• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

The dungeons are still meh gameplay wise and some parts will always be boring, and what were they thinking when making the swift sail so difficult to obtain. Anyway, it's still one of the best games I've ever played.

chronosic

The dungeons are still meh gameplay wise and some parts will always be boring, and what were they thinking when making the swift sail so difficult to obtain. Anyway, it's still one of the best games I've ever played.
The swift sail was a piece if cake to get. Auctions r hard lol.

Darryl

Banned
Started this game on Hero mode. It was almost embarrassing that I almost died at the Forsaken Fortress when looking for my missing sword. I survived with 1/2 a heart left --basically 1 hit away from Game Over. I like this challenge.

I tried it but caved and switched it off on Dragon Roost because the constant deaths from the surprise attacking monsters and falling in lava was getting too annoying.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When you head to
underwater hyrule castle,
that place is so full of melancholy, it is a surprisingly moving moment for me,considering the relatively light tone of the game generally.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
forgot you had to do all the
mini deku tree sapling things
in one go. Did 4 on my way to another island and figured I'd do the rest later. Nope. oh well, got the swift sail now (super auction expert sniper)

Tak3n

Banned
Just a caution

Played for 4 hours last night, headed all the way south for the Swift sail, it did not turn up on first auction..

no way to quit mid auction so quit.....

no auto save :( 4 hours lost..... so make sure you save before you go to the auction...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just a caution

Played for 4 hours last night, headed all the way south for the Swift sail, it did not turn up on first auction..

no auto save :( 4 hours lost..... so make sure you save before you go to the auction...
You can press B to exit the auction at any time though... sucks...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
my LE edition just arrived, wow the Ganondorf figurine is less cheaparse than I imagined, it actually looks quite good!

cant wait to play it

Exile20

Heck yeah. I know everybody under the sun has said it, but the game just looks staggeringly beautiful. I'd seen the videos and the pictures but even still, it wasn't until I sat down and played it myself that it hit me. And the game feels so good on the gamepad, particularly after coming off of Twilight Princess. Hours just fly by. I appreciate it so much more on the U than I did on GC.

You are making it so difficult. I still have to finish TW101 and Pikmin 3 is on my shelf untouched. After TW101 maybe I should start WWHD. Decisions....

Jackano

Just a caution

I save like every 5 minutes outside and every each cleared room inside dungeons... You clearly have been used to autosave which is the real cause here. I'm not saying it's bad or that it's a problem, but it picture your gaming habits/history. Quiet interesting... sucks for your lost gameplay thought.

Grampasso

One thing I discovered yesterday:
you can read again the hints of the fishes you gave the bait to whenever you want, from the map select one square, if you gave the bait to the fish there will be the fish icon in full color on the right of the screen, right under the treasure charts legend. Tap on the fish icon and the message will be readable again in the gamepad screen.
Oh, the usefulness!

Porcile

you can read again the hints of the fishes you gave the bait to whenever you want, from the map select one square, if you gave the bait to the fish there will be the fish icon in full color on the right of the screen, right under the treasure charts legend. Tap on the fish icon and the message will be readable again in the gamepad screen.
Oh, the usefulness!

Thanks. Been trying to work out how to do this. The stupid fish even tell you that you need to refeed them the bait to see the message again...

Oh, the usefulness!

awesome find. that will be extremely helpful to me later on. I've talked to all the fish, and only just got the third pearl. 20 hours already! hah. I love sailing.

Zushin

Oh man, got this game yesterday and it's amazing. First time playing WW, and only 2nd Zelda game ever and I'm loving the shit out of it. So far only up to
The Deku Tree forest
, but it's great.

Porcile

Oh man, got this game yesterday and it's amazing. First time playing WW, and only 2nd Zelda game ever and I'm loving the shit out of it. So far only up to
The Deku Tree forest
, but it's great.

Best thing is, it gets even better! Wish I was playing it for the first time, but even after so many playthroughs the magic is still there.

Joqu

The Deku Tree forest
, but it's great.

Hope you don't mind me being curious, but what was your first Zelda game and what did you think of that one? :)

Coketruck

Probably took me about 25 times to get the swift sail to show up, and I wound up somehow losing the auction. So angry...

Thankfully, I went in one more time and the sail was back up for auction. Got it and wound up sticking around for a Piece of Heart.

Zushin

Best thing is, it gets even better! Wish I was playing it for the first time, but even after so many playthroughs the magic is still there.

Excellent :D Can't wait to play some more!

Hope you don't mind me being curious, but what was your first Zelda game and what did you think of that one? :)

Ocarina of Time. I played it on the 3DS, it was awesome too! Only got around 2/3 of the way through it though as I got busy IRL at the time. But I'll have to give it another spin after WW :D

Mecca

Just a caution

I feel your pain. I lost about an hour of game play last weekend because the power suddenly went out before I could save my game. After that I was saving like a mad woman after every major event.

The auction is annoying. The
sail
was literally the last item I won after winning 5 useless things before it. I kept going outside/changing the day and going back in again until it was available. I think they could have made this a little easier to get.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You're supposed to buy everything in the auction. There are only 5 items. Also, you don't need to change the day. Just leave and re-enter to start the next auction.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just a caution

did the swift sail auction at the same time as waiting for
the full moon
after getting the deluxe pictograph. Took four day/night changes and each time I just popped into the auction. I guess I got lucky - 1 each of treasure map, piece of heart, joy pendant and swift sail.

Grampasso

Probably took me about 25 times to get the swift sail to show up, and I wound up somehow losing the auction. So angry...

Thankfully, I went in one more time and the sail was back up for auction. Got it and wound up sticking around for a Piece of Heart.
What?
Mash the "bid button" as soon as an auction starts, when it's your turn to bid offer AT LEAST 11 rupees more than the current bid. That way all the people will be stunned for at least 10 seconds. In that time no bids will occur, use it to build the bid meter again until the very end, wait for the people to come to their senses and promptly fill the meter again, with a bit of luck they'll only manage to bid once or twice. It may seem more expensive this way, but it's actually far less and you can easily check the remaining time, in those stun seconds they would have placed at list 6-7 bids each with at least 3-4 rupees raise, not to mention it's far far quicker this way. Just be sure to place the last bid when there are less than 10 seconds to the auction end, so they'll be stunned on the time-out. I managed to obtain the Swift Sail for 120 rupees :D

zruben

Banned
Started this game on Hero mode. It was almost embarrassing that I almost died at the Forsaken Fortress when looking for my missing sword. I survived with 1/2 a heart left --basically 1 hit away from Game Over. I like this challenge.

ha, I'm replaying the game on hero mode too, after years of not touching it.

I have died twice already on the Dragon Rooster Cavern. :(

I guess it will get easier once I get more hearts and bottles.

Muzy72

Banned
Why does my Ganondorf statue require assembly!?! And why is there no snow globe case thing like Europe has? Dumb NOA :(

drspeedy

Haven't seen too many replies about the Ganondorf figure- anyone care to comment on the quality of the thing? Based on I'm seeing elsewhere on the internetz, these are roughly one step better than Happy Meal caliber; rubbery plastic, rough edges on paint, noticeable gaps on the joints and seams, bent/misshapen swords, feet not matching the stand... probably varies for each individual figure, but sad to hear that they're not that high quality.

Squishy3

Haven't seen too many replies about the Ganondorf figure- anyone care to comment on the quality of the thing? Based on I'm seeing elsewhere on the internetz, these are roughly one step better than Happy Meal caliber; rubbery plastic, rough edges on paint, noticeable gaps on the joints and seams, bent/misshapen swords, feet not matching the stand... probably varies for each individual figure, but sad to hear that they're not that high quality.
It's not like there are any really visible joints, aside from the shoulders and elbows there are no joints on the figure because the body is just literally his clothing. The thing I think are stupid are the orange trails that you pop into his fists and they form the pom of the swords. But I don't think they add anything to the figure at all.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I think that I enjoyed playing through this more now than I did during its original release. This game has really re-kindled my love for Zelda.

The thing that really stood out to me was how much of a drag it was to have to go through the dungeons when all I wanted to do was continue exploring the sea. I think that it would be interesting to see a Zelda game in this style but with more islands to explore, and with more of them being "large" islands with robust puzzles/caves.

Instead of the standard 8-10 full sized dungeons and a sparse overworld (I know WW had a lot fewer dungeons, but that was due to the need to rush it out the door), imagine if there were 20-30 dungeons that were 1/3 sized, all spread out across the map. Throw the standard dungeon items in a bunch of them, but allow for sequence breaking and note-taking on the in-game map. Make the item itself, rather than the macguffin piece, the prize of a bunch of the dungeons.

When charting islands in WWHD, I loved it when the fish guy would tell me stuff like "You need to be able to melt ice to get in here. I heard that there's something that can do that three clicks north and two clicks west." This kindled that sense of exploration and discovery. The problem was that even though I could get to that spot, I was told "lol you're not far enough in the story to be here yet, come back later." Along that same line, I wanted to go into the Wind Temple before the Earth Temple because I wanted to get the hookshot to clear out some islands, but I wasn't allowed to do those out of order. I had both the iron boots and the power bracelet, why couldn't I just go pick up Makar instead of Medli first?

One of my favorite parts of Link to the Past is the path to the Ice Rod in the Southeast corner of the map. You can go through the entire game without ever going near it, and yet there it is ready to be discovered from the instant you get out of the Sanctuary. I also used to always go through and loot every Dark World dungeon before beating any of the bosses, then I would finish them up completely out of order. I want to see more of that in my Zelda games.

I think that I enjoyed playing through this more now than I did during its original release. This game has really re-kindled my love for Zelda.

The thing that really stood out to me was how much of a drag it was to have to go through the dungeons when all I wanted to do was continue exploring the sea. I think that it would be interesting to see a Zelda game in this style but with more islands to explore, and with more of them being "large" islands with robust puzzles/caves.

Instead of the standard 8-10 full sized dungeons and a sparse overworld (I know WW had a lot fewer dungeons, but that was due to the need to rush it out the door), imagine if there were 20-30 dungeons that were 1/3 sized, all spread out across the map. Throw the standard dungeon items in a bunch of them, but allow for sequence breaking and note-taking on the in-game map. Make the item itself, rather than the macguffin piece, the prize of a bunch of the dungeons.

When charting islands in WWHD, I loved it when the fish guy would tell me stuff like "You need to be able to melt ice to get in here. I heard that there's something that can do that three clicks north and two clicks west." This kindled that sense of exploration and discovery. The problem was that even though I could get to that spot, I was told "lol you're not far enough in the story to be here yet, come back later." Along that same line, I wanted to go into the Wind Temple before the Earth Temple because I wanted to get the hookshot to clear out some islands, but I wasn't allowed to do those out of order. I had both the iron boots and the power bracelet, why couldn't I just go pick up Makar instead of Medli first?

One of my favorite parts of Link to the Past is the path to the Ice Rod in the Southeast corner of the map. You can go through the entire game without ever going near it, and yet there it is ready to be discovered from the instant you get out of the Sanctuary. I also used to always go through and loot every Dark World dungeon before beating any of the bosses, then I would finish them up completely out of order. I want to see more of that in my Zelda games.
From what I've heard about it, you would probably enjoy the upcoming 3DS Zelda.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The swift sail was the first thing when I went into the auction. Then I lost it somehow. Went back the next day, it was there again. Won it. I guess I lucked out, huh, with how many times you dudes had to fight to get it appear. Next time I went in it was the piece of heart. Quit after that, since it was joy pendant. But lookin it up now I guess there are some treasure charts in there huh, guess I'll be headed back!

Calamari41

41 > 38
From what I've heard about it, you would probably enjoy the upcoming 3DS Zelda.

It definitely seems like a step in the right direction. Renting/buying the "dungeon items" is an interesting way of doing it, and I'm anxious to see how it ends up. I would love scattered "mini dungeons" for them instead of a shop, though.

The swift sail was the first thing when I went into the auction. Then I lost it somehow. Went back the next day, it was there again. Won it. I guess I lucked out, huh, with how many times you dudes had to fight to get it appear. Next time I went in it was the piece of heart. Quit after that, since it was joy pendant. But lookin it up now I guess there are some treasure charts in there huh, guess I'll be headed back!

It was the first thing in there and I won it first time. I've been filling out the map during the endless storm because... I love the storm, so I haven't been able to do more auctions. I will win some auctions tonight!

Timeaisis

I think I'm going to hold off on the Swift Sail for a while. Just tried to get it last night and it didn't come up (grabbed a piece of heart and treasure chart, though). Just finished up
Tower of the Gods
. I quite enjoy the slow pace of sailing, I've always loved it since the original.

Porcile

I think I'm going to hold off on the Swift Sail for a while. Just tried to get it last night and it didn't come up (grabbed a piece of heart and treasure chart, though). Just finished up
Tower of the Gods
. I quite enjoy the slow pace of sailing, I've always loved it since the original.

Agreed. Sailing on the ocean is so damn serene I don't want it to go any quicker!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I can't go back to the non-swift sail. Whenever I turn it off I am shocked by how slow I am moving. When you're trying to do trading quests or mapping the ocean and you just want to get from place to place already, the swift sail is the best thing ever. The fact that I beat this game without it in 2003 blows my mind.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Agreed. Sailing on the ocean is so damn serene I don't want it to go any quicker!
You don't need to go faster all the time when you have the swift sale. Press A to start sailing and the wind doesn't change. Press A again and the wind will change and you'll also be traveling faster.

Top Bottom