• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Well shit. This thread convinced me to buy the game even though I have very limited gaming time and I just bought GTAV earlier this week.

After I bought it and realized you don't get any benefit to purchasing it earlier than the physical release date and you get a much more fragile copy (as I assume it's solely linked to your Wii U), I wondered why they don't give any benefit. A small monetary discount or even an in-game item would be a great incentive and bonus to buying it early instead of feeling neglected as it is now.

I guess they view playing it before everyone else as more then enough incentive. I'm not saying that wouldn't be a decent deal to get some type of in game perk but I also can't say I'm surprised that they don't offer anything.

gholas

Banned
I am sure this has been anwsered before but what is the definitive way to play? Pro controller or gamepad?

I really dig using the gamepad because switching items and having a map is glorious. Not to mention instant access to the message bottles, which are strangely addicting to pick up. The gyroscopic aiming has been inconsistent for me. Sometimes it works great but it's been driving me nuts on the boss of the forsaken woods.

I haven't tried using the pro controller but I don't really see the point personally.

I'd love to see a new Zelda game in this style that's a modern throwback to the original with a cel shaded link that looks like this:

1367258803606.gif

This! The OG Zelda is still my favorite game of all time.

Marjar

Banned
Switching back to Normal Mode from Hero Mode. Hero Mode is just dumb in the beginning since there's no way to get potions or fairies before the first dungeon. Feels really unfair.

I might turn it back on later, but it's just bullshit at the beginning.

I was going to get the red sail but I decided that shit is for sissies and real men conduct the wind.

While I admire where you are coming from here I can't say that I plan on doing the same.

The way I see it is I beat this game years ago so I have put in my time so I can really appreciate the Fast Sail. But I believe that anyone who hasn't played it should avoid it as long as possible to understand why it is such a great addition to the game.

Coconut

Banned
While I admire where you are coming from here I can't say that I plan on doing the same.

The way I see it is I beat this game years ago so I have put in my time so I can really appreciate the Fast Sail. But I believe that anyone who hasn't played it should avoid it as long as possible to understand why it is such a great addition to the game.

I don't know I was super juiced on it and I got on the boat and it just felt right to do it the old way.

I don't know I was super juiced on it and I got on the boat and it just felt right to do it the old way.

Hell man who knows its entirely possible I could pick up the game and do the exact same thing as you. Its hard to tell. I think it will really boil down to how I am feeling at any given time while playing. Sometimes I may just want to cruise and enjoy the travel and other times I may just be like of forget this I am ready to get to my destination. Ya know?

TentPole

Switching back to Normal Mode from Hero Mode. Hero Mode is just dumb in the beginning since there's no way to get potions or fairies before the first dungeon. Feels really unfair.

I might turn it back on later, but it's just bullshit at the beginning.

It is not so bad. You might die a couple times but it really isn't very hard to progress with all the shortcuts you unlock in the first dungeon and you get your first fairie before the boss.

oatmeal

Banned
From my impression I believe that is what they are trying to accomplish with A Link Between Worlds. And honestly just from the videos I don't know how I feel about its look. But I am sure that it will grow on me.

I think the one character in this game I don't look forward to seeing in this game is the little kid that would follow you around with the snot coming out of his nose. He always grossed me out.

?
No.

They WERE going with something close to "A Link To The Past" with this:

zelda_link_between_world_link.jpg

But then they changed it into something far worse:

zelda_link_between_worlds_latest.jpg

But nothing compared to that awesome design that you quoted.

?
No.

Eh honestly the both look similar to me the LttP is just a much more fleshed out design in my eyes. Change the shield design and add a few extra details. Its not like the 2 designs are a night and day difference.

Been playing this today. I really love the game's new looks aside from the weird claymation shit that happens in oddly specific instances. Really not sure what's up with that. People complaining about the bloom really need to actually look at how it looks now compared to the original screens. It's great, and that's coming from someone who generally detests the usage of bloom in games.

One a less positive note, I've been trying out the harder difficulty, honestly I feel it's really obtuse. Like, there is no way to consistently heal yourself, no checkpoints or anything. People criticize Dark Souls but ffs if I get hit in that game I can go back to any bonfire and restore my health.

IMO rather than ditching heart drops completely, just make it so they can only refill a certain amount. Like, let's say 1/3rd or w/e, so if you have 6 hearts, you can regain 2 from cutting grass or vases.

Also wtf at only being able to heal with potions, yet you can't really even buy them at any of the areas you'll be exploring. The game just was not designed around this mode and they did nothing to accommodate it, kinda disappointing but expected.

I love a challenge from games, I usually play games on the hardest difficulty I can from the start, but this is just so wat to me. Will probably be changing back to the original.

SegaShack

?
No.

Only the official artwork for the game has changed, the character model of Link since the game's reveal has always been the same. Since the first version was the LttP style of Link anyways, it's safe to assume that the character in the game is based off of his design.

Ok I just looked st the updated picture and I can see why you would dislike it. But if they had just made him look more serious in the face its still a close resemblance to me.

Marjar

Banned
Been playing this today. I really love the game's new looks aside from the weird claymation shit that happens in oddly specific instances. Really not sure what's up with that. People complaining about the bloom really need to actually look at how it looks now compared to the original screens. It's great, and that's coming from someone who generally detests the usage of bloom in games.

One a less positive note, I've been trying out the harder difficulty, honestly I feel it's really obtuse. Like, there is no way to consistently heal yourself, no checkpoints or anything. People criticize Dark Souls but ffs if I get hit in that game I can go back to any bonfire and restore my health.

IMO rather than ditching heart drops completely, just make it so they can only refill a certain amount. Like, let's say 1/3rd or w/e, so if you have 6 hearts, you can regain 2 from cutting grass or vases.

Also wtf at only being able to heal with potions, yet you can't really even buy them at any of the areas you'll be exploring. The game just was not designed around this mode and they did nothing to accommodate it, kinda disappointing but expected.

I love a challenge from games, I usually play games on the hardest difficulty I can from the start, but this is just so wat to me. Will probably be changing back to the original.

Yeah I agree. Taking out the hearts was not necessary at all. Just maybe lessening the amount of them and having enemies do double damage was enough. It's unfair when you only have 3 hearts and no way of healing until the first boss door.

Memles

I gotta say, the Tingle bottles and being able to take selfies make this game a lot more fun than I was expecting.

Yeah, I'm finding they've really calibrated the game effectively. Mind you, I only played the first dungeon, but the—still fairly slow—trip South from Dragon Roost was made better by the Tingle messages scattered throughout, and when I stopped to take a selfie in a thunderstorm to send back to Grandma.

They're not necessarily more substance to the game, and they're not evident in the dungeons, but they make the basic exploration of the game world feel new again despite the fact it's transporting me back to high school.

Yeah I agree. Taking out the hearts was not necessary at all. Just maybe lessening the amount of them and having enemies do double damage was enough. It's unfair when you only have 3 hearts and no way of healing until the first boss door.

Question: Did they take out the ability to lay out bait for the rats in the dungeons and buying potions from them? Another question: Was anyone else aware this was a thing that existed in the original game? I had a prompt come out to inform me I could do it, so I did it—I didn't need the potion (no time for frustration of Hero Mode), but I'm wondering if that's even possible.

Tookay

At first I was disappointed they went with TWW for the HD treatment over TP and SS.

But, after a few hours, I've sort of changed my tune. Feels good to be playing it again... feels fresh even.

Not that this is optimal, but you can save photos from Tingle Bottles and use them for figurines (if they're the right photos). Too bad they're so random, but this means if you don't want to start a new file you can hope people send photos of the permanently missable figurines.

antonz

Have to say this game still looks amazing when you switch to gamepad. So nice to be able to go to gamepad and just lounge around instead of focusing on a tv

takriel

I am weak. Bought the game on the eShop, but also have the Collectors Edition preordered. The game looks amazing, super clean and beautiful.

I'd have done the same if I lived in the US. But alas, I'm gonna have to wait for October 3rd :(

Question: Did they take out the ability to lay out bait for the rats in the dungeons and buying potions from them? Another question: Was anyone else aware this was a thing that existed in the original game? I had a prompt come out to inform me I could do it, so I did it—I didn't need the potion (no time for frustration of Hero Mode), but I'm wondering if that's even possible.

this is what i want to know, all these people complaining that hero mode is too hard, yet i'm certain the rat holes, even in the forsaken fortress at the start of the game sell you items.
did they really remove all the selling rats, or are people just complaining without knowing this feature.

D-e-f-

Banned
this is what i want to know, all these people complaining that hero mode is too hard, yet i'm certain the rat holes, even in the forsaken fortress at the start of the game sell you items.
did they really remove all the selling rats, or are people just complaining without knowing this feature.

I never knew about it (or at least I forgot) and so I doubt most people know this and it's still there 'cause why wouldn't it be?

What's hilarious to me is that Wind Waker was ridiculed as being a baby game and the easiest in the series and now Hero Mode kicks you in the balls and now it's too hard. lol

I never knew about it (or at least I forgot) and so I doubt most people know this and it's still there 'cause why wouldn't it be?

What's hilarious to me is that Wind Waker was ridiculed as being a baby game and the easiest in the series and now Hero Mode kicks you in the balls and now it's too hard. lol

Lol So true!

it's a joke that people are complaining about the lack of places to buy potions in wind waker hero mode, when there are rat holes everywhere.
either these people don't actually own the game and are trashing it for no reason. Or they own it but are just rushing through, because you can buy potions almost everywhere.
There are even rat holes inside ships/boats scattered around the ocean.
Hero mode makes these places serve a purpose, as before they were almost pointless.
everyone asked for a harder game but now complain when it's even slightly tougher.

Top Bottom