• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

kunonabi

OK, so what the hell? There's no way to invert the third-person camera? Just the first-person? I just played from the start up through Dragon Roost Island and it's awkward as hell controlling the camera this way.

Sometimes I hate how incompetent Nintendo is when it comes to the most utterly basic of options. Only Sakurai seems to know how to do customization right. I'm not even asking for anything crazy here. Just the ability to invert the Y-axis, the most utterly basic of all options.

this isn't really common with nintendo at all. hell, miyamoto hates noninverted cameras.

mrkgoo

OK, so what the hell? There's no way to invert the third-person camera? Just the first-person? I just played from the start up through Dragon Roost Island and it's awkward as hell controlling the camera this way.

Sometimes I hate how incompetent Nintendo is when it comes to the most utterly basic of options. Only Sakurai seems to know how to do customization right. I'm not even asking for anything crazy here. Just the ability to invert the Y-axis, the most utterly basic of all options.

It's because it's not a y-axis control. It's a zoom level. Up gets the camera closer, down zooms out for a wider view. So naturally, if you zoom out the camera moves up and points down and vice versa.

mrkgoo

Somehow I doubt it since you can turn Hero mode off and on any time and anyone could simply just keep it off until the final battle, which is pretty easy. It'd be too easy to exploit. If they'd made it so Hero mode was a special game type that is always on then maybe.

Couldn't they give you a medal on your save file if you never switched it back to normal mode? I'm sure some games have for it this way before.

D-e-f-

Banned

It's the exact same way as in the original. It's a zoom-axis, not a rotating axis. I really don't see a big issue there. You're not using it to aim at anything. And I'm usually the first to bitch about non-inverted camera.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yesterday I played through the very beginning. This must be one of the most screenshottable games ever made.

(Sorry for the Miiverse resolution)
BboIWOQ.jpg

cJ0VOo1.jpg

qzDPqpW.jpg

48uP71t.jpg

CBDIoiG.jpg

Bonus: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAADYUV6pFHx6Fg

D:

I just beat it, and assumed it would save and load me right outside of Ganondorf, but it ends up sending my back to me last save

three hours, one triforce shard, countless new figures and map tiles and about 3,000 ruppees back. All gone.

Why!?
Had I known, I'd have saved right before. :(
That sucks but sorry if if I'm not sympathetic. If you want it to save somewhere, then save. It takes literally 2 seconds.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Alright guys, Wind Waker or Wonderful 101? I'm looking to get one of them this weekend and I'm not sure which to grab.

I've played WW back in the GC days but never got past the end collectathon, because I lost interest.

Wonderful 101 I'm not big on the demo, but I'm thinking the full game eases you into everything better. Plus I love how vibrant and unique it is.

Which should I go for?

I would agree with you except for the fact that the camera pivot isn't locked to you, inverted Y makes no sense within that context.

Does the Nintendo Gallery reset on a new game plus?

No.

Neiteio

It's the exact same way as in the original. It's a zoom-axis, not a rotating axis. I really don't see a big issue there. You're not using it to aim at anything. And I'm usually the first to bitch about non-inverted camera.
Call it whatever you want, but the fact remains this is exactly the same kind of third-person camera found in MGS and countless other third-person titles, all of which allow you to invert the camera controls. So it's bewildering Nintendo didn't include the option. This is 2013, not 2002. A remake that fixes broken features. The fact they allow you to invert the left/right but not the up/down for the third-person camera is bullshit.

equippedwithtowel said:
I would agree with you except for the fact that the camera pivot isn't locked to you, inverted Y makes no sense within that context.
It is locked to you. The camera always pans around, and zooms in and out, on Link. This is no different than any other third-person game with the character's body in full view.

D-e-f-

Banned
Call it whatever you want, but the fact remains this is exactly the same kind of third-person camera found in MGS and countless other third-person titles, all of which allow you to invert the camera controls. So it's bewildering Nintendo didn't include the option. This is 2013, not 2002. A remake that fixes broken features. The fact they allow you to invert the left/right but not the up/down for the third-person camera is bullshit.

It is locked to you. The camera always pans around, and zooms in and out, on Link. This is no different than any other third-person game with the character's body in full view.

Huh? But it's precisely NOT like other games. The WW camera strictly zooms in and out on the Y-axis. All the other third person games rotate vertically around you. It would be unplayable for me if it were like in other games.

AniHawk

man, this is really hittin a groove now. the red sail + the warp song really make exploration easy. fairly sure i'm running into places i never did before. i've also found one triforce chart already by just dickin' around.

i don't even remember what exactly to do next, but i'm sure part of it involves the fire/ice minidungeon.

Neiteio

Huh? But it's precisely NOT like other games. The WW camera strictly zooms in and out on the Y-axis. All the other third person games rotate vertically around you. It would be unplayable for me if it were like in other games.
You seriously can't picture it working if it were inverted?

Whatever, I don't want to argue, this game already is a $60 headache.

Satch

Banned
Alright guys, Wind Waker or Wonderful 101? I'm looking to get one of them this weekend and I'm not sure which to grab.

I've played WW back in the GC days but never got past the end collectathon, because I lost interest.

Wonderful 101 I'm not big on the demo, but I'm thinking the full game eases you into everything better. Plus I love how vibrant and unique it is.

Which should I go for?
get wondy101

Deku Tree

Which should I go for?

Depends upon what you want really. They are very different experiences. I haven't played W101 yet, but it is a beat em up. I imagine that it can be quite difficult at times. If you like Viewtiful Joe type games then you'll probably like W101 a lot. If not, then you might not be into it.

Nintendo seems to have fixed a lot of the problems people had with WW in the HD version, especially including the end collection. So if that was your main problem with it then it shouldn't be a problem any more.

I say buy both eventually, but start with WW HD.

Apenheul

Which should I go for?
Wonderful 101, just like you I wasn't big on the demo but the full game is basically my GOTY so far. The demo is just a third of the first mission of the game and it already threw Unite Builds at you that you're supposed to acquire later in the game, I consider the first couple of missions to be a tutorial for getting used to which Unite Builds and attacks work for which situations and against which enemies, after that it's just a rollercoaster of awesome. It starts as some sort of a beat 'm up, but halfway the game it transcends that genre, even incorporating influences from play systems you really wouldn't expect.

D-e-f-

Banned
You seriously can't picture it working if it were inverted?

Whatever, I don't want to argue, this game already is a $60 headache.

You misunderstand. I meant it would be unplayable if the camera worked like in other games and there would be no option to invert Y. Since I said it multiple times in this thread already I left it out this time: I'm a hardcore invert-Y player. I would be right there with you holding the pitchfork if this were any other typical third person game. But it's not. It works perfectly fine here the way it is. Sure, it wouldn't have hurt them to include the option but it's perfectly playable the way it is for someone whose first action in any game with camera controls is to invert Y (me).

Neiteio

You misunderstand. I meant it would be unplayable if the camera worked like in other games and there would be no option to invert Y. Since I said it multiple times in this thread already I left it out this time: I'm a hardcore invert-Y player. I would be right there with you holding the pitchfork if this were any other typical third person game. But it's not. It works perfectly fine here the way it is. Sure, it wouldn't have hurt them to include the option but it's perfectly playable the way it is for someone whose first action in any game with camera controls is to invert Y (me).
Eh, I don't know what to think. I'll get used to it, I suppose. I just needed to vent, and perhaps knee-jerked a bit. I loved the camera back in the day, but it feels so off now. I so badly want to invert it. I'm nearly positive it would still work.

I appreciate your patience with me. Let's just move on. :)

All in all, the game is great. Better pacing than I remember -- I cleared Outset, the ship and Forsaken Fortress in relatively quick fashion, while still being thorough and talking to everyone twice, etc. So much charm in this game. The controls are a bit "stickier" than I remember -- you have to tap twice in a given direction to get Link moving, unlike TW101 where movement is instantaneous. But all in all it's still a joy just to run and roll around, leaving whimsically animated dust trails and cleaving through tall grass and trees.

I didn't take a picture of the Postman when he was on Dragon Roost. I think he's a missable, but your progress on Nintendo Gallery carries over to New Game +, right?

Finding Tingle Bottles is neat -- two of them were floating right next to each other outside the wind gods' shrine on Dragon Roost. I see I have an option to "keep" screens taken by others. Where are they stored exactly?

Neiteio

On the camera. It treats like it like you took the image yourself.
Interesting. How many Tingle Bottle messages can I have before they start disappearing or being replaced by new ones?

Also, do these messages show up on the normal Miiverse community board for TWW HD?

mrkgoo

Interesting. How many Tingle Bottle messages can I have before they start disappearing or being replaced by new ones?

Also, do these messages show up on the normal Miiverse community board for TWW HD?

Re camera:

The reason it feels like a y-axis camera us because bit does rotate a little. When you pull down on the right stick, it does rotate pointing down.

However, it's very deliberate, because when you pull down, the camera is pulling up and away - it is zooming out and away from your character. It only makes sense if you're pulling away that it points down so you can see your environment. It makes no sense to pull away and point at the sky.

In that sense the up/down axis isn't controlling the y-axis of the camera as such, it's controlling the z-axis. In other words the r-stick controls the camera in x and z-axes. There is no manual y-axis control, so they make it automatic to a degree and attach it to the level of zoom.

I suppose they could have had an 'invert z' in the control where pushing up on the r-stick would actually zoom out, but that would make about as much sense as having an invert - run option in the l-stick where pulling up makes you run into the screen.

Alternatively, I also suppose they could have allowed an option to invert how it pans along y-axis with the zoom level so that when you pull down on the r-stick it zooms out, but points UP, but that would be so weird.

Easiest way to look at it is picturing how the camera works in a driving game. As you zoom closer to in cock pit, try camera gets lower. Zoom out and out of the car the camera will move away and point slightly down so you can see the track.

In other news, I've been playing hero mode and I'm finding I hate it and am not enjoying the game. I spend my time creeping around managing items like a resident evil game, saving, reloading. Sure, it's more challenging, I'm using more items, and rewards feel much war rewarding, but I'm not having fun. I think I'm going to turn it off.

Maybe it's timing in my life. I don't want a challenging game, not one that takes a lot Rffort to play.

Deku Tree

In other news, I've been playing hero mode and I'm finding I hate it and am not enjoying the game. I spend my time creeping around managing items like a resident evil game, saving, reloading. Sure, it's more challenging, I'm using more items, and rewards feel much war rewarding, but I'm not having fun. I think I'm going to turn it off.

Maybe it's timing in my life. I don't want a challenging game, not one that takes a lot Rffort to play.

I am playing Hero mode too. And I have a wife, a small child, and a time consuming full time job. So yeah I have no time for anything. I found that spending time collecting heart pieces and bottles, and filling the bottles with fairies or potions makes a big difference. I actually feel like Hero mode is too easy. I very infrequently see the game over screen. And when I do see it, you keep all your progress and it merely reloads you to the entrance to the dungeon.

mrkgoo

I am playing Hero mode too. And I have a wife, a small child, and a time consuming full time job. So yeah I have no time for anything. I found that spending time collecting heart pieces and bottles, and filling the bottles with fairies or potions makes a big difference. I actually feel like Hero mode is too easy. I very infrequently see the game over screen. And when I do see it, you keep all your progress and it merely reloads you to the entrance to the dungeon.

Yeah wife and kid as well.

I find the game very different and about item management a bit more than on zero mode.

It's not really how I want to play it. Obviously it will get much better with more bottles but farming fairies and saving reloading just seems against what I think a zelda game is about. For me it's the adventuring and kind forgetting about technical game
Mechanics.

Hero mode does have me approaching combat in a different way though, which is pretty interesting. Like standing back and throwing deku sticks at enemies. Lol

olimpia84

I started this game yesterday. I can't believe how good it looks, screenshots don't do the game justice; seeing this game in motion is amazing.

D-e-f-

Banned
Man this game doesn't get enough credit for all the new subtle elements it brought to the series' puzzle design with physics and environmental stuff. I'm two dungeons in and I'm constantly being reminded how amazing all that stuff is considering this was a game that came out in 2002.

Danielsan

Got the game this week (€ 30 download code) and I'm really enjoying going back to this game after so long. It looks absolutely stunning too. Probably the best looking Wii U game around. Sadly the framerate is unacceptably bad in spots. Especially when firing the cannon at sea (or when getting fired at).

hoserx

Just picked it up today, along with two other friends:

mKn0q2Q.jpg

I just want to say that the game is beautiful. The screenshots and videos look great, but it's just fantastic in person on a nice television. Worth every cent of the $50........got it at toys r' us, buy one 3ds/Wii U game, get 40 % off the second one. (Parma, Ohio.)

Bah, one Heart Piece short and I can't for the life of me figure out what one it is.
These 2 are pretty easy to miss since they're not tied to any sort of sidequest, mini game or treasure chart. It wouldn't surprise me if it was one of em.

Rock Spire Isle, there are 2 cannon boat guys floating around. Take em out and pull up the treasure they leave behind, one of em will be a heart piece.

or

Headstone Island, the entrance to the Earth Temple. Take control of a seagull with a pear and grab the heart piece at the top with the gull.

These 2 are pretty easy to miss since they're not tied to any sort of sidequest, mini game or treasure chart. It wouldn't surprise me if it was one of em.

Rock Spire Isle, there are 2 cannon boat guys floating around. Take em out and pull up the treasure they leave behind, one of em will be a heart piece.

or

Headstone Island, the entrance to the Earth Temple. Take control of a seagull with a pear and grab the heart piece at the top with the gull.
I had loosely been using a guide so I do have both of those, definitely would have missed them otherwise. Its probably in a sub or something like that since I have all the relevant charts that lead to hearts as well and think I have completed the sidequests.

Thanks though!

Just completed the game after buying it last Saturday. I'm not a crazy person--this is my favorite 3D Zelda. The
Triforce fetch
quest still sucks, but it's much more manageable in the HD version. I love the 4-6 dungeons, and the final boss fight. The gamepad integration was really well done, even if it wasn't for novel uses. Having maps up while sailing and quick, easy item switching were huge to me.

What a special game this still is.

Finally got around to playing the game, and just beat the first boss. Dear lord the framerate during the battle...
Anyway it's been many years since I played WW and as a result I've forgotten nearly everything, so I'm enjoying it again as if it's my first time through.
I'm still not sold on the new graphic filters/effects though. Some stuff genuinely looks fantastic while some look out of place and/or badly implemented.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I gave up on my first encounter with WW back in 2004 - I was seriously sick when I started playing it, and that did not allow me to properly appreciate the game, so I dropped it after 5 or so hours in. Peculiarly enough, I never returned to it afterwards. Well, who knew it'd be for the better! Now I'm having a serious blast with the remake. Twilight Princess was my favorite 3D Zelda, but WW beats that. Save for the few quirks that I remember from the original, everything in this WW feels just so.. right.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Completed the game today, 38ish hours. Spent most of my time over the last few days just following the various charts. Secret cave chart, submarine chart, etc. Pullin all the hidden stuff out of the ocean. It's kinda silly to me, the people who say this or that about the "Triforce quest," when what I'm doin there is basically the same thing as that, but 10x bigger and more involved. Anyone really trying to "complete" the game and not just "beat" it I figure has gotta be doing something like that, right? Using all the charts, trying to find all the things? The reaction the Triforce stuff has gotten over the years really makes me think that most people just don't try to play "all" of Zelda games. The Triforce bit is SUCH a tiny part of the overall "explore and find all the things" element of the game, of any Zelda game really. It just turns that part of the game into 10% mandatory instead of 100% optional. Really makes me think, that so many people just don't play Zelda games to completion. Such a waste.

I think it was just that the Triforce Quest was just plain not fun. A lot of needlessly slow busy work. Had it been optional I don't think I would have liked it any more.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think it was just that the Triforce Quest was just plain not fun. A lot of needlessly slow busy work. Had it been optional I don't think I would have liked it any more.

The only thing different about a Triforce chart vs any of the other 40+ charts in the game is that you have to take it to Tingle first, though. Considering Tingle's island is a warp point, it seems like such an infinitesimal inconvenience. Unless the argument here is that ANY of the "do thing, get chart from it, pull up treasure" in the game is just plain not fun. Which I can't really get on board with.

Completed the game today, 38ish hours. Spent most of my time over the last few days just following the various charts. Secret cave chart, submarine chart, etc. Pullin all the hidden stuff out of the ocean. It's kinda silly to me, the people who say this or that about the "Triforce quest," when what I'm doin there is basically the same thing as that, but 10x bigger and more involved. Anyone really trying to "complete" the game and not just "beat" it I figure has gotta be doing something like that, right? Using all the charts, trying to find all the things? The reaction the Triforce stuff has gotten over the years really makes me think that most people just don't try to play "all" of Zelda games. The Triforce bit is SUCH a tiny part of the overall "explore and find all the things" element of the game, of any Zelda game really. It just turns that part of the game into 10% mandatory instead of 100% optional. Really makes me think, that so many people just don't play Zelda games to completion. Such a waste.
It just depends in how interesting the activity is, a 10% if its feels like filler or unisnspired then people will find that portion tedious and more substantial that it might actually be.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got annoyed again. Got to the sages islands and went south first. took me ages looking for that particular little guy before consulting a guide and finding out I couldn't do that island until after I'd done the one in the north.

Nothing in the game seems to tell you that, you can access both islands at the same time because you unlock the items needed at the same time (from your arrow upgrade). This was an issue on the GameCube, so couldn't they just have put something in to point you in the right direction? Can't believe I'm asking for a zelda game to hold my hand.

Top Bottom