• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

D-e-f-

Banned
How come I'm not seeing this in the Plaza? It's easily the most active Community right now, yet it hasn't appeared.

Plaza updates are weird that way. I've had Lego City in my plaza for a week now or so. Would be surprised if it really is that active right now. Or maybe it is because of the GTA-envy causing people to need a substitute lol.

Plaza updates are weird that way. I've had Lego City in my plaza for a week now or so. Would be surprised if it really is that active right now. Or maybe it is because of the GTA-envy causing people to need a substitute lol.

Yeh the weird one in North America that pops up all the time is Scribblenauts which is back again when I thought WWHD would be there. Never experienced this before.

Currently:
NintendoLand
Animal Crossing
Rayman Legends
Smash Bros.
Zelda
YouTube
The Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
NSMBU
Scribblenauts

Marlowe89

Been playing this on Hero Mode, and I'm having a blast.

And LOL at people complaining that the mode is too difficult or "unfair". It's really not.

Shiggy

For those complaining about Hero Mode, why don't you play it on normal if it's too difficult to you? Just because it's hurting your ego?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Not sure where else to put this, but Wind Waker is already the best selling digital download in the U.S (as far as full price games).

Yeh the weird one in North America that pops up all the time is Scribblenauts which is back again when I thought WWHD would be there. Never experienced this before.

Currently:
NintendoLand
Animal Crossing
Rayman Legends
Smash Bros.
Zelda
YouTube
The Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
NSMBU
Scribblenauts

I don't really get how those work. They seem to be half selected to promote certain games, half based on Miiverse traffic. Maybe they figure the Zelda community has WW covered so they're not surfacing that one? They just released the first two Zeldas on VC, so maybe they'd rather use that community to promote them all at once?

God I've fallen in love with this game all over again. Hero mode is perfect and I hope Nintendo adds a mode like this to all their adventure games going forward.

cacildo

Is the digital version cheaper than the retail version?

I checked the Eshop and its $49,99, which isnt the best price ever, but at least isnt $60

Marjar

Banned
For those complaining about Hero Mode, why don't you play it on normal if it's too difficult to you? Just because it's hurting your ego?

It's just irritating at the beginning when you have no way of getting potions/fairies. It's fine after the first dungeon.

I don't really get how those work. They seem to be half selected to promote certain games, half based on Miiverse traffic. Maybe they figure the Zelda community has WW covered so they're not surfacing that one? They just released the first two Zeldas on VC, so maybe they'd rather use that community to promote them all at once?

Nah, it's always been based on Miiverse traffic. The most active Communities appear in the Plaza.

Is the digital version cheaper than the retail version?

I checked the Eshop and its $49,99, which isnt the best price ever, but at least isnt $60
They're both $49.99.

Obviously you can get the digital version cheaper if you have DDP codes.

D-e-f-

Banned

They are at least partially based on activity. That was the whole pitch in the beginning for discoverability of games that people (worldwide and in your area to some degree) are actually playing. Nobody knows how they precisely work, though. It would also be neat if the plaza would be expanded a bit to make room for more games. Hell, let me walk around! Make it a little bit more like the Nintendo Land plaza. That would be genius!

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've only played through this once and it was a long time ago.

Are Link's clothes ever actually referred to as being pajamas at any point in the game? I was just wondering why everybody calls them that. Just because he was sleeping in them, doesn't necessarily mean they were intended to be pajamas. Looking at the clothes everyone else on Outset wears, they could conceivably just be his regular clothes..

They are at least partially based on activity. That was the whole pitch in the beginning for discoverability of games that people (worldwide and in your area to some degree) are actually playing. Nobody knows how they precisely work, though. It would also be neat if the plaza would be expanded a bit to make room for more games. Hell, let me walk around! Make it a little bit more like the Nintendo Land plaza. That would be genius!

I've often thought they should have made Nintendo Land the Wara Wara Plaza, have it built in to the system that way when you boot up.

Otnopolit

Game is even more brilliant than it was 10 years ago! And Hero Mode. God I love the extra challenge. Doing a no-fairies-in-bottles run, just makes it more challenging and rewarding when you get that extra heart container :)

Phanservice

Neo Member
Off tv play is great. I usually hate doing side quests on consoles but having the option to do them in bed feels goooood. I play the main quest on the big screen since it looks much nicer. Time to head to the second dungeon...

FrsDvl

Is this worth picking up? I really want to get it, but I've already bought too many games in the last little while. How much of an improvement is it over the GameCube version?

oatmeal

Banned
Played last night with the Pro Controller (much more comfy than GamePad IMO).

Wasn't as fun, but I played through Dragon Roost (on Hero). I've died like 7 times already. Definitely challenging. Now that I have four hearts, things should get easier.

Side note, I thought you could go wherever you wanted after DR. But he wouldn't let me sail back to WIndfall without going south from DR first. Now that I have found that island am I able to go back now?

Astra

Played last night with the Pro Controller (much more comfy than GamePad IMO).

Wasn't as fun, but I played through Dragon Roost (on Hero). I've died like 7 times already. Definitely challenging. Now that I have four hearts, things should get easier.

Side note, I thought you could go wherever you wanted after DR. But he wouldn't let me sail back to WIndfall without going south from DR first. Now that I have found that island am I able to go back now?

I just turn the wind south, get in the boat and then change it to West and head back to Windfall.

I was thinking I should play with the Pro Controller if I am recording my playthrough, so people could see the sea chart and such. The game pad is so good though, even if a little uncomfortable for me.

Gurrry

Thinking about downloading this today so I can play while I watch some football...

Does it have off-screen play?

edit: LOL, i shouldve read the OP. im regarded.

rjfs

Neo Member
Not a good sign when your best game is a port of a two generation old game that is arguably one of the weaker entries in a popular franchise.

Gurrry

Ok let me try again with a better question.

So ive bought a few games digitally now.. and I have the premium WiiU.

When do I start getting my reward points that they talked about?

Not a good sign when your best game is a port of a two generation old game that is arguably one of the weaker entries in a popular franchise.

HEY! Dont forget about monster hunter 3!......... oh wait.... nvm

zroid

Banned
Ok let me try again with a better question.

So ive bought a few games digitally now.. and I have the premium WiiU.

When do I start getting my reward points that they talked about?

login with your NNID here to check your point status: https://p.nintendo.net/

Your points accumulate automatically, but apparently it takes about a day to show up after making your purchase. You get 1 point for every 10 cents spent on the Wii U eShop, and 500 points nets you a code for a $5 credit.

oatmeal

Banned
I just turn the wind south, get in the boat and then change it to West and head back to Windfall.

I was thinking I should play with the Pro Controller if I am recording my playthrough, so people could see the sea chart and such. The game pad is so good though, even if a little uncomfortable for me.

I did that, but as I'd leave the square on the map, he'd stop me and say I can't go that way....too dangerous.

So I was forced south.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Wonderful 101 is the best, but as there's no game in the Zelda genre better than Wind Waker, except for another Zelda game, it's still an essential title anyway.

Gurrry

login with your NNID here to check your point status: https://p.nintendo.net/

Your points accumulate automatically, but apparently it takes about a day to show up after making your purchase. You get 1 point for every 10 cents spent on the Wii U eShop, and 500 points nets you a code for a $5 credit.

Lol.. I have a 5 dollar credit. :( Oh well, better than nothing I guess.

Dr.Hadji

Stealth, I haven't played the games so I'll talk only about Metacritic scores as an indicator of quality, post? Besides, Pikmin 3, W101, WWHD (and NSMBU for me) are all pretty much ACE TIER. Personal preference will slide around the order some.

ASTROID2

Well I caved. I was gonna wait to get it in the store but i couldn't. It's beautiful.
zlCfzRIbD8MP628rl1

Yeah I agree. Taking out the hearts was not necessary at all. Just maybe lessening the amount of them and having enemies do double damage was enough. It's unfair when you only have 3 hearts and no way of healing until the first boss door.
Never thought i'll see the day @_@!
Not that this is optimal, but you can save photos from Tingle Bottles and use them for figurines (if they're the right photos). Too bad they're so random, but this means if you don't want to start a new file you can hope people send photos of the permanently missable figurines.
That's actually quite nice.
Not cel shaded, but the closest we're probably going to get with a 3D model:
g3g7MqQ.jpg
The artstyle in this one... really hard for me to get confortable with it.
it's a joke that people are complaining about the lack of places to buy potions in wind waker hero mode, when there are rat holes everywhere.
either these people don't actually own the game and are trashing it for no reason. Or they own it but are just rushing through, because you can buy potions almost everywhere.
There are even rat holes inside ships/boats scattered around the ocean.
Hero mode makes these places serve a purpose, as before they were almost pointless.
everyone asked for a harder game but now complain when it's even slightly tougher.
While that might not be the case, i agree with the sentiment.This has to be the most absurd complain for this games thus far. "Hard mode is hard!"

Seriously play in normal game mode then. Don't start sending minxed signals to Nintendo, when selectable difficulty at the game start is one of the best things that is happening in this series recently.
Well I caved. I was gonna wait to get it in the store but i couldn't. It's beautiful.
zlCfzRIbD8MP628rl1
Ugly HUD ruins the shot. XD

I'm still making progress pretty fast, it's not too hard for me at all. I'm already at the point where you get the last pearl. I'm not claiming it's "too hard", I'm saying it's awkward and the game is clearly not made to suit it.

Reminds me of when people were telling me I just SUCKED at Skyward Sword because I disliked the game's controls. I beat pretty much everything in that game really easily. It's a matter of me feeling really ._. at all times, really.

Still, it's really refreshing actually kinda being worried during boss fights. Zelda has been missing that for a while now.

Top Bottom