• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Ce-Lin

Thank you for clearing that up
?

wait, you really want "clarification" for a personal opinion on framerate ? for a personal decision on returning a game ? for both ? no problem, I can do that fellow GAFfers, well let's just say I experienced in my personal opinion a worse framerate than the original TWW back in 2003, I played both versions back and forth to make sure I wasn't going mad, I'm a Zelda fan, but also I'm a fan of technical proficient games, specially if they're remakes of old games.

and yes got a bundle and returned it, the game is amazing, but the sub 30 and sub 20 framerate in many spots let me down so much I prefer playing the 2003 version even with the somewhat annoying tri-force quest. Still looks glorious on a good plasma and the framerate is solid. No hard feelings, just my problem with framerates, hope someday there's a re-remake at rock solid 60 fps, I'd buy 3 copies.

wait, you really want "clarification" for a personal opinion on framerate ? for a personal decision on returning a game ? for both ? no problem, I can do that fellow GAFfers, well let's just say I experienced in my personal opinion a worse framerate than the original TWW back in 2003, I played both versions back and forth to make sure I wasn't going mad, I'm a Zelda fan, but also I'm a fan of technical proficient games, specially if they're remakes of old games.

and yes got a bundle and returned it, the game is amazing, but the sub 30 and sub 20 framerate in many spots let me down so much I prefer playing the 2003 version even with the somewhat annoying tri-force quest. Still looks glorious on a good plasma and the framerate is solid. No hard feelings, just my problem with framerates, hope someday there's a re-remake at rock solid 60 fps, I'd buy 3 copies.

Is this the part were I claim your crazy and that the framerate drops are near identical?

Yes, yes it is.

Ce-Lin

I was kidding. I don't care.

But for real, thanks for sharing your input on the game.

welcome mate, my favorite Zelda game by far, a shame about the fps, maybe they can patch it, who knows, I was afraid when Cosmo mentioned the framerate drops during his streaming marathon, but I went ahead and had to check that myself.

Is this the part were I claim your crazy and that the framerate drops are near identical?

Yes, yes it is.

well maybe you're right, or maybe it's me who's right, who knows ? so my eyes (brain) deceiving me ? it could be, but at the end of the day I perceived differences and that's all that matters (to me).
random info: my copies of 2003 TWW are PAL editions (collectors' with bundled Ocarina / Master Quest), but they are PAL 60 Hz, no idea if they are different from the NTSC versions though.

welcome mate, my favorite Zelda game by far, a shame about the fps, maybe they can patch it, who knows, I was afraid when Cosmo mentioned the framerate drops during his streaming marathon, but I went ahead and had to check that myself.

well maybe you're right, or maybe it's me who's right, who knows ? so my eyes (brain) deceiving me ? it could be, but at the end of the day I perceived differences and that's all that matters (to me).
random info: my copies of 2003 TWW are PAL editions (collectors' with bundled Ocarina / Master Quest), but they are PAL 60 Hz, no idea if they are different from the NTSC versions though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not crazy about the perfomamce either but I kind of need the console.

lol yes I wanted to sound EXTREME !!! just kidding, the plot thickened I see, and all based on a negative comment on framerate ? dear Lord, and I believe I promised not to make negative comments in Nintendo threads... my mistake, what can I say, just call detective GAF if you want more details, the bundle thing is a good start though (and a good end). The thing is the game' framerate is terrible in spots (too many spots) compared to the original 2003 TWW (in my personal and maybe wrong opinion that thanks to NeoGAF I can freely post over here).
Haha, I was just trying to figure out what you possibly could have meant by "returning" a digital game. So you returned the bundle? That makes more sense.

deleted

Just woke up, realized I had nothing to do today and thought about playing a Zelda game - why not Wind Waker HD? Went on the eShop, was greeted with two realizations: Europe doesn't get the early eShop release AND the game is 60 Euro compared to 50$?! Yeah, no thanks..

Seik

Banned
Question...

B9W1bjr.png

Does that mean the game sold 45K+ so far or that's just the number of posts? I always wondered about this.

PogiJones

Banned
I'm playing WW for the first time. It's the only 3D Zelda I hadn't played. It's a great game.

But I've got a pretty important question (important as the answer could potentially indicate what to expect in the new Zelda): In the original WW, did the various collectible items (butterflies / heroes belts/etc.) pop up a dialogue the first time you picked each one up after loading a save, like in Skyward Sword? It drove me absolutely CRAZY how it did that in SS, so I'm super happy that it's not like that in WW HD. So my question is relevant, because if the original WW didn't have that dumb system, then we can't know that Nintendo knows about the criticism on that point. But if the WW did have that dumb system, and they went out of their way to fix it, then it would seem they've heard the complaints from SS, and they probably will not make the same mistake in the next Zelda.

So, did the dialogue pop up each time in the original?

DeVeAn

I hate shitty frame rates a lot but the only time I notice is when bombs explode. Will never play the original again because Swift sail is too good.

CrisKre

I'm playing WW for the first time. It's the only 3D Zelda I hadn't played. It's a great game.

But I've got a pretty important question (important as the answer could potentially indicate what to expect in the new Zelda): In the original WW, did the various collectible items (butterflies / heroes belts/etc.) pop up a dialogue the first time you picked each one up after loading a save, like in Skyward Sword? It drove me absolutely CRAZY how it did that in SS, so I'm super happy that it's not like that in WW HD. So my question is relevant, because if the original WW didn't have that dumb system, then we can't know that Nintendo knows about the criticism on that point. But if the WW did have that dumb system, and they went out of their way to fix it, then it would seem they've heard the complaints from SS, and they probably will not make the same mistake in the next Zelda.

Afaik it was just the first time.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What are people's guesses on total number of downloads in NA so far? With almost 50k miiverse posters I'd have to guess well over 100k at least?

Bankoiia

Been playing the game for the last two days. The remixed music is awesome. Can't take any pictures in game, though. Guess it's because the Miiverse board hasn't unlocked in Europe as of yet.
VhsQomnl.jpg

D-e-f-

Banned
Those 1920 x 1080 pixels are not wasted there XD

Nintendo added a very interesting UI detail. Draging an item on the touch screen causes an overlay over the TV. In your experience people, do you think is posible (with enough game time) to do the item grab withouth looking at the gamepad screen?

Have you seen the Gamexplain video? I guess not. He mentioned how you don't even need to drag the item exactly to the button icon, you can just flick it in the general direction and it will even bounce off of the screen corners like a pool ball. So yes, you can do this blind once you memorize where the icons for the items are in the inventory.

Been loving every moment of the game though its currently on rotation in my library(Too many games!!) The framerate drops are rather puzzling. It's by no means a huge deal just odd.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

Just curious: why PAL?

D-e-f-

Banned
Question...

B9W1bjr.png

Does that mean the game sold 45K+ so far or that's just the number of posts? I always wondered about this.

No.

Neither actually, it's the number of unique posters

This is what it means:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83810783&postcount=2730

Community participants - This shows the number of people who have participated in this community by writing posts or comments, or giving posts Yeahs.

D-e-f-

Banned
Beat this late last night and enjoyed every second of it. With that being said, game was a lot easier than I remembered it being ten years ago. i am ashamed to admit the only difficulty I had was controlling the shield. Game is absolutely beautiful though and this is probably the most fun I've had this year.

So you didn't play in Hero Mode?

shawnlreed

It seems like the Miiverse community is gradually picking up on the usefulness of Tingle Bottles for completing figurine collections.
I am now frequently getting rare and even legendary pictures in them.
Today I picked up bottles with Knuckles, The Helmaroc King and Cyclos.

It seems like the Miiverse community is gradually picking up on the usefulness of Tingle Bottles for completing figurine collections.

Yeah, I found a bottle with a picture of a Big Octo, which much appreciated. Actually, I think this would be very useful for all of those enemies that are encountered only on the Great Sea.

GulAtiCa

I beat the game for first time yesterday! Really loved the ending.

I had, and still have, the game for the GameCube, but never did finish it.

Anteo

But isn't that more difficult? Having to pay more attention during combat? Or do you mean puzzle difficulties?

As my first time ever playing WW (started on hero mode cause I read the game was easy), I have not find the combat dificult at all, the only times I get hit are when I face a new enemy and have to figure him out. The forest boss got me once when it closed and got 2 hearts out of me but that was it for example, never got me again with that and I beat it rather easly. It would be nice if it added 2x hp´for bosses and 1.5x for minibosses or something, I feel bosses die far to easily.

I dont mind the puzzles, they are nice and I'm not crazy to think nintendo would redesing everything to get a harder quest for puzzles

Yup. This, plus all the little tweaks made to the Pictobox have me actually trying to complete the Nintendo Gallery this time around. I never would have considered doing so in the Gamecube version.

Shaanyboi

Banned

i think it was only the first time and when you got them in chests.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I remember being dissapointed with Wind waker when I first played it. Mostly because of the lack of dungeons and how easy it was. Damn I was wrong...

This game has gotten much better with time, especially after playing Skyward sword. Things I've noticed watching my gf play and playing a few hours myself.

- Less hand holding than Twilight Princess or Skyward sword.

- My god the art destroys all other zeldas! Why nintendo abandoned this look is beyond me. Skyward and Twilight are lifeless compared to WW it's not even funny.

-The combat is leagues better than Skyward Sword, it's easier but more fun.

-The story is a lot simpler and easier to follow with characters you actually care about.

- Less hand holding then Twilight Princess or Skyward sword.
True.

- My god the art destroys all other zeldas! Why nintendo abandoned this look is beyond me. Skyward and Twilight are lifeless compared to WW it's not even funny.
They "abandoned it" because NA people were too insecure to enjoy it when it was first revealed. I put the word 'abandoned' in quotes because they obviously kept using it for the handheld entries, since the art style was more accepted and successful in Japan, and the handheld reigns supreme there.

The combat is leagues better than Skyward Sword, it's easier but more fun.
Disagree. While WW is easier, I think Skyward Sword felt tons better... Wind Waker was kind of the prelude to today's constant "wait for flashing enemy, press counter button, win" mechanic. I did the "hit Orca 1000 times" thing and it was as monotonous and boring as ever.

The story is a lot simpler and easier to follow with characters you actually care about.
I agree for the most part.

ajjow

Going to last dungeon...

Im speechless. I used to hate this game, but the changes they made completely reinvented the game. Really! This is what the original was supposed to be. The changes of playing the music only once to control others characters, the fast sailing, the fast animations... Man, what a awesome game.

I always tought ww was a mediocre game. Now, with the changes, this one is awesome. I have no words to say how good this is.

Thumbs up nintendo.

Picked this game up as a palate cleanser between GTA V sessions, like the game better. Go figure.

Not that I'm surprised, mind you. It was killer when it came out years ago and the graphical cleanup just makes it even more charming.

My external hard drive stopped being recognized, lost my save. I had just hit the half way point. I'll most likely wait for my retail copy to get here.

Dr.Hadji

-The story is a lot simpler and easier to follow with characters you actually care about.

IDK, WW probably has the weakest cast of supporting characters of any 3d Zelda. Link's closest friends are good for about one good emotional jolt (wave goodbye to Grandma) but then they vanish in the story. It always bothered me that Link didn't forge as many strong bonds with the NPCs as well. What few there were, Link only acted as the muscle to help say Medli change the heart of Komali for example. Sure he gives you some props in the end, but Medli is the main agent of change.

WW taking place 100(s) of years later after OOT, and characters and tribes have strong affiliations with those times long past, characters falling into their destined roles had much less to do with Link and more to do with (re)discovering their pasts. Drawing the connect between WW and OOT was grand but I don't think it built much more off of that for the minor characters (basically everyone but Ganon and the King).

More over, I thought the final message of the King and Ganon at the end of the game didn't have much resonance with the rest of the actions you were doing in the game up til that point. As a story that comes after OOT and MM, it occupies a great space. But as a personal journey of the player, the ending makes it feel like the grown ups are talking and when their done you can have your turn in your New Hyrule (that never comes).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
these graphics are really timeless. Please Nintendo make the next Zelda in this style, it could be the best looking game of all times

atbigelow

About to the
Wind Temple
and wanted to throw my thoughts in.

-I stumbled upon the swift sail right after the first dungeon. What a godsend. The extra speed is one thing, but changing the wind direction with it?! Amazeballs.

-Bloom was way over-criticized, as I expected it to be here on GAF. Looks great when moving around and in-game.

-Shadows, however, look like they need work. Seems as though the resolution of them is always capped, so they look amazing from a distance but fall flat on their face when upclose. Also a lot of "shimmering." My favorite area for the shadows is the bomb shop in Windfall, with the spinning fan.

-L button toggles between Item and Map screens on the gamepad. Didn't figure that out for a while.

-Gamepad is fucking god damn very yes. UI is very well done in this game, overall. Doesn't suffer from typical "Nintendo-isms" (ugly fonts, slow text speed, etc.).

-The graphics are fantastic. I still prefer Skyward Sword's painterly look (that unfortunately the Wii didn't have the graphical might to really do), though.

Wind Waker was always a fun game to me, but everything about this version makes it better. I hope they go with something more akin to SS's style with the next Zelda but take some lessons from WWHD.

Top Bottom