• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I got up to the second dungeon before I decided to take a break. Holy shit, it's just wave after wave of nostalgia. The screens we had seen previous to release do not do this game any sort of justice. It's butter smooth and better looking than most other HD games I've seen. If this was practice for HD then I can't wait to see what they can do when they actually build an HD game from the ground up.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Its making me more excited for nintendo's future first party games

Most definitely. The fact that simple, experimental work on straight-up Gamecube assets can produce something this wonderful means we are going to be in for a treat once the ground-up stuff starts hitting.

GPsych

Just finished installing. My first time playing this game as grad school ate all my money/time during the 6th generation. It's like a whole new Zelda for me. :)

D-e-f-

Banned

Some people on Miiverse have opened my eyes in regards to certain stereotypes of Nintendo "fans" ... (though am I very sure you'd find a ton of people like that in all fan circles).

This guy is just ... I don't know anymore. I had such a horrible, sad day today that I would have a reason to post irrational rants like that but I doubt that guy can say the same.

Miiverse needs a "WTF" button next to the "YEAH" button. :)

Kemal86

can anyone please confirm that i can't listen to the game by using the headphone socket on the gamepad.
someone said that you can only do this with off tv play.
is this true?

True. You only get full game audio from the headphone jack with off-tv play. The intro cinematic/title screen mirrors the audio but during gameplay the pad has it's own audio track (menu/button sounds).

Source: Me, pissed at 3am this morning when trying not to wake up my friend.

Tyeforce

So...by this point I assume we know everything new about the game, right? Is there really no Boss Rush mode? :(
Anyone? I'm guessing this is a no, then? :(

That's really disappointing if so. After Ocarina of Time 3D and Skyward Sword, I figured a boss rush mode would be a staple for all future Zelda games. I've always wished I could re-battle the bosses of The Wind Waker, and I was so sure that we'd finally be able to do it in The Wind Waker HD. I guess not. :(

I'm using the Pro Controller since the damn Tablet screen can't be turned off. Plus I was able to get a new black pro controller for $21
And why would you want to turn off the gamepad screen? O_O
This is the same as wanting to deactivate some gamepad buttons, why would anyone do that?

Astra

Only reason I'd want to is for certain games like single player NSMBU where it just mirrors the image.

Yeah, that is really distracting.
I'm recording my playthrough on WW, and seeing the image mirrored on my PC monitor is pretty distracting, especially since it's delayed a bit due to being encoded.

Of course I don't want to turn the monitor off, just in-case the recording messes up.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, that is really distracting.
I'm recording my playthrough on WW, and seeing the image mirrored on my PC monitor is pretty distracting, especially since it's delayed a bit due to being encoded.

Of course I don't want to turn the monitor off, just in-case the recording messes up.

I do streaming too, and I have it on my monitor, sometimes my other monitor, my HDTV, and on occasions on Gamepad. So being able to disable it would be pretty nice (XSplit you can disable the "viewport" so it doesn't show but occasionally I still have to check it just in case like you said)

Busaiku

From watching Cosmo, it looks like the bloom really might not be that much of a problem for me.
Though I have only been catching him on and off.

Squishy3

From watching Cosmo, it looks like the bloom really might not be that much of a problem for me.
Though I have only been catching him on and off.
I bought it and it doesn't really bother me, I think it looks amazing and the image quality is pretty damn good. Shadows are ace too. I mean, it's not going to look as good as the completely original Zelda will, but it looks really, really good for what it is. The improved shadows, skies, depth of field, all come together really well.

Jarsonot

Yowza, just purchased from eshop.

Took many attempts to even load up the right screen to purchase from - eshop kept crashing on me. After about 10 minutes I finally purchased it, but crashed before download started. 2 more tries and I was able to start the download.

Downloading is going fairly quickly, however, to my surprise. I've got 8 minutes left, and it's on track to be a 20-minute total download.

Just a heads up to would-be purchasers. The eshop may be a little wonky, but download speeds are good. Maybe more resources are being devoted to that, with such a high profile game release?

How many gaffers so far just purchased a Wiiu for this game?

I just purchased the game and it's downloading now.
I hope the game is worth the money. Never played the original, you know. But people has been saying for years that the game deserves a chance because it's really good.

I can barely wait to see it with my own eyes on my monitor. 50 min left!

jtkauff

I'm in a holding pattern waiting for Newegg to ship my pre-order of the Zelda console. Apparently my original pre-order didn't take for whatever reason and I pre-ordered again on the 17th. Showing as pending on my order, hoping it doesn't end up back-ordered.

Draconian

All I've done is the very early parts of the story and just explored Outset Island, so I won't be able to give my initial impressions of the gameplay until tomorrow, but my goodness this game looks absolutely delightful. It's just so clean and runs so smoothly. I am very impressed.

jackdoe

Wow, the Zelda Wii U I bought is defective. It keeps on shutting off and blinking red. Going to exchange it. Thank god I didn't buy anything off of the e-shop.

Tokieda

Wow, the Zelda Wii U I bought is defective. It keeps on shutting off and blinking red. Going to exchange it. Thank god I didn't buy anything off of the e-shop.

Most people (including myself) got their purchases back after their WiiU broke. You just can't do it if you sell your WiiU or it gets stolen.

jackdoe

Most people (including myself) got their purchases back after their WiiU broke. You just can't do it if you sell your WiiU or it gets stolen.
You're talking about sending it in to Nintendo right? I'm straight up exchanging it for a brand new console at the retailer so I think it's a bit different.

goomba

Banned
Seriously fuck Nintendo of Australia for two reasons.

1: No Price cut (Wii U premium is still AU$428)
2: No Wind Waker Bundle

I refuse to give in.

ryushe

How many gaffers so far just purchased a Wiiu for this game?
I did.

WW is my favorite Zelda game, I love Platinum Games so TW101 was a day one whether I owned a Wii U or not and obviously I didn't have a Wii U already and this deal was too good to pass up.

It was a perfect storm.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Never played zelda , is this a good one to start with? Also, 60fps?

It's probably as good a place to start as any. Just bear in mind that it is one of the easier and less content filled Zelda games. By far the most striking visually, in my opinion, made all the more so by the upgraded graphics in this version.

Effect

Would I be apart of the problem if I got the digital version only to pick up a physical copy over the next few years if I can find it cheap just to have a case in my collection? I have it ordered on NewEgg and it's getting a bit harder to wait three more weeks. I really want the case though. Going to try and stay away from the thread to make the wait less of an issue.

oatmeal

Banned
Damn, I've died TWICE in Dragon Roost on Hero Mode.

No hearts makes a huge difference when you are at a point where you can't get potions (first bottle is given to you here...but as far as I know, there aren't any potions...).

Once you get a couple more heart containers, it gets easier...Skyward Sword was like this, too.

Or maybe I suck.

Top Bottom