• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Kouriozan

Spent 5 straight hours playing this, didn't happen since MH3U!
Currently getting heart pieces and items before the 3rd dungeon.

Zalman

It seems that most people who haven't spent time with the game pad hate it, and most people who have one or play with one frequently love it. I know that I bought a pro controller thinking I'd use it more, but I always gravitate to the game pad.

Hopefully the stigma around it changes as more and more of the gaming population gets experience with it.
Yup. I haven't met a single Wii U owner yet who dislikes the GamePad. People usually try it out at a store for about four minutes and say, "Nope, that's not for me" or "This thing sucks." I think you have to try it with a handful of different games to get it.

Haines

Banned
I know its probably been said a ton, but man this game looks amazing. Im actually kind of happy I skipped the GC version way back and I am getting to play it first like this.

Yeah, same goes for OOT for me. Played a little of both but could never do a return to finish. Playing OoT 3D was one of the best experiences Ive had in gaming. Hopefully they continue the Zelda-makes bc Id love to play Majora for the first time as well.

Haines

Banned
Yup. I haven't met a single Wii U owner yet who dislikes the GamePad. People usually try it out at a store for about four minutes and say, "Nope, that's not for me" or "This thing sucks." I think you have to try it with a handful of different games to get it.

This. Played it in store with Rayman...ehh its ok.

Bought one. Holy crap this is light and it feels comfy and I have this awesome screen and...!

Zelda feels awesome having the touch screen.

Reminds me a lot of the 3DS. I can't even count how many people I've let try mine while travelling who basically gave it a chance for like a minute and then were like "Nope! not happening!". Such a big change from when people would visit me, randomly ask if they could try the Wii and then I'd have to fight them to get the Wii remote out of their hands.

I'm guessing the 2DS is meant to try to win back the 3DS skeptics but how does Nintendo convince people to give the Wii U pad another chance?

Jacobbles

Just reached Ganon's Tower. I've played through the whole thing with the Pro Controller and with the Gamepad on it's stand on my coffee table, it's been fantastic.

I tried off-TV play and just couldn't do it. The screen on the Gamepad isn't bad, but after playing for hours in 1080p... it just wasn't the same. Not to mention the Pro Controller is 100x comfier to hold than the Gamepad.

linkboy

Reminds me a lot of the 3DS. I can't even count how many people I've let try mine while travelling who basically gave it a chance for like a minute and then were like "Nope! not happening!". Such a big change from when people would visit me, randomly ask if they could try the Wii and then I'd have to fight them to get the Wii remote out of their hands.

I'm guessing the 2DS is meant to try to win back the 3DS skeptics but how does Nintendo convince people to give the Wii U pad another chance?

The 2DS exists to get the hardware down to $129, which is where Nintendo handhelds typically sell the best (the GBA and DS Lite did gangbusters at that price point).

Albo

zlCfzRIkS9I14BRtXK

This is wood worthy of the Deku true's branches. Need more pics this wood please- during sunset, sunrise, in the rain, during storms, in the moonlight and in different angles.

Speaking of this games textures, Hexadrive, a japanese indie dev announced on their site a couple of weeks ago that they worked on this games textures. I don't imagine nintendo would do the same for Zelda U and risk leaks when they can work more closely with one of their first party studios for help assuming they want to get the game done quicker.

A bit off topic here, but I'm curious about the release date of Zelda U. Given that most recent zelda's have released in the holiday season, whether nintendo would be willing to release this game before holiday 2015 if it misses a holiday 2014 date. It happened for MK8 and DK:TF, though these were under different circumstances which by this time next year, things could be different.

Hypothetically, If the Wii U lineup for the first half of 2015 is lacking, then I could see them aiming for that release window, that's if development goes smoothly which it never usually does and assuming miyamoto doesn't come in during the final months to up end tea tables. Still it's wishful thinking on my part. Late 2015 is most likely, realistically speaking.

Robin64

Piece of Heart, Treasure Chart, Joy Pendant, Treasure Chart, Joy Pendant, Joy Pendant, Joy Pendant, Joy Pendant, Joy Pendant, Joy Pendant....

I could scream at this fucking auction house!

oatmeal

Banned
500 gets you a heart. 999 is the max and you get a silver rupee and the last title from him "master" or some shit.

I filled in the entire map yesterday and had a ton of fun doing it. So many little islands I totes forgot about.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a way to unequip something? Wanted to not have a fairy bottle on my X button because I keep hitting X instead of B, but I couldn't drag it off the Y button. Is the only option to equip something else on it?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This game runs at 1080p. And it's usually 30fps, with the exception of a couple moments out at sea or the occasional boss fight.

I've seen the game's framerate judder for a second on the ocean with what seems to be streaming lag.

I was under the impression that otherwise all the "slowdown" during gameplay, certain kinds of explosions, and boss moments was intentional. Drama sensitive bullet time.

Qurupeke

500 gets you a heart. 999 is the max and you get a silver rupee and the last title from him "master" or some shit.

I filled in the entire map yesterday and had a ton of fun doing it. So many little islands I totes forgot about.
I see, I'll try it some time... I think...

oatmeal

Banned
I see, I'll try it some time... I think...

I was doing it and then checked on a Wiki how many for the heart container...it was 500, so I got that without getting hit, and I didn't want to mix up the prizes of getting 999 (would I get the HC or the Rupee?) so I just said fuck it and took the HC and left.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Anyone experiencing "slowdown" with things like bombs on the sea, go back to Outset Island, and cut down those tiny groups of trees. The screen does a little shudder/blur effect that could seem like slowdown to the untrained eye. Is that the same effect you're seeing elsewhere in the game? If so, it aint slowdown. If it's different, though, you may be on to something.

Also, for anyone lamenting that they didn't photograph the first boss in color, you will have another chance to get that photo much later in the game. So don't fret!

I've seen the game's framerate judder for a second on the ocean with what seems to be streaming lag.

I was under the impression that otherwise all the "slowdown" during gameplay, certain kinds of explosions, and boss moments was intentional. Drama sensitive bullet time.

yep. as with when you hit an enemy, every time a bomb goes off the game pauses for effect. I have seen some drops out on the ocean during a storm, that I don't think were intentional.

I wasn't saying the game never drops from 30 FPS though. But it is absolutely 1080p and 30 fps. Just not a locked 30 fps.

Wii U is all it needs to be. If we get games that look like WWHD/3D World, who needs 1.31/1.84tflop and hyperrealistic artstyles? I prefer stylised games over realistic ones any day. If you enjoy another artslyte more, then ok, got no problem with that. But IMO WWHD and 3D World are easily the prettiest games ive seen so far. And yes ive seen Titalfall and Killzone.
This response reeks a bit of persecution complex as it is not related much to my comment. Remember you said this:
Artstyle >>>>> Technology

the-legend-of-zelda-phantom-hourglass-5.jpg

Which is somewhat a dubious statement as the example above clearly shows. Just look how the Wind Waker artstyle translates into DS level hardware. More over, basically you are creaming your pants at this remastering when most of the visual changes are related to the upgrade in hardware I.E.: 1080p native rendering, bloom, cleaned up textures or the ambient oclusion. All tech related. The assets such as character models and environment geometry remain the same.

To top this off, a hughe visual diferentiator is that the game adopted a more realistic light simulation instead of the stylised one present in the GC game. Imagine that XD

In conclusion, is not an "this or that" matter, is about technology helping maximize the potential of an art style. So there you go friend.

Neff

Man I never realized how many hearts I burned through normally until hero mode. Had to do the reset save heart trick for dragon roost a few times. Damn lava and bats. It shouldn't be as much of a problem once I get more hearts and potions though.

I think it shows why the hearts were so plentiful/damage so weak originally. The game's combat is rather slapdash imo. You're far more likely to hurt yourself by accidentally combo-ing yourself into lava, or by leaving yourself open when mashing away at an enemy that can't be hit despite being in proximity, than any legit failure on your part. The abundance of health ensured that we never really noticed, or cared.

D-e-f-

Banned
Anyone experiencing "slowdown" with things like bombs on the sea, go back to Outset Island, and cut down those tiny groups of trees. The screen does a little shudder/blur effect that could seem like slowdown to the untrained eye. Is that the same effect you're seeing elsewhere in the game? If so, it aint slowdown. If it's different, though, you may be on to something.

Ha! this is exactly what I noticed earlier and wanted to post here!

Also, to the person talking about sound design and there being no sound when you walk through grass was absolutely wrong. The grass leaves totally rustle when you walk through tall grass!

The beginning of this game is very poorly balanced for Hero Mode, considering you can't get Potions until after Dragon Roost. From the beginning to the end of Dragon Roost Cavern it's a complete drought of health save for like the four or five Heart Pieces you can get before the dungeon. Not as bad once you get to Forest Haven though, much more manageable.

EDIT: I will agree with what Neff said a few posts above--Hero Mode displays how poorly constructed TWW's fighting system and controls are.

FSLink

Banned
The beginning of this game is very poorly balanced for Hero Mode, considering you can't get Potions until after Dragon Roost. From the beginning to the end of Dragon Roost Cavern it's a complete drought of health save for like the four or five Heart Pieces you can get before the dungeon. Not as bad once you get to Forest Haven though, much more manageable.
Not true since you can feed bait to mice in the Dragon Roost dungeon for a potion.
Fairy available near boss door as well.
I wouldn't say the balance is perfect at the beginning, but it's not that bad.

Tumo

Really wasn't feeling it yesterday playing the intro & Forsaken Fortress but after doing Windfall and Dragon Roost today I'm loving it. The game looks so clean and crisp.

Hero Mode makes it far more engaging as you can die very easily. I'm having to actually think and plan the fights not just breezing through.

Beautiful
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01qjkwf.jpg

So, I picked this up on the 4th and all I can say is it's awesome. It's definitely worth buying if you haven't played it at all/in a while, and it's beautiful. I took this in the second dungeon, the light and colors were just great.
nwrb.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

EDIT: I will agree with what Neff said a few posts above--Hero Mode displays how poorly constructed TWW's fighting system and controls are.

I completely disagree with the poor construction and control comment. That really has nothing to do with the game, at all. The increased difficulty made me aware of my own sloppy play. That's all. After an initial shock, I simply took my time and made it through Dragon Roost without dying with three hearts.

Tookay

Sometimes I think it's intentional, but then there's stuff like when Gohma emerges from the lava pool in his introduction cutscene and the game dips to 20fps. That definitely isn't there for dramatic effect.

And, yeah, there are some judders when the game is streaming islands (more noticeable when you have the Swift Sail and quickly bounce back and forth between squares).

Peff

It's both. There's the usual split-second pause and also framerate drops, mostly when a bomb destroys something big and other effect-heavy situations, but thankfully it's not very common.

NickMitch

After some time with WW HD I really wish that nintendo would do another cel-shaded zelda, set in hyrule...They would have so much freedom with character design and art...

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01mikde.jpg

when playing the game hit the home button then use your favorite image upload site in the web browser. when you hit browse the wii u will ask if you want to post the tv or gamepad image.

i use abload.de myself.

inner-G

Banned
Man, I never played more than an hour or so of the original, but this version is really grabbing me. Gorgeous and charming.
Like me

Can't wait for my pro controller to show up. Won a eBay auction for one for like $20 at 3 am, lol. I think I'll like it more that way, the gamepad is so wide it feels weird to me for 3d games.

inner-G

Banned

when playing the game hit the home button then use your favorite image upload site in the web browser. when you hit browse the wii u will ask if you want to post the tv or gamepad image.

i use abload.de myself.[/QUOTE]
What button combo actually saves the screenshots while you're in-game though?

solarus

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01mikde.jpg

i use abload.de myself.

That smoke looks fantastic, wow. Wind waker art style is eternal.

Man, I never played more than an hour or so of the original, but this version is really grabbing me. Gorgeous and charming.
Like me

Can't wait for my pro controller to show up. Won a eBay auction for one for like $20 at 3 am, lol. I think I'll like it more that way, the gamepad is so wide it feels weird to me for 3d games.
As an advice, you should get used to the pad. Been wide is an advantage since the hands rest better when separated more. It also adds motion aiming that works better than sticks.

I feel sorry for the pigs because i think the chicken put up a better fight in the past games XD

Top Bottom