• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Porcile

You don't need to go faster all the time when you have the swift sale. Press A to start sailing and the wind doesn't change. Press A again and the wind will change and you'll also be traveling faster.

I see. Sounds like a pain in the ass to get though. I'll wait till I'm ready to do sidequests that require more sailing about.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I see. Sounds like a pain in the ass to get though. I'll wait till I'm ready to do sidequests that require more sailing about.
Pain in the ass? Walk into the auction with 1000+ rupees and buy the first item available. After winning that auction exit the door and re-enter and then buy the next item. Repeat until you've won all 5 items available.

Porcile

Pain in the ass? Walk into the auction with 1000+ rupees and buy the first item available. After winning that auction exit the door and re-enter and then buy the next item. Repeat until you've won all 5 items available.

I don't have 1000+ rupees yet!

Timeaisis

How do you replenish your hearts in hero mode again? Also, where is the swift sail auction house?

I think the only way is to drink a potion, which you can buy from the potion maker at Windfall. The auction house is on Windfall island, up the slope, in the rich guys house at night. You'll know it because it has a fancy red door.

Dartastic

I think the only way is to drink a potion, which you can buy from the potion maker at Windfall. The auction house is on Windfall island, up the slope, in the rich guys house at night. You'll know it because it has a fancy red door.
Ah, that's what I thought. I need to get a goddamn bottle. -.-

I had to laugh out loud when I read this last night:

zlCfzRJkJrAF20MgNo

Then I thought about it and asked myself if it was in the original when it first came out.

I checked a youtube video of that part and the text is identical in the GC version...

So what is it: Did the creators back in 2002 have a magic 8-ball or had Nintendo everything planned out for the next 10 years back then?

Zero148

all the screens made me buy the game, again. looking forward to replay it in 1080p and with glorious 5.1 surround sound

zlCfzRJkJrAF20MgNo

Then I thought about it and asked myself if it was in the original when it first came out.

I checked a youtube video of that part and the text is identical in the GC version...

So what is it: Did the creators back in 2002 have a magic 8-ball or had Nintendo everything planned out for the next 10 years back then?
Keep in mind, when it was written, it was basically about the lack of a DVD player. The GC was the gaming system that didn't do the things the PS2 and Xbox did and was perceived as less cool and less capable because of it.

You could perhaps see this as Nintendo not having amazing hardware or robust online systems that the other systems do. Another way to interpret it is with cynical irony, that Nintendo is now the one with gimmicky attractions compared to other systems that just have a controller and a box.

I personally just think back to the DVD player days.

sinxtanx

FINALLY bought a Wii U with this game. Last Mario trailer tipped the scales.

Got it with a good deal too, its the premium bundle with the special Zelda gamepad, no complaints here, but the whole package cost less than just buying the premium. So I'm really satisfied.

THESE DOWNLOAD TIMES HOWEVER
I'm on fiber ffs

daakusedo

Exploring dragon roost island, I began to be thrilled by how it looks, I rarely had this sensation just by looking at a game, maybe resident evil 4 back in the day and Mario galaxy, I don't even think the original wind waker made me feel like this.
And the detailled map system on the screen is the kind of immersive and useful stuff I like, we even have fishes advices stored now.

Keep in mind, when it was written, it was basically about the lack of a DVD player. The GC was the gaming system that didn't do the things the PS2 and Xbox did and was perceived as less cool and less capable because of it.

You could perhaps see this as Nintendo not having amazing hardware or robust online systems that the other systems do. Another way to interpret it is with cynical irony, that Nintendo is now the one with gimmicky attractions compared to other systems that just have a controller and a box.

I personally just think back to the DVD player days.

Good explanation, that didn't cross my mind. Personally I don't recall that the DVD capabillity of the PS2 was the big pull for the system around here. Don't get me wrong, it had a lot more hype surrounding it, but it was either "It's going to have FFX!!11!", or "lol Nintendo is for kiddies". No one I knew got an Xbox...

THESE DOWNLOAD TIMES HOWEVER
I'm on fiber ffs

Huh, that's strange. Zelda was the last thing I downloaded and the first file after the big system update and it was literally the fastest download speed I ever got on any of my consoles. No joke.

Timeaisis

zlCfzRJkJrAF20MgNo

Noticed the same thing yesterday.

Furthermore...
zlCfzRJmNV8EQv_VSv

I did a double take, as well. Surely this must've been updated text, right? Nope.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yuck, hating the feel of items like the Boomerang on not R.
Well, it's better than the original I guess.

Tak3n

Banned
I don't have 1000+ rupees yet!

you need 300 max

go to auction house (nighttime) if the sail does not come up, press B to quit, leave house go back in, I got the sail on the 3rd time

just keep bidding 10% over what is bid to stun everyone for 10 seconds

I must have gotten somewhat lucky with the auction. I went there after Dragon Roost and the Swift Sail was the first item there. I think I wound up winning it for a few hundred rupees - maybe 330? No hassle at all.

I didn't even care how much it wound up costing because you get mad rupees in this game.

I am only just now on Windfall Island but I am having a lot of fun so far. Its just so beautiful. I am definitely taking my time with this one. I believe I have gotten all of the heart pieces that can be attained from this island at the moment and I just upgraded my Pictograph so I can take colored pics. The Tingle bottles are much cooler than I thought they would be to I am enjoying picking them up when I see them just to see others pics.

Im really surprised however how far some people are and still taking black and white pics. I guess not everyone is aware of how to get the colored version, or just don't care. I sent out all the pics required for his tasks so hopefully I can help out at least one person trying to figure it out. Of course I sent with Spoiler tags as well.

Time to finally make my way out to sea and see how this Hero Mode can test me!

linkboy

I'm passed the half way point for the game and as much as I love Wind Waker, it could have been so much better.

I would have loved a game where you have to get the 8 Triforce pieces from 8 different dungeons both located on the Great Sea and
down in Hyrule proper

I just picked up the Swift Sail and I don't know how I played the game without it, makes it so much quicker to sail around.

I'm passed the half way point for the game and as much as I love Wind Waker, it could have been so much better.

I would have loved a game where you have to get the 8 Triforce pieces from 8 different dungeons both located on the Great Sea and
down in Hyrule proper

I just picked up the Swift Sail and I don't know how I played the game without it, makes it so much quicker to sail around.

Addition of a few dungeons would have made this the greatest Zelda ever. The Triforce mission is the only thing that holds Windwaker back in my opinion.

Timeaisis

It amazes me how after 10 years, this games "open world" still draws me in far more than real open world games with 10x the area size. There always seems to be stuff to do and explore, the people have personalities and the discoveries are always fun and novel. I really can't put my finger on it, but there's something fun about exploration and discovery that Zelda just does better than other series...even if the world is less grandiose. I wish there were more games like this.

Haines

Banned
beat dragons roost.

was gorgeous. some spots had a more realistic look and so it looked like i had a video game character running around in the real world. love that look.

Walk Link up to the edge of a cliff. You can use the broken bridge at Outset Island.

Stand up in real life and hold your GamePad directly in front of your face, very close. Switch to off-TV and first person view. Now look down and all around you and it's like Poor Man's Oculus Rift.

Porcile

Any returning players not choose Hero Mode? I started out with it on, but Link's animation every time your health goes low pissed me off. It's annoying early on because you don't have many bottles or access to fairy fountains.

Timeaisis

Any returning players not choose Hero Mode? I started out with it on, but Link's animation every time your health goes low pissed me off. It's annoying early on because you don't have many bottles or access to fairy fountains.

I'm playing on normal. Hero mode sounded a little too intense for me. I'll try it next playthrough.

I didn't do Hero mode. I just wanted to immerse myself in the world and not be frustrated at all. I might do a 2nd Hero run after my initial completion.

I haven't seen people complain about the bloom anymore. In the screens users are posting, the lighting looks very natural in the game's environment. I'm guessing it was an overblown issue, or just isn't a problem in the released version?

I'll complain right now. I always try to keep the camera tilted down so I can't see the sky because that blur effect is literally hard on the eyes.

Is this like the fog in older games that help mask the draw distance?

What draw distance?

This draw distance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draw_distance

It also has this to say about Wind Waker in particular so I guess it might be a technical issue.

"The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker uses a variant of the level of detail programming mentioned above. The game overworld is divided into 49 squares. Each square has an island inside of it; the distance between the island and the borders of the square are considerable. Everything within a square is loaded when entered, including all models used in close-up views and animations. Utilizing the telescope item, one can see just how detailed even far away areas are. However, textures are not displayed; they are faded in as one gets closer to the square's island-this may actually be an aesthetic effect and not to free up system resources. Islands outside of the current square are less detailed-however, these far-away island models do not degenerate any further than that, even though some of these islands can be seen from everywhere else in the overworld. In both indoor and outdoor areas, there is no distance fog-however, there are some areas where "distance" fog is used as an atmospheric effect. As a consequence to the developers' excessive attention to detail, however, some areas of the game have lower framerates due to the large amount of enemies on screen"

Timeaisis

Question for y'all?

Was boss title cards never in this game? I could've sworn I knew the names of the bosses without looking it up online when I played this 10 years ago, but replaying it they don't give the bosses names in-game...outside of the figurines.

oh man, joy joy joy playing this game.

For me its interesting to read forever and a day on neogaf about Nintendo being 'not in the arms race' re specs against Sony and Microsoft - and then having the experience of sitting down and being completely wowed playing a just an upgraded version of the 10 years old ww in hd. This kind of visual fidelity coupled with Nintendo obvious talent with artwork is what I've been waiting for since n64.

Nintendo should absolutely be in the game re graphical power, shame on them to not be.

Its absolutely criminal that Nintendos output has been so poor on the Wii U. Can you imagine titles of WW HD quality being released every month post launch!

What the fuck were their internal teams doing 2010 - 2013. I dont get it.

Just four games in a whole year are worth my time on the Wii U - Zombie U, Pikmin 3, W101 and WW HD.

Its just even more exasperating to now read about Wii Sports Club - where was this at launch?

This draw distance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draw_distance

It also has this to say about Wind Waker in particular so I guess it might be a technical issue.

"The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker uses a variant of the level of detail programming mentioned above. The game overworld is divided into 49 squares. Each square has an island inside of it; the distance between the island and the borders of the square are considerable. Everything within a square is loaded when entered, including all models used in close-up views and animations. Utilizing the telescope item, one can see just how detailed even far away areas are. However, textures are not displayed; they are faded in as one gets closer to the square's island-this may actually be an aesthetic effect and not to free up system resources. Islands outside of the current square are less detailed-however, these far-away island models do not degenerate any further than that, even though some of these islands can be seen from everywhere else in the overworld. In both indoor and outdoor areas, there is no distance fog-however, there are some areas where "distance" fog is used as an atmospheric effect. As a consequence to the developers' excessive attention to detail, however, some areas of the game have lower framerates due to the large amount of enemies on screen"

Yeah that's referring to the GC release.

The HD version has the whole world map loaded and the only reason the effects remain is it would have required effort to change it.

Its absolutely criminal that Nintendos output has been so poor on the Wii U. Can you imagine titles of WW HD quality being released every month post launch!

That would be something.

Tak3n

Banned
Loving this game so much, it is simply brilliant, sure one can say it is not hard, but it does not need it, the story and journey are just great....

A tinge of sadness fills me though, as they just don't make games like this anymore...

Semajer

Well, just finished 100%ing the first file. By 100% I mean all the upgrades, all the hearts, all the items, all the sidequests, the Nintendo Gallery, and even all of the rings of light on the ocean and Beedle's vouchers. I also filled up all my rupees, bombs and arrows, so there are a whole bunch of yellow numbers in my inventory screen.

It took 36ish hours, and I am now done with Wind Waker for some time.

pa22word

First time playing this game and I'm having a little trouble nailing down how to chart areas so they show up on your map. After I beat the first dungeon a little fish popped up and told me I had to do something with the bait, but it's slipped my mind since then (I just beat the second dungeon) exactly what he wanted me to do. I already tried checking the manual but didn't see anything.

First time playing this game and I'm having a little trouble nailing down how to chart areas so they show up on your map. After I beat the first dungeon a little fish popped up and told me I had to do something with the bait, but it's slipped my mind since then (I just beat the second dungeon) exactly what he wanted me to do. I already tried checking the manual but didn't see anything.

Those little fish will show up around (i believe all) islands - you just gotta float up near him and throw some bait. He'll map the island and give you a hint.

I also absolutely love how your player icon shows up on treasure chart maps when you get near them. Wonderful.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
buy the red food from Beedle and find him on an acre of ocean. L-target and throw bait

chronosic

Beedle will sell you bait. In each square you can find a fish jumping out of the water. Get close to him and throw some bait in the water for him and he will fill in square your in on your sea chart, and give you some random info about the world.

ohlawd

Any reason why you'd want to 100% your first file? You aren't wearing the slickest outfit in the game.

Dem pajamas. Beat your enemies in style! With 20 Heart Pieces and a stacked wallet!

Top Bottom