• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

ij22ZAQ9e9wTM.jpg
Hot.

Seriously, this is fucking amazing!!I haven't played the game on Dolphin, so I can not really make any comparisons, but aside from technical nitpickings, I can only just proclaim this as gorgeous, as cartoony gorgeous, to be more appropriate..

flattie

Really struggling to get into this. I'm appreciating the streamlined mechanics, where they have been tweaked, and the visuals are lovely (dem 1080p rupees), but to be honest I'm just finding the game boring.

I played it to death back on the Cube, but thought a decade of non-contact would be fine enough to make it worth a second look; unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've pretty much just auto-piloted my way to the Forbidden Forest and am struggling to motivate myself to really go back and see it through.

Slightly disappointed, as I was quite hyped for this. Ah well; you win some, you lose some!

Zushin

So how's this game for somebody who hasn't had basically any experience with Zelda (except OOT 3DS)? Is the story self contained, etc? Cheers.

Lynd7

Story is definitely self contained, but you would get even more out of it being familiar with the story in Oot.

LAA

I admit I got into this slowly, but now I'm really enjoying it. Feeling like a contender to skyward sword, which I consider my favourite Zelda personally, followed by Twilight Princess maybe quite closely.

jblank83

Started last night.

The bloom. Sometimes it works really well and perfectly highlights edges, fairly realistically. Other times it's just way too much.

Other than that, it's beautiful and plays beautifully and it reminds me why I like Zelda so much. Looking forward to playing more.

D-e-f-

Banned
So how's this game for somebody who hasn't had basically any experience with Zelda (except OOT 3DS)? Is the story self contained, etc? Cheers.

Zelda story is always self contained. It's the entire premise of the series. "Legend" of Zelda. This isn't Metal Gear ;)

Any Zelda game is a game you can pick up and play without any prior experience. They're all made that way.

I could easily do those things, but I'd much prefer to just access it from the menu like in the GC version. If Nintendo allows the use of the Pro Controller, they should at least make it so everything is available through the menu.
Alrighty, I don't have a pro controller but I'm assuming off TV play would work the same since it's just one screen. Pull out the Wind Waker and hit start. Tada, all your songs!

Zushin

Story is definitely self contained, but you would get even more out of it being familiar with the story in Oot.

Zelda story is always self contained. It's the entire premise of the series. "Legend" of Zelda. This isn't Metal Gear ;)

Any Zelda game is a game you can pick up and play without any prior experience. They're all made that way.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Looks like I'll pick it up tomorrow!

Dougald

I really, really like the miiverse integration. I thought it sounded terrible when I first heard about it but some of the community comments I have seen are brilliant

TriGen

I've played 2-3 hours so far, and I'm having a blast. I only played through WW once back in 2003, so even though I remember some of it, most of it feels fresh and new -- especially with the HD graphics.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
im surprised that digital foundry haven't put an article about this game, considering that they did with almost if not every HD remake so far, im interested to know whats the native resolution this game runs and also how bad are the frame rate dips some people are talking about

im surprised that digital foundry haven't put an article about this game, considering that they did with almost if not every HD remake so far, im interested to know whats the native resolution this game runs and also how bad are the frame rate dips some people are talking about

I'll put my 2 cents in.
It doesn't happen often, but when it does, its usually at the Volcano Island or really random spots. Pulling into Windfall last night it dropped to about 20 (give or take) and stayed there for 5 seconds. I always lost frames going by the Volcano Island though.

This game....man, I can't stop posting screens.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01cna9q.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01blu6f.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0177uoe.jpg
Nice captures. But there seems to be a glitch with your game. You have some weird artifacts overlaying the image, they kind of look like text and small icons.
Is the heat distortion effect still there?
For some reason (technical maybe) Nintendo toned down the effect quite a bit. A shame really since it was the most shocking effect in the original.
Really struggling to get into this. I'm appreciating the streamlined mechanics, where they have been tweaked, and the visuals are lovely (dem 1080p rupees), but to be honest I'm just finding the game boring.

I played it to death back on the Cube, but thought a decade of non-contact would be fine enough to make it worth a second look; unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've pretty much just auto-piloted my way to the Forbidden Forest and am struggling to motivate myself to really go back and see it through.

Slightly disappointed, as I was quite hyped for this. Ah well; you win some, you lose some!
It is the exact same game after all, people are in graphics whore mode so they are hyped as f*ck right now. Once you get past the visual novelty the original's flaws start to show up again. Although the tweaks help aliviate things to some extent.

As i expected the review average took a considerable dive from the original. But even with that i think is still too high.
I admit I got into this slowly, but now I'm really enjoying it. Feeling like a contender to skyward sword, which I consider my favourite Zelda personally, followed by Twilight Princess maybe quite closely.
Well Skyward has better dungeons and the god like controls. Twilight has the best dungeons of the 3. And Wind Waker has that perfectly and consistent artstyle.

D-e-f-

Banned

We've known for months that this game runs in 1080p natively. You don't need DF for that. They'd probably also make the framedrops sound far worse than they are by ignoring how the weird "cinematic" slowdown and hit-freeze works in this game.

We've known for months that this game runs in 1080p natively. You don't need DF for that. They'd probably also make the framedrops sound far worse than they are by ignoring how the weird "cinematic" slowdown and hit-freeze works in this game.
Nope, they have a frame counter. It's a pretty objective way to measure the frames. If it is enough to bother a person or not, then that's anothe story.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Here and there I've been playing while sitting 2 feet away from my 50 inch screen. I can guarantee, it is 1080p. When there's aliasing, it's a 1:1 match for my screen's pixel grid.

I have the feeling I'll be playing all 1080p games sitting on my coffee table. Sitting back 8 feet or so on my couch, so much of the detail is obscured. When you're right up on it it's jawdropping.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thanks to the cleaner textures I'm noticing details I'm sure I didn't spot in the original.

Of course the first time I played it it was on a tiny television.

Anteo

This game starts with a small retelling of the Hero of Time adventure. You dont really need to know this to play it but you already played OoT so you will be fine. In fact the moments when they reference that game will be twice as effective to you.

Edit: And yes the story is always self contained, even for direct sequels like Majora's Mask.

d1rtn4p

Just finished up the first dungeon and this game is fantastic. The last Zelda game I played was OOT on the N64 and I'm already liking this one a lot more with how it starts out.

RagnarokX

Zelda's story is always self-contained... except for Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Zelda 1, Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, A Link Between Worlds, Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks...

Most of the games can be played individually without getting lost, but some are more heavy on the connections than others. Wind Waker references Ocarina of Time A LOT, but it recaps the events of that game at the beginning.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It feels a bit odd when they've tweaked even really early things - like the camera being available from the beginning.

The round pale thing has to be colour right? Because he isn't accepting my picture and I remember being annoyed by him 10 years ago. They should have changed it so he complains about the picture not being colourful or something - you aren't given any idea why you got it wrong so you start looking for other things to take a photo of.

D-e-f-

Banned
Zelda's story is always self-contained... except for Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Zelda 1, Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, A Link Between Worlds, Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks...

Most of the games can be played individually without getting lost, but some are more heavy on the connections than others. Wind Waker references Ocarina of Time A LOT, but it recaps the events of that game at the beginning.

They're still all entirely self contained. It doesn't go beyond referencing it. There are no plot points being strung throughout multiple games or character arcs. Yes, PH may feature the same Link and Tetra from WW but none of the events from WW are relevant to the experience in PH, for example. Same is true for OoT & MM - what you did in Ocarina happened to the Link you see sleeping on his horse in the intro to MM but it has absolutely no bearing on the story of Majora's Mask, in spite of the Zelda-flashback and continued use of the ocarina itself. Self-contained stories can reference others and make use of call-backs but that doesn't mean they're not self-contained and allow for the player to enjoy them completely independently of the other titles.

It feels a bit odd when they've tweaked even really early things - like the camera being available from the beginning.

The round pale thing has to be colour right? Because he isn't accepting my picture and I remember being annoyed by him 10 years ago. They should have changed it so he complains about the picture not being colourful or something - you aren't given any idea why you got it wrong so you start looking for other things to take a photo of.

Are you showing him a pic of it taken at
the right time of "day?"

RagnarokX

They're still all entirely self contained. It doesn't go beyond referencing it. There are no plot points being strung throughout multiple games or character arcs. Yes, PH may feature the same Link and Tetra from WW but none of the events from WW are relevant to the experience in PH, for example. Same is true for OoT & MM - what you did in Ocarina happened to the Link you see sleeping on his horse in the intro to MM but it has absolutely no bearing on the story of Majora's Mask, in spite of the Zelda-flashback and continued use of the ocarina itself. Self-contained stories can reference others and make use of call-backs but that doesn't mean they're not self-contained and allow for the player to enjoy them completely independently of the other titles.

This doesn't sound like it matches what you are saying now.

Wind Waker is probably the Zelda game that is most reliant on a previous Zelda game. They reference OoT throughout. But you don't have to play OoT because they recap it for you. If they didn't do that you would probably need OoT. The reason you can get by with WW has nothing to do with it being a "legend". Twilight Princess, though, you'd probably be lost. A lot of people were lost even having played OoT.

I believe all Pictograph related sidequests aside from the first one for Lenzo require the Deluxe Picto Box.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This doesn't sound like it matches what you are saying now.

Wind Waker is probably the Zelda game that is most reliant on a previous Zelda game. They reference OoT throughout. But you don't have to play OoT because they recap it for you. If they didn't do that you would probably need OoT. The reason you can get by with WW has nothing to do with it being a "legend". Twilight Princess, though, you'd probably be lost. A lot of people were lost even having played OoT.

The majority of the OOT references in the Wind Waker script are hidden beyind ancient Hylian. Literally the only thing you need to know, in terms of OOT references, is "Ganon was a bad dude, a hero sealed him away." Which is how basically every Zelda game begins these days, an ancient tale of an old defeat that may or may not even correspond to an existing game. The rest of the intro builds on that with non-OOT events. There are fanservice references throughout the game, sure, but the plot is in no way "reliant" on knowledge of OOT.

Mecca

Alrighty, I don't have a pro controller but I'm assuming off TV play would work the same since it's just one screen. Pull out the Wind Waker and hit start. Tada, all your songs!

Thank you! I only wish I had known this from the beginning. :/

I finally got around to trying out the screen shot feature. I'm pretty far into the game so I hope these aren't spoilerish. One thing I never get tired of is hitting Moblins in the butt with my sword and watching them run around. It never gets old.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ahjnx.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ufslh.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01d0sn6.jpg

Tiktaalik

I don't recall how it was handled in the original WW, but the world map in this game is so poorly done that it's just irrelevant. It's a blurry mess and completely useless.

It's a real shame that Nintendo didn't go with multi-touch tech for the Wii U because ideally you'd have a well crafted "pinch to zoom" map instead of a blurry texture that just gets blurrier when you tap to zoom in.

D-e-f-

Banned
I don't recall how it was handled in the original WW, but the world map in this game is so poorly done that it's just irrelevant. It's a blurry mess and completely useless.

It's a real shame that Nintendo didn't go with multi-touch tech for the Wii U because ideally you'd have a well crafted "pinch to zoom" map instead of a blurry texture that just gets blurrier when you tap to zoom in.

How does pinch to zoom change that a blurry texture gets blurrier? That's like saying you want a steak-knife instead of a butter-knife to eat your soup.

I can't seem to find an option to have the sound only come out of the headphone jack on the Gamepad. Is that not possible for this game?

D-e-f-

Banned
I can't seem to find an option to have the sound only come out of the headphone jack on the Gamepad. Is that not possible for this game?

Correct.

This, among a ton of other things, should really be added to the OP. What's the point of having one of it doesn't have crucial info like this?

Tiktaalik

How does pinch to zoom change that a blurry texture gets blurrier? That's like saying you want a steak-knife instead of a butter-knife to eat your soup.

Sorry yeah I'm talking about two things at once. What I mean is that I wish that Nintendo would recognize that at this point people are expecting things to work like Google Maps, where when you zoom in it replaces the tiles and it's not just a single static image. As well they expect pinch to zoom from mobile. Putting these two things together and you have a really great map experience.

With Pikmin 3 the map felt dated and poorly crafted, but with this game it's even worse and just feels worthless to me. In the dungeon it's not much of an issue, but they could have made something so much better with the towns.

Correct.

This, among a ton of other things, should really be added to the OP. What's the point of having one of it doesn't have crucial info like this?

That's pretty disappointing. Seems like a feature that should be in every Wii U game that gets played with the Gamepad.

Sorry yeah I'm talking about two things at once. What I mean is that I wish that Nintendo would recognize that at this point people are expecting things to work like Google Maps, where when you zoom in it replaces the tiles and it's not just a single static image. As well they expect pinch to zoom from mobile. Putting these two things together and you have a really great map experience.

With Pikmin 3 the map felt dated and poorly crafted, but with this game it's even worse and just feels worthless to me. In the dungeon it's not much of an issue, but they could have made something so much better with the towns.
My only complaint about the map is that when I'm trying to find an island by name, and I'm clicking around, the little pop-up map of each island gets in the way.

Top Bottom