• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Tookay

In general I think time with this remake has taught me that the overall internet consensus on TWW has gotten a bit inflated, especially as memories have faded. Too much goes unmentioned when discussing the game's legendary status: the introduction is still slow, Forsaken Fortress is still tedious the two times you visit, the boss encounters are largely unmemorable (the final fight excluded), and - perhaps most damaging - the dungeons are really simple, in addition to being limited in number. And I'm not even going to bring up the Triforce quest.

TP and SS had their problems but TWW feels downright simplistic and rushed. I never get the sense that the following two console Zeldas were stretched as thin as this one on a content basis. They might have made their own share of dumb design decisions but not with corner cutting at least.

And don't get me wrong; it's still a great game (a lesser 3D Zelda is still better than most games) and makes up for its shortcomings in other areas but it's just been an eye opening experience. And it reinforces my belief that TP and SS got a lot of undue flack for problems inherent with most games in the series, while being subsequently overlooked for things they did very, very well in comparison to TWW.

In general I think time with this remake has taught me that the overall internet consensus on TWW has gotten a bit inflated, especially as memories have faded. Too much goes unmentioned when discussing the game's legendary status: the introduction is still slow, Forsaken Fortress is still tedious the two times you visit, the boss encounters are largely unmemorable (the final fight excluded), and - perhaps most damaging - the dungeons are really simple, in addition to being limited in number. And I'm not even going to bring up the Triforce quest.

TP and SS had their problems but TWW feels downright simplistic and rushed. I never get the sense that the following two console Zeldas were stretched as thin as this one on a content basis. They might have made their own share of dumb design decisions but not with corner cutting at least.

And don't get me wrong; it's still a great game (a lesser 3D Zelda is still better than most games) and makes up for its shortcomings in other areas but it's just been an eye opening experience. And it reinforces my belief that TP and SS got a lot of undue flack for problems inherent with most games in the series, while being subsequently overlooked for things they did very, very well in comparison to TWW.

complaints like this are certainly valid, and I can fully understand why so many people look at Zelda games from a dungeon biased perspective, but it isn't the dungeons (and it isn't just the charm) that get me to call Wind Waker the best in the series.

there's just so much more to Wind Waker than it's dungeons. It's over world is absolutely packed with things to do in comparison. People always claim it's rushed, but I honestly feel it's just the Zelda which put more focus onto the over world than the dungeons.

Exploring that ocean, visiting all those islands, doing all those side quests, that's what I miss when I play Skywards Sword and find it has a great big empty sky, and barely populated lands beneath. That's what I miss riding around Hyrule on a horse. Where's all the stuff to do? Where are all the interesting characters to interact with?

I'd love another Zelda to have a world as well realized as this one, rather than a poorly realized world linking together a bunch of action/puzzle levels. I can spend hours sailing the Great Sea. I can lose myself to it. I can't do that in the others. That for me is why they aren't as good.

TourianTourist

Neo Member
Someone at GameFAQs said that you don't keep your figurine collection in the 2nd Quest anymore. It will be reset... Is that true? Can anyone confirm this? This would be really aweful.

Nighttime on Windfall Island.

These shrooms are amazing!

Why is everybody staring at me?

Whoa man, look at those birds. I wish I could fly.

Aw yeah! I'm leaving ground.

So high!

The sun is rising. I should probably get something to eat.

Amazing Pics! That last one is gorgeous!

kizmah

Amazing Pics! That last one is gorgeous!

Thank you. It's almost impossible to take ugly screens in this game. It's just so beautiful and now in HD with added flourishes it's even more timeless then it already was in it's original state. I would go as far as to say that this is the most beautiful game ever.

The only way I could call the two Temples simplistic to the point of being substandard is if the standard was set as the top third of TP and SS. Even then I'll hold the earth temple up against anything but Arbiters Grounds/Snowpeak/Ancient Cistern. The fantastic atmosphere helps as well.

Got the Zelda WiiU edition and all I can say is wow. Played Wind Waker when it was first released, I don't know if it is because I am older now or what but I appreciate so much of this game now that it is not even funny. Everything from the expressions to the sound effects to the actual art style it is brilliant and well worth the play through for those still on the fence on this game (if there even is anyone still on the fence)

I booted up Wonderful 101 just to check it out and found myself coming back to this after the first mission in 101. Wonderful 101 is an amazing game but for some reason I have a Zelda itch that needs to be scratched and this game is here doing just that.

PLAY THIS GAME... You owe it to yourself if you never have before or even if you have but it has been the better part of a decade you need to play this again!

I actually want to buy a hard copy now just to boost game sales it is that good.

Fabrik

Banned
The only way I could call the two Temples simplistic to the point of being substandard is if the standard was set as the top third of TP and SS. Even then I'll hold the earth temple up against anything but Arbiters Grounds/Snowpeak/Ancient Cistern. The fantastic atmosphere helps as well.

The Earth Temple in WW is admittedly pretty good (I always like to play with bouncing ray of lights). Dragon Root is also pretty good as a first dungeon and feels organic.

Frodo

Like some people in this thread, I'm also enjoying this game now way more than I did the first time I played it.

It is not a rare occurrence for me to stop and just look at the game and see how beautiful it looks. And since it has been years since the last time I played it it feels fresh, and almost like I'm playing a new game.

Glad I bought it. :)

I sort of chuckled during the Tower of the Gods Bossfight when
I ran out of arrows and he sneezed out ammunition for me to murder him with.

Good dungeon, questionable boss. He needed like 3 or 4 more attack patterns and some more health maybe.

Poyunch

Hey now. The bosses were far from forgettable in this game.

caesar

Banned
I agree that the dungeons in WW are weak, but the overworld and setting (Windfall Island etc) surpass any other 3D Zelda for me.

The most sense of wonder I've ever had from Zelda is:

1: Sailing the sea in WW

2: Forest Temple in OOT

WW boss awesomeness tier

GOAT: Gannondorf

Great: Molgera; Kalle Demos; Puppet Ganon

Good: Helmaroc King; Gohma

Meh: Godhan; Jahalla

edit:
the real failure of WW is the lack of awesome mini bosses.

TP has a lock on that.

Timeaisis

WW boss awesomeness tier

GOAT: Gannondorf

Great: Molgera; Kalle Demos; Puppet Ganon

Good: Helmaroc King; Gohma

Meh: Godhan; Jahalla

edit:
the real failure of WW is the lack of awesome mini bosses.

TP has a lock on that.

Yeah, but SS has the best mini-boss of all time.
Scervo (The pirate boss from the sandship
. God damn.

Marjar

Banned
Beat this the other day.

This is above and beyond the best Zelda game. Makes me really excited to see what they have planned for Zelda Wii U.

Het_Nkik

I'm talking about the headphone jack. No sound comes out of it if you are playing on the tv. I don't understand how that can be overlooked.

Are you talking about... like, the full game audio. Music, sound effects, the whole nine yards? If that pumped out of both your TV (or surround speakers) as well as the Game Pad at the same time, that would be... annoying. I can't think of any games on Wii U that do this.

There really should be an option in games for it, though, for the people who easily want to use headphones while playing on the TV.

Personally, I'm really digging the dungeons in this game so far, they feel like the perfect length for me. Twilight Princess' seem to drag on forever and ever at times. Some may find this grand and epic, I just find it tiring after a while.

Deku Tree

I forgot how much fun I had with Wind Waker in the GC era. They really dramatically improved the game with the swift sail and the other refinements. I have been playing a lot and doing lots of side questing; so far I am up to the first return to outset island. WW HD is a beautiful game.

I am totally loving the Miiverse bottles in the ocean.

Timeaisis

I forgot how much fun I had with Wind Waker in the GC era. They really dramatically improved the game with the swift sail and the other refinements. I have been playing a lot and doing lots of side questing; so far I am up to the first return to outset island. WW HD is a beautiful game.

I am totally loving the Miiverse bottles in the ocean.

I still think Wind Waker has the best sidequests. It's probably the charm, but still. The one's in Windfall are all so fun.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Whoo. Spent 180 Rupees on a treasure chart and 220 on the Swift Sail at the auction. I have a problem with overpaying just to be sure I win. But I won. Swift Sail is so useful. Goddamn.

Deku Tree

Whoo. Spent 180 Rupees on a treasure chart and 220 on the Swift Sail at the auction. I have a problem with overpaying just to be sure I win. But I won. Swift Sail is so useful. Goddamn.

Rupees are plentiful in WW anyways. I have bought a ton of stuff, and done very few treasure hunts, and my 500 Rupee wallet has been full almost all the time. I just got the 1000 Rupee wallet, thank goodness.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Rupees are plentiful in WW anyways. I have bought a ton of stuff, and done very few treasure hunts, and my 500 Rupee wallet has been full almost all the time. I just got the 1000 Rupee wallet, thank goodness.
Yeah. That is pretty much the way I see it. All Zelda games since WInd Waker throw Rupees at you like its candy. But whatever.

Something I wish they had implemented though is the feature from Twilight Princess where if you open a chest with rupees in it and your wallet is full, it would put it back. WW will just waste them if you already have a full wallet. Shame. They added so much and forgot that.

I do wish they'd put more bonus stuff in. More islands and stuff. I know, the whole "more dungeons" complaint. But yes. This was a once in a lifetime chance to flesh the game out so much more. But fuck, it's good as it is already. I'm having a blast. I just wish there was more small islands to discover. Not even full dungeons, but small side quests and bonus places to discover.

Eh. Whatevs.

Anteo

uhhhhhhhh... Unless I got it by accident and never knew, pretty sure we start with 1000 max,

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Something I wish they had implemented though is the feature from Twilight Princess where if you open a chest with rupees in it and your wallet is full, it would put it back. WW will just waste them if you already have a full wallet. Shame. They added so much and forgot that.

WOW I am so glad they did not do that. It is literally the worst part of Twilight Princess. With how many rupees you can usually get in these games, to work through a puzzle and be granted a treasure chest that you can't open was horrifying. There it stayed, forever on the map, unless you used rupees and came back for it. Couldn't rely on treasure chest icons on dungeon maps to serve as a representation of "yep I been there, I done that." Chests all over the place, did you open it? Did it have a rupee in it? Did you solve that puzzle and just not get the contents of the chest, or did you not yet solve the puzzle? I would literally put on the magical armor and drop BOMBS on myself so I could lose rupees and pick the one out of the chest. A rupee is a lame reward already, but reaching a chest and not being able to check if off you map was the worst punishment of all.

Now some sort of interim state whereby chests that you opened but did not take the contents from would still be marked, maybe with a check or something, and we'd have a system close to being salvaged. Even that would be a huge pain in the ass though, who's ever gonna go back to a chest they already found? Especially one in a dungeon? I want dem chests cleared out, I really don't care if I get to keep the contents or not, when they're just rupees.

uhhhhhhhh... Unless I got it by accident and never knew, pretty sure we start with 1000 max,

Nope, 500 starting max. Fairies upgrade to 1000 and then 5000.

Sendou

Well, it was tough. But that's why I loved it so much. It was like the
Ghirahim
fights, but on a
plank of a Pirate Ship!
God damn, was that fun.

Yeah it was tough alright. I'm also one of the those people who found the controls wonky.

AniHawk

I've always thought that it was strange how people tended to give WW a pass for its opening while complaining about TP. They're both similarly frustrating to me in terms of wanting to get on with it already. In theory Forsaken Fortress is a "dungeon" but like you said it's not a very good one, and god forbid you make a mistake and have to go through it again.

yeah, for me, the meat and potatoes of tww starts with dragon roost island. it's a traditional dungeon while forsaken fortress is a tutorial in how to pick up enemy weapons and maneuver around obstacles. in that sense, it's not a bad thing, but i felt a lot of those teaching moments were already present in rescuing tetra. so it comes off as a lengthened part of a tutorial.

twilight princess starts at the forest temple. that's after getting the cat, herding goats, getting your tunic, turning into a wolf, and finding the master sword, but it all felt like it was supposed to be building up to something. tww, in comparison, acts like it hits the ground running, but the things it has you do are extremely basic for a good long while. there's a disconnect between the urgency of the plot and what the player is actually doing.

King_Moc

Banned
Figured i'd give this new screenshot feature a whirl. Link on a windy day...

i1PvUFXJrqTcL.jpg

JaseMath

Guys, I did it. After months of talking trash on WW HD, complaining about the price, saying I wouldn't buy it, etc., I finally gave in when the LE became available (the second time) and ordered one. I'm a hypocrite, but that Ganondorf....

Anyway, I opened it, so there's no turning back. I suddenly want to play WW despite my misgivings from having played it years ago. I'm hopeful it'll leave a better taste in my mouth with the enhancements this time around.

Timeaisis

Guys, I did it. After months of talking trash on WW HD, complaining about the price, saying I wouldn't buy it, etc., I finally gave in when the LE became available (the second time) and ordered one. I'm a hypocrite, but that Ganondorf....

Anyway, I opened it, so there's no turning back. I suddenly want to play WW despite my misgivings from having played it years ago. I'm hopeful it'll leave a better taste in my mouth with the enhancements this time around.

Here's hoping you like it better than previously!

you fell into the hype... It is quite good I hope you enjoy it this time.

I finished this last night. It's still as great as it was a decade ago. Definitely in my top 20 favorite games. Also it makes me want an HD release of Twilight Princess, since it looks so ugly nowadays and I want to give it another chance. I wasn't a fan of it when it came out. Not sure why.

Top Bottom