• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
oh ode to yoy! Just got a mail telling me that my physical copy had shipped today, so maybe I'll get to play tomorrow already!!!!!!! (I'm in Norway btw)

mstevens

As someone who skipped the GC version, waiting until October 4th for the physical copy (while drooling over all the miiverse screenshots) has been absolutely brutal. Can't wait to get my hands on this thing.

Cosmozone

IDK, WW probably has the weakest cast of supporting characters of any 3d Zelda. Link's closest friends are good for about one good emotional jolt (wave goodbye to Grandma) but then they vanish in the story.
Er, Link returns home at a decisive point in the story, remember?

Downhome

I tried asking this earlier in the thread but got no response, so here goes again: How is the 5.1 surround mix in this game?

I don't think people are mentioning the surround sound enough in this game. I'm early into the game, I just completed Dragon Roost Cavern, but there alone the 5.1 surround mix was one of the most impressive I've ever heard in a video game. Heck, it is better than many movies. More than once I thought the sounds were coming from another source in my house or outside somewhere. I am stunned at how wonderful it is, and how it has taken the game to yet another level along with the new visuals and the other extras and fixes. I'm blown away.

If you have the ability, crank up the volume and immerse yourself even more so in the Wind Waker universe.

Please tell me that Dragon Roost Cavern isn't already the high point for the sound and that it just gets better from there. Anyone else got any thoughts on this aspect of the game?

D-e-f-

Banned
I don't think people are mentioning the surround sound enough in this game. I'm early into the game, I just completed Dragon Roost Cavern, but there alone the 5.1 surround mix was one of the most impressive I've ever heard in a video game. Heck, it is better than many movies. More than once I thought the sounds were coming from another source in my house or outside somewhere. I am stunned at how wonderful it is, and how it has taken the game to yet another level along with the new visuals and the other extras and fixes. I'm blown away.

If you have the ability, crank up the volume and immerse yourself even more so in the Wind Waker universe.

Please tell me that Dragon Roost Cavern isn't already the high point for the sound and that it just gets better from there. Anyone else got any thoughts on this aspect of the game?

stop making me want a 5.1 setup. I've been living in stereoland since birth :D

most advanced I've gotten is four point surround on PC.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I don't think people are mentioning the surround sound enough in this game. I'm early into the game, I just completed Dragon Roost Cavern, but there alone the 5.1 surround mix was one of the most impressive I've ever heard in a video game.

Boy oh boy. Can't wait to crank this mother out come Friday.

Rootbeer

Banned
Saw the WW HD Wii U at Target today. Even though I have WW HD CE on pre-order at gamestop and already own a Wii U 32GB... for about 3 seconds I actually considered buying it. I'm a sucker for all things Zelda.

AzerPhire

My only negative is not being able to invert the y-axis camera controls. How they could include the option for 1st person but not normal gameplay is baffling. Makes the game a chore to play.

Where is the piece of heart in the Forsaken Fortress? I missed it the first time you go there, because I never got thrown in jail. I believe it's in jail or nearby but upon returning I cannot find it and it's impossible to be caught and thrown in jail on the second visit...

Marjar

Banned
Where is the piece of heart in the Forsaken Fortress? I missed it the first time around because I never got thrown in jail. I believe it's in jail or nearby but upon returning I cannot find it and it's impossible to be caught and thrown in jail on the second visit...

It's near the jail cell. Right outside the crawlspace you exit when escaping the cell.

It's in the same room you find the map.

Downhome

My only negative is not being able to invert the y-axis camera controls. How they could include the option for 1st person but not normal gameplay is baffling. Makes the game a chore to play.

Oh God, I wish we had that option. I would be thrilled if they could add this in an update or something. It is my only single complaint that I have with WWHD.

It has totally screwed me up going back and forth between this and GTAV. Each time I switch I have to take a second to readjust my entire mindset. Yes, I could switch the controls in GTAV I guess, but I'm not going to train my mind to having the WWHD way be the default way. I have too many years of training behind me now, lol.

zroid

Banned
WWHD is actually the 2nd best selling game of all time on the Canadian eShop now. Only behind Super Metroid, which as you know was priced at $0.30 for a month. We Canucks sure like our Zelda.

Tingle bottles are the best thing ever. Adds a new thing to do while sailing, and I think I'll actually be able to get all of the figures this time!

This is 10 times better than the GCN version, easily. The additions are small but mean soooo much.

EDIT: I love Hero Mode. For Dragon Roost it can be a real pain because you have no way to heal yourself yet, but that can be alleviated by saving and quiting, which will get you back to 3 hearts.

So what's the verdict on the Hero mode: is it frustrating ir does it make the game better?
I completely disagree with LaunchpadMcQ, Hero mode is the best thing to happen to this game. When I played the original I basically ignored my health meter. Hearts were plentiful which meant no need for potions which meant no need for money (except for the triforce quest). Having to prepare before entering a dungeon, whether that be to stock up on bait to bribe rats or to collect monster bits to turn into potions adds a whole new layer to the game. You can't just run into battles swinging your sword because each heart matters, so planning every attack is key. It makes the game feel a lot more like a dangerous adventure.

And despite what some people are saying, Hero mode doesn't feel tacked on, but well planned. In the first dungeon you have an empty bottle, you find a rat hole in the middle of the dungeon, so you can finally fill up with a potion. If you don't have bait you can buy some from Beedle outside. There's always a way to fill up on hearts if you're smart.

Hero mode should be called normal and normal mode should be called easy, imho.

RoySFNR

I love this art style so much. The vivid colors just put a smile on my face that almost no games on other platforms can. Nintendo messed up the release of the WiiU but I really feel like they can pull this back if they keep pushing out games as beautiful and timeless as this one. Really refreshing coming off of a generation filled with shades of gray and 'mature' serious business. Call it a cheap port but it did remind me why I started playing videogames back in the day and I'm loving every moment of it.

Amazing stuff. Makes me feel young again.

massoluk

Banned
Need some help here after my underwater visit,
how do I figure out where to go after I met the two sages and get the two new songs? IMPORTANT, I'm not asking where, I'm asking how do I get next clue. The Red Lion just say door with musical instrument thing, but nothing comes to my mind. I regretfully read the spoiler and it said to go see the bird girl and the forest boy, but where were I'm supposed to be told of these in the game? How am I supposed to arrive at that conclusion properly in game?

ajjow

I completely disagree with LaunchpadMcQ, Hero mode is the best thing to happen to this game. When I played the original I basically ignored my health meter. Hearts were plentiful which meant no need for potions which meant no need for money (except for the triforce quest). Having to prepare before entering a dungeon, whether that be to stock up on bait to bribe rats or to collect monster bits to turn into potions adds a whole new layer to the game. You can't just run into battles swinging your sword because each heart matters, so planning every attack is key. It makes the game feel a lot more like a dangerous adventure.

And despite what some people are saying, Hero mode doesn't feel tacked on, but well planned. In the first dungeon you have an empty bottle, you find a rat hole in the middle of the dungeon, so you can finally fill up with a potion. If you don't have bait you can buy some from Beedle outside. There's always a way to fill up on hearts if you're smart.

Hero mode should be called normal and normal mode should be called easy, imho.

I couldnt agree more. Now i understand why i hated ww so much. Hero mode makes all the difference!

Soren01

ibaKN3MY0PlpxV.jpg

ihI9uszitAUf0.jpg

iPqqfjVpxvaiC.jpg

ibpwMx2ohcs4ZY.jpg

ibsn8sOn6ozieu.jpg

i9w2tuOcYu7Md.jpg

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAAAYUKk_fqYwLg

shawnlreed

Need some help here after my underwater visit,
how do I figure out where to go after I met the two sages and get the two new songs? IMPORTANT, I'm not asking where, I'm asking how do I get next clue. The Red Lion just say door with musical instrument thing, but nothing comes to my mind. I regretfully read the spoiler and it said to go see the bird girl and the forest boy, but where were I'm supposed to be told of these in the game? How am I supposed to arrive at that conclusion properly in game?

On each tablet where you learned the new songs is a symbol. The Wind Temple tablet symbol looks like a leaf violin so that clues you in to going back to Forest Haven. The Earth Temple tablet has a harp on it. I'm not sure how you would know this, but the bird girl Medii is playing that harp when you go back to Dragon Roost island. Maybe the game is more explicit and I just missed the hints, but that's how I figured things out.

ohlawd

WHAT THE HELL IS THE FOREST FIREFLY FOR NOW!?

yeah lol first thing I did when I got to Forest Haven was catch a Firefly.

You can still give it to Lenzo for a Joy Pendant. He says some other stuff too but I'll let you enjoy it for your own.

Holy shit auction, I do not fucking want this fucking joy pendant for like 200 rupees, I WANT THE FUCKING SAIL. But no, I lost the auction, and now the only option is to win it so this thing can just go the hell away.

Marjar

Banned
Holy shit auction, I do not fucking want this fucking joy pendant for like 200 rupees, I WANT THE FUCKING SAIL. But no, I lost the auction, and now the only option is to win it so this thing can just go the hell away.

You can leave the auction by pressing B. I just did this over and over again until the sail popped up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
On each tablet where you learned the new songs is a symbol. The Wind Temple tablet symbol looks like a leaf violin so that clues you in to going back to Forest Haven. The Earth Temple tablet has a harp on it. I'm not sure how you would know this, but the bird girl Medii is playing that harp when you go back to Dragon Roost island. Maybe the game is more explicit and I just missed the hints, but that's how I figured things out.

The two people are carrying the items whenever you see them, it's really hard not to figure it out so long as you've been paying attention.

Holy shit. Not only does the Pictobox hold 12, not only does it tell you if a photo is good for a figure, and not only can you get photos from the Tingle bottles...

But you can dump 12 photos onto the figure making guy and have all of them made in one. Fucking. Day.
GOTF.

Holy shit. Not only does the Pictobox hold 12, not only does it tell you if a photo is good for a figure, and not only can you get photos from the Tingle bottles...

But you can dump 12 photos onto the figure making guy and have all of them made in one. Fucking. Day.
GOTF.
What? How did I not notice this???

I feel sheepish :/

FyreWulff

GOTF.

The Triforce hunt wasn't the bad part of the game compared to the Pictobox statue part. That sounds so much better.

I didn't realize it until I had already done like 12 pictures 1 by 1... just gave it a try next time around and was like OMG YES
I never bothered with the Nintendo gallery in the original, so you could only have 1 figurine made at a time? That's crazy. I just unloaded all my photos without a second thought.

DeVeAn

My god, after beating this version I could NEVER play the Gamecube version to the end ever again. Even with the tweaks it can still get tedious sailing around. I still adore the game, its awesome. I notice though that lots of the sidequests are pretty cryptic for today's standards. I had to check a FAQ here and there just so I knew where to head next.

Really like the way MiiVerse stuff has been integrated in the game so damn cool.

D-e-f-

Banned
WOO my copy shipped! Let's hope it arrives by next Tuesday (and without customs snatching it up for no reason)! :D So excited!

zroid

Banned
I keep checking my online cc statement to see if I've been charged, lol. Nothing yet. :(

So long as it ships by Thursday though, it should be fine.

Amalthea

Banned
My LE came today. Sadly there are some colors on the back of Ganon that got smeared a bit. But overall, a nice hefty figure.

Nyoro SF

I'm aiming to 100% the game, and yes, the pictobox changes are huge. Personally I wish the box had an upper limit of, say, 100, but I guess they had their reasons.

I finished the gallery so quickly thanks to that change. Goodbye previous Nintendo Gallery master, you will be missed (whoever he's based on).

Top Bottom