• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Hiccup

Banned
zlCfzRIhHUQgBUo9ey

I wish the Hero of Time was still alive...

zlCfzRIhKygA7Bep6h

All this power, yet I desire nothing.

oatmeal

Banned
One thing I dislike is that when you're using the clawshot or boomerang, the right stick aims...which means unless the item is equipped to R, you can't aim and shoot at hte same time.

And either axe the final wolf form scavenger hunt or make it less tedious. Those things got boring because wolf form didn't grow at all over time.

Amen, I played twilight princess before this and those wolf sections in beginning of game were atrocious. And half the time I couldn't even freaking see my tv it was so dark. I've heard lots of bad things about triforce hunt in WW but I find it hard to believe it will be worse then the wolf sections in TP.

Bastion

This game reminds me how much I hated the horrible motion controls of the two Wii Zelda games.

This game is like a breath if fresh air that stands in complete contrast to the other game I am playing right now-GTA 5

XD

My apologies in advance for these OT posts:
I think they could do the WM+ integration as all it would do is give finer granularity in movements. It would be mostly useless though since the game isn't designed around it but having the sword feel more sword like would be nice. Though I probably wouldn't play that way since the GamePad benefit would probably outweigh the better sword swinging.
Yes, the only sword movement that makes a difference in combat is an stab from a slice in whichever direction. But im talking about this for inmersion purposes. Swinging the remote from left to right for a slice instead of wagling wihile pressing right on the stick feels better.

What gamepad benefit? Inventory management was fantastic in the Wii version. For item slots plus the quick weel.
I'm strongly against the cutscene suggestion though. This seems like a backwards idea to replace (or even cut down) a player controlled experience that conveys gameplay information and fulfills a narrative necessity with a cut-scene. I want to reunite the shop owner and cat by learning how to fish. I want to learn about the falcon mechanic. Goat herding takes less then a minute so even the second time you have to do it is completely fine. You do so much relevant stuff in the opening of the game, I really don't wanna miss any of it.
No qualms with the introductory sequence from my part, if you check my post out, i did recognise the "3 Days" are deeply very ingrained with the plot. I was just thinking of alternate way as an option for revisiting players in a sort of like "Hero mode" at the game's start. Since you are a TP veteran, you wouldn't miss much to have the 3 days summed up in a cinematic sequence. For a new player the introduction could still be there.

What i have a big problem with is the bug collecting
This game reminds me how much I hated the horrible motion controls of the two Wii Zelda games.
You were playing those games with the Kinect?
One thing I dislike is that when you're using the clawshot or boomerang, the right stick aims...which means unless the item is equipped to R, you can't aim and shoot at hte same time.
Nintendo should have remapped the Wind Waker HD controls in a different way, using one of the shoulder/trigger buttons as a dedicated item button. It works better that way.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Yeah! Lots of room for improvement in an otherwise wonderful Zelda game. Fingers crossed, yet here I am still waiting for Majora's Mask 3D...

NO.

A remake like this for WW would do MM justice. Not being on the damn 3DS. Fuck even a OOT remake on the Wii U would sell truckloads,

MegalonJJ

Banned
Nintendo needs to give this treatment to Twilight Princess. That game looks so terrible on HDTVs. Plus they could really improve the tedious first few hours of the game.

I agree.

I'd say get rid of the cat & fishing crap. Goat herding is okay as it's basically the horse combat tutorial, but perhaps reduce the number of goats that need herding. Halve the amount of light/bug tears needed. Also whilst WWHD can get away without a pure orchestral score, this game needs it as some of the sound samples and audio quality is weak. (Other fixes such as super fast text speed and cutting the rupee cut-scenes).

ArynCrinn

Banned
I agree.

I'd say get rid of the cat & fishing crap. Goat herding is okay as it's basically the horse combat tutorial, but perhaps reduce the number of goats that need herding. Halve the amount of light/bug tears needed. Also whilst WWHD can get away without a pure orchestral score, this game needs it as some of the sound samples and audio quality is weak. (Other fixes such as super fast text speed and cutting the rupee cut-scenes).

I'll just throw in a vote for a remake of all the Zelda 3D games starting from OOT as a collection release, WW included as well as Skyward Sword. That kind of compilation would kick some serious ass. The Legend of Zelda anthology, including a special edition that includes the original LttP HD remake, as well as the new 3DS LttP-type game for Wii U. Charge $90 for the Special Edition, and $60 for the regular and watch the pockets at Nintendo fill up.

zroid

Banned
NO.

A remake like this for WW would do MM justice. Not being on the damn 3DS. Fuck even a OOT remake on the Wii U would sell truckloads,

You're dreaming if you think they will remake an N64 game in HD. The whole thing would have to be redone from scratch basically, while MM3D could use the existing engine and many of the same assets from OoT3D. MM HD doesn't make any sense.

MM3D is pretty much inevitable. Grezzo's probably already working on it.

I've had this downloaded since 7PM yesterday and have yet to even launch it. Firewall upgrades always produce problems, I've been working since 9PM last night.

Save me GAF!! Tell me the game sucks

:(

ArynCrinn

Banned
You're dreaming if you think they will remake an N64 game in HD. The whole thing would have to be redone from scratch basically, while MM3D could use the existing engine and many of the same assets from OoT3D. MM HD doesn't make any sense.

MM3D is pretty much inevitable. Grezzo's probably already working on it.

They pretty much made this new WW from scratch, didn't they? They didn't just upscale the res and fix up a few textures and a bit of AA. The same could be done with MM if enough effort went into it. Considering it's the best 3D Zelda so far, or at least most unique. 3D on 3DS is really a pure gimmick and nothing else, haven't seen a game yet that uses it in a novel and unprecedented way.

My thoughts are Nintendo needs to abandon the handheld market. But I'd have to make a long thread explaining in detail why it would be a good move. Otherwise their stretching themselves too thin and sacrificing great games for one platform for another. Which in a way makes zero sense...any game on 3DS should be fully compatible with Wii U, right? Their the same exact idea, just one has HD and one has 3D (which is optional). So why not make ALL 3DS games cross-platform and expand the Wii U library by a order of magnitude? This is really the only way to subvert the issues that plague Wii U not getting the new Luigi's Mansion or 2D Zelda, Nintendo if executed correctly could be making a lot more money this way. And selling a lot more Wii U's.

D-e-f-

Banned
NO.

Another OoT version? Really though, what you're proposing isn't feasible and not even necessary. The groundwork for MM3D is in place already. A console version would require everything to be rebuilt completely from scratch. At that point it's a huge waste of time that could go into a brand new game whereas a 3DS version would be relatively easy and quick to do while yielding many benefits already.

I can do that, I suppose. I think I just need to get used to it.

Join the gyro master race :)

Shaanyboi

Banned
NO.

A MM remake on 3DS is the most likely of the two. So many assets for OOT 3D have already been redone and/or translated to the 3DS, Grezzo has already gotten a relatively sizable amount of the work done.

ArynCrinn

Banned
No, this wasn't remade from scratch. :p

It's an HD remaster with a few bells and whistles.

Oh, I heard A LOT was remade significantly specifically for this game, but whatever. My points about the 3DS and Wii U still stand.

Another OoT version? Really though, what you're proposing isn't feasible and not even necessary. The groundwork for MM3D is in place already. A console version would require everything to be rebuilt completely from scratch. At that point it's a huge waste of time that could go into a brand new game whereas a 3DS version would be relatively easy and quick to do while yielding many benefits already.

Read my post above.

A MM remake on 3DS is the most likely of the two. So many assets for OOT 3D have already been redone and/or translated to the 3DS, Grezzo has already gotten a relatively sizable amount of the work done.

Read post above. ;)

EhoaVash

just got this along with the wii u, download took a bit long but started the game. the last time I played wind waker was probably 8 years ago, I never beat it, didn't even get half way through when I played it back then. Now I'm playing it again and I can't remember anything lol but wow it's a bit jarring to how fast wind waker starts up compared to TP and skyward sword :I also toon link is too slow

ArynCrinn

Banned
Not going into this. You have terrible ideas. :D

Yeah, yeah whatever man. Doubt you could go into this.:D PS3 does cross-platform and it works fine (on two different handhelds no less), no reason why it couldn't be done on Wii U as well.

And as for my initial MM HD complete remake. It COULD be done, if Nintendo cared enough...

Finally got the sail, camera, and Tingle bottle. Man, bottles are showing up everywhere now. Set sail for the first time, and had a flood of nostalgia of my college days.

I will say though, the sailing music doesn't seem as powerful as I remember. It's still great, but I think receiving the Zelda orchestra CD with Skyward Sword and listening to that rendition for the last couple of years spoiled me a bit.

Majora 3D is almost certainly happening. Majora HD never will.

new-is-always-better11.gif

*almost. People give Nintendo so much shit for Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, but I'd take that level of quality a hundred times over rather than them continue to live in the past.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Majora 3D is almost certainly happening. Majora HD never will.

So why not make it cross-platform with the Wii U? And just upscale the graphics on it? We can already play Majora's Mask in HD through Dolphin. But it would be cool to have the 3DS version be cross-platform so any owner of the two platforms could enjoy it. Or is it just too hard for Nintendo to do?

So why not make it cross-platform with the Wii U? And just upscale the graphics on it? We can already play Majora's Mask in HD through Dolphin. But it would be cool to have the 3DS version be cross-platform so any owner of the two platforms could enjoy it. Or is it just too hard for Nintendo to do?

They could, but why would they? You've given no compelling argument for why Nintendo should make a console and portable version of MM 3D, when the latter will satisfy the fan base just fine.

And no, "Sony does it" isn't a compelling argument.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I'll just throw in a vote for a remake of all the Zelda 3D games starting from OOT as a collection release, WW included as well as Skyward Sword. That kind of compilation would kick some serious ass. The Legend of Zelda anthology, including a special edition that includes the original LttP HD remake, as well as the new 3DS LttP-type game for Wii U. Charge $90 for the Special Edition, and $60 for the regular and watch the pockets at Nintendo fill up.

You just reminded me, for the inevitable VC release of OOT, I hope as an option, they offer the upgraded 3DS version, just in 1080p (same with Starfox 64).

Hiccup

Banned
Yeah I was stoked for the sailing music and, yes, I too am spoiled by the ten minute movement piece on the soundtrack. The music is still great.

On my way to head to grab third pearl.

question: where is the 'faster' sail? I went to auction house at night and didn't see it.

It's in the auction house. Just keep going outside/inside to have a different item appear.

ArynCrinn

Banned
They could, but why would they? You've given no compelling argument for why Nintendo should make a console and portable version of MM 3D, when the latter will satisfy the fan base just fine.

And no, "Sony does it" isn't a compelling argument.

The question isn't "why would they", the question is "why not?".

1: It's better for all gamers on Nintendo's platforms.
2. It would likely sell better if a player could simply download the new Luigi's Mansion on Wii U for the price, or if you already own it on one, sync the two. Same with any 3DS game.
3. ALL great games that come to 3DS would be available to Wii U owners through the eShop, and a simple upscale option. Increasing the value of the console (imo) and likely spurring more sales of the console.
4. It wouldn't be too difficult for any competent programmer to emulate 3DS content on the Wii U, since they both share the exact same idea of innovation (dual screens). So it would likely be a cost effective effort.
5. The circle pad sucks, the Wii U controller (with all of it's problems) could actually improve many games from a gameplay perspective. It has everything the 3DS has, and more. So theoretically the Wii U cross-version could have additional features.

There, my own opinion of a compelling argument.

You just reminded me, for the inevitable VC release of OOT, I hope as an option, they offer the upgraded 3DS version, just in 1080p (same with Starfox 64).

It would be nice and pretty awesome, I agree! But this is Nintendo we're talking about. The only manufacturer with a current next-gen console and the slowest and poorest to navigate OS of the three. That alone should show Nintendo's commitment to cutting edge performance or even perfectly fine execution on their hardware/software characteristics. So far at least....

leroidys

Man, Hero mode in this game is the real deal. I am dying over and over and have to plan each multiple enemy encounter . If they had gone the extra mile and remixed the dungeons a la master quest, this would feel almost like an entirely new game.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I bet I know a lot more programmers than you do. So please, Mr. Guru, tell me why? Especially when you're a Nintendo programmer intimately familiar with both hardware and software characteristics?

The 3DS and Wii U don't have similar hardware. Yes, technically it's possible to port 3DS games to Wii U (you can port anything to anything if you have the time and money), but it's not done with the flip of a switch.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Man, Hero mode in this game is the real deal. I am dying over and over and have to plan each multiple enemy encounter . If they had gone the extra mile and remixed the dungeons a la master quest, this would feel almost like an entirely new game.

Nintendo 2013.

But I agree, Hero Mode will be pretty fun, I can't wait. Although Hero Mode in Skyward Sword was still relatively easy, since the monsters are dumb as fuck, and the sequences to get through aren't too bad to each save point. At best, I hope the Hero Mode in this game is truly hard.

Squishy3

I bet I know a lot more programmers than you do. So please, Mr. Guru, tell me why? Especially when you're a Nintendo programmer intimately familiar with both hardware and software characteristics?
It still requires an actual porting job unless you have an engine like Capcom's MT Frameworks that makes it relatively easy to port things, while what Nintendo is planning in the future is more in-line with what you are talking about.

Iwata: "What we are saying is that we would like to integrate software development methods, operating systems, and built-in software and software assets for each platform so that we can use them across different machines."

From http://www.gengame.net/2013/02/iwat...integrating-handheld-and-console-development/

Nintendo 2013.

But I agree, Hero Mode will be pretty fun, I can't wait. Although Hero Mode in Skyward Sword was still relatively easy, since the monsters are dumb as fuck, and the sequences to get through aren't too bad to each save point. At best, I hope the Hero Mode in this game is truly hard.

Hero Mode no fairies.

It will put you to the test in some segments.

ArynCrinn

Banned
The 3DS and Wii U don't have similar hardware. Yes, technically it's possible to port 3DS games to Wii U, but it's not done with the flip of a switch.

Absolutely, totally different hardware. And I never implied it would happen overnight. But it wouldn't be a complete headache either, not with this being Nintendo's own hardware's and software and knowing exactly what to do. As I said any competent programmer/s (or team of) could take 6-9 months to perfect it, and lay the groundwork for great 3DS games on Wii U cross-platform.

Think of it this way, why not test the waters financially? Why not pick 5 best-selling 3DS games once the emulator is finished and updated to Wii U. Including titles like Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, NSMB2, new 2D Zelda and Donkey Kong Country 3D and see how it goes financially. If it's a success, then there's a brand new feature and revenue stream, if it fails, then at least they tried and probably broke even or even profited. In the end, a great idea and thing for Nintendo gamers. I'm just trying to be a advocate for Nintendo gamers really.

If people can create emulators outside of Nintendo for all their systems, then surely Nintendo could do it for the Wii U and 3DS with enough effort.

It still requires an actual porting job unless you have an engine like Capcom's MT Frameworks that makes it relatively easy to port things, while what Nintendo is planning in the future is more in-line with what you are talking about.

Iwata: "What we are saying is that we would like to integrate software development methods, operating systems, and built-in software and software assets for each platform so that we can use them across different machines."

From http://www.gengame.net/2013/02/iwat...integrating-handheld-and-console-development/

Thanks, couldn't find the link. If this cross-platform idea did come to fruition Nintendo would almost surely have a way of porting the games quick and easy. Or at least easy-ish.

TourianTourist

Neo Member
Oh, I heard A LOT was remade significantly specifically for this game, but whatever.
Where did you hear this? Nintendo released an Iwata Asks about this game, where they admitted that they only had three designers work on the game. They developed a tool that let them port GameCube graphics data to Wii U, they improved the textures and added some various shaders. That's it. The models remained the same and didn't get improved.

The only reason, why Miyamoto greenlighted this game, was because it could be made cheaply by a very small team within a short time. The main team has to work on Zelda U after all.

Something like Majora's Mask HD would be as expansive as a making new game. It would need detailed HD textures and models and would have to be made from scratch. So, don't think that they could have made MMHD instead of TWWHD. Not a chance. It would be more like "MMHD instead of Zelda U".

ArynCrinn

Banned
Where did you hear this? Nintendo released an Iwata Asks about this game, where they admitted that they only had three designers work on the game. They developed a tool that let them port GameCube graphics data to Wii U, they improved the textures and added some various shaders. That's it. The models remained the same and didn't get improved.

The only reason, why Miyamoto greenlighted this game, was because it could be made cheaply by a very small team within a short time. The main team has to work on Zelda U after all.

Something like Majora's Mask HD would be as expansive as a making new game. It would need detailed HD textures and models and would have to be made from scratch. So, don't think that they could have made MMHD instead of TWWHD. Not a chance. It would be more like "MMHD instead of Zelda U".

Don't know why I thought that, but thanks for clearing that up. :)

And pretty lame of Nintendo, and Miyamotot's "Greenlight". Wind Waker deserved all the support it could get for a port. They need to be focusing on expanding the company-size GREATLY instead of deciding what can be done cheaply and with least amount of effort.

ArynCrinn

Banned
They are doing this.

Not even close to fast enough...

Now, back to Wind Waker HD please?

Oh wow, pretty graphics, HERO MODE! OH WOW, can't wait, gonna stick my stick in Gannon's head for the 8th time now! And the water dungeon is my favorite. Also love coming into the big Volcano Island range, greatness awaits. ;)

On a side note: Did they improve draw distances? This game could have really used it well.

Top Bottom