• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Exile20

Just got my NA WWHD LE version. It looks really nice. No dome sucks but oh well. FU NOA.

I have WW101 to finish then Pikmin 3 then WWHD.

Does anyone remember if you could get a figurine pictograph of Gohdan before he activated in the original version? When I entered his room in this version today I thought "what the hell" and I snapped a picto of him still hanging on the wall and, to my surprise, it was labeled "Good."

Now I haven't taken the picture back to Carlov to be sculpted yet, but I would think that if the game considered it to be good then he would take it. But I seem to remember in the original version that you couldn't do that. Does anyone know if I'm remembering correctly or not?

Timeaisis

Ganondorf is a nice figure. The only problem is his damn feet don't fit squarely in the stand the give you (NA)...It's really a challenge to get him to stand on that thing. Ugh.

mstevens

I ran into such a headache over setting up my Zelda Wii U console. Like a few I'm sure, I had a Wii U before but I ended up in the Zelda edition of the hardware (I was still inside the return window when the Zelda bundle was announced). While I knew about the lack of personal accounts and digital transfers, I figured it would be worth losing 2 VC games to get my hands on that limited edition Zelda gamepad with Zelda art.

Then I found you can't use your Nintendo Network ID on another Wii U console ever again. So I create a new one and spelled "NeoZuko" with "0"s instead of "O"s, as I do when my name is taken (which is rare - some guy in Mexico who never goes online grabbed my usual nick on PSN and YouTube. Everywhere else I've been good). So no big whoop, right?

It gets better. So then my Club Nintendo won't link to my Wii U, apparently you can't link another Wii U to it. Ever. Or delink anything. Ok, let us make another. Oh wait - you can't. It seems that it cross checks my email, my real name, and home address and won't let me create another account. So perfect!! I guess you are only allowed one Wii U console your whole life. I hope it never breaks!!

So I had to change my old Club Nintendo to a secondary email, edit the real name section on my profile to the short version of my name, and change my street address to my sisters. Then I could create the new Club Nintendo and link it to the new Nintendo network ID on my new Zelda Wii U Console. This took forever to figure out and it's why (and with a lack of non hardware based accounts) I don't buy or want full retail style games on the eShop. I even sold my Zelda WW digital download and grabbed the retail disc version instead. Nintendo, pretty please create accounts separate from hardware ok - it's not hard.

Now excuse me, I need to pick up my Club Nintendo Tee-Shirt at my sister's house now.

You could have just used the new game pad with your old system. I doubt they would have checked when your old game pad with the new system.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Does anyone remember if you could get a figurine pictograph of Gohdan before he activated in the original version? When I entered his room in this version today I thought "what the hell" and I snapped a picto of him still hanging on the wall and, to my surprise, it was labeled "Good."

Now I haven't taken the picture back to Carlov to be sculpted yet, but I would think that if the game considered it to be good then he would take it. But I seem to remember in the original version that you couldn't do that. Does anyone know if I'm remembering correctly or not?
While I can't remember if it possible to do that in the original, I did the exact same thing and Carlov accepted it.

I suppose since Gohdan is still there after you beat him one could just open up a completed file (assuming you haven't got the figruine) and try it in the original.

cube444

I really hope Nintendo patches the game so that we can have sound coming from the Gamepad. It's the only thing keeping me from buying the game - even when I'm able to use the TV, everyone in my home is asleep, so I need to use headphones.

Is it possible to turn off the sound completely from coming out of the game pad?

Is it possible to turn off the sound completely from coming out of the game pad?
Just turn the volume all the way down.
I ran into such a headache over setting up my Zelda Wii U console. Like a few I'm sure, I had a Wii U before but I ended up in the Zelda edition of the hardware (I was still inside the return window when the Zelda bundle was announced). While I knew about the lack of personal accounts and digital transfers, I figured it would be worth losing 2 VC games to get my hands on that limited edition Zelda gamepad with Zelda art.

Then I found you can't use your Nintendo Network ID on another Wii U console ever again. So I create a new one and spelled "NeoZuko" with "0"s instead of "O"s, as I do when my name is taken (which is rare - some guy in Mexico who never goes online grabbed my usual nick on PSN and YouTube. Everywhere else I've been good). So no big whoop, right?

It gets better. So then my Club Nintendo won't link to my Wii U, apparently you can't link another Wii U to it. Ever. Or delink anything. Ok, let us make another. Oh wait - you can't. It seems that it cross checks my email, my real name, and home address and won't let me create another account. So perfect!! I guess you are only allowed one Wii U console your whole life. I hope it never breaks!!

So I had to change my old Club Nintendo to a secondary email, edit the real name section on my profile to the short version of my name, and change my street address to my sisters. Then I could create the new Club Nintendo and link it to the new Nintendo network ID on my new Zelda Wii U Console. This took forever to figure out and it's why (and with a lack of non hardware based accounts) I don't buy or want full retail style games on the eShop. I even sold my Zelda WW digital download and grabbed the retail disc version instead. Nintendo, pretty please create accounts separate from hardware ok - it's not hard.

Now excuse me, I need to pick up my Club Nintendo Tee-Shirt at my sister's house now.
Give Nintendo support a call.

I'm thinking of going back and giving Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess another shot. How bad do they look running on Wii U?

I think they look fine. Not as sharp as Wind Waker HD obviously, but decent enough. Also, Nintendo re-added Dolby Surround sound to Wii mode in the last update, so if you have a good set-up for that, now's a good time to replay those older games.

Fabrik

Banned
Dumb question, just making sure. But Off TV mode is OK? It is when playing on TV with gamepad?

For the ones who have played all games should I get WW HD first or

Pikmin 3
W101
Rayman Legends
Splinter Cell

I am inclining for W101 and WW HD first, will get them all eventually.

I don't know your tastes but go for Pikmin 3 (My GOTY so far), then W101 as they are brand new games with a lot of replayability. Bingo mode is excellent if you have a partner. Rayman Legends is good too but too short and not very replayable IMO. Getting 100% is tedious. WW HD is WW with all the flaws removed (Without Nintendo having to add new content).

EloquentM

aka Mannny

At the very least they would've fixed your club Nintendo stuff if you had called.

cube444

Nope not rare at all. Possible a limited run eventually though.

Good to know.

Just wanted to add that back in the day I cringed when I first saw the E3 video of Wind Waker. However, I owned a GameCube and instantly fell in love with the game when I bought it day one.

Playing it again now on Wii U, no game in the series can match its charm.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_015vsw2.jpg

I love this game.

Are there any games that have even half of the atmosphere?

I really hope Nintendo patches the game so that we can have sound coming from the Gamepad. It's the only thing keeping me from buying the game - even when I'm able to use the TV, everyone in my home is asleep, so I need to use headphones.

Wait what? There's no sound through the Gamepad? Every Wii U game I've played has sound on the Gamepad.

Just started this today. Never played WW before. What a beautiful fucking game. I'm not super far in yet, but really liking it so far.

Wait what? There's no sound through the Gamepad? Every Wii U game I've played has sound on the Gamepad.

I'm absolutely getting sound through the game pad. I played the first hour of it offtv.

I'm guessing I have to use my wireless headphones if I want to play the game on the TV without waking anyone? I wish I could have the game play normally but have all the music and sound effects come through the gamepad.

I'm thinking of going back and giving Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess another shot. How bad do they look running on Wii U?

I've been playing Twilight Princess and...not so good. The WiiU displays it just fine, but the game looks a bit gravelly on an HDTV. That said, I got used to it after a while. Skyward Sword didn't begin life as a Gamecube game, so it may look a bit better.

zroid

Banned
Might be worth a try playing Twilight Princess on the GamePad screen. Yeah it's kinda weird using a Wiimote/nunchuk with the GamePad, but the screen is Wii native resolution so it should look quite good. Maybe prop the Pad in its charge cradle on a coffee table or desk and go nuts.

Loaded Man

One more day until my LE copy arrives from Gamestop. The wait is killing me.

To those like myself who purchased the original but never finished it, has the HD remake given you extra motivation to get to the end this time?

Timeaisis

I've been playing Twilight Princess and...not so good. The WiiU displays it just fine, but the game looks a bit gravelly on an HDTV. That said, I got used to it after a while. Skyward Sword didn't begin life as a Gamecube game, so it may look a bit better.

I might pull out the 'ol Skyward Sword Wiimote to try some game-pad Wii play after finishing Wind Waker. I'm on a Zelda kick now. Gotta continue the trend until ALBW.

Darryl

Banned
I've officially gotten as far as I ever had when I was younger. I feel bad for never having beat this game as a kid even though I did manage to get a copy and was game starved at the time. It just never clicked to me. I thought Toon Link was a disgusting concept until he was in Brawl. Now I think this guy is hilarious. Were his facial expressions always so exaggerated and funny? I never noticed that part about him.

Bullza2o

Started this game on Hero mode. It was almost embarrassing that I almost died at the Forsaken Fortress when looking for my missing sword. I survived with 1/2 a heart left --basically 1 hit away from Game Over. I like this challenge.

One more day until my LE copy arrives from Gamestop. The wait is killing me.

To those like myself who purchased the original but never finished it, has the HD remake given you extra motivation to get to the end this time?

Heck yeah. I know everybody under the sun has said it, but the game just looks staggeringly beautiful. I'd seen the videos and the pictures but even still, it wasn't until I sat down and played it myself that it hit me. And the game feels so good on the gamepad, particularly after coming off of Twilight Princess. Hours just fly by. I appreciate it so much more on the U than I did on GC.

Zolbrod

Heck yeah. I know everybody under the sun has said it, but the game just looks staggeringly beautiful. I'd seen the videos and the pictures but even still, it wasn't until I sat down and played it myself that it hit me. And the game feels so good on the gamepad, particularly after coming off of Twilight Princess. Hours just fly by. I appreciate it so much more on the U than I did on GC.

This.
It just plays so much smoother now, I have a hard time putting it down.
It's a good example of how games can really benefit from a second screen (especially if it's a touch screen).

As for people complaining about the price: Ask not why this game is more expensive than other HD ports, ask why other HD ports aren't as good as this one.

Kjellson

Man, they really improved the Nintendo Gallery in this version. I can't believe you could only hold three photos and he could only make one figure per day in the original. And that golden stamp is a godsend.

Busaiku

I almost forgot that you can jump with The King of Red Lions.
This was why I never got bored with sailing before.

Before I pressed ZR here, I was thinking, "why is this so boring".

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I almost forgot that you can jump with The King of Red Lions.
This was why I never got bored with sailing before.

Before I pressed ZR here, I was thinking, "why is this so boring".

I love jumping off high crests when the sea is angry, and gettin wild air. Cowabunga dudes!!!

ajim

First time playing WW as I never owned a GC, and first impressions are - awesome! And comparing this to TP/SS this is the 'perfect' amount of hand-holding from a Zelda game. It's not too invasive, and not too constant, the game let's you take over and figure things out on your own for the most part.

And that was one thing that stopped me from completing skyward sword - the hand-holding was so rampant, right through the game :(

Looks absolutely lovely too.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I got the leaf in my game session yesterday, I love it, one of the best items in the series.

It's hard to believe how well it has aged. I have a thought for the people who will discover the game with this remake, specially the kids. It can't be anything but a mind blowing, jaw dropping experience.

Top Bottom