is definitley better than alttp. The sunlight in the forest, the beautiful minish world. Small things that you appriciate.

9.5 / 10

Music

The music is something that really surprised me. It's composed by Capcom's Mitsuhiko Takano, and it's stunning. There are various remixes and new songs in this zelda, and I can't even think of a track that is a letdown.

10/10

Gameplay

New interesting weapons & items, solid dungeon design, and a great overworld is what you expect of zelda, and they deliver. However, I was most pleasant surprised by the bosses. The bosses are really cool, and some new ideas are used.
The boss fight where you fly is just amazing

9.5/10

Lastability

The game is too short, and it's too easy(some puzzles are tricky though). Nintendo needs to start to make harder zelda games again (I know capcom made this one)

The last boss fight is however challenging.

8.5/10

Overall 9.5/10

This is another great zelda game, and even though it's on the short side it takes another 5-7 hours to find all the kinstones + various sidequests. The amount of secrets are also up in this zelda compered to wind waker.

As my video gaming time decreases I have lss time for most games, but I want my Zelda games to be challenging and have many dungeons. The Oracles were at least a lengthy quest because you had to play through both, even if Ages had virtually no challenge.

Dungeons full of puzzles and combat are Zelda to me, and should eclipse the overworld, like in the original and Ocarina of Time.

hobart

Game was finally delivered to me this afternoon (25 pounds on Amazon... with free shipping).

Gotta say I am extremely impressed with the art in this one. Being used to ALttP, it's refreshing to get a new, modern feel in a style that should be all too familiar to me.

Read some posts on the translation and I'm not too upset at all (Ezlo is actually humorous).

I'm really enjoying the roll function immensely. I'm only through the first dungeon and I can immediately see how useful it can become when the game picks up in the challenge department (although, this is a Zelda game... I'm not expecting much more of a leap when it comes to difficulty).

The "Minish" aspect of the game is wonderfully new and ADDS to the puzzle scene nicely. Again still early, but I'm eagerly anticipating its use in more difficult puzzles as well.

Gripe: Buttons. I saw this somewhere else too... it really is difficult to play with the use of only the A-B buttons for attacking and setting items to. I imagine I will get used to it after a bit... but changing (reaching down and pressing start... etc.) has been a bit of a problem.

Overall I'm pleased with the limited amount of gameplay I've given it. It's great to be playing a brand new Zelda whilst enjoying a return to the style that made it so famous. Their creative use of animation (in keeping with a slightly WW feel... but not, if this makes sense) really keeps the eye candy rolling and adds nicely to a game packed with what seems to be a good amount of gameplay.

I do not want this to be a short game... but for a portable game and for a gameboy game... I cannot and have not expected much.

More impressions to come as I move along as well.

Top Bottom