• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So do you get anything special for beating it on hero mode?
Somehow I doubt it since you can turn Hero mode off and on any time and anyone could simply just keep it off until the final battle, which is pretty easy. It'd be too easy to exploit. If they'd made it so Hero mode was a special game type that is always on then maybe.

ohlawd

All Slide puzzles completed (except last)?

Still dumb there's no indicator that you at least managed to finish all 16 before it resets back to #1.

What else can we add...

All Islands mapped out + Merman info (Islands like Windfall are mapped out already but no info >_>)
Complete Nintendo Gallery + Knuckle
Magic Armor
Hero's Charm
Pimped out Cabana and Windfall Island with Fountain Idols or Shop Guru Statues
All bag upgrades for bombs, arrows, wallet
999 hits on an old man
Hurricane Spin
Gold Membership at Beedle's

After finishing this, I still maintain that it's a middle of the road Zelda, as in it's a great game but has very disappointing dungeons and bosses. Story's good, atmosphere is great, gameplay is fine, music is mostly decent, but the mediocre dungeons and bosses really hurt it for me despite the final boss being totally amazing.

Regardless, playing through this version in HD with Miiverse functionality and the swift sail was really great and I had an absolutely splendid time with it. I love how "connected" I felt with other people playing the game at the same time. Iron Man 3 reference.

Busaiku

Almost at the final Ganon battle.
This was a lot shorter than I remember, but then again, I did play it when I was much younger.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I've been playin for like two to three hours for the last few nights each, and haven't moved on the last two dungeons at all. There is just SO much to do in the sea. The dungeons are almost a diversion from the real game: raping the ocean of all it's worth.

Christopher

yeah, for me, the meat and potatoes of tww starts with dragon roost island. it's a traditional dungeon while forsaken fortress is a tutorial in how to pick up enemy weapons and maneuver around obstacles. in that sense, it's not a bad thing, but i felt a lot of those teaching moments were already present in rescuing tetra. so it comes off as a lengthened part of a tutorial.

twilight princess starts at the forest temple. that's after getting the cat, herding goats, getting your tunic, turning into a wolf, and finding the master sword, but it all felt like it was supposed to be building up to something. tww, in comparison, acts like it hits the ground running, but the things it has you do are extremely basic for a good long while. there's a disconnect between the urgency of the plot and what the player is actually doing.

Negative things yours saying about TP!? Was only yesterday I was arguing with you how stallllle that game was.

Just reached the
Tower of the Gods
, one of my absolute favorite dungeons in the entire series. The atmosphere is just right, and I love how it kinda
blurs the lines between magic and technology throughout.
I definitely wouldn't object to an entire Zelda game exploring those themes.

AniHawk

Negative things yours saying about TP!? Was only yesterday I was arguing with you how stallllle that game was.

twilight princess is a pretty great game. i'm just saying that however slow the intro was, it felt like there was purpose behind it. tww's slow start is just simplistic game design. like i said, i felt tp was building towards something, while tww was acting like the adventure was quickly underway while nintendo was still easing you into certain game mechanics slowly. it's a disconnect that hurts the start of tww, and one that isn't there in tp.

anyway, got through tower of the gods tonight.

it's still a gorgoue game. in many ways, tww was the perfect choice to make an hd remake. i'm reminded of oot being the perfect zelda for a 3ds treatment due to the simple design of that game, and how many puzzles were about you pushing things towards the camera or having the camera zoom into something (via arrows or hookshot). tww was very pretty, so a prettier game makes sense.

dragoon roost cavern was simpler than i remembered. and due to other 3d zeldas, i incorrectly remembered it as the second dungeon instead of the first. it's okay, because there are things nintendo's doing that were interesting teaching moments- like the enemy breaking through the wooden slats using his sword, showing you that you need to use his sword to do the same. there are strong ties to ocarina in terms of the level design- picking up a thing and running around with it is definitely one way they tried evolving the series.

forbidden woods was a nice dungeon. it's not great, and the boss fight is barely memorable, but the boomerang is a great upgrade over the others that had appeared in the series at that point, and it's so satisfying to use the leaf and boomerang to take things down. i really like how fast link is in this game, whether it's running, rolling, or gliding through the air.

tower of the gods is still my favorite so far. i actually always mistaken a good chunk of this level with the earth temple. i'm still remembering very clearly a lot of the level design once i enter a certain room, but there have been moments where certain parts felt new due to a decade between playthroughs.

and so far, it's a really urgent sort of game. like, you're kinda forced to do one thing and then the other. i'm fine with that- ocarina of time did that, and it's the thing oot does better than any other 3d zelda to this day. however, i forgot about the trip to greatfish isle, and how absolutely unnecessary it was. yeah, have the player sail to nothing, then go to another area. kinda sloppy, especially since there's nothing at all gameplay-related to be learned here.

going to get the red sail and call it a night. i'll probably complete the game this saturday, but i'm looking forward to the red sail, because i never truly explored in this game before. even finding the stain glass images of the sages was a nice treat i had overlooked or completely forgotten before.

Finally bought the game and started playing yesterday. My six year old son and my gf are playing and watching it with me and that makes me understand even more why this game is so great. I'm translating all the text for him and that really helps me not just clicking through the text like a madman.

The graphics upgrade is nice. Colours are muuuuuch better now but i agree the light on the faces is a bit too much in daytime. Something you get over in ten minutes, but it's apparent. Graphics are clean and crispy and show the potential for games that are made for WiiU from the ground up. I think they could have put more effort in this upgrade (better textures, better character faces, higher polycount, less clipping) but it's allready nice as it is.
It's weird cause you think it looks and feels basicly the same as on Gamecube. But in reality it looks waaay better.

Just finished the Forsaken Fortress (my son was really tense in the stealth sections :p) and i'm now on Windfall Island.

Glorious music.

Finally bought the game and started playing yesterday. My six year old son and my gf are playing and watching it with me and that makes me understand even more why this game is so great. I'm translating all the text for him and that really helps me not just clicking through the text like a madman.

The graphics upgrade is nice. Colours are muuuuuch better now but i agree the light on the faces is a bit too much in daytime. Something you get over in ten minutes, but it's apparent. Graphics are clean and crispy and show the potential for games that are made for WiiU from the ground up. I think they could have put more effort in this upgrade (better textures, better character faces, higher polycount, less clipping) but it's allready nice as it is.
It's weird cause you think it looks and feels basicly the same as on Gamecube. But in reality it looks waaay better.

Just finished the Forsaken Fortress (my son was really tense in the stealth sections :p) and i'm now on Windfall Island.

Glorious music.
I almost completely agree with you besides the light on the faces and the textures. The textures look great to me, like they're painted.

Mecca

Still dumb there's no indicator that you at least managed to finish all 16 before it resets back to #1.

What else can we add...

All Islands mapped out + Merman info (Islands like Windfall are mapped out already but no info >_>)

I gave up on the slide puzzle after the first one. There just wasn't enough incentive for me to do them all. Why does the first one have to be
that snot nosed kid
?

For the islands the game automatically fills in on your map, you can still go back and feed the fishman bait and he will give you a hint.

Even though I skipped most of the slide puzzle and didn't get all the Beetle Cards, I still feel like I 100% the game. For me, getting all the charts/salvaged treasure, upgrades, heart pieces and filling up my map equals full completion.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
however, i forgot about the trip to greatfish isle, and how absolutely unnecessary it was. yeah, have the player sail to nothing, then go to another area. kinda sloppy, especially since there's nothing at all gameplay-related to be learned here.

I know this is where most people say "missing dungeon," but I actually really like it as a plot concept. We're so used to going to three dungeons to get three things at the start of these games, but this time you go to one of the places and it's just destroyed. There's no real gameplay point to it, but I think it gives a neat image of the power of the guy you're meant to be facing. He can just lay waste to a dungeon utterly, nope, sorry, you don't get to play this one. Scared the macguffin clean out of it.

Dr.Hadji

The Earth Temple in WW is admittedly pretty good (I always like to play with bouncing ray of lights). Dragon Root is also pretty good as a first dungeon and feels organic.

I do too. But when I replayed the dungeon I found that all my light boucnin thinking and figuring out had a simple solution. Go to the mirror and move it as far as it can go. That's pretty much it. A cool puzzle becomes routine once you figure out the trick. And so my over all opinion of the dungeon fell off.

Also agree on Dragon Roost. As far as first dungeons go, it was my favorite until I played SS.

TourianTourist

Neo Member
All Slide puzzles completed (except last)?
The slide puzzles don't count, since they reset. You can just ignore those.

If you complete all but one, they are not completed. But if you complete them, they reset and there's no proof that you've ever beaten them all. So, you might as well ignore them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Aargh, damn mother and child islands..had to look it up, was boating around for ages trying to work out whether I needed a particular power up to get in there.

Timeaisis

Aargh, damn mother and child islands..had to look it up, was boating around for ages trying to work out whether I needed a particular power up to get in there.

You can either
warp in
or
float in with the deku leaf (but you have to catch a gust)
I think. I end up always
warping in on accident, and then I'm like "hey, here's where I get the fire arrows again!

linkboy

About to enter
Ganon's Tower
and I've got the same feeling that I had when I played this game the first time back in 2002.

I want a Zelda game using this graphic style that has a traditional overworld (Skyward Sword was close).

It would be so awesome to play a game like that.

Well, now that I'm on the earth temple I can say that despite still being a great game, it's without any doubt the worst 3D zelda.
The pacing between dungeons is too fast, and the fact that the game was put on sale before it was finished becames pretty clear when you consider how simple the first 3 dungeons are.
Then, after doing 3 dungeons the fourth is a "remake" of the introductory part on devil's island.
The earth temple was my favourite without any doubt, and it's still my favourite, but after playing TP and SS it feels much simpler than how it felt back then. It's as linear as the temple of those zeldas, but it doesn't have the ingenious puzzles those games had.

All that being said, the graphics are really good, and the game is still excellent. I mean, nowadays games like Uncharted are considered good, so by today's standards it's still a piece of art BUT by Zelda standard's it's average to bad.

Does this version have any way to examine your enemies during combat to read a detail or hint about them? I always enjoyed that part of OOT and SS.

bon

I just got my special edition in the mail yesterday because I picked the cheapest possible shipping.

It's really mind boggling how good this game looks. I'm doing double takes at everything.

Darryl

Banned
Pitmonkey said:
69A1Ero.jpg
this one looks like a painting

D:

I just beat it, and assumed it would save and load me right outside of Ganondorf, but it ends up sending my back to me last save

three hours, one triforce shard, countless new figures and map tiles and about 3,000 ruppees back. All gone.

Why!?
Had I known, I'd have saved right before. :(

ajim

I'm a little lost -
I just got Farore's Pearl from the Great Deku Tree and I don't know where to go from here. And I'm hopeless at understanding the map etc. I'm currently sitting at Windfall Island after sailing around aimlessly.

Any direction would be great thanks! :3

I'm a little lost -
I just got Farore's Pearl from the Great Deku Tree and I don't know where to go from here. And I'm hopeless at understanding the map etc. I'm currently sitting at Windfall Island after sailing around aimlessly.

Isn't the square you're supposed to sail to marked in flashing blue on the map?

Anteo

I'm a little lost -

You need to search for Lord Jabun. The map should have a pointer right? I recall the boat telling me that.

ajim

Was unaware of that? I've got some odd swirly blue thing flashing on my map - I was avoiding that because it just seemed dangerous lol. Guess I'll sail there....

You need to search for Lord Jabun. The map should have a pointer right? I recall the boat telling me that.
There's a directional arrow, however, it just points in the direction that the wind is going from my understanding.

Anteo

Was unaware of that? I've got some odd swirly blue thing flashing on my map - I was avoiding that because it just seemed dangerous lol. Guess I'll sail there....

There's a directional arrow, however, it just points in the direction that the wind is going from my understanding.

The blue flash is your next target. Go there. The boat put that marker on your map for you

I just love how this game looks; everything is so vibrant and smooth.

I know they are totally different games, but playing a few hours of GTA 5 and then playing wind waker is like night and day. Wind Waker's visuals are so crisp and colorful, it's very pleasing to the eyes.

Deku Tree

D:

I just beat it, and assumed it would save and load me right outside of Ganondorf, but it ends up sending my back to me last save

three hours, one triforce shard, countless new figures and map tiles and about 3,000 ruppees back. All gone.

Why!?
Had I known, I'd have saved right before. :(

You always gotta save every 15 minutes or so.

lumzi23

Looks good but I wish they had tried to further the cartoon aesthetic instead of this strange semi-3D thing they are doing.

Neiteio

OK, so what the hell? There's no way to invert the third-person camera? Just the first-person? I just played from the start up through Dragon Roost Island and it's awkward as hell controlling the camera this way.

Sometimes I hate how incompetent Nintendo is when it comes to the most utterly basic of options. Only Sakurai seems to know how to do customization right. I'm not even asking for anything crazy here. Just the ability to invert the Y-axis, the most utterly basic of all options.

Top Bottom