• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Anteo

You need
Makar
to get in the Wind Temple. If you ask the Deku Tree about the Forest Koroks, he mentions that
Makar is nowhere to be seen and it would be useless to search for him right now.
After beating the Earth Temple this changes to a clue about
hearing the music nearby.
If that's not enough of an indication to do the Earth Temple first then I don't know what is.

This is exactly right.

I should know hahah. I wasted 2 mins of my life trying to start Wind Temple first.

I took that hint as "you need to do something first" and I set sail to help his friends with their trees.
2 mins.. yeah.. me.. too..

Ok, just got it and started running around the island. Looks fucking amazing with the new lighting and shadows from the clouds and trees. And I like that Link casts a shadow and can stand in them as well. It's a small thing but it really makes a difference.

BUT, why can't I invert the damn vertical camera controls? AH. It's the one thing that would make it perfect! I hope they patch that.

Damn. Outset Island is just amazing. If they can give the same treatment to Mario Sunshine with this more advanced shadowing I'll lose my shit.

NeoRausch

you know what would have been an amazing addition?

taking notes on the map, like in the DS Zeldas. quite an oversight!

a note for every quadrant would be petty useful.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
And I certainly don't! We can agree it boils down to personal taste, no?

I would't have guessed that it does! They seem like things that should be universally appreciated. Clearly I am mistaken in that regard.

I agree, I would've loved that. I'd have certainly taken some notes by now. Like marking which islands I come across that need the
hookshot
in order to progress.

Honestly the only thing missing from an otherwise flawless remastering. I had 2 Heart Pieces left to get at the end of the game and had I been able to make a note of which ones I had already acquired it would have made searching for those last 2 a cinch. Instead, I just consulted a walkthrough since I couldn't be bothered to check every island on the Island Hearts chart.

Playing through Hero Mode has made me realize what's "wrong" (there's nothing inherently bad about it, but "wrong" the only word that I can think of to describe it) with Zelda's combat system once you take away the easy heart replenishment. I can't quite articulate it entirely yet, but I feel like I'm pretty close to being able to put my thoughts to words. Basically, Hero Mode places an increased emphasis on combat that doesn't exist in Normal Mode via the lack of enemies/containers dropping hearts and taking double damage. This is a problem because Zelda's combat is pretty bare bones, which shines through a lot more when the focus is shifted from the adventure aspect of Zelda to the combat aspect (as it does in Hero Mode).

I'm not asking for anything near a Platinum Games combat system, but a more in-depth combat system could do wonders for the series: a proper counter, real uses for "advanced" moves you learn (like the kind you get from the Hero's Spirit in TP), streamlined usage of items in combat, the light implementation of combos in some way, etc. I don't want to make the game easier, I just want to feel like I'm in more control of Link and do something other than cycling through attack/defend/parry when I'm in combat.

I'm not really seeing this shift towards a heavier focus on combat at all in Hero Mode. It just asks you to be a bit more vigilant at avoiding damage, and the most powerful tool to do so is at your disposal very early in the game, the Boomerang.

I'm not really seeing this shift towards a heavier focus on combat at all in Hero Mode. It just asks you to be a bit more vigilant at avoiding damage, and the most powerful tool to do so is at your disposal very early in the game, the Boomerang.

Right, and I'm just saying that the current combat mechanics aren't the proper tools to maximize the enjoyment you get from combat when your vigilance towards damage avoidance has to be increased. I'm not saying it's not fun, just that there are tweaks that could be implemented to make it even better than it is currently. Right now Zelda's combat works best, for me anyway, when I get to run into a group of enemies, wreck their shit without caring about damage, and then recouping any damage from the wealth of hearts the enemies spew upon defeat. The more cautionary approach to combat isn't quite as fun for me given the current mechanics. It's not enough to make me switch back to the cruise control that is Normal Mode, but it's just something I'd personally love to see implemented in some way in future Zelda titles. But it wouldn't surprise me if others don't feel the same way, because Zelda seems to have one of the more divisive fanbases in video games when it comes to what they like about the series and what they want from it in the future.

Right, and I'm just saying that the current combat mechanics aren't the proper tools to maximize the enjoyment you get from combat when your vigilance towards damage avoidance has to be increased. I'm not saying it's not fun, just that there are tweaks that could be implemented to make it even better than it is currently. Right now Zelda's combat works best, for me anyway, when I get to run into a group of enemies, wreck their shit without caring about damage, and then recouping any damage from the wealth of hearts the enemies spew upon defeat. The more cautionary approach to combat isn't quite as fun for me given the current mechanics. It's not enough to make me switch back to the cruise control that is Normal Mode, but it's just something I'd personally love to see implemented in some way in future Zelda titles. But it wouldn't surprise me if others don't feel the same way, because Zelda seems to have one of the more divisive fanbases in video games when it comes to what they like about the series and what they want from it in the future.
Yeah, put me in the camp that doesn't see eye to eye on that. My approach to combat in almost every game is to minimize the amount of damage I take, and Zelda is no exception. I guess Hero mode was just a perfect fit for my play style. It's nice that it's optional for those that don't enjoy playing like that, an intermediate difficulty level would be nice in future Zelda games.

I'm all for expanding your options in combat in future Zelda games though. The Hidden Skills in Twilight Princess were a good start, the only problem was that they made them optional so they couldn't design enemies around those skills. They had to make sure every enemy could be defeated without the optional hidden skills and that really held back enemy design.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Playing through Hero Mode has made me realize what's "wrong" (there's nothing inherently bad about it, but "wrong" the only word that I can think of to describe it) with Zelda's combat system once you take away the easy heart replenishment. I can't quite articulate it entirely yet, but I feel like I'm pretty close to being able to put my thoughts to words. Basically, Hero Mode places an increased emphasis on combat that doesn't exist in Normal Mode via the lack of enemies/containers dropping hearts and taking double damage. This is a problem because Zelda's combat is pretty bare bones, which shines through a lot more when the focus is shifted from the adventure aspect of Zelda to the combat aspect (as it does in Hero Mode).

I'm not asking for anything near a Platinum Games combat system, but a more in-depth combat system could do wonders for the series: a proper counter, real uses for "advanced" moves you learn (like the kind you get from the Hero's Spirit in TP), streamlined usage of items in combat, the light implementation of combos in some way, etc. I don't want to make the game easier, I just want to feel like I'm in more control of Link and do something other than cycling through attack/defend/parry when I'm in combat.

Hero Mode felt a lot better in Skyward Sword than it does here, in part because they designed it with it in mind. Plus the combat is straight up better in SS.

NeoRausch

Hero Mode felt a lot better in Skyward Sword than it does here, in part because they designed it with it in mind. Plus the combat is straight up better in SS.
zlCfzRJsro85NAq97P

sorry, I just had to use my new picture!

What's up with Miiverse? Since the update(I just now finished that) it just stays on a rotating earth with different time zones :/

Also, do you get anything for finishing the game in Hero mode?

Zero148

beat the second dungeon today and got the bombs. The game is stunning, I really wish I could experience Wind Waker the first time with this beautiful HD remix, but replaying the game is also a blast. The swift sail is a really good addition and also the gamepad makes the game so much more fluid. There is absolutely no need to pause the game when using the gamepad (plus TV), except for writing tingle bottles or organizing photos. All in all the inventory management and the map on the touchsreen really enhances the experience in a significant way imo and nearly no hud on the TV is just a bonus.

I'm not regretting my purchase at all, amazing game

effzee

Still waiting to pick this up. Have to finish Pikmin 3 first but man reading the impressions and Nintendo's claim about the game being done in 6 months got me thinking about how much I really want Majora's Mask in HD.

My favorite Zelda ever and they could get it out in a short period of time. If the Wii U Zelda game is still 2+ years away (likely) why not release MM HD next fall?

Tookay

Still waiting to pick this up. Have to finish Pikmin 3 first but man reading the impressions and Nintendo's claim about the game being done in 6 months got me thinking about how much I really want Majora's Mask in HD.

My favorite Zelda ever and they could get it out in a short period of time. If the Wii U Zelda game is still 2+ years away (likely) why not release MM HD next fall?

Majora's Mask would need a hell of a lot more time to redo in HD than TWW took. The models, geometry, textures, lighting, and animation would all have to undergo significant upgrades. They might as well make a whole new game at that point.

I would't have guessed that it does! They seem like things that should be universally appreciated. Clearly I am mistaken in that regard.

Your sarcasm is rather unnecessary. You're just as free to think it should be universally appreciated as much I think it's awkwardly presented.

Look, can we just call it quits? We're obviously not going to change each other's minds and I'd rather not prolong something I'm probably going to shrug off the more I play the game anyway.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Your sarcasm is rather unnecessary. You're just as free to think it should be universally appreciated as much I think it's awkwardly presented.

Look, can we just call it quits? We're obviously not going to change each other's minds and I'd rather not prolong something I'm probably going to shrug off the more I play the game anyway.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was also done! Sorry if you think I was gettin uppity with you there.

Majora's Mask would need a hell of a lot more time to redo in HD than TWW took. The models, geometry, textures, lighting, and animation would all have to undergo significant upgrades. They might as well make a whole new game at that point.
Put those redone OoT3D assets to good use and just give us Majora's Mask 3D already!

ohlawd

qtl1zra.jpg

I enjoy wasting money.
My pimp house has two of those Fountain Idols.

I was deciding whether or not to fill up Windfall Island with ONLY Fountain Idols but I didn't go through with it.

Maybe I should. I got the money to blow. But most of the pedestals I have are all Fountain Idols; the rest are filled with the other items.

In the end, I really only know one thing for sure from playing the Wind Waker in HD: If Zelda U doesn't have a Figurine Quest I am going to cut a bitch.

Oh, and here are some pictures for funsies:

ibddpXjcnoDvGh.jpg

BEST ITEM EVER

iQdVfWvqoTO8Z.jpg

Uhh... Link...

jKFWm2nolMTJD.jpg

...what exactly are you hanging onto there?

On a side note, does anyone else have problems getting Minus to resize their pictures? When I upload it either defaults to 800x450 or 1280x720 randomly, but the screenshots are 1080p. Shouldn't that be how they're uploaded? And even after uploading Minus is seemingly unable to resize the pictures to the dimensions I want it to. I'm relatively new to using Minus, is there something I'm missing here?

AniHawk

got to dragon roost island and called it a night.

-very pretty game
-opening segment (forsaken fortress is considered a dungeon, but it's not a very good one) takes a long, long time. i forgot how long it took before it got going. i think twilight princess was considerably shorter, but you're in far fewer locales in that time

i'm also really appreciating the story a lot more than my first two playthroughs. tww's strength is its presentation, and it was no slouch here. one thing i missed ten years ago was the bit about the boys getting the tunic, finding a sword and a shield and seeking out a great evil to defeat. it gives the hero of winds a little bit more to define him from the hero of time in that he had no such goals. the hero of time didn't either, but he was basically hyrule jesus. hero of winds kinda gets caught up in a bunch of stuff bigger than himself (similar to the twilight princess link).

Shahadan

-very pretty game
-opening segment (forsaken fortress is considered a dungeon, but it's not a very good one) takes a long, long time. i forgot how long it took before it got going. i think twilight princess was considerably shorter, but you're in far fewer locales in that time

Having replayed it recently, I thought TP's opening is pretty fucking long and slow. Lots of backtracking too.

Wow, I don't remember this for some reason. You can buy those?
All the stuff you acquire in the Merchant Trading sidequest can be bought at Zunari's outdoor shop on Windfall Island to decorate the town's Joy Pedestals.

I just replayed the opening and Deku Tree dungeon in OoT3D for a quick Zelda fix since I finished WWHD the other day. Toon Link's expressions are sorely missed, OoT Link is just so dull in comparison.

ant1532

Banned

-very pretty game

i'm also really appreciating the story a lot more than my first two playthroughs. tww's strength is its presentation, and it was no slouch here. one thing i missed ten years ago was the bit about the boys getting the tunic, finding a sword and a shield and seeking out a great evil to defeat. it gives the hero of winds a little bit more to define him from the hero of time in that he had no such goals. the hero of time didn't either, but he was basically hyrule jesus. hero of winds kinda gets caught up in a bunch of stuff bigger than himself (similar to the twilight princess link).

tp's opening is a bunch longer. they also make you deal with a lot more text to slam A to. ugh its so bad :I

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I don't think the answer is better moves - I think Link has some good moves, and in concert with the sheild, dodging, and items like the boomerang, he has enough for good combat.

My biggest problem is situational awareness. 1 on 1 with an enemy in an open room everything is great, but it breaks down when you're surrounded and/or in cramped surroundings. The camera is the main culprit here. I'd like for it to better hold the locked-on enemy in the center of the screen (let me adjust that with the right stick, but hold that position), plus better switching between targets (ideally auto switching after beating one enemy)

I think that would be enough for me.

Tookay

-very pretty game

Yeah Forsaken Fortress is awful and hilariously overlooked when people want to rail against the more recent Zeldas' openings, as if slow openings suddenly came into existence during TP.

And I agree about the story: part of TWW Link's charm is that he sort of gets thrown into this stuff without being a person of destiny. Everybody throughout the game is thinking he might be the "hero reborn" or ragging on him because he isn't, but the great thing about him is that he's just an average kid who defies expectation.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Oof, finally acquired all the regular charts. All I have to do is salvage them all, do the Knuckle thing quest and then I'm off to finish the game!

kizmah

Nighttime on Windfall Island.

These shrooms are amazing!

Why is everybody staring at me?

Whoa man, look at those birds. I wish I could fly.

Aw yeah! I'm leaving ground.

So high!

The sun is rising. I should probably get something to eat.

AniHawk

Yeah Forsaken Fortress is awful and hilariously overlooked when people want to rail against the more recent Zeldas' openings, as if slow openings suddenly came into existence during TP.

And I agree about the story: part of TWW Link's charm is that he sort of gets thrown into this stuff without being a person of destiny. Everybody throughout the game is thinking he might be the "hero reborn" or ragging on him because he isn't, but the great thing about him is that he's just an average kid who defies expectation.

one thing i picked up the first time was tetra's attitude towards him (and i think from her perspective she is more adult than him, but she also needs to act like an adult because she takes over her mom's job at a young age), but i like how people on windfall are kinda like, 'oh man, can i trust you to save my daughter? i know it's crazy, you're just a kid'. even the minigame guy says it's 10 rupees for kids. it's a nice touch.

D-e-f-

Banned
qtl1zra.jpg

I enjoy wasting money.

Oh so that's what these things on the ground are for! Never seen it in the original.

On a side note, does anyone else have problems getting Minus to resize their pictures? When I upload it either defaults to 800x450 or 1280x720 randomly, but the screenshots are 1080p. Shouldn't that be how they're uploaded? And even after uploading Minus is seemingly unable to resize the pictures to the dimensions I want it to. I'm relatively new to using Minus, is there something I'm missing here?

All Wii U shots uploaded via browser are 720p. Doesn't matter if your game is native 1080. The jpg will be 720. And btw, just use abload. No hassle.

Wow......why is there no audio out of the gamepad when I'm playing on the tv?! This is ridiculous!!!

There is. Unless your GamePad is broken.

Having replayed it recently, I thought TP's opening is pretty fucking long and slow. Lots of backtracking too.

TP "feels" worse to most because you stay in the village for most of it and then there's the wolf section which is basically a bunch of corridors. In contrast with WW's vast openness thanks to the setting, it comes off worse even if WW probably takes a little longer before you set foot into the first dungeon. TP actually has you do a lot and amass quite a few key items already before you enter the first dungeon. It's more an issue with how they present the opening.

Fabrik

Banned
I finished the Wind Temple last night and it reminded me how weak the dungeons are for a Zelda game. 10 years ago, I already felt the dungeons and mini-dungeons looked like dungeons from a Beta or something. They are not polished, big huge empty rooms, simple decorations, lack of complexity (Wind Temple (Sixth temple) is basically only 2 floors), you fall in a hole to enter them, they are not well integrated in the world like OOT.
They fixed everything they could in this HD remake without redesigning it and adding new content, but dungeon-wise this Zelda will always be the weakest entry.

-very pretty game

I've always thought that it was strange how people tended to give WW a pass for its opening while complaining about TP. They're both similarly frustrating to me in terms of wanting to get on with it already. In theory Forsaken Fortress is a "dungeon" but like you said it's not a very good one, and god forbid you make a mistake and have to go through it again.

JoV

I finished the Wind Temple last night and it reminded be how weak the dungeons are for a Zelda game. 10 years ago, I already felt the dungeons and mini-dungeons looked like dungeons from a Beta or something. They are not polished, big huge empty rooms, simple decorations, lack of complexity (Wind Temple (Sixth temple) is basically only 2 floors), you fall in a hole to enter them, they are not well integrated in the world like OOT.
They fixed everything they could in this HD remake without redesigning it and adding new content, but dungeon-wise this Zelda will always be the weakest entry.

Yep. The dungeons and bosses in TP are miles ahead. If WW didn't have its charm it wouldn't be nearly as highly praised.

Lucky it has plenty of charm to spare though! Just absolutely adore the setting.

Top Bottom