• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Tookay

Can't wait for this! Haven't played through it since it came out when I was in highschool. Is it a fresh experience for others who haven't played it lately?

Haven't touched it in 6-7 years. Feels like I'm getting reacquainted with an old friend. Little things feel familiar but I'm rediscovering what I liked about it in the first place.

Quick fix:
pAbPRVf.png
The cure to all of our ills.
I think they added that downward thrust in the remake, I do not remember it at all, you can do it on the butterfly as well when they try to charge you after you've clipped their wings. I was so shocked when I found out it was a thing.
Was always there. Nintendo didn't touch models, world geometry or animations (except some faster tweaks)
It was kind of a spur of the moment pic. Didn't think about removing the hud.
How about this one:
zlCfzRIblsgFwxEYZ4

Ganons such a badass.
So you can screencap cinemas? Very nice.
got the swift sail for 220 rupees. good stuff.

hero mode is pretty hard. it's basically a 3 heart run. i'm enjoying it though ^_^
Would have been amazing getting it by going with 999 rupees, instant KO.

Just beat Dragon Roost Cavern and I loved that dungeon, do they get worse from here on out?p I loved the atmosphere, music and boss was pretty cool. Does anyone here actually think WW has one of the best sets of dungeons?

I have question about exploring though, do I just go from dungeon to dungeon or is there lots to explore in the great sea? I have a treasure chart but not sure how to read it or what to do with it.

Bear

I just bit the bullet and got the Wind Waker console bundle. God is this game beautiful.

Being able to run around in first person was a minor addition, but it's a really nice touch. The remastered music sounds great too, makes one of my favorite OSTs even better.

oatmeal

Banned
Got the 500 hits on Orca and got the heart piece...then I looked online and 999 is the most and you get a new title from him.

I hadn't gotten hit yet, I was just tired of mashing the B button.

D'oh!

Cess007

Just got to windfall island. Thank god I'm finally out of the forsaken fortress. 10 years later and I still hate that place

You mean the stealth part? Yeah, i hate it the first time i played, i still hate it now. It may be the only part of the game i don't really like

Even with this being an HD remaster I'm really impressed with whatever implementation of AA Nintendo is using with this game. I'm playing on a 65" TV which generally makes everything look nastier than it would normally and aside from no AA at all on shadows I've been hard pressed to find jaggies.

It's too bad about the shadows too because it's pretty much the only negative aspect of an otherwise incredibly beautiful game.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This game is still as fantastic as it ever was. The two initial dungeons are way too easy so I am expecting the second half. Finally got the Swift Sail as well, makes a world of difference. I have experienced some FPS drops in the open seas and in the boss of the second dungeon but nothing bad. I am in awe at the pretty 1080p and the art. So good. Makes the WiiU worthwhile :p!

I'm getting super frustrated...

I've beat DRAGON ROOST...and it won't let me leave Forest Haven. I got here, docked, got back in the boat and changed the wind...sail out of the quadrant and it tells me I can't go there anymore.

Fuck off. I don't remember this at all. I always remembered the world opening up to you after you beat DR.

After I beat Dragon Roost, I wanted to go back to Windfall and the game told me it was too early to go there. Maybe there are some internal measurements the game tallies to determine when you can break course.

Even with this being an HD remaster I'm really impressed with whatever implementation of AA Nintendo is using with this game. I'm playing on a 65" TV which generally makes everything look nastier than it would normally and aside from no AA at all on shadows I've been hard pressed to find jaggies.

It's too bad about the shadows too because it's pretty much the only negative aspect of an otherwise incredibly beautiful game.
There's no AA of any type been applied for what i can tell, the image is too clean for a post procesing solution.
D-e-f said:
Why wouldn't you? It's possible in all games. Home button doesn't care what's happening,
Roger that!

Any idea why the heat wave effect seems subdued in comparison to the original? Or maybe memory is playing tricks on me?

Squishy3

Not everything was changed right?
I think I remember Cosmo saying that one of the tunes sounded exactly the same.
I think boss fight music might have all been changed but the one song he said hadn't changed was the song that plays when you finish the Earth Dungeon.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The triforce hunt is not so bad. It's more than cut in half, it'll basically take an afternoon or less if you have the money for the remaining maps.

Topper

just beat dragons roost, game is better then i remember, really enjoying it and the wiiu so far, i love the gamepad, it has alot more uses then i expected

There's no AA of any type been applied for what i can tell, the image is too clean for a post procesing solution.

Roger that!

Any idea why the heat wave effect seems subdued in comparison to the original? Or maybe memory is playing tricks on me?
Well that would be par for the course as a lot of Wii U games seem to have no or little AA applied but man the rendering quality is insane then. There are moments where the world and everything in it really does look hand drawn and painted.

The heat wave effect does seem a little toned down to me as well but since it had to be redone completely from scratch they may decided not to use the same method as before. The GC version used some kind of static filter layered over the scenery iirc but it was probably the most impressive display of cartoon wizardry in the original game.

I guess I spoke too soon about the game not appearing in the Plaza as it's there now, and quite clearly has to most Miis under it's tile.

BTW I've never seen NintendoLand with so few Miis under it.

Tookay

Just beat Dragon Roost Cavern and I loved that dungeon, do they get worse from here on out?p I loved the atmosphere, music and boss was pretty cool. Does anyone here actually think WW has one of the best sets of dungeons?

I have question about exploring though, do I just go from dungeon to dungeon or is there lots to explore in the great sea? I have a treasure chart but not sure how to read it or what to do with it.

The dungeons are largely of the same quality. And playing them again, I'm reminded of how solid they are. But, taken together, despite their consistency, they are probably the worst set of dungeons in the 3D games. There aren't really any memorable highs, besides maybe the third dungeon.

As for the exploring question: after you get the opportunity to enter the third dungeon (and especially after it), the world opens up a lot and you can start seriously exploring.

I see people still complaining about how hard hero mode is. Has it been confirmed whether or not you can bribe the rats in Dragon Roost for healing stuff? (My memory is a bit foggy from the original)

The dungeons are largely of the same quality. And playing them again, I'm reminded of how solid they are. But, taken together, despite their consistency, they are probably the worst set of dungeons in the 3D games. There aren't really any memorable highs, besides maybe the third dungeon.

As for the exploring question: after you get the opportunity to enter the third dungeon (and especially after it), the world opens up a lot and you can start seriously exploring.

The Earth Temple is pretty great.

Do you need to already have a bottle?

You get one from Medii

Ok I see, well if all of them are same quality as dragon roost I may prefer these dungeons to MM. The one thing I'm disconcerted about is that there are only five dungeons, game seems really short and if you can only really explore after third dungeon I feel like the game will be close to over...

Tookay

Ok I see, well if all of them are same quality as dragon roost I may prefer these dungeons to MM. The one thing I'm disconcerted about is that there are only five dungeons, game seems really short and if you can only really explore after third dungeon I feel like the game will be close to over...

There's still plenty to do, especially in the second "half" of the game.

The time between dungeons increases exponentially as the game goes on. After finishing the third one you're only 1/3 of the way in, and that's assuming you aren't trying to 100% the game. Then it's more like 1/4-1/5.

Thanks, I forgot about that. As long as you have a way to regain health, hero mode doesn't sound as hard as people are making it out to be. I guess I'll see for myself when I get my retail copy :).

I had fun doing a no recovery run of DR.

It was a throwback to seven year old me playing ALTTP and sucking horribly at it, it's just more satisfying to have that feeling of danger.

ohlawd

woot beat the game.

Only on Normal mode though I want to do everything on the 2nd round. I'll do Hero mode here and I'll be doing it in style.

Where is the item that speed up your travels?
I'm asking because I want to avoid it and don't want to acquire the item by mistake.

It's the first time I play WInd Waker. I'm playing Hero Mode, and want the game to last longer.
I know, people may think it's crazy haha, but I want the original WW experience + harder.

Loving the game btw. Worth the money!

Where is the item that speed up your travels?
I'm asking because I want to avoid it and don't want to acquire the item by mistake.

It's the first time I play WInd Waker. I'm playing Hero Mode, and want the game to last longer.
I know, people may think it's crazy haha, but I want the original WW experience + harder.

Loving the game btw. Worth the money!
The auction house. Just don't bid on the sail and you'll be fine.

Layd Dly

I Caved and bought this Digital even though i pre-orderd the CE from GameStop in store. But I don't feel to bad since I can keep it sealed and still enjoy the game.

Thankfully I checked my Deluxe Digital Promotion balance and finally rolled over 500 points for a $5 credit which I paired with my Fire Emblem/SMT IV $30 credit and only had to pay $14.99 out of pocket for this masterpiece.

So how beautiful is this game? Does it look better than the original? How is the pacing now?

I think for the most part the visuals are fantastic. I was part of the crowd hating it when they first showed off the concept but the changes won me over.

Pretty much every dumb thing has been tuned up, like all the slow animations are 2x faster (rope throwing, wind waker stuff, pulling up treasure), and I've heard the triforce hunt is less of a pain but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Also being able to change items out with the pad is really nice. Simple but it just feels so much better than opening a menu and selecting it with a stick then back out of the menu again!

Oh also some things are no longer items you need to equip, like the sail, it just pops up when you press A on the ship.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks, I forgot about that. As long as you have a way to regain health, hero mode doesn't sound as hard as people are making it out to be. I guess I'll see for myself when I get my retail copy :).

It's just really annoying. Honestly I'm saving hero mode for my second playthrough.

Deep40000

Neo Member
Hero mode is just annoying IMO. If you want a challenge just go for 3 heart run on Normal mode instead, you get recovery hearts but in combat it's a lot more difficult, hero mode with 3 hearts is impossible though.

Revven

Did a lot today and late last night. I have all three Triforce Charts before Forsaken Fortress 2 (so just after Tower of the Gods). They're in places you can get with only requiring Bombs to get two of them. I haven't deciphered them yet though due to lack of the funds atm. I haven't gotten any of the Shards yet but that's because I assume you need the
Power Bracelets
to access at least two of them.

It's so gorgeous and the selfie feature really gives me incentive to use the Pictobox a lot. I've been making lots of Miiverse posts of my travels and such. It's great fun!

I've been playing on Hero Mode, too, and definitely died a lot at the beginning. But that was because of me getting used to the controls (to be honest they do take some adjusting) and being kinda reckless. It's easy to press the wrong buttons in the first hour or so if you're used to the Gamecube original button placement (which I mightttt argue is infinitely better, if only because the R button on the GamePad is so gigantic compared to the Z button and thus makes it really uncomfortable/awkward to use for weapons during combat).

So, yeah, hoping to pick things up some more tomorrow and do some more island hopping to get Heart Pieces. Only thing is I think I'm not going to do 100% first playthrough because it'd be kinda... I don't know, not that fun for me. 100%ing Second quest makes more sense to me (considering you start with the Pictobox in your inventory).

I really do love how the ocean looks now and the Swift Sail definitely makes what was otherwise a huge pain in the ass to explore that much less annoying and instead more fun. I think it's because it helps in keeping your interest in exploring. Last time I played WW (before the HD release) I said to myself that I was going to explore all the islands. Unfortunately, I forgot how long it takes to sail and thus, as I started to try and do that... I began to lose interest because of how longgggggg it took to get to one island (especially if you don't know *where* in the quadrant it was, so then you'd have to switch the wind's direction... which added even more time).

I've been rambling but yeah I hadn't been posting since I got the game so I felt I needed to make up for that by posting my thoughts so far, haha.

Hero mode is just annoying IMO. If you want a challenge just go for 3 heart run on Normal mode instead, you get recovery hearts but in combat it's a lot more difficult, hero mode with 3 hearts is impossible though.

Lol, come on dude, it's not impossible. Cosmo did it!

Top Bottom