• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

zroid

Banned
You don't say?

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01lsqyk.jpg

Just beat Dragon Roost Cavern.

So far, I'm loving this HD remaster. They really weren't kidding when they said it offered an improved sense of scope, and I love how the touched-up effects give certain areas a new feel (the interior of the cavern is stunning). I was considered about the rearranged soundtrack, but dare I say I actually prefer some of these new tracks (hellloooooo enemy theme!). Plus, I'm having a blast picking up small details I never noticed before.

That said, I don't like the sped-up/omitted animations; in particular, anything involving the Grappling Hook (salvaging/hooking onto a handle) is way too fast and I miss the lost Wind Waker encores. It's just too distractive for my tastes, I get that some people felt they slowed down the game and I'm guessing Nintendo didn't feel they were necessary enough to include as an optional feature (ala the Swift Sail), but I wish they did.

Other than that nitpick, diggin' it.

Bear

http://abload.de/img/wiiu_screenshot_tv_01k2s41.jpg[img]

I just noticed Link makes a shocked face when locking on.[/QUOTE]

Since Hero mode got me to start using healing items, I noticed that Link smiles before drinking his grandma's soup and cringes before drinking potions, as if it was medicine.

Reminded me how great the facial animation is in this game

It's such a relaxing game when you want it to be. Right now I'm just meandering around doing the trading quest. Link and the Red King are sailing northwest as I type, my Wii Gamepad in the stand next to the keyboard here.

The great sea is definitely my happy place.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Well I did it guys. I opened my special edition. It's worthless now. Completely worthless. But I am happy. I have my figure.

TourianTourist

Neo Member
Question for y'all?

Was boss title cards never in this game? I could've sworn I knew the names of the bosses without looking it up online when I played this 10 years ago, but replaying it they don't give the bosses names in-game...outside of the figurines.
Nope, the original didn't have any boss titles either. Only the figurines revealed the boss names.

Dartastic

Where can I find a place to heal on windfall island in hero mode? I've only got one heart and... Yeah. Ow.

Can't go fight a dragon with one heart.

Edit- fuck yeah, rats.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
If you're referring to the encore, then they did that for every song.

imo it suuuuckksssssssss

The encore always plays the first time you play a song during a play session. For every unique song you play. Subsequent plays of the song cut the encore. It's a perfect compromise, as far as I'm concerned. Especially when you're doing a lot of warping during sidequests.

I remember reading complaints about slow downs. Is that true or what?

Maybe occasionally. But not in any capacity that matters.

Bear

Yeah, there is some slowdown from time to time. It tends to happen when there is a lot happening on-screen, like hitting a group of enemies at once or using a bomb on several objects. It's not frequent or severe, but it's noticeable.

I think for most songs they'll have an encore per session. After that, it's gone.

I love it, cuts down on the repetition and makes the game a lot better.

Yeah, a single encore is just right. They would get annoying in the original game if you ever used the wind waker several times within a few minutes.

I'm happy with all the faster animations, too.

The encore always plays the first time you play a song during a play session. For every unique song you play. Subsequent plays of the song cut the encore. It's a perfect compromise, as far as I'm concerned. Especially when you're doing a lot of warping during sidequests.

I think they went overboard with the speed-ups, honestly. Stuff like sailing and conducting? Okay, but then you have salvaging suddenly reduced to a .2 second process and the grappling hook flying at the speed of light and dialogue/text popping up all at once and I keep thinking was all this crap really that cumbersome in the original?. Way too fast and in certain cases unnecessary, though hopefully the faster dialogue is a good sign for future Zeldas.

Personally I liked the choir renditions of the encores so that's why I don't like them being gone; that, and the rearranged Song of Passing sounded cool and now I'll never be able to hear it again.

Also, why doesn't the KORL's mouth move anymore when he speaks? Haha.

Haven't spotted any slowdown yet.

Darryl

Banned
I think they went overboard with the speed-ups, honestly. Stuff like sailing and conducting? Okay, but then you have salvaging suddenly reduced to a .2 second process and the grappling hook flying at the speed of light and dialogue/text popping up all at once and I keep thinking was all this crap really that cumbersome in the original?. Way too fast and in certain cases unnecessary, though hopefully the faster dialogue is a good sign for future Zeldas.

Personally I liked the choir renditions of the encores so that's why I don't like them being gone; that, and the rearranged Song of Passing sounded cool and now I'll never be able to hear it again.

Also, why doesn't the KORL's mouth move anymore when he speaks? Haha.

Haven't spotted any slowdown yet.

Grappling hook is a boring power-up so anything to make those segments smaller is definitely a positive. Should've sped up sidling as well.

I made it to the Forbidden Forest. The Deku Leaf is the greatest dungeon item I've seen in a Zelda game yet. Also, this dungeon is beautiful.

OmahaG8

Well I did it guys. I opened my special edition. It's worthless now. Completely worthless. But I am happy. I have my figure.

I open all of mine - and I buy many. I will never sell them. Mine to enjoy how I see fit (obviously if enjoying them is keeping them boxed - I'm all for that). To each his own.

Haines

Banned
oh man, joy joy joy playing this game.

For me its interesting to read forever and a day on neogaf about Nintendo being 'not in the arms race' re specs against Sony and Microsoft - and then having the experience of sitting down and being completely wowed playing a just an upgraded version of the 10 years old ww in hd. This kind of visual fidelity coupled with Nintendo obvious talent with artwork is what I've been waiting for since n64.

Nintendo should absolutely be in the game re graphical power, shame on them to not be.

Its absolutely criminal that Nintendos output has been so poor on the Wii U. Can you imagine titles of WW HD quality being released every month post launch!

What the fuck were their internal teams doing 2010 - 2013. I dont get it.

Just four games in a whole year are worth my time on the Wii U - Zombie U, Pikmin 3, W101 and WW HD.

Its just even more exasperating to now read about Wii Sports Club - where was this at launch?

If you havent got Luigi U you are missing out.

Also Nintendo was working on 3DS stuff and obviously held back games til the fall to try and pack a punch..which seems to kind of working...wiiu owners are happy and the wiiu is getting a slight positive light shed on it finally

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
but then you have salvaging suddenly reduced to a .2 second process

Love it. Groups of five glowing circles take long enough to ferry up as it is, if I had to use the original dredging animation it'd be interminable.

and the grappling hook flying at the speed of light

Love it. The animation isn't unrealistically fast, if anything the original one was unrealistically long. When you're swinging from place to place, why would you want to watch that rope for a longer amount of time? Really can't think of a counter-argument for this one.

and dialogue/text popping up all at once

Loooooove it. It's not all at once, it still scrolls, but yea it's so fast that it might as well all be at once. When people speak in a unique cadence that's still maintained, and not sped up, so we're not really losing anything here. When you perform repeated actions that involve text popup, again, I can't fathom a reasonable argument against this. Every Zelda moving forward should function at this speed.

and I keep thinking was all this crap really that cumbersome in the original?. Way too fast and in certain cases unnecessary

I doubt they'd have improved it if they didn't feel it was cumbersome when they approached the original code! I certainly feel like going back to the original would be a nightmare after becoming accustomed to the new version. And I really don't get how you can say any of it is "too fast." In a game full of repeated actions, these actions should be streamlined to the nth degree. It's just common sense.

Never hear it again? As I explained before, you still get the encores when you start a new play session. Save and quit, boot the game back up, and every song will play its encore the first time you play it. It's just missing during subsequent plays, during that same play session. It's a perfect optimization. Faster for repeated plays, but still get the chorale version and Link's little animation the first time.

I've run into plenty of slowdown. If it's raining I get noticeable stutters. Any time bombs are involved it's an immediate slowdown. I got to an island guarded by multiple cannon boats in a thunderstorm and I actually had to sail away because fighting them through the slowdown was not gonna happen.

Even though the framerate doesn't hold up great, the game is still plenty playable. The time I mentioned above was the only time the framerate actually interfered with the gameplay. In most instances it's fine, but expect the game to chug with multiple enemies / effects on screen.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The HD version has the whole world map loaded and the only reason the effects remain is it would have required effort to change it.

I think I'm mixing up terms -- I have noticed a large amount of pop-up when sailing... little whats-it-called-obkin forts just "poof" into existence when I go sailing. Are folks saying that this doesn't happen on the Wii U, or am I just misreading things?

I'm starting to think folks are saying this pop-up DOES happen, but explaining it as having all the geometry load, but remaining entirely invisible until you get within ___ pixels, at which point the textures pop into view. Is that what folks are saying?

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going mad.

I think I'm mixing up terms -- I have noticed a large amount of pop-up when sailing... little whats-it-called-obkin forts just "poof" into existence when I go sailing. Are folks saying that this doesn't happen on the Wii U, or am I just misreading things?

I'm starting to think folks are saying this pop-up DOES happen, but explaining it as having all the geometry load, but remaining entirely invisible until you get within ___ pixels, at which point the textures pop into view. Is that what folks are saying?

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going mad.

AFAIK pretty much. WWHD is using the same basic engine, but the added power lets them have you swift sail with no actual loading, there still is texture pop in though.

However the bloom isn't compensating for any of that as some people were apparently theorizing

linkboy

Addition of a few dungeons would have made this the greatest Zelda ever. The Triforce mission is the only thing that holds Windwaker back in my opinion.

Wind Waker setup like this would have been amazing (I'll spoil tag it just for people who haven't played the game)

Three dungeons to get the pearls (Greatfish Isle isn't cut out)

Acquire Master Sword

8 dungeons split between the Great Sea and Hyrule proper to acquire the 8 Triforce pieces.

Move on to final battle with Ganondorf

I'm not sure if the Gamecube would have been able to handle a game like that (due to disc size), but it would have been downright amazing.

It's a shame Wind Waker was rushed like it was, as the game would have been even more amazing than it was.

Regarding the Triforce quest: how would anyone know where to get the
Ghost
Chart on
Diamond Steppe Island
, out of all the islands in the game? I had to look online for that.

Regarding the Triforce quest: how would anyone know where to get the
Ghost
Chart on
Diamond Steppe Island
, out of all the islands in the game? I had to look online for that.

The telescope dudes hint at things like that, as do the merman fish guys when you feed them to get island data. Actually, I think the merman at Diamond Steppe Island specifically tells you that there's a
chart there that'll help you find a Triforce shard

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, this is an absolute visual treat. I'm thrilled to play through the game again.

I just wish they would have included a music volume slider as I still detest the soundtrack and would prefer to use something else instead while keeping sound effects.

Love it. The animation isn't unrealistically fast, if anything the original one was unrealistically long. When you're swinging from place to place, why would you want to watch that rope for a longer amount of time? Really can't think of a counter-argument for this one.

Instead of a counter-argument, how about a question: why is it necessary?

The alterations to sailing and conducting make sense because they're actions that are constantly, forcibly utilized throughout the game's duration. Personally, I wasn't annoyed by them, but most people were, and I can understand why: sailing between islands took a long time and there are countless instances where you conduct the Wind Waker. Meanwhile, the grappling hook is used more infrequently and that's why I find its changes a mystery. I mean, was anyone really groaning in impatience with the four-second animation of tossing the rope and watching it wrap around bar?

You bring up realism which I find interesting since a) I don't know the first thing about salvaging, but I highly doubt it the process is that fast and that's why it distracts me and b) considering how Nintendo altered everything else for the sake of the player's patience, there's no reason to doubt they changed this for the same reason. Yet aside from being associated with the Triforce Quest (and that was moreso the fault of the quest's design), nothing about it called for a super-quick upgrade. Excluding your collective light ring example, any complaints about it are just hyperbole.

...although, I honestly wouldn't mind it if they trashed the whole "Treasure Map light ring disappears before you get a good idea of where it's precisely located" BS. Did they fix that?

Loooooove it. It's not all at once, it still scrolls, but yea it's so fast that it might as well all be at once. When people speak in a unique cadence that's still maintained, and not sped up, so we're not really losing anything here. When you perform repeated actions that involve text popup, again, I can't fathom a reasonable argument against this. Every Zelda moving forward should function at this speed.

I just find it irritating because my eyes can't keep up with the rate of speed the text is popping up at. Like I said before, I think it's something future Zeldas should take note from (I highly doubt anyone looked forward to reading the slow Joy Pendant descriptions over and over again), but just make a text speed option.

I doubt they'd have improved it if they didn't feel it was cumbersome when they approached the original code! I certainly feel like going back to the original would be a nightmare after becoming accustomed to the new version. And I really don't get how you can say any of it is "too fast." In a game full of repeated actions, these actions should be streamlined to the nth degree. It's just common sense.

I'm still pretty early, but idk, I could probably go back to the original and still play it (though I'd prefer to take a nice, long break from it first). Just chalk this all up to my huge patience threshold. *shrug*

And I don't like some of this stuff being fast because it's too fast for my tastes. You could just chalk it up to me being too used to the original, but just because it had pacing issues doesn't mean that every single action has to be sped-up (which is why I find another poster's suggestion to quicken sidling to be a little ridiculous). It's just streamlining for the sake of steamlining and that's why it annoys me.

Never hear it again? As I explained before, you still get the encores when you start a new play session. Save and quit, boot the game back up, and every song will play its encore the first time you play it. It's just missing during subsequent plays, during that same play session. It's a perfect optimization. Faster for repeated plays, but still get the chorale version and Link's little animation the first time.

My bad, I think I misread your original post. I only just got the Wind's Requiem and the Song of Passing on my last playthrough (yesterday evening), so I just assumed it stayed like that.

Just an FYI, I'm typically over-analytical/nitpicky over Nintendo remasters/remakes so that's why I'm making such a big deal over this, lol. Think of it this way: I could be arguing with you about how the Keese now make different noises!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I mean, was anyone really groaning in impatience with the four-second animation of tossing the rope and watching it wrap around bar?
OK, it's coming back to me. In the original they showed a letterboxed cutscene each time the rope made contact with a point yes? Have they removed this cutscene entirely or just sped it up?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Got a new television yesterday. Gone from 20" to 32". Now this game looks even more gorgeous!

It's weird that they updated little titbits of text, even removing the 'prefect attendance' award for the Octorok figurine and yet the Fishmen still say this:

despite the fact you can now just click their icon on the map screen to re-read their trivia.

areal

This one game makes a Wii U so tempting.

Any issues playing solely on the gamepad with headphones?

Is the camera mapped to the right analog stick? No option to invert the vertical axis could make it difficult for me.

This one game makes a Wii U so tempting.

Any issues playing solely on the gamepad with headphones?

Is the camera mapped to the right analog stick? No option to invert the vertical axis could make it difficult for me.

Yes, the camera is mapped to the right stick and you can't invert the y-axis.

I'm not someone who inverts the y-axis in third person games all the time, it depends. If it feels like I move the camera I invert, if it feels like I move the characters head I don't.

Though in the case of WW it's neither of those. it's more like a zoom in/zoom out of the camera, where down zoomes out and up zoomes in. Feels perfect IMO.

Top Bottom