• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Got annoyed again. Got to the sages islands and went south first. took me ages looking for that particular little guy before consulting a guide and finding out I couldn't do that island until after I'd done the one in the north.

Nothing in the game seems to tell you that, you can access both islands at the same time because you unlock the items needed at the same time (from your arrow upgrade). This was an issue on the GameCube, so couldn't they just have put something in to point you in the right direction? Can't believe I'm asking for a zelda game to hold my hand.
There's a clue about it in the game.

You need
Makar
to get in the Wind Temple. If you ask the Deku Tree about the Forest Koroks, he mentions that
Makar is nowhere to be seen and it would be useless to search for him right now.
After beating the Earth Temple this changes to a clue about
hearing the music nearby.
If that's not enough of an indication to do the Earth Temple first then I don't know what is.
The part where he says useless is bolded and red in in-game text as well, which is Zelda speak for big clue.

The only thing different about a Triforce chart vs any of the other 40+ charts in the game is that you have to take it to Tingle first, though. Considering Tingle's island is a warp point, it seems like such an infinitesimal inconvenience. Unless the argument here is that ANY of the "do thing, get chart from it, pull up treasure" in the game is just plain not fun. Which I can't really get on board with.
Oh, well, then there is where our disagreement is. I didn't particularly care for the Treasure Chart system.

Another problem with the Triforce Quest could be that most people do it all at once. Treasure hunting isn't so bad when you use it to space out main quest objectives, but, while you can do so with the Triforce Quest for the most part, you aren't encouraged to do so and it's not made entirely clear when you can exactly start it. You're told about it and given a chart that points them out, but the King of Red Lions, the player's guide, insists on moving from temple to temple.

I would also argue, even beyond just treasure charts, a couple of the original Triforce pieces were just excessive; particularly the Ghost Ship and the Private Oasis ones. Like, it feels like too many steps to take for a relatively small gain in game progress. The removal of the charts in these instances for WWHD I feel was absolutely the right decision.

EDIT: The absurd money requirement was silly as well, requiring over 3000 rupees. It felt like a poorly thought out band-aid to the game's bad economy.

Effect

Just got the
Earth God's Lyric
song. How far am I from the end?

I'm more certain then ever that I never finished the game. I don't even believe I got anywhere close to where I am now. However at the same time I'm finding the game pretty easy overall. I'm not crazy about the sailing though. The fun of it wore off pretty quickly. Even with the swift sail, which I got far to late as I didn't remember the auctions took place at night. I had to look it up and while I did I checked out a few other things to make the process of getting them easier. Just so I wouldn't be aimless wandering the ocean.

The problem isn't the sailing as a method of travel itself but blandness of actually doing it. There is a lack of interactivity with it that the other methods before and after do have. I was prepared for this though so it isn't a big shock but somewhat annoying. I can let it go as later games certainly have improved this.

I can see now why people say it's one of the easiest in the series and perhaps the easiest of the 3D Zelda games. Skyward Sword was certainly a LOT more challenging but that's mainly because of how the combat was setup. Twilight Princess walks all over this in terms of dungeon design I feel. The game has made me appreciate the combat changes in Skyward Sword a LOT more then I already did. What this game does have is tons of charm.

I already picked up one the
Triforce pieces
. One from the labyrinth. Was curious as to what the prize would in the end. Didn't expect it though.

The game is still very enjoyable even with some of the complaints I have.

I am loving this game.

Sailing around during the day watching the seagulls follow you....so amazing. Kicking myself for never playing it before now but it is nice to have this experience. Looks gorgeous and whoever thought of the selfie pictures when they were making this. I love you.

AniHawk

i just got the two final pieces of music and i'm just about ready for the last part of the game.

as much as i enjoyed the first playthrough in 2003, and as much as i still liked it in 2004, i have to say that i still felt like i was moving at nintendo's pace. the red sail and the way the endgame is now treated has really worked out for the better. i feel like i'm actually exploring this tiny world now instead of just traveling from place to place. i went ahead and charted the ocean this time too, and found new areas i had never been to before. i'll probably comb the ocean once again before heading off to the final confrontation.

acidagfc

Spent entire Sunday playing it + an hour or so today before work.
Got to the
first Ganondorf "encounter" and finally heard the name Zelda :D

This game! So, sooo good. So much stuff to explore! And I don't even have the full toolset yet! Hope I will finish it before the TLBW :)

My only gripe is framerate at some scenes. It goes down really bad. It's okay while I'm in the ocean, but during a bossfight? Come on!

EDIT: How do I upgrade the camera to make colored pics?

AniHawk

Spent entire Sunday playing it + an hour or so today before work.
Got to the
first Ganondorf "encounter" and finally heard the name Zelda :D

This game! So, sooo good. So much stuff to explore! And I don't even have the full toolset yet! Hope I will finish it before the TLBW :)

My only gripe is framerate at some scenes. It goes down really bad. It's okay while I'm in the ocean, but during a bossfight? Come on!

EDIT: How do I upgrade the camera to make colored pics?

talk to lenzo. he'll talk to you about becoming his apprentice. then he'll tell you pictures you need to take. it's kind of a long quest, but it's all on windfall.

the guy with the mustache and red overalls will mail a letter. you have to get a picture of him with the letter in hand as he's putting it into the mail box.

there's a girl in an orange dress out in the courtyard area outside of lenzo's shop near some stairs. you'll have to take a picture of her and a guy as he crosses paths. you need to do it as they stop and look at each other.

in the bar area, you'll need to scare the guy who's there in the daytime. he'll be the one not running the bar, next to some tables. you can throw a pot at him or roll into the table. then he'll start cowering in fear. you have to get the picture while he's cowering in fear.

you have to make sure not to take the pictures too far away, but you also have to make sure to get their head and feet in the frame.

acidagfc

talk to lenzo. he'll talk to you about becoming his apprentice. then he'll tell you pictures you need to take. it's kind of a long quest, but it's all on windfall.

Thanks! I guess I have to talk to everyone at least twice :/ I swear I talked to this guy and never got the quest.

69wpm

Can somebody please tell me how many members the Japanese Miiverse community has?

Europe: 47k
NA: 91k

Would be interesting to compare the numbers.

LTWood12

I've never played through a Zelda game (& I'm 29!) Started SS on Wii and liked it, but tapered off about ten hours in. WW has really caught my eye. I loved Okami, and I believe it was inspired by this game. Are there a lot of similarities?

D-e-f-

Banned
I've never played through a Zelda game (& I'm 29!) Started SS on Wii and liked it, but tapered off about ten hours in. WW has really caught my eye. I loved Okami, and I believe it was inspired by this game. Are there a lot of similarities?

Kamiya hates Wind Waker. It's safe to say Okami was inspired by Zelda games in general. Not Wind Waker specifically.

Timeaisis

Just finished the game yesterday. Still as good as I remember. The
triforce quest
wasn't nearly painful as I recall it being, but that's probably because they eliminated some annoying things.

Honestly, I can of had fun doing the
triforce hunt.
, it got me to fill out my map and explore the rest of the world. I don't like using guides for Zelda, so I never get 100% on the first run, but I got up to 17 hearts +
35/40 treasures
, thanks to me looking for those
damn triforce pieces. Heh.

On a separate note, how the hell are you supposed to be able to find the
pirate ship
apart from pure luck. I was lucky enough to find
diamond steppe island
last, so the fish tip about the
chart
being there was relevant to what I was looking for. How I would've remembered to go there otherwise is beyond me.

Anyway, still probably my favorite Zelda...I go back and forth. Definitely the most charming.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
35/40 treasures

There are 46 treasure maps. :D

On a separate note, how the hell are you supposed to be able to find the
pirate ship
apart from pure luck. I was lucky enough to find
diamond steppe island
last, so the fish tip about the
chart
being there was relevant to what I was looking for. How I would've remembered to go there otherwise is beyond me.

Simple matter of not leaving any island un-explored, really. Can't get up there without the hookshot, so once you get it, time to go back to a few islands and see what you'd been missing.

Really?! Whoa I didn't know that. Can you link me to something about that?

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/09/19/kamiya-explains-why-he-isnt-a-fan-of-zelda-wind-waker/

Nothing too exciting. Okami had way too MANY dungeons, sounds like he was overcompensating.

Can somebody please tell me how many members the Japanese Miiverse community has?

Europe: 47k
NA: 91k

Would be interesting to compare the numbers.

It's not members, it's the number of people who have "participated by writing posts or comments, or giving posts Yeahs."

That includes people who don't own the game.

Timeaisis

There are 46 treasure maps. :D

GAH! Well, I guess I'll have to keep looking.

Unrelated (again). People complain this game is easy...but that
Savage labyrinth.
. Damn. Funny, because I didn't even use the
Hero's Charm
, I just got it for the sake of getting it.

69wpm

It's not members, it's the number of people who have "participated by writing posts or comments, or giving posts Yeahs."

That includes people who don't own the game.

I know, that's why I said members, as in community members. Should use a better term next time :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Have my copy. Sunk in a good few hours today. Enjoying it, but it really does highlight many of the mechanical and design improvements Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword put forth for the franchise, along with Wind Waker's weakest aspects (like the dungeons and combat).

Also finding my pre-release opinion of the new rendering holds up. Game is unbelievably gorgeous whenever you're in the overworld, where a strong global light doesn't have to fight with the cel shading. It pretty much looks like Wind Waker at 1080p, with a far more improved shadow renderer casting from more objects, ambient occlusions, and a subtle bloom that makes colours "pop" beautifully. But whenever you're in an area that fights the original cel shading, where local lighting takes priority and overrides the cel shading effect, the game in my opinion looks worse than the original, simply because the technical issues clash with the art style.

I'm still pretty early, but once I've finished tea I'll sink back into it. Love marathoning Zeldas.

Dr Dogg

We'll after finishing up TW101 earlier this week I can finally get tucked into the Wind Waker now. Still looks fantastic in places and amazing what a HD lick of paint to the textures and resolution bump has done (last time I played through was on Dolphin and this is streets ahead and obviously has proper widescreen support).

Still I can see the biggest time sink being the Picto Box + Miivesre combo. I never bothered with the Nintendo Collection quest before but now I'm taking snaps of any bizarre or curious thing in the game.

Scrabble

So I'm actually playing on Dolphin, don't know if there's any significant differences, but does the game get any harder later on? I just completed the Forbidden Woods dungeon and so far it's been pretty easy. I just walk into the next room and almost immediately know what I have to do. Thankfully no parts have been really tedious, like having to constantly pick up and put down Zora in Jabu's belly, but it would be nice if it got a little bit more involved.

So far though I'm loving it and the game still looks incredible. Seeing the lava rise up in Dragon's Roost just left me speechless like any top big AAA game this gen, and there is so much emotion and attention to detail on Link as fights, moves around, etc that really brings the game to life.

D-e-f-

Banned
So I'm actually playing on Dolphin, don't know if there's any significant differences, but does the game get any harder later on? I just completed the Forbidden Woods dungeon and so far it's been pretty easy. I just walk into the next room and almost immediately know what I have to do. Thankfully no parts have been really tedious, like having to constantly pick up and put down Zora in Jabu's belly, but it would be nice if it got a little bit more involved.

So far though I'm loving it and the game still looks incredible. Seeing the lava rise up in Dragon's Roost just left me speechless like any top big AAA game this gen, and there is so much emotion and attention to detail on Link as fights, moves around, etc that really brings the game to life.

Oh there are. As for getting harder, Wind Waker is notorious for being ridiculously easy which is why Hero Mode in WWHD is such a welcome addition. Also, there are two companion-based dungeons so you might wanna hold off on being thankful :)

Exile20

This game is so fucking beautiful. Fuck man. Such a joy to play.

I didn't play the GC version so this is like heaven to me. My wife is watching me play it and she is enjoying just as much as me. Thank you Nintendo.

I'm very early on (just got the shield) but so far its an amazing game. The art style is amazing in HD and hasn't aged a bit.

looking forward to getting out to the sea, but I am so happy I got a wii U.

mrkgoo

Hero mode:

As I sort of expected, Hero mode changes up the game, but not for the better. It doesn't so much add challenge, as it does frustration.

You're constantly worrying about inadvertent damage that it just annoys you. It's great in that it means your money is sort of more valuable in the early game, and you approach enemies with more tact and using other items more creatively, but once into mid-game, I find it more annoying than interesting. Messes with the flow of the game having to travel back and forth just to pick up fairies.

It's like you finish a dungeon, and instead of moving on to something fun like finding new treasure or advancing the main game, you have to make a detour to go get some fairies.

I still maintain that the game balancing should have been that enemy damage doubling be fine, but keep the recovery hearts, or limit their frequency, not remove them.

I understand this is a hero mode and optional, but one of my biggest beefs with the original game was the sense of challenge that diminished the value of many upgrades and items. I feel that doubling damage without changing the way you play the game to be pretty close to a perfect balancing.

D-e-f-

Banned
Hero mode:

As I sort of expected, Hero mode changes up the game, but not for the better. It doesn't so much add challenge, as it does frustration.

You're constantly worrying about inadvertent damage that it just annoys you. It's great in that it means your money is sort of more valuable in the early game, and you approach enemies with more tact and using other items more creatively, but once into mid-game, I find it more annoying than interesting. Messes with the flow of the game having to travel back and forth just to pick up fairies.

It's like you finish a dungeon, and instead of moving on to something fun like finding new treasure or advancing the main game, you have to make a detour to go get some fairies.

I still maintain that the game balancing should have been that enemy damage doubling be fine, but keep the recovery hearts, or limit their frequency, not remove them.

I understand this is a hero mode and optional, but one of my biggest beefs with the original game was the sense of challenge that diminished the value of many upgrades and items. I feel that doubling damage without changing the way you play the game to be pretty close to a perfect balancing.

You keep talking about fairies. Are you aware that you can buy potions from the rats?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hero mode

Honestly, it was rare for me to actually use my potions, because I was regularly exploring the world and finding pieces of hearts, and each found piece restored all my health. My primary potion system was the boko baba seeds. Overall I loved the increased emphasis on the potion system, it gave purpose to a largely vestigial system, and made me play a bit more defensively. Great tweaks.

BTW, about the rat potions, I tried to do that in the Forsaken Forest a dozen times and was never offered anything but bait. I finally got a rat to sell me a potion in Dragon Roost Cavern, but that was the only time. They aren't as reliable a method as people advertise. That said, it's pretty easy to make it to Forest Haven, and an infinite supply of blue potions, without too much frustration.

mrkgoo

You keep talking about fairies. Are you aware that you can buy potions from the rats?

Honestly, it was rare for me to actually use my potions, because I was regularly exploring the world and finding pieces of hearts, and each found piece restored all my health. My primary potion system was the boko baba seeds. Overall I loved the increased emphasis on the potion system, it gave purpose to a largely vestigial system, and made me play a bit more defensively. Great tweaks.

BTW, about the rat potions, I tried to do that in the Forsaken Forest a dozen times and was never offered anything but bait. I finally got a rat to sell me a potion in Dragon Roost Cavern, but that was the only time. They aren't as reliable a method as people advertise. That said, it's pretty easy to make it to Forest Haven, and an infinite supply of blue potions, without too much frustration.

Yes, I am aware of the various position methods. I just don't find them interesting.

Like I said I think the added value to that system and rewards in general is commendable, but it's largely unnecessary busy work to me. And yes I know that can be said of many other things in the game, and of games in general, but hero mode feels like an option to 'turn on more busy work' without actually significantly increasing challenge. And I don't mean 'significantly' as in 'more' I mean it as anything meaningful.

By mid game it's like the extra damage enemies do isn't that big a change and having to find ways to replenish life is just annoying rather than rewarding.

Basically I feel the cons outweighs the pros in hero mode.

For me.

Levyne

Banned
Couldn't track down the screen shot thread. Just a few from today, first time uploading shots.

zlCfzRKFsH8VcEEqLC

zlCfzRKFroIi3rV3e-

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Talking of potions, considering how easy it is to get blue potions from the Forest Haven its weird that getting the blue potion from the Potion Shop is made a challenge.

WEll it's just another thing to do for 100% completion and if you're visiting every island it's easy enough to kill 15 of them as you go about your business.

AniHawk

i've done all the exploring i feel like doing, and i'm all set for the endgame. gonna write up my full thoughts later, but this was a much longer game than i remembered.

i've done all the exploring i feel like doing, and i'm all set for the endgame. gonna write up my full thoughts later, but this was a much longer game than i remembered.

That's interesting, cause I felt like it was a much shorter game than I remembered. It was definitely shorter than TP and SS.

Deku Tree

I love hero mode. Once you get the
warp song
finding fairies is trivial and takes only one minute.

The blue potion is useless
once you get grandmas potion which you get before the blue potion.

Top Bottom