• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

bodine1231

Jesus Christ the camera in this game is fucking terrible. Fighting with the lava boss was an exercise in frustration with the camera pulling in right on Link's ass and/or clipping through the wall. Combined with the damn auto jumping into lava through most of the dungeon and this was the most frustrated I've been with controlling a game in a while.

Jobbs

Banned
are they serious that I can't invert the camera controls Y axis? Are they honestly serious? Please tell me I'm just missing something. Silent Hill Homecoming was a game I wanted to play, but gave up on completely because you couldn't invert Y axis. So annoying.

GulAtiCa

It's been so long since I played Wind Waker, that I forgot that Link actually speaks in the game, even if it's only 2 words.
Come on!

Jesus Christ the camera in this game is fucking terrible. Fighting with the lava boss was an exercise in frustration with the camera pulling in right on Link's ass and/or clipping through the wall. Combined with the damn auto jumping into lava through most of the dungeon and this was the most frustrated I've been with controlling a game in a while.

It's easily the best camera system in a 3D Zelda.

You crazy.

are they serious that I can't invert the camera controls Y axis? Are they honestly serious? Please tell me I'm just missing something. Silent Hill Homecoming was a game I wanted to play, but gave up on completely because you couldn't invert Y axis. So annoying.

Did you click "options" in the items menu? Are those options the ones you are referring to?

Marjar

Banned
So yeah, hitting Orca 500 times is still the worst heart piece in a Zelda game and will forever be the worst one.

It doesn't help that for some reason, shielding seems to randomly just not work and I get hit anyway.

So yeah, hitting Orca 500 times is still the worst heart piece in a Zelda game and will forever be the worst one.

It doesn't help that for some reason, shielding seems to randomly just not work and I get hit anyway.

Wow, never knew that one. Sounds awful. Especially with the "HYAAAAAAA" noise that old fucker makes.

shwimpy

WHAT?!?!? Pre-ordered cancelled if true.

Ninjimbo

Maybe it's because I just got a Wii U and I'm smitten by the gamepad, but I'm really liking the Tingle Bottles stuff: the messages, the amusing selfies, they're all making this world more alive to me. It also helps that the game is goddamn gorgeous.

Wii U purchase validated.

oatmeal

Banned

I did it without getting hit this morning.

The key is to never hit A to do the counter. Hit him slowly, don't mash B. Pace each hit. Just under a second per hit. You should be able to get in about 4-5 and then he'll block, immediately bring up your shield and you will block. And then do it again. Sometimes you can get up to 10 hits in before he blocks, somtimes as little as three.

Repeat that until you win.

Marjar

Banned
I did it without getting hit this morning.

The key is to never hit A to do the counter. Hit him slowly, don't mash B. Pace each hit. Just under a second per hit. You should be able to get in about 4-5 and then he'll block, immediately bring up your shield and you will block. And then do it again. Sometimes you can get up to 10 hits in before he blocks, somtimes as little as three.

Repeat that until you win.

Yeah I was basically doing that. The times I got hit I may have just mashed B too much and my shield didn't go up fast enough or something, I dunno.

Either way, it's still a painfully dumb and tedious heart piece. Kinda wish they lowered the amount of hits you had to deal.

oatmeal

Banned
Yeah I was basically doing that. The times I got hit I may have just mashed B too much and my shield didn't go up fast enough or something, I dunno.

Either way, it's still a painfully dumb and tedious heart piece. Kinda wish they lowered the amount of hits you had to deal.

If you mash, you'll get locked into a hit as he blocks...like it queues up the next hit and you can't block in time.

So I go hit..hit..hit..hit..

Takes some time to get it down.

I hit 500 and was like ... shit, what do I do now? I paused and looked online and saw that 999 is to get the title master and a silver ruppee...but i just wanted the heart container. Had I gone to 999, would I get the heart container still?

So I just stopped and let him hit me three times in a row.

linko9

Surprised to hear people dissing Hero mode. I think it's great. It's to the point where I never want to play a Zelda game in any other way. It makes you really learn the dungeons, learn the enemy patterns, and always be on your toes. Honestly, it's not even that hard, but it forces you to actually pay attention to everything you're doing, which for me makes the game much more enjoyable. The original game was honestly embarrassingly easy, and I think it was the number one problem with the game. Hero mode is, for me at least, the best thing about this remake. I really hope that the option is included from the get-go in all future Zelda games, though I know that realistically it won't happen.

gholas

Banned
SPLOOSH if old.

So I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, but I just noticed that if you tap the fishman icon on the map screen it repeats the fishman advice for whatever square is highlighted!

Also, I have to say, even though the haters are complaining that WWHD is $50, I think this is probably the best remake I've played. The care, attention to detail and major/minor improvements are absolutely worth $50. All those up-resed ports seem disappointing in retrospect.

I love this game.

TourianTourist

Neo Member
SPLOOSH if old.

So I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet, but I just noticed that if you tap the fishman icon on the map screen it repeats the fishman advice for whatever square is highlighted!
Yes, GameXplain showed this in one of their latest videos. I love this addition, very nice.

What?? That never happend to me. Never. I don't know what you have done but it was wrong.

D-e-f-

Banned
Roger that!

Any idea why the heat wave effect seems subdued in comparison to the original? Or maybe memory is playing tricks on me?

Maybe I'm forgetting people again and it was you before but someone already mentioned that (maybe it was EC?) and suggested it might be because of the higher resolution or something that makes it look less pronounced. I think it was still in the thread about the videos.

I also want to say the gyroscopic controls with the gamepad are fucking ace.

They were full of win in Ocarina 3D, too! That's why gyro enhanced aiming >> just dual sticks.

Hero mode is just annoying IMO. If you want a challenge just go for 3 heart run on Normal mode instead, you get recovery hearts but in combat it's a lot more difficult, hero mode with 3 hearts is impossible though.

Cosmo made it through that just fine :)

Jobbs

Banned
Did you click "options" in the items menu? Are those options the ones you are referring to?

I see an option for inverting first person mode, but not the regular camera during gameplay. Strangely there seems to be an X axis inversion for that, but no Y axis.

D-e-f-

Banned
I see an option for inverting first person mode, but not the regular camera during gameplay. Strangely there seems to be an X axis inversion for that, but no Y axis.

Fortunately, if we spam twitter, miiverse and surveys with "where's invert Y axis!!" they can easily patch it this time.

TourianTourist

Neo Member
Has anyone found treasure chart #42 yet? There's a guy looking for it in a stream:
http://www.twitch.tv/lightninzombie

He has done everything else (including unlocking Knuckle by collecting all Tingle Statues!), but we can't the last chart. :D

It's one of the five new charts, it should give you the Piece of Heart, which previously was obtained at the Savage Labyrinth.

Anth0ny

So far I've been playing hero mode with no potions or fairies. But I've been picking up heart containers at the end of boss battles.

So it's basically been a 3 heart run. Pretty tough. Tough but fun!

First time in my life i heard this, coming from a 3D Zelda no less... the games that refined camera systems for the entire industry. You could play most of the game by L targeting but the fact that you still have that smooth thumbstick camera makes the complain more puzling.

What exactly is not working for you? At least that boss fight is the only 1 i can think of that has a not so optimal camera positioning at some instances.

Right there with catching an Hylian Loach XD
Surprised to hear people dissing Hero mode. I think it's great. It's to the point where I never want to play a Zelda game in any other way. It makes you really learn the dungeons, learn the enemy patterns, and always be on your toes. Honestly, it's not even that hard, but it forces you to actually pay attention to everything you're doing, which for me makes the game much more enjoyable. The original game was honestly embarrassingly easy, and I think it was the number one problem with the game. Hero mode is, for me at least, the best thing about this remake. I really hope that the option is included from the get-go in all future Zelda games, though I know that realistically it won't happen.
Hope Nintendo is ignoring the hero mode complain squad, possibly the best thing about this remastering.
Maybe I'm forgetting people again and it was you before but someone already mentioned that (maybe it was EC?) and suggested it might be because of the higher resolution or something that makes it look less pronounced. I think it was still in the thread about the videos.
That's a no. Higher resolution doesn't make the effect so subtle. Nintendo dialed down the effect for technical or artistic reasons. Kind of a shame since that dungeon was the higlight of the game's visuals.
They were full of win in Ocarina 3D, too! That's why gyro enhanced aiming >> just dual sticks.
Would love if someone made an experiment of both types of aiming and upload it to youtube.
A bit of a long shot, but if anyone who bought the bundle is interested in parting with the Hyrule Historia code, let me know :)
There's a guy selling it for 10:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83117309&postcount=17658

Kind of worried about them cutting the Triforce fetch stuff. If I remember correctly, they were located in some pretty cool places, like a ghost ship and some random interesting small islands.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just realized that there's no low health beeps in Hero Mode.

Also the encore of a song will play on the first time you conduct the song after a boot.

I just realized that there's no low health beeps in Hero Mode.

Also the encore of a song will play on the first time you conduct the song after a boot.
No imagine the possibilities. A more refined "Hero mode" available from the start with minimal handholding and tutorials.

An related, but a lot more interesting, is if Nintendo makes the game tutorial free (maybe a 2/ 3 minute sequence explaining the control setup) and instead relays on a more indepth Mii Verse functionality, so the community of players helps each other to understand the game and walkthrough it.

D-e-f-

Banned
No imagine the possibilities. A more refined "Hero mode" available from the start in the first game with minimal handholding and tutorials.

An related, but a lot more interesting, is if Nintendo makes the game tutorial free (maybe a 2/ 3 minute sequence explaining the control setup) and instead relays on a more indepth Mii Verse functionality, so the community of players helps each other to understand the game and walkthrough it.

What game are you referring to?

Nintendo needs to give this treatment to Twilight Princess. That game looks so terrible on HDTVs. Plus they could really improve the tedious first few hours of the game.

Nintendo needs to give this treatment to Twilight Princess. That game looks so terrible on HDTVs. Plus they could really improve the tedious first few hours of the game.

And either axe the final wolf form scavenger hunt or make it less tedious. Those things got boring because wolf form didn't grow at all over time.

And either axe the final wolf form scavenger hunt or make it less tedious. Those things got boring because wolf form didn't grow at all over time.
Yeah! Lots of room for improvement in an otherwise wonderful Zelda game. Fingers crossed, yet here I am still waiting for Majora's Mask 3D...

D-e-f-

Banned
Please tell me this isn't true?

This is a real game breaker for me :(

You will notice that it isn't. I play inverted too but Zelda is not a shooter. How did you play Twilight Princess on Wii or Ocarina and Majora? Right, without any camera control at all. This tells you you will not notice (or maybe just occasionally) that up/down cannot be inverted. Stop making it into a bigger issue than it is. For aiming you have gyro controls which are superior to sticks anyway.

They can't just improve them without completely redesigning the beginning of the game including the story.

"Living" in Ordon Village for the first hour is essential in getting you invested in that place and these characters before they are put in peril. You also get a handful of vital items already and the whole wolf transformation happens while it sets up the whole story. It's not perfectly executed but I'd still argue (and actually have done so in longform just recently) that this is nothing that "needs" fixing or even can be simply "fixed" like rearranging items drops for the Triforce hunt in WWHD.

What game are you referring to?
I was redundant there. "First game" as in first run through the campaign. I'll edit that part to avoid any further confusions.
I wonder if Nintendo would be ballsy enough to include Skyward Sword type of precision to the sword fighting, instead of just shaking the remote.

The first days are too integrated to the plot. Maybe a short cinematic showing the player a typical day in Links live and the events involving the children. Another thing they could do is adjust the amount of bugs you need to gather. Leaving the intersting ones, for example bugs that require a bit of a puzle to gather would be better.

Heart pieces should be shuffled for the better. There are rupees in Hyrule field that are more interesting to gather than some of them. Also a more adjusted economy would be better. Maybe gather money by selling fish since you can do the activity anywhere and the fish are regional.
You will notice that it isn't. I play inverted too but Zelda is not a shooter. How did you play Twilight Princess on Wii or Ocarina and Majora? Right, without any camera control at all. This tells you you will not notice (or maybe just occasionally) that up/down cannot be inverted. Stop making it into a bigger issue than it is. For aiming you have gyro controls which are superior to sticks anyway.
This is correct. Since using the Gyro sensor is a more natural type of aiming controls, the lack of inverted is not a problem.

ThankeeSai

You will notice that it isn't. I play inverted too but Zelda is not a shooter. How did you play Twilight Princess on Wii or Ocarina and Majora? Right, without any camera control at all. This tells you you will not notice (or maybe just occasionally) that up/down cannot be inverted. Stop making it into a bigger issue than it is. For aiming you have gyro controls which are superior to sticks anyway..

Y'know, I'd never even considered the lack of camera controls in other Zelda games. And the gyro controls change everything.

Crisis averted, thanks ^_^

D-e-f-

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo would be ballsy enough to include Skyward Sword type of precision to the sword fighting, instead of just shaking the remote.

The first days are too integrated to the plot. Maybe a short cinematic showing the player a typical day in Links live and the events involving the children. Another thing they could do is adjust the amount of bugs you need to gather. Leaving the intersting ones, for example bugs that require a bit of a puzle to gather would be better.

Heart pieces should be shuffled for the better. There are rupees in Hyrule field that are more interesting to gather than some of them. Also a more adjusted economy would be better. Maybe gather money by selling fish since you can do the activity anywhere and the fish are regional.
I think they could do the WM+ integration as all it would do is give finer granularity in movements. It would be mostly useless though since the game isn't designed around it but having the sword feel more sword like would be nice. Though I probably wouldn't play that way since the GamePad benefit would probably outweigh the better sword swinging.

I'm strongly against the cutscene suggestion though. This seems like a backwards idea to replace (or even cut down) a player controlled experience that conveys gameplay information and fulfills a narrative necessity with a cut-scene. I want to reunite the shop owner and cat by learning how to fish. I want to learn about the falcon mechanic. Goat herding takes less then a minute so even the second time you have to do it is completely fine. You do so much relevant stuff in the opening of the game, I really don't wanna miss any of it.

I'm all for rearranging heart pieces in the environment and/or rebalancing the economy, though. Nothing wrong with that.

Y'know, I'd never even considered the lack of camera controls in other Zelda games. And the gyro controls change everything.

Crisis averted, thanks ^_^

It took me a second to realize that it's almost a non-issue, too.

Top Bottom