• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

I'm at the part where I need to gather all
triforce pieces
and I can't get into the
Ghost Ship
...I tried ramming into it before
getting its location map but went right through it
so I went to the island what I'm searching for was in WW GC...but that got me to another puzzle leading to a
triforce piece

So now I'm at a point where I don't know where to go to acquire that
location map
^^; I hope I'm not gonna have to check every island >_<;;

zroid

Banned
So, did anyone pick up the hardcover guide for WWHD? I believe it was just released.

Sucks that I have to wait till late November since I'm getting the $100 box set "treasure chest", but it'll be sooooooo worth it!

ohlawd

okay I think that's mostly everything.

On 2nd file with kickass pajamas, 20 hearts, all 46 treasure charts salvaged, Nintendo Gallery done, Hero's Charm collected, Magic Armor, pimped out Cabana with Fountain Idols and no, not using Shop Guru Statue; already bad enough I have a butler.

I don't wanna get 999 hits, though........ ugh I'll do that later.

It feels like forever until we get the physical copies. I wonder how successful this move was for Nintendo in encouraging digital sales.

GulAtiCa

^^It is very high in the Most Downloaded of all time list on the USA eShop. So I would imagine very good. Heck, it became #1 on the weekly report in less then 24 hours.

I am now at a point where I stopped on the Gamecube. I only have 2 triforce pieces left. Really excites me now to finally beat this game.

Poyunch

4cTo31B.jpg

Cess007

Well, i'd never played the second half of the game, but now i get why so many people kept complaining about the quest for the "Triforce Shards". Seriously, if this part was even improved, i shudder to think how it was in the original release. It's damn boring and kills the game pace terrible.

zroid

Banned
It feels like forever until we get the physical copies. I wonder how successful this move was for Nintendo in encouraging digital sales.

holy fuck, I just checked the eShop charts in Canada -- it's already the 4th best-selling game on the Wii U eShop. That includes the $0.30 games. Only games which have Wind Waker HD beat are Super Metroid, Super Mario World, and Kirby's Adventure, two of which were $0.30 for a month.

Yeah I bet Nintendo's happy with the results LOL

edit: checked the US charts now, and it's 7th, behind Super Metroid, Kirby's Adventure, Super Mario World, Punch-Out!!, Donkey Kong, and F-Zero. All of those were $0.30 except SMW.

I guess people weren't that insulted by Nintendo's bribe, after all

ohlawd

holy fuck, I just checked the eShop charts in Canada -- it's already the 4th best-selling Wii U game on the eShop. That includes the $0.30 games. Only games which have Wind Waker HD beat are Super Metroid, Super Mario World, and Kirby's Adventure, two of which were $0.30 for a month.

There are only about 10 people living in Canada, man.

holy fuck, I just checked the eShop charts in Canada -- it's already the 4th best-selling game on the Wii U eShop. That includes the $0.30 games. Only games which have Wind Waker HD beat are Super Metroid, Super Mario World, and Kirby's Adventure, two of which were $0.30 for a month.

Pretty good for a full-priced game. Hopefully this leads to more HD updates.

Busaiku

Gah, wish the restocked collector's edition wasn't Gamestop.com only...
Now I probably won't get it until the following week...

So, did anyone pick up the hardcover guide for WWHD? I believe it was just released.

Sucks that I have to wait till late November since I'm getting the $100 box set "treasure chest", but it'll be sooooooo worth it!

Im getting that as well but I didnt think ww was included.

Well, i'd never played the second half of the game, but now i get why so many people kept complaining about the quest for the "Triforce Shards". Seriously, if this part was even improved, i shudder to think how it was in the original release. It's damn boring and kills the game pace terrible.
It was even worse in the Japanese version. Just imagine that.

I would like if we could get a Twilight Remastering in the first half of next year and another for Skyward Sword in 2nd half 2014. Then the new entry in the series for first half of 2015.

These version need less twekas then Wind Waker and they have a lot of work done in the engine, so it seems doable from my point of view.

shawnlreed

I totally forgot about the little island that you can upgrade. You can get a butler or something? It's been so long lol

That Private Oasis island is the best. They change it's name on the map once you buy it to show it's yours.
I spent 2 hours yesterday finishing all 16 of those sliding block puzzles. That was something I never got around to on the Gamecube version. Super fun.

zroid

Banned
Im getting that as well but I didnt think ww was included.

Yup, it is! I knew they were putting a Wind Waker guide in the set, but it wasn't until later I found out the guide was actually being updated to account for the changes in the HD version. That made me pretty happy.

ohlawd

Is there any word on whether the game hints at the locations in any way? Maybe a new map or something? Since the tuner is gone?

Nope. No hints, no nothing.

lol if you're playing WWHD in a prison cell with no ways of communicating with the outside world, you'll never find the statues.

Unless you're bored and drop bombs everywhere.

Anteo

So today I played WWHD, and I had around 10fps in a particular area. It was awful.
When I was going back to the outset island to talk to lord jabu, I ran into a spot with 5 glowing circles on the sea and a small island with fire on it and a korok that wanted water for his tree, and there was a storm, the game almost broke when both the fire and the glowing spots where on sight.

There are only about 10 people living in Canada, man.

Well canada is that one eshop a lot of people outside the us buy from, me included =P

Marjar

Banned
So today I played WWHD, and I had around 10fps in a particular area. It was awful.
When I was going back to the outset island to talk to lord jabu, I ran into a spot with 5 glowing circles on the sea and a small island with fire on it and a korok that wanted water for his tree, and there was a storm, the game almost broke when both the fire and the glowing spots where on sight.
I've definitely experienced frame droppage but nothing that bad.

Wind Waker too stronk.

So funny watching the reaction to the same games launch 10 years apart be so totally different.

So is there enough new vibes to really make this worth playing?

Anteo

I've definitely experienced frame droppage but nothing that bad.

Wind Waker too stronk.

I was wondering if something was wrong with my game cause some stuff was loading slower than normal today. Next time I will close the game first before turning off the console I think. In fact I had a nasty poopup at one point on the sea, it had me worried really.

Ce-Lin

So today I played WWHD, and I had around 10fps in a particular area. It was awful. When I was going back to the outset island to talk to lord jabu, I ran into a spot with 5 glowing circles on the sea and a small island with fire on it and a korok that wanted water for his tree, and there was a storm, the game almost broke when both the fire and the glowing spots where on sight.

yep, and that's not the only place with major framerate drops, that was the reason why I returned the game yet some people here kept assuring me the original TWW had this bad framerate as well... well yeah, you haven't played the original 2003 TWW then. Peace !

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
yep, and that's not the only place with major framerate drops, that was the reason why I returned the game yet some people here kept assuring me the original TWW had this bad framerate as well... well yeah, you haven't played the original 2003 TWW then. Peace !

You know, you still haven't told us how you managed to return a digital purchase.

tkscz

zlCfzRIm_dkoWP_8HH

zlCfzRIm9qAVCNEmnB

zlCfzRInAwA5UzOxGM

Just some screens I took in game.

Last one is the fault of my slow external HDD. Moved the game over to the WiiU after this one.

zlCfzRI4uI8O2Svrgi

You know, you still haven't told us how you managed to return a digital purchase.
Even if it wasn't digital I can't think of many stores in the US that let you return an open game anymore. Trade-in maybe, but no returns.

I have experienced slowdown in the areas people have been talking about but nothing that's come even close to ruining my enjoyment of the game. It's my favorite Wii U game so far by a large margin which I never would have expected prior to release.

D-e-f-

Banned
Even if it wasn't digital I can't think of many stores in the US that let you return an open game anymore. Trade-in maybe, but no returns.

I have experienced slowdown in the areas people have been talking about but nothing that's come even close to ruining my enjoyment of the game. It's my favorite Wii U game so far by a large margin which I never would have expected prior to release.

He couldn't have traded in a physical copy because physical copies don't exist until next Friday :)

He couldn't have traded in a physical copy because physical copies don't exist until next Friday :)
I picked up on that part but I just thought it was so strange to even hear someone talking about returning a game that they played and didn't like. It was like he time traveled from 2002 and was talking about WWGC or something.
This is such a joy to play on the game pad and with Miiverse. I can't get over it.
Yeah, I'm so glad that I didn't wait until next month to get this. The new features really make the game so much more enjoyable to play than the original game. It's not perfect, but still a huge improvement.

I wish that Nintendo had added a couple of extra dungeons but I totally forgot about all the mini-dungeons that you find while exploring the ocean. There's a ton to do but since so little of it is necessary to finish the game it does make it feel kind of light on content for a Zelda game. And even though I'm just starting the 2nd half of the game I can already tell that the fetch quest is still going to be really annoying as much as Nintendo streamlined it.

One other thing I noticed is that WWHD has the rare distinction of being the only game in my Wii U library that doesn't look better on the pad. I really hope that's a new trend.

I've bought into the "he got a WWHD Wii U bundle and returned it" theory :p
I think he was planning on getting it, played it at a friend's house, and then decided not to get it. He's just saying he returned it so it sounds more extreme.

Or he could actually clarify since he's apparently still in this thread.

EhoaVash

I played wind waker 8 years ago, quit after the 2nd dungeon. now I'm playing it again in HD. My first thoughts was that I really forgot everything about the game. the intro is quite fast unlike recent zelda games and everything is very streamlined. I've been playing the game mostly on the gamepad, off tv play is awesome for convenience. The game does have a few problem though, like the framerate really sucks when you're on the boat and are trying to bomb something or when one of those enemy boats throws a bomb at you =/ also THank goodness for the swift sailing and quick travel or else I would be bored. Even though I haven't beat it, at the Earth temple atm ..the game feels rather short. like the dungeons feel short and the story is moving too fast note * I haven't done much side quests *

The visuals of the game can be amazing to look at during the daytime, also the miiverse tingle bottle is an amazing idea only to be ruined by sefie pics..too many of them and not enough deep thoughts put in the messages. One of my main grips with the game is that sometimes button prompts just don't work. The sidle prompt, it's weird that sometimes it just doesn't work also the Earth temple is annoying because of you having to constantly use the control melody

I wish that Nintendo had added a couple of extra dungeons but I totally forgot about all the mini-dungeons that you find while exploring the ocean. There's a ton to do but since so little of it is necessary to finish the game it does make it feel kind of light on content for a Zelda game. And even though I'm just starting the 2nd half of the game I can already tell that the fetch quest is still going to be really annoying as much as Nintendo streamlined it.

One other thing I noticed is that WWHD has the rare distinction of being the only game in my Wii U library that doesn't look better on the pad. I really hope that's a new trend.
Those 1920 x 1080 pixels are not wasted there XD

Nintendo added a very interesting UI detail. Draging an item on the touch screen causes an overlay over the TV. In your experience people, do you think is posible (with enough game time) to do the item grab withouth looking at the gamepad screen?

Ce-Lin

I think he was planning on getting it, played it at a friend's house, and then decided not to get it. He's just saying he returned it so it sounds more extreme.

Or he could actually clarify since he's apparently still in this thread.

lol yes I wanted to sound EXTREME !!! just kidding, the plot thickened I see, and all based on a negative comment on framerate ? dear Lord, and I believe I promised not to make negative comments in Nintendo threads... my mistake, what can I say, just call detective GAF if you want more details, the bundle thing is a good start though (and a good end). The thing is the game' framerate is terrible in spots (too many spots) compared to the original 2003 TWW (in my personal and maybe wrong opinion that thanks to NeoGAF I can freely post over here).

zroid

Banned
lol yes I wanted to sound EXTREME !!! just kidding, the plot thickened I see, and all based on a negative comment on framerate ? dear Lord, and I believe I promised not to make negative comments on Nintendo threads... my mistake, what can I say, just call detective GAF if you want more details, the bundle thing is a good start though (and a good end). The thing is the game' framerate is terrible in spots (too many spots) compared to the original 2003 TWW (in my personal and maybe wrong opinion that thanks to NeoGAF I can freely post over here).

Thank you for clearing that up
?

Marjar

Banned
The Earth Temples and Wind Temples are a million times better thanks to the lack of an encore when doing Wind Waker songs. It seems like a minor change, but it really drastically changes the pace of these two dungeons due to the constant use of the command melody.

Honestly, all the minor changes make the game nearly perfect. Hell, the Triforce quest was actually pretty fun too.

Top Bottom