• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Picked up the WWHD Wii U bundle and I'm enjoying it a lot. I was a bit worried about the characters looking a bit plasticky and not as perfectly cartoonish, based on some of the screenshots I've seen, but honestly, it looks every bit as beautiful as I remember it looking a decade ago.

One minor complaint is that I wish I could remove every single HUD element from the TV screen and place it on the Game Pad. I think one of the biggest benefits of the Game Pad is that it gives you the ability to completely declutter the TV screen, and as a plasma user, anything to reduce the risk of IR is appreciated. I don't understand why they felt the need to keep the hearts and rupee counter on the TV at all times.

(If there's an option to do this and I've simply overlooked it, by all means, let me know.)

Deku Tree

I traveled the fucking seas watering trees for a single piece of heart!? Get the fuck out.

That's part of the original Japanese humor of this game. For example in the original Japanese GC version of WW after braving all 50 very difficult levels of the Savage Labyrinth you got one rupee.
IIRC, or at least it was something almost as bad as that...
Supposedly the Japanese at least at that time would consider that very very funny. In the NA version of the GC game they changed it to one heart piece. And now in the NA version of WW HD they changed it again...

Revven

That's part of the original Japanese humor of this game. For example in the original Japanese GC version of WW after braving all 50 very difficult levels of the Savage Labyrinth you got one rupee.
IIRC, or at least it was something almost as bad as that...
Supposedly the Japanese at least at that time would consider that very very funny. In the NA version of the GC game they changed it to one heart piece. And now in the NA version of WW HD they changed it again...

It's actually a yellow (10) ruppee you get in the Japanese release. Also, in the US (and subsequently the HD release) under Grandma's house there's a treasure chest and it contains a orange (100) ruppee while in the Japanese release it contained a Heart Piece. They moved that HP to another location but I forget where.

And they also changed Pawprint Isle's chest to a Heart Piece rather than... I think it used to be ruppees or a treasure chart. But this change is for the HD release only.

Zelda team is very weird with regards to WW it seems lol.

It's amusing to read/watch reviews for this and still see the complaints about the supposed tediousness of sailing.

I've always loved the sailing. Honestly, WW is still the only 3D Zelda that has nailed the scale of the game world, and the sailing really helps to convey it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah some of the rewards in the game are odd.

One cave has you battling spawning monsters, including dark nuts, which can be pretty hectic and you only get an orange ruppee.

guys should I buy this game

This game is dangerous... I ended up getting the WiiU Zelda edition because the game is wicked awesome. Next thing I know I have Super Mario U, Super Luigi U, Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101, Batman Arkham City and Monster Hunter 3.

Damn you Nintendo for re-releasing this game.

This game is dangerous... I ended up getting the WiiU Zelda edition because the game is wicked awesome. Next thing I know I have Super Mario U, Super Luigi U, Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101, Batman Arkham City and Monster Hunter 3.

Damn you Nintendo for re-releasing this game.

HD remake=system seller confirmed! now imagine if they release HD remakes of the Galaxy series and Prime trilogy. =0

HD remake=system seller confirmed! now imagine if they release HD remakes of the Galaxy series and Prime trilogy. =0

I would perhaps not go that far. First off I am a huge Zelda fan that was on the fence with the WiiU. I wanted it but nothing really sold me. I waited and waited and finally a deal came along that I could not pass up. The other games were ones I wanted but not enough to tip the scales. I honestly can not heap enough praise on how well of an upgrade this game became with HD. It is bloody amazing.

Zarovitch

I hope the next Zelda will feel open like this game. They could use the grid map again for forest, desert, etc... but not too big like Skyrim. You could follow some road or pass throught the forest to reach next town or dungeon.

I hope the next Zelda will feel open like this game. They could use the grid map again for forest, desert, etc... but not too big like Skyrim. You could follow some road or pass throught the forest to reach next town or dungeon.

You know how unbelievably amazing that would be. An open elder scrolls like world would kick so much ass for a Zelda game it is not even funny.

Where do I sign up?

Dougald

I hated the open map when it was launched, but with the swift sail it's a whole different experience. The game feels like you're actually exploring, searching out clues for the next step, not just blindly following a narrow corridor. Plus by the nature of it being based on the ocean, the fact that the world map is mostly empty doesn't detract from the experience.

Zarovitch

I hated the open map when it was launched, but with the swift sail it's a whole different experience. The game feels like you're actually exploring, searching out clues for the next step, not just blindly following a narrow corridor. Plus by the nature of it being based on the ocean, the fact that the world map is mostly empty doesn't detract from the experience.

Seeing island at the horizon help a lot too. It made me explore before reaching where i must go. With an open word they could show us a tower above the forest, and on the road you found Goblin camp or cave.

D-e-f-

Banned
It's amusing to read/watch reviews for this and still see the complaints about the supposed tediousness of sailing.

I've always loved the sailing. Honestly, WW is still the only 3D Zelda that has nailed the scale of the game world, and the sailing really helps to convey it.

Sailing becomes an issue if you're supposed to review a game with deadline and the game is intended to be somewhat relaxing and not a marathon experience.

there's a lot more padding that i thought was simple exploration. i forgot how bloated the triforce quest really was.

That's why I say the game is shorter than I remember, cause I realize now just how much of it was padding. If you ignore getting extra heart containers (with how easy the bosses are you can totally do that), and some other side quests you could probably finish the game in like 10 - 15 hours.

Timeaisis

Sailing becomes an issue if you're supposed to review a game with deadline and the game is intended to be somewhat relaxing and not a marathon experience.

Ain't nothing life sailing during the sunrise. That music, man. Definitely one of the coolest game experiences.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
That's why I say the game is shorter than I remember, cause I realize now just how much of it was padding. If you ignore getting extra heart containers (with how easy the bosses are you can totally do that), and some other side quests you could probably finish the game in like 10 - 15 hours.

I really can't reconcile this, though. You say "if you ignore the extra stuff," equating heart containers, treasure maps, sidequests, etc. as padding. As if the only true Zelda Content is dungeons, and the rest is filler. Anihawk, you calling the Triforce Quest padding in the same way I feel is just really disingenuous. It paints a Zelda game as a path from dungeon to dungeon with the rest a mere distraction, when I classify a Zelda game as a healthy mix of both types of content. If you try to finish the game in 10-15 hours by skipping all side-stuff I don't honestly consider you as having even really played the game.

I really can't reconcile this, though. You say "if you ignore the extra stuff," equating heart containers, treasure maps, sidequests, etc. as padding. As if the only true Zelda Content is dungeons, and the rest is filler. Anihawk, you calling the Triforce Quest padding in the same way I feel is just really disingenuous. It paints a Zelda game as a path from dungeon to dungeon with the rest a mere distraction, when I classify a Zelda game as a healthy mix of both types of content. If you try to finish the game in 10-15 hours by skipping all side-stuff I don't honestly consider you as having even really played the game.

I consider the heart containers and a lot of the side quests as filler because of how they're handled. A LOT of them (not all) are all ok go here do this thing and get a map, now do this extra step of figuring out which island this represents and go get heart container. It's adding an extra step between doing the action and acquiring the reward that makes things long, for no real reason. It's the same thing with the triforce quest in the original (and thankfully only partially here). Though worse than the hearts because you originally had to go hunt down a treasure map, get enough rupees to unlock the map, then go get the piece of triforce. That extra step between the action and the reward is what makes it feel like padding. It starts to feel like a chore instead of something fun.

I do think it's also different when you need those heart containers. I would imagine most people can go through all of WW with out ever acquiring any more hearts than what the game gives you for finishing dungeons. I don't feel the drive in WW to explore and do the side quests like I do in other Zelda games.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I consider the heart containers and a lot of the side quests as filler because of how they're handled. A LOT of them (not all) are all ok go here do this thing and get a map, now do this extra step of figuring out which island this represents and go get heart container. It's adding an extra step between doing the action and acquiring the reward that makes things long, for no real reason. It's the same thing with the triforce quest in the original (and thankfully only partially here). Though worse than the hearts because you originally had to go hunt down a treasure map, get enough rupees to unlock the map, then go get the piece of triforce. That extra step between the action and the reward is what makes it feel like padding. It starts to feel like a chore instead of something fun.

I think if my modus operandi was "do quest, get chart, find treasure, pull up treasure" every single time, that would get pretty annoying, sure. Which is why I only seek out the treasure on the map every once in a while, typically only pulling up the ones I happen to see shooting out of the sea as I go from place to place. Basically I just go from place to place, seeing what's up there, doing whatever little quest is available, then move on to the next place. I consider a chart I get to be the reward, rather than just a step on the way to my goal, and pulling those chests up becomes a natural 20-second part of exploring more islands. Near the end of the game sure I'll go from place to place with the more directed goal of finally pulling up the rest of those treasures, but even then it's a very straightforward process.

As for the triforce quest, at least in WWHD, it takes literally less than five minutes to get your three charts translated, warp to them, and pull them up. So anyone who seriously finds a way to complain about those brief minutes I think is really reaching for things to be bothered by.

I do think it's also different when you need those heart containers. I would imagine most people can go through all of WW with out ever acquiring any more hearts than what the game gives you for finishing dungeons. I don't feel the drive in WW to explore and do the side quests like I do in other Zelda games.

That's why I liked hero mode. I'd be very happy every time I found a piece of heart, because they were functioning as my potions. I'd be traveling around at low health due to being bombarded by platform bombs, find a heart container when I pulled up a chest, and "oh boy, don't have to use my bottle now!" That they built up my max capacity was an extremely secondary bonus.

Red sail yes. Normal sail no

TentPole

I am still shocked by how weak the bosses are compared to the rest of the series. With the final 2 being the only exceptions as they are fantastic.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
guys should I buy this game

To be honest, you being you and all, I think you'll just end up hating on it.

I seem to remember you said it looked "fucking ugly" in the screenshot thread, and let's face it: it's not a dark action game like Dark Souls or hard core like Monster Hunter. Pacing is an issue, as in most modern Zelda games.

If you on the other hand -- against my shallow impression -- enjoy 3D Zeldas, or even enjoyed Wind Waker on the gamecube, it's THE best way to play it, even if you don't care for the visual upgrades. It's sped up quite a bit, and it just feels great playing it. Even Miiverse adds a lot to the experience in this game, and taking selfies with Link is hilarious (though it strikes me that you wouldn't care much for that stuff :p).

Personally, I fucking love it.

But if you really want something to play on your U, I think you should give W101 a real go instead, don't let the demo fool you. It's a fucking bliss of an action game.

/2cents

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01xeusb.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0160r4p.jpg

AniHawk

i did the extra stuff on my own and do not consider it padding. i was enjoying filling out the map, running down treasure charts, and finding rupees/heart pieces.

because of the red sail + warp point combo, i was able to get to anywhere in the game with relative ease. it was fun to explore, so i made a point to hit up pretty much every island i ran across and find whatever goodies were inside. i also tried to do all the windfall island stuff i had never done before.

in the meantime, i was completing things that were actually required to beat the game, while thinking they were fun bonuses for exploring. i forgot that you had to give the teacher 21 joy pendants in order to beat the game. i forgot that you had to find a chart in an island to find a ship to beat enemies to get a triforce shard (originally a triforce chart). i forgot that in order to beat the game, you had to beat cyclos to get the ice/fire arrows by warping to a specific part of the map. if you had your mind wiped between playthroughs like i did, it certainly feels like exploring and finding cool extras. but when you realize what you're doing was intended by the designers, it feels more like padding because you would have had to have done all that anyway.

there's a blurry line between the extra stuff in the wind waker and the mandatory stuff, and that's where a lot of my disappointment comes in. it's kind of a smokescreen, like finding out your choices don't matter whatsoever in telltale's the walking dead. it winds up hurting the sense of freedom and exploration.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
if you had your mind wiped between playthroughs like i did, it certainly feels like exploring and finding cool extras. but when you realize what you're doing was intended by the designers, it feels more like padding because you would have had to have done all that anyway.

Well this is kind of a questionable analysis. Does exploration have to be optional in order to not be padding? If you're naturally exploring in the game, which I'd argue is the "right way" to play a Zelda game, and in the process you happen to accomplish goals that turn out to be required, I'd call that a strength of the game design, not a weakness. Rather than being forced into performing tasks to progress, you performed those tasks by your own volition, because the game world compelled you to engage with them. It gives the impression that you arrived at a meaningful place due to your own intellect and intuition, not because the designers forced you down a specific path.

It falls apart if you straight-line from dungeon to dungeon and run up against a wall of little quests at the end, but since you didn't do that, it's curious to me that you felt that the mere knowledge of required actions encompassed by your natural exploration was a negative.

AniHawk

Well this is kind of a questionable analysis. Does exploration have to be optional in order to not be padding? If you're naturally exploring in the game, which I'd argue is the "right way" to play a Zelda game, and in the process you happen to accomplish goals that turn out to be required, I'd call that a strength of the game design, not a weakness. Rather than being forced into performing tasks to progress, you performed those tasks by your own volition, because the game world compelled you to engage with them. It gives the impression that you arrived at a meaningful place due to your own intellect and intuition, not because the designers forced you down a specific path.

It falls apart if you straight-line from dungeon to dungeon and run up against a wall of little quests at the end, but since you didn't do that, it's curious to me that you felt that the mere knowledge of required actions encompassed by your natural exploration was a negative.

if i am exploring, i like to think it's because of my own choice, and not because of destiny. revealing that what i had done was due to someone else's design removes that feeling of accomplishment. i don't feel this is a problem with the dungeon -> pre-dungeon -> dungeon -> pre-dungeon format because i know that i'm on a set path. to compare it with telltale's the walking dead again, there's another game that gives the illusion of choice, and it turns out it doesn't matter what you do. the story really bugs me for that reason (it's lazy game design). but a linear story like what you see in the last of us? i'm totally okay with it because it's not trying to be something other than what it is.

that's why i felt the exploration element was stronger in twilight princess. i knew what i was doing wasn't planned for me to do by nintendo. i knew i was going off the beaten path and just checking things out because hey why not. with tww, i'm not so sure.

but to get back to the original point i had, tww is a lot longer than i remembered because i only remembered the fire dungeon, the five main ones (plus forsaken fortress), and the final dungeon, in addition to the triforce hunt.

i forgot:

-you needed to sail to greatfish island for korl to tell you to sail to windfall (what the hell how does this happen nintendo)
-you needed to free tingle from prison
-you needed to defeat cyclos and travel to the mother and child isles via warp pointing there
-you had to play hide and go seek with the kids, and then get a joy pendant from a tree, and then give the teacher 20 other joy pendants to get a deed that would grant you access to a room where you would find a triforce shard (eventually)
-you had to complete a mini dungeon area in order to get a map to get to a ghost ship that only appears at certain places on the sea on certain nights
-you have to visit beedle to get a pear to get a seagull to activate switches so you can go inside a room and kill a bunch of bad guys
-there was an ice minidungeon (i always thought the ice and fire dungeons were part of the same one, but i clearly mixed that up with some other zelda, i think)

and that's really on top of all the stuff the game obviously has you doing. i can appreciate the idea that if you ever get stuck, you have to explore your way out of the problem, but it doesn't feel like zelda nes where you could honestly go everywhere out of the sake of wanting to go everywhere.

the other element i really didn't like was just how many of the triforce shard hunts broke down into fighting rooms full of enemies. either on ships, or in gauntlet settings, it gets pretty repetitive, as fun as i find the combat.

that's really the one part i took away from the end of the game. it was just that in addition to finding the triforce shards, you had to do so much that seems inconsequential. last night i broke up the hunt to about 2 before the earth temple, 4 after, and the final 2 after the wind temple. it went fairly quickly, but it was just a thing i picked up on because i thought the hunt was a lot shorter than it really was.

on the positive side, i still really love the wind temple. it's got a great atmosphere (and beautiful, if a bit repetitive, music). it's one of my favorite 3d zelda dungeons. for me i think the dungeons go wind temple > earth temple > tower of the gods > forbidden woods > dragon roost cavern > forsaken fortress (i've forgotten how the final dungeon goes, actually, so i'm looking forward to replaying that tonight).

AniHawk

spoilers below, just a friendly warning.

after 30 hours and 20 minutes, i've finished the wind waker a third time. i rarely replay games once, and it's even more special that i'll replay something a second time. so far that honor goes to beyond good & evil, ocarina of time, and link's awakening.

first off, that ending leaves you with a great feeling. it's hopeful without being overtly happy. and i like that it's not a fully happy ending- hyrule is destroyed and daphnes drowns with it. but you get the idea that things are going to be all right.

that's one thing i appreciated this time around. i could enjoy the story from a different angle. in 2003, i was a kid aching for the next ocarina of time. i viewed everything in tww through the context of that game: the travel, the dungeons, the enemy design, and especially the story and characters. so i looked at link as the reincarnation of the hero of time, and we were on a mission to restore hyrule. it seems that it was nintendo's intention to leave behind the zelda of old when they buried hyrule too, but when twilight princess became the game we know, all that changed.

anyway, this time i viewed link as the game sets him up. it talks about boys who don the green garb, take up a sword, and set out to fight evil, and link isn't one of them. they play at being hero, while link doesn't really want anything to do with it. he puts on the hero of time outfit kinda unwillingly (because it's the future and it looks silly). he gets sorta swept up in this adventure that's bigger than him, and only in the end through all his trials the gods say, hey this kid is all right- take the triforce of courage, you earned it. and through that lens i saw the world in a different way. this was especially true at the end. i remember playing for the first time, excited to be back in old hyrule. this time it was eerie, like walking through a ghost town.

i also picked up more on tetra's character development and why she is who she is, and the same for medli as well (poor medli).

so all those story bits were great, and i'm glad i replayed the game if only to pick up on those.

i've said it before, but the sailing. oh god, the sailing. it's so much better now. i really felt like i could explore the world with ease, and so i did. this time, i visited every single island i ran across, just out of curiosity. i also took up exploring more secrets around windfall and the world at large than ever before. the triforce hunt was fortunately much much more manageable. being able to control certain items with motion controls was fantastic, and something i used a lot. i'm still impressed with the wind temple too. love the music and the hookshot/iron boots/leaf/makar stuff. body swapping could have been an item though, especially when it happens in 50-60% of the main dungeons.

it's also a very pretty game, even with the weird lighting sometimes making link and other characters clay-animated. the sky is really gorgeous and most of the time i still felt like i was controlling a cartoon.

i didn't remember the padding outside of the triforce hunt, or even some of it pertaining to the hunt itself. lots of unnecessary steps, or rushed moments (the queen fairy gives you the fire/ice bow, there are two mini dungeons that give you two very big items, and the final dungeon is extremely short and way too okami-ish for my liking). it's also a game that takes a while before it starts off. i mean, dragon roost island really is where things get cooking, and by then you're at least an hour in if you're rushing things.

i'll also say on the presentation side, i'm still annoyed how the sound effects and music negatively impact the ending. it's way, way, way too cartoony in a lot of places (like when ganondorf says your gods abandoned you, or when he knocks the fuck out of link, or the reveal of daphnes at the very end next to the triforce). twilight princess is when they really jazzed things up a bit in the cutscene direction department. it's a minor complaint, but it's always bugged me, and i wish they improved it somehow.

considering everything, i still think this is the worst of the 3d zeldas, but its status has been elevated for me. this is a very good remake, and easily superior to the gamecube version in many ways. i'm glad they went back to this, and i can only hope they give twilight princess the same (or better) treatment, except that's a game that has far fewer noticeable flaws, so i don't know what they would do to improve the experience across the board like they did with tww.

I think if my modus operandi was "do quest, get chart, find treasure, pull up treasure" every single time, that would get pretty annoying, sure. Which is why I only seek out the treasure on the map every once in a while, typically only pulling up the ones I happen to see shooting out of the sea as I go from place to place. Basically I just go from place to place, seeing what's up there, doing whatever little quest is available, then move on to the next place. I consider a chart I get to be the reward, rather than just a step on the way to my goal, and pulling those chests up becomes a natural 20-second part of exploring more islands. Near the end of the game sure I'll go from place to place with the more directed goal of finally pulling up the rest of those treasures, but even then it's a very straightforward process.

As for the triforce quest, at least in WWHD, it takes literally less than five minutes to get your three charts translated, warp to them, and pull them up. So anyone who seriously finds a way to complain about those brief minutes I think is really reaching for things to be bothered by.

That's why I liked hero mode. I'd be very happy every time I found a piece of heart, because they were functioning as my potions. I'd be traveling around at low health due to being bombarded by platform bombs, find a heart container when I pulled up a chest, and "oh boy, don't have to use my bottle now!" That they built up my max capacity was an extremely secondary bonus.

I think Anihawk touched on this already, and I would agree with him mostly. With games like TP, OoT, or SS even, a lot of the exploration just seemed to happen. Not in a forced way but a more natural flow. In WW some of it feels forced, and pushed on the player, which makes it feel like filler. Yes though you are absolutely right, and I kind of touched on it in my last post, the Triforce hunt here is WAY better than it was in the original.

I think the issue here is the sailing. It's just a tough thing to balance. The distance between islands and places is so damn vast, and I get that they were going for scale. It just causes issues, if you use the original sail it just takes for ever to get anywhere, and you don't always see islands in the distance. There are easily paths you can just take with out realizing it that lead to long periods of nothing but water, or enemies. The fast sail, and riding the cyclones improve this, but have their own negative reactions. Now you can get to the main story point islands so fast, it's super easy to skip anything else. You can also get both of these pretty quickly. Which leads back into the bosses are so easy, I don't feel the need to go exploring to find heart containers. I get it hero mode improves this, but some kind of balance should have been in the main game.

I will absolutely agree and say that WW has some AMAZING characters and story moments. This version of Ganondorf is simply brilliant.

*edit*

I'm also going to sort of agree with Anihawk on WW's ranking among the 3D Zelda games. Though I do think it sits above it's sequels, which interestingly enough each suffer from one big flaw that holds them back as well.

Personally if I was going to rank the 3D Zelda games for me it would go like this, from best to worst

Skyward Sword
Twilight Princess/Ocarina of Time Remake
Ocarina of Time original
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Spirit Tracks
Phantom Hourglass

Deku Tree

I just completed the Nintendo Gallery on my first play-through. Note that they do not give you the link figurine until you beat the game. I missed a few photos that are missable, and I wouldn't have been able to complete it without Tingle Bottle photos. Thanks generous Wind Waker gamers! Note that I also completed the Nintendo Gallery on the GC version way back then when you could only do three photos at a time and the photos didn't get a "good" stamp on them so you had to take your chances... not sure why, but I found this quest to be very satisfying.

I have done everything except for defeating Ganon. I have been playing 100% of the time on Hero Mode. I collected all possible equipment. I have 14 hearts.

I defeated all 50 levels of the savage labyrinth on my third try... I went down to level 30 without the proper equipment to go further the first time. Then the second time I died on level 49 after using the magic armor and running my rupees down to zero.

I think that I will defeat Ganon and then I am going to call this a virtual 100% game. I will copy my current save so I have the possibility of coming back to beat the rest of the side stuff later on... WW is as fun as I always remember it. In terms of pure "fun factor" I rate WW as my personal favorite 3D Zelda.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I just completed the Nintendo Gallery on my first play-through. Note that they do not give you the link figurine until you beat the game.

Nah, I got it before I beat the game. You just gotta leave and change the day again to get it to happen.

I defeated all 50 levels of the savage labyrinth on my third try... I went down to level 30 without the proper equipment to go further the first time. Then the second time I died on level 49 after using the magic armor and running my rupees down to zero.

I remember the labrynth being so hard, but this time I powered through it on hero mode even and only had to use a single potion, and only cause I was gettin sloppy later on after realizing it wasn't really giving me any challenge.

One thing I've always loved doing is one-shotting the huge butterflies with fire arrows ehehehe.

Deku Tree

I remember the labrynth being so hard, but this time I powered through it on hero mode even and only had to use a single potion, and only cause I was gettin sloppy later on after realizing it wasn't really giving me any challenge.

One thing I've always loved doing is one-shotting the huge butterflies with fire arrows ehehehe.

The reason why I died on level 49 that one time was because I only had 30 arrows and I wasn't trying to save them, so I ran out somewhere between level 30 and level 40. Then when I got to the series of levels with a lot of flying wizzrobe's I got totally destroyed because I had no good way to defeat them quickly while they were floating high above me shooting fireballs.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
i forgot:

-you needed to sail to greatfish island for korl to tell you to sail to windfall (what the hell how does this happen nintendo)
-you needed to free tingle from prison
-you needed to defeat cyclos and travel to the mother and child isles via warp pointing there
-you had to play hide and go seek with the kids, and then get a joy pendant from a tree, and then give the teacher 20 other joy pendants to get a deed that would grant you access to a room where you would find a triforce shard (eventually)
While you do have to play hide-n-seek for the cabana subquest, you can freely skip the pendant-on-a-tree part if you already have the required amount of joy pendants in your spoils bag. The game makes you do arbitrary things* but is not that arbitrary ; )

* Frankly, part of the reason I did not feel much like returning to it back in 2004 when my first playthrough got interrupted.

I just completed the Nintendo Gallery on my first play-through. Note that they do not give you the link figurine until you beat the game. I missed a few photos that are missable, and I wouldn't have been able to complete it without Tingle Bottle photos. Thanks generous Wind Waker gamers! Note that I also completed the Nintendo Gallery on the GC version way back then when you could only do three photos at a time and the photos didn't get a "good" stamp on them so you had to take your chances... not sure why, but I found this quest to be very satisfying.

I have done everything except for defeating Ganon. I have been playing 100% of the time on Hero Mode. I collected all possible equipment. I have 14 hearts.

I think that I will defeat Ganon and then I am going to call this a virtual 100% game. I will copy my current save so I have the possibility of coming back to beat the rest of the side stuff later on... WW is as fun as I always remember it. In terms of pure "fun factor" I rate WW as my personal favorite 3D Zelda.

Congrats!

Nyoro SF

I'm glad to see people finishing up.

I also 100% the game. The hardest parts of it was fighting Ganon on Hero Mode, that god damn block puzzle in that one island, and that shifting block puzzle in the Cabana that even a decade later I have no hope of completing.

I am really bad at sliding panel jigsaw puzzles.

I 100%'d this game for the first time in my life (including the Nintendo Gallery), and fully expect to do it in Hero Mode at some point next year.

While it's still my favorite Zelda game, I finally see what everyone meant by how empty the world is. I do not mind the sailing at all, or the smallness of the islands. But there really isn't enough of a population in the world to make it feel very alive. I would have liked a couple of other littler towns scattered throughout.

And the bosses are probably the worst bosses in the history of Zelda games. They are so bad, hahaha.

Tookay

spoilers below, just a friendly warning.

after 30 hours and 20 minutes, i've finished the wind waker a third time. i rarely replay games once, and it's even more special that i'll replay something a second time. so far that honor goes to beyond good & evil, ocarina of time, and link's awakening.

first off, that ending leaves you with a great feeling. it's hopeful without being overtly happy. and i like that it's not a fully happy ending- hyrule is destroyed and daphnes drowns with it. but you get the idea that things are going to be all right.

that's one thing i appreciated this time around. i could enjoy the story from a different angle. in 2003, i was a kid aching for the next ocarina of time. i viewed everything in tww through the context of that game: the travel, the dungeons, the enemy design, and especially the story and characters. so i looked at link as the reincarnation of the hero of time, and we were on a mission to restore hyrule. it seems that it was nintendo's intention to leave behind the zelda of old when they buried hyrule too, but when twilight princess became the game we know, all that changed.

anyway, this time i viewed link as the game sets him up. it talks about boys who don the green garb, take up a sword, and set out to fight evil, and link isn't one of them. they play at being hero, while link doesn't really want anything to do with it. he puts on the hero of time outfit kinda unwillingly (because it's the future and it looks silly). he gets sorta swept up in this adventure that's bigger than him, and only in the end through all his trials the gods say, hey this kid is all right- take the triforce of courage, you earned it. and through that lens i saw the world in a different way. this was especially true at the end. i remember playing for the first time, excited to be back in old hyrule. this time it was eerie, like walking through a ghost town.

i also picked up more on tetra's character development and why she is who she is, and the same for medli as well (poor medli).

so all those story bits were great, and i'm glad i replayed the game if only to pick up on those.

i've said it before, but the sailing. oh god, the sailing. it's so much better now. i really felt like i could explore the world with ease, and so i did. this time, i visited every single island i ran across, just out of curiosity. i also took up exploring more secrets around windfall and the world at large than ever before. the triforce hunt was fortunately much much more manageable. being able to control certain items with motion controls was fantastic, and something i used a lot. i'm still impressed with the wind temple too. love the music and the hookshot/iron boots/leaf/makar stuff. body swapping could have been an item though, especially when it happens in 50-60% of the main dungeons.

it's also a very pretty game, even with the weird lighting sometimes making link and other characters clay-animated. the sky is really gorgeous and most of the time i still felt like i was controlling a cartoon.

i didn't remember the padding outside of the triforce hunt, or even some of it pertaining to the hunt itself. lots of unnecessary steps, or rushed moments (the queen fairy gives you the fire/ice bow, there are two mini dungeons that give you two very big items, and the final dungeon is extremely short and way too okami-ish for my liking). it's also a game that takes a while before it starts off. i mean, dragon roost island really is where things get cooking, and by then you're at least an hour in if you're rushing things.

i'll also say on the presentation side, i'm still annoyed how the sound effects and music negatively impact the ending. it's way, way, way too cartoony in a lot of places (like when ganondorf says your gods abandoned you, or when he knocks the fuck out of link, or the reveal of daphnes at the very end next to the triforce). twilight princess is when they really jazzed things up a bit in the cutscene direction department. it's a minor complaint, but it's always bugged me, and i wish they improved it somehow.

considering everything, i still think this is the worst of the 3d zeldas, but its status has been elevated for me. this is a very good remake, and easily superior to the gamecube version in many ways. i'm glad they went back to this, and i can only hope they give twilight princess the same (or better) treatment, except that's a game that has far fewer noticeable flaws, so i don't know what they would do to improve the experience across the board like they did with tww.

Good analysis. Pretty much agree with everything you said, even the more nitpicky stuff (some of the music/instrumentation choices in the finale have bothered me for a decade and clash tonally with what's occurring onscreen).

It's definitely the weakest 3D Zelda for me as well. Midway through playing it, I thought my opinion on that was going to change because I was really digging it, but then I got into the final third of the game and reconfirmed my opinions. The Wind and Earth temples are good, but damn is everything around them and after them rushed. The iron boots, power bracelets, fire/ice arrows, Triforce hunt (and all those enemy arena parts of it), and Ganon's Tower still feel half-baked. I'd go as far as to say that they almost leave the game on a sour note, if it wasn't for the ending battles/cutscenes being fantastic in capturing the promise of the first half of the game.

I'm happy they went revisited this and improved it, but I'm way more interested in them giving TP a facelift. They could also improve the opening a little bit and trim the wolf stuff in a couple places.

Top Bottom