• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What's this?
I'll have to check the exact wording of the new description when I get back home but the original said:
Octorok said:
Habitat: The Forest Haven, Great Sea
Winner of the Perfect Attendance Award
Because up to that point they had appeared in every Zelda game.

But Twilight Princess broke that combo so I guess they had to take back that award.

D-e-f-

Banned
This one game makes a Wii U so tempting.

Any issues playing solely on the gamepad with headphones?

Is the camera mapped to the right analog stick? No option to invert the vertical axis could make it difficult for me.

Sound works as intended in Off-TV mode.

The camera is EXACTLY like on the GCN. This is not Assassin's Creed. The Y-axis doesn't rotate in a radius around you, it's a zoom function. Not being able to invert is not an issue. I say this as someone whose first action in any game is to look for the invert-Y option. You can invert Y for first person, though. That's where it matters!

areal

Sound works as intended in Off-TV mode.

The camera is EXACTLY like on the GCN. This is not Assassin's Creed. The Y-axis doesn't rotate in a radius around you, it's a zoom function. Not being able to invert is not an issue. I say this as someone whose first action in any game is to look for the invert-Y option. You can invert Y for first person, though. That's where it matters!
Excellent. Thanks.

I never owned a GC so never got the chance to play this game back in the day. Then I purchased a wiiU last year, played NSMB for a bit and then let it gather dust for nearly a year.

Thanks to this HD release I can finally experience what I, after only a few hours playing already think is one of the finest games ever crafted and also appreciate the wiiU for the neat little console it is.

Good times :)

Awesome, that's great news.

It's full of tweaks like this. All make the game a lot more replayable. After the nonsense of Skywards Sword telling you what everything was every time you booted the game up, I really hope this means they've finally taken notice of our complaints about things like that.

mrkgoo

Yes, the camera is mapped to the right stick and you can't invert the y-axis.

I'm not someone who inverts the y-axis in third person games all the time, it depends. If it feels like I move the camera I invert, if it feels like I move the characters head I don't.

Though in the case of WW it's neither of those. it's more like a zoom in/zoom out of the camera, where down zoomes out and up zoomes in. Feels perfect IMO.

Yeah I've heard about complaints if 'no y-axis inversion for canera', but the up/due non camera actusllybusntban axis - it zooms in and out, basically controlling distance of the camera. And in this smmanner it makes sense that when you zoom out abdvnaway from link, the camera gets a bit higher and points down to link.

Effect

Finished the Forsaken Fortress last night. I remembered there being a lot more enemies lurking around but then again my memory can be off. It has been 9 years since I last played that part of the game. Didn't get caught one either. :) The game looks great but you do see some issues here and there. I can only imagine with a non-upgrade but fully 100% Wii U Zelda is going to look like.

Going to try and put in more time tonight if I can but it's good to be playing a game like this on the Wii U. These are the type of games (action adventure games, though RPGs are a huge fave of mine) I tend to love and I don't think I've enjoyed playing in a gaming session like this since I beat Assassin's Creed 3. Monster Hunter can be to grinding to give the same enjoyment.

At what point do I get the camera I wonder.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Instead of a counter-argument, how about a question: why is it necessary?

You could argue that plenty of things aren't "necessary." We accept a lot of jank in video games these days, and the games are entirely playable with them. But I certainly think it's desirable for these things to be as polished as possible. When you're re-opening the game's code for probably the only time ever, you better tweak everything that you have even the slightest sense might be kind of irritating. As the devs went through there, that's exactly what they did. I doubt there was a master list that included "slow grapple" from the start, but their playtesting likely identified it as a tweakable area, so they moved on it. Sure, we could've done without it, but I sure like that it's there! Nintendo is master of "give them what they don't know they want" after all.

Think of it this way: I could be arguing with you about how the Keese now make different noises!

..do they really? I don't mind these changes, but I certainly like noticing them. What's different about the sounds?

I find it very interesting that every time I start playing WW it asks me to choose between playing with the GamePad or the CC pro.

Is this Nintendo preparing the ground for a Hardware pack without the GamePad?

I never owned a GC so never got the chance to play this game back in the day. Then I purchased a wiiU last year, played NSMB for a bit and then let it gather dust for nearly a year.

Thanks to this HD release I can finally experience what I, after only a few hours playing already think is one of the finest games ever crafted and also appreciate the wiiU for the neat little console it is.

Good times :)

Word. After playing Twilight Princess the last few months, I'm already thinking this is the best 3D Zelda, and this version in particular. It's just so...wow. It's so fun to play, and looks as beautiful as any game I've seen.

I find it very interesting that every time I start playing WW it asks me to choose between playing with the GamePad or the CC pro.

Is this Nintendo preparing the ground for a Hardware pack without the GamePad?

It would take a major firmware revision since the system won't turn on without the gamepad present.

I have been wanting this game since I heard about it.. but now I really want it... I have got to move back into our house (under construction) and get my wii u out of storage.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
itF7ZiVL35quM.jpg

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I know this is probably the nitpickiest of nitpicks but I miss the sound effect from the GCN version when you clicked "start" on a save file. Why change such a glorious sound??

Original Sound Effect

That sound clip was one of my favorites.

I was complaining about this exact thing to my wife the other day. I keep expecting it to go "de-dedle dee!" when I choose my file, but NOPE. I dunno why that little jingle integrated itself so deep into my psyche.

NeoRausch

hey wait a second....

I'm using my old GameCube guide here and there ( lost track of where I'm supposed to go next) and it mentions several times a 200 rupee at the beginning.

they upped it to 500 from the start here

Chao

I just ordered the game. Haven't played TWW since the original release. I hope I won't regret this decision! :mad:

Sure, we could've done without it, but I sure like that it's there!

And I certainly don't! We can agree it boils down to personal taste, no?

..do they really? I don't mind these changes, but I certainly like noticing them. What's different about the sounds?

It's nothing major. They still chirp, but it's a tad different if you listen closely. Believe me, I played the original way too much recently, lol.

I know this is probably the nitpickiest of nitpicks but I miss the sound effect from the GCN version when you clicked "start" on a save file. Why change such a glorious sound??

Original Sound Effect

That sound clip was one of my favorites.

Augh, I know! I doubt any other change will be as criminal as this one. Even when I saved to turn off the game, I'd click continue just to hear it!

Marjar

Banned
hey wait a second....

I'm using my old GameCube guide here and there ( lost track of where I'm supposed to go next) and it mentions several times a 200 rupee at the beginning.

they upped it to 500 from the start here

Yeah your default max rupees is 500 now. The upgrades are the same though.

A lot of little changes like that really make this game so much better.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If we're going to nitpick sound effects I guess I could chime if with the disappointing loss of the honk when you close Tingle's chart.

llamarawk

Can you do the
Wind temple and Earth temple
in either order?
I got the powerglove and iron boots but the fiddle player won't appear beneath the waterfall.

I was complaining about this exact thing to my wife the other day. I keep expecting it to go "de-dedle dee!" when I choose my file, but NOPE. I dunno why that little jingle integrated itself so deep into my psyche.

MrSaturn99 said:
Augh, I know! I doubt any other change will be as criminal as this one. Even when I saved to turn off the game, I'd click continue just to hear it!

Glad I'm not the only one! Yeah I absolutely adored that catchy little sound. It's almost comical how much it bothers me that they changed it. At least the "spleeeush" of the cannon minigame remains.

I don't know how it works with the Pro Controller, but for the GamePad, whenever you take out your wind waker, the songs are displayed on the touch screen. Really convenient.

I presume pausing with the + button after pulling out the wind waker displays the charts when using the pro controller. that's how it works when doing off screen play with the gamepad.

ohlawd

I don't think it matters. You don't need
the Mirror Shield to do the Wind Temple
it does matter. Doing Wind Temple first is impossible.

character spoilz
Makar won't show up at his hiding spot until after the Earth Temple is done.

Yeah, the
Earth Temple and Wind Temple forced order is completely arbitrary and pretty stupid. Random forced linearity through nothing story or gameplay related. Was hoping they would have changed it, but they didn't. Lame.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
it does matter. Doing Wind Temple first is impossible.

character spoilz
Makar won't show up at his hiding spot until after the Earth Temple is done.

Are you sure? I'm actually up to this point in my hero mode pajama run, so I'll see if I can do
Wind Temple
first.

I don't think it matters. You don't need
the Mirror Shield to do the Wind Temple
You need
Makar
to get in the Wind Temple. If you ask the Deku Tree about the Forest Koroks, he mentions that
Makar is nowhere to be seen and it would be useless to search for him right now.
After beating the Earth Temple this changes to a clue about
hearing the music nearby.
If that's not enough of an indication to do the Earth Temple first then I don't know what is.

ohlawd

You need
Makar
to get in the Wind Temple. If you ask the Deku Tree about the Forest Koroks, he mentions that
Makar is nowhere to be seen and it would be useless to search for him right now.
After beating the Earth Temple this changes to a clue about
hearing the music nearby.
If that's not enough of an indication to do the Earth Temple first then I don't know what is.
This is exactly right.

I should know hahah. I wasted 2 mins of my life trying to start Wind Temple first.

Top Bottom