• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Draconian

so ya... I died on the first boss...on normal. I beat this game when I was 16 on gamecube and seriously just died from the first boss. OH my

It took me a bit longer to figure out how to beat it than it should have, but there's heart containers all over the place thankfully, which makes it easier.

Eusis

Man, playing on Hero mode really reminds me of how Dark Souls combat-wise basically isn't really that different from Zelda, though it'd be nice if Hero Mode were a bit nicer balanced for it (being able to reliably buy hearts, something other Zelda titles didn't really have much of a need for, or just drastically reducing their drop rate while keeping the buffed enemy damage the same). Still, there's those tense moments where you know one bad surprise can get you killed, and now I really hope the next game lets me switch locked on enemies by flicking the right stick, of all the things to take from Dark Souls and Demon's Souls that's probably most important.

Did you say... Tingling?
Tingle_by_SugaSuga42.gif

Fandangox

Man, playing on Hero mode really reminds me of how Dark Souls combat-wise basically isn't really that different from Zelda, though it'd be nice if Hero Mode were a bit nicer balanced for it (being able to reliably buy hearts, something other Zelda titles didn't really have much of a need for, or just drastically reducing their drop rate while keeping the buffed enemy damage the same). Still, there's those tense moments where you know one bad surprise can get you killed, and now I really hope the next game lets me switch locked on enemies by flicking the right stick, of all the things to take from Dark Souls and Demon's Souls that's probably most important.

I think Hero Mode as it was in SS and WWHD works fine. No hearts and double damage means stuff like red potions and fairies will actually have an use.

Ein Bear

You know when you think back fondly on a game you played years ago, one that you used to love and in your mind's eyes looks better than what really was?

For me this game is my mind's eye version of Wind Waker but real and playable.

I got this feeling from Ocarina of Time and Lylat Wars on the 3DS too. Nintendo seem really good at remaking games as you remember them, rather than how they actually were.

Argh I wish this game was out in Europe :(

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Probably.

If Nintendo releases a white Wii U that doesn't suck this game will be bought.

Buy a cheap basic and a cheap HDD or USB stick depending on your dd plan. You'll need more than 32gb at some point anyway. That's what I did. White Wii U is so beautiful.

guek

Banned
There's something so very comforting about this game. I had a rough day yesterday. Screwed up a history, cost the hospital a pretty penny, got chewed out, felt like a proper dumbass...

then i came home and played through dragon roost island. I haven't played this game in 10 years but everything still felt wonderfully familiar, like and old friend I haven't seen in a long time. Playing on Hero mode is wonderful. The game still isn't incredibly difficult, and the dungeon design doesn't come close to TP or SS, but man is it just so wonderfully soothing.

I'm jealous of everyone with hero mode. Would make the game a lot better in my opinion and make exploring more rich. I'm placing the the three pearls right now and I'm getting a little restless but I like it so far. I keep finding big face stones on islands, can I do stuff with those now or do I have to wait for later?

Skilletor

so ya... I died on the first boss...on normal. I beat this game when I was 16 on gamecube and seriously just died from the first boss. OH my

I got stuck in the fortress for a good 15 minutes because I didn't think to jump on a lantern to get to another platform. I felt really stupid.

I was recording footage and then I got stuck and was running in circles and thought, "I can't upload this. The internet will laugh at me."

I got stuck in the fortress for a good 15 minutes because I didn't think to jump on a lantern to get to another platform. I felt really stupid.

I was recording footage and then I got stuck and was running in circles and thought, "I can't upload this. The internet will laugh at me."

You have to upload it.

Those eureka moments must be shared.

Exile20

You cant use the headphones while in TV mode....So how the F***! do you get a refund?

I have no clue why this is not a thing for all Wii U games. TW101 actually mutes the tv when you plug in headphones in the game pad whether you are playing on the tv or gamepad.

Peterthumpa

Is this game running @ native 1080p and with AA? Screenshots looks fabulous but I'm a little bit afraid of buying a Wii U only for this game just to get disappointed by the graphics later.

EDIT - and does it look as stunning as those screens when played via the GamePad?

Is this game running @ native 1080p and with AA? Screenshots looks fabulous but I'm a little bit afraid of buying a Wii U only for this game just to get disappointed by the graphics later.

EDIT - and does it look as stunning as those screens when played via the GamePad?

Native 1080p but no AA

And the gamepad's colors are muted compared to the TV feed.

It looks great on TV and Gamepad. Better than the screens shown here.

Posted this in the screenshot thread, but I like it so much I'll post it here too:

zlCfzRIn2yoYXebFOX

massoluk

Banned
My first time playing Wind Waker (cleared LA, LTTP, OOT, TP, and SS, but never touch WW).
I felt dumb. I struggled for a very long time in Forest Haven because I didn't know you can adjust the direction of the plant spitting you out with left stick. Then I wasted more than an hour trying to get a chest in Forbidden Woods, not knowing you can climb the rope I swing around.

Should have consulted Miiverse more.

:\

GulAtiCa

I love swift sail. Makes things so much easier. I travel between the islands between mere minutes. It amazes how fast islands will appear and disappear off the horizon.

Eusis

I think Hero Mode as it was in SS and WWHD works fine. No hearts and double damage means stuff like red potions and fairies will actually have an use.
Point, it's admittedly more of an early game problem. No one sells hearts (though this is remedied through saving and quitting admittedly), and you're not given a bottle until JUST BEFORE the first dungeon, and I can't even recall if I can go back to Windfall Island to get a potion. Though at that point it's probably better to just soldier through then backtrack for a potion.

leroidys

Man, this game is so good. I'm really loving the old school difficulty of Hero mode - it really forces you to master your arsenal.

I'm in the tower of the gods right now, and constantly switching between the bombs, grappling hook, arrows, boomerange, and occasionally pulling out the deku leaf.

I always thought the distinction that Skyward Sword is the only game that utilises a large part of your arsenal constantly was a fairly dubious and arbitrarily assigned accolade - my (re)experience with WW so far just confirms that suspicion.

I'd love to play more of this game, but after it was declared not to be a system seller my bundle vanished into thin air.
edit:
Also I just learnt you can use the empty bottles against phantom ganon like the butterfly net in ALTTP, this is my fifth time going through...

Point, it's admittedly more of an early game problem. No one sells hearts (though this is remedied through saving and quitting admittedly), and you're not given a bottle until JUST BEFORE the first dungeon, and I can't even recall if I can go back to Windfall Island to get a potion. Though at that point it's probably better to just soldier through then backtrack for a potion.
You can get a potion in Dragon Roost Cavern by throwing bait in front of the rat hole.

Revven

The swift sail makes me do sidequests I never had a desire to do in the original. An example of this would be last night where I actually bothered to do the trading sequence to fill up the merchant's shop in Windfall. I didn't know there were a few other cool items you could place down on those little pots or w.e besides the flowers until I did the full trading sequence last night.

Plus, I never got to see the fully expanded shop until last night. It looks pretty cool. The reward for doing it might not be the greatest but the visual payoff (the merchant's shop being expanded) is worth it imo.

(I did do some of the quest in the original to get the Magic Armor, obviously, but never pursued doing it in *full* because of the slow sailing for two of the goron merchants).

I'm tempted to do the Spring Water quest but I think I might just do that on my 100% playthrough instead lol.

Cess007

My first time playing Wind Waker (cleared LA, LTTP, OOT, TP, and SS, but never touch WW).
I felt dumb. I struggled for a very long time in Forest Haven because I didn't know you can adjust the direction of the plant spitting you out with left stick. Then I wasted more than an hour trying to get a chest in Forbidden Woods, not knowing you can climb the rope I swing around.

Should have consulted Miiverse more.

:\

Wait, didn't the Forest creatures tell you directly that you can change the direction when you wanna get launched/spitted? I remember they do.

In my case, when the original came out, i play like just until half of the game 'cause i had to return it to the friend who lend me it. The other night i was stuck on
with the final statue in the Tower of the Gods; i couldn't remember what i was supposed to to and remain there for like 45mins before i "got it". That made me feel waay dumber that i should!

massoluk

Banned
Wait, didn't the Forest creatures tell you directly that you can change the direction when you wanna get launched/spitted? I remember they do.

May be I missed that, I figured it out myself, then I'm outraged that there's a forest dude giving that hint on the second platform after I launched myself there and figured it out.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
When are you going to teach me how to get my spelunker money back, Ce-lin??

Skilletor

My laptop broke and my desktop doesn't have an SD card reader, so I haven't been able to upload videos, but I'll be getting an SD card reader tonight.

I didn't get the beginning of the game, so I'm going to be uploading stuff starting from getting the boat. I'll try to cap my entire playthrough and make a playlist of it.

I just got to the bird dude island. Can't wait to get to the first real dungeon!

New Wii U owner here. Some thoughts:

-I really like all the improvements, specifically the touch-screen map and items, the faster text, the Miiverse functionality, and the graphics. holy wow the graphics.
-the Gamepad in general is amazing
-the next mainline Zelda game is going to be amazing

AGoodODST

The lighting (outdoor aside) is really, really good. It works well with the more solid look of the characters. When Link is opening a chest he looks like he's stepped straight out a Pixar movie.

Sucks us in EU don't get to download this early. Can't wait for the October 4th!

So I was playing the game on monday and dam this game hasn't lost any of it's charm in 10 years. The artstyle and soundtrack have held up so well.

The opening section of the game really moved me. I'm talking about the part
where you come back your grandma's to get the shield and it's missing to due her hiding it because she didn't want you to leave. She reluctantly gives it to you and link did his item find expression but even though the visuals are so simple and there is no voice acting, the combination of the music, and her expression was so sad. I don't remember the track because I probably rushed out the door not paying attention to the dialogue. And after that when link sails away with the pirates and he looks back and sees his grandma watching.... dam all those feels.
10 years later and the game not only holds up well but I've matured in these past 10 years to view it from a different perspective as well.

oh yeah, I'd like to point out that the re-done soundtrack sounds fucking excellent.

So nice to hear these beloved tunes in such higher quality.

Anteo

Played yesterday till the end of the first real dungeon in hero mode. It was hard without the heart drops and not knowing where to go for sure. For some reason I could hit ghoma with Z target and the rope after breaking the armor at first, so I thought maybe that was not the way. After many deaths trying to figure out how to kill it, tried z target again and it worked. Well that's one dungeon done and now I have 4 hearts.

Also I totally missed that fairy on the entrance to the boss chamber. Would had made it easier.

Subaru

So I was playing the game on monday and dam this game hasn't lost any of it's charm in 10 years. The artstyle and soundtrack have held up so well.

The opening section of the game really moved me. I'm talking about the part
where you come back your grandma's to get the shield and it's missing to due her hiding it because she didn't want you to leave. She reluctantly gives it to you and link did his item find expression but even though the visuals are so simple and there is no voice acting, the combination of the music, and her expression was so sad. I don't remember the track because I probably rushed out the door not paying attention to the dialogue. And after that when link sails away with the pirates and he looks back and sees his grandma watching.... dam all those feels.
10 years later and the game not only holds up well but I've matured in these past 10 years to view it from a different perspective as well.

I always cry in that part... I'm almost crying just reading you! =~

One thing I dislike is that when you're using the clawshot or boomerang, the right stick aims...which means unless the item is equipped to R, you can't aim and shoot at hte same time.

I feel the same way, since I am trying to play with the Pro controller. I think I'm going to need to make the switch to Gamepad with gyro controls too...

Top Bottom