• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Luigi87

I just had my first death on Hero Mode during the final boss fight...
Zelda shot me with an arrow when Ganondorf leaped out of the way -_-

Mecca

Also being able to mark off submarines and platforms you've already visited. I basically went from one corner of the map and made my way zigzagging to the top taking on each platform so I knew I had visited them all once whereas I should have really tackled each one as I came across them the first time.

Alternatively, they could have automatically marked your map for you like they did for the triforce pieces. The game gives you a submarine/platform map that is kind of useless if you can't mark where you've been.

Alternatively, they could have automatically marked your map for you like they did for the triforce pieces. The game gives you a submarine/platform map that is kind of useless if you can't mark where you've been.
Same goes for the Sea Hearts and Island Hearts charts. When you're down to the last 2 or so Pieces of Heart, no one wants to check every island to see which they're missed.

Just placed my order for this on Amazon. Haven't played anything on my Wii U yet besides a couple hours of Zombie U and Nintendo Land. Also, I've never even gotten past the first dungeon in this game.

I am freaking PUMPED.

L~A

I got a question about the Nintendo Galery. I noticed I had already missed some figurines, but is there a place where I could get the pictures for the rare/missable pics? Like a website with a listing of pics and a link to Miiverse (would that work on the Wii U web browser?).

If not, I'm not gonna bother with the Nintendo Gallery again. Don't feel like I'm missing much anyway :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I got a question about the Nintendo Galery. I noticed I had already missed some figurines, but is there a place where I could get the pictures for the rare/missable pics? Like a website with a listing of pics and a link to Miiverse (would that work on the Wii U web browser?).

If not, I'm not gonna bother with the Nintendo Gallery again. Don't feel like I'm missing much anyway :)
One of the easiest trophies to miss
is the midboss in the Wind Temple since you only ever encounter it once.

The four main bosses have a second opportunity in Ganon's Tower.

Finally,
your gallery carries over on the second quest so you have a second chance if you ever decide to replay it.

But I suppose for now you'd have to just get lucky with the images people share at the time you're playing. Bottles seems to spawn more commonly on the islands they are associated with so if you hang around the location of said photo opportunities your luck of finding one may increase.

Effect

I believe I have two more
triforce pieces
to collect. Hopefully I can finish that up tonight and then start running through the ending areas and beat the game quickly.

Overall the game has been enjoyable. This will be the first time I will have beaten the game. When I first played the game I believe I got up to the
Tower of the Gods
and finished the following area after that. Then stopped. I'm not sure exactly why. I'm thinking it was a combination of not knowing what to do next, the slowness of the sailing (swift sail has certainly made this better), college, and possibly being pulled away by another game.

While enjoyable it's far from ever becoming a top favorite of mine. Perhaps because I didn't play it fully when I was younger it is making it hard for me to see why this game is so loved by those that do love it.

L~A

One of the easiest trophies to miss
is the midboss in the Wind Temple since you only ever encounter it once.

The four main bosses have a second opportunity in Ganon's Tower.

Finally,
your gallery carries over on the second quest so you have a second chance if you ever decide to replay it.

But I suppose for now you'd have to just get lucky with the images people share at the time you're playing. Bottles seems to spawn more commonly on the islands they are associated with so if you hang around the location of said photo opportunities your luck of finding one may increase.

Guess I'll have to do just that, then. I think I'm missing the Rito during your first visit to Dragon Island. I really wanted to avoid a second playthrough in order to complete the gallery. Oh well.

spookyfish

I have a stylus and I have a map. Why for the love of everything can I not take notes in this game. Come on Nintendo!

This. Still frustrates me -- although I realize it wasn't in the original game.

"Just travel up one square and three squares west to get what you need!"

>Turns off game<

Wait -- what did he say?!?

>Turns off game<

well, he(it?) does tell you that you can ask him again anytime you want.
for some additional food, that is

Timeaisis

well, he(it?) does tell you that you can ask him again anytime you want.
for some additional food, that is

You can actually tap the corresponding fish icon on the map to read their comments again. So you don't actually have to feed him again. I'm not sure why this isn't explained, but it's very helpful during the
triforce hunt

sphinx

the piano man
in preparation for the WiiU Mario+Luigi bundle I'll buy here in Germany come Novmeber 8th, I looked around in a department store and came across 2 limited editions of this game that I hadn't seen anywhere else (and I do my rounds across the different stores.)

I stared some seconds at them.....brought them to the counter and I bought them both...

20131028_195125_zps87ca7b65.jpg

one is for me to play and keep and the other one to sell later on,

You guys think it will turn rare? I just thought that if I wait long enough, like until the next original zelda releases in November 2015/16 and New/sealed copies of this game have turned rare, that I could make a decent profit in amazon or Ebay.

the 65 euro price tag seemed like a solid deal for a limited edition game in a series with the caliber of Zelda, even if it's a port. Worst case I get back what I paid.

Effect

Just beat the game. Better late then never. Was starting to get a little down on the game before the ending area as my other post suggest. Though once that was finally out of the way and I started the final part of the game things picked back up.

The ending section was really fun. However I wish there was more of an epilogue but I guess that's really what Phantom Hourglass in a way. I feel like I have to buy that now because I would like to spend more time with this Link, Tetra, etc. I already have Spirit Tracks but that's a different Link from this one even though it's same world/timeline. I still don't think this would get in my top five of favorite Zelda games but this is perhaps one of my favorite Link's though due to how expressive he is. In fact I really liked a good deal of the characters. Just wish the world they were in was different. Less water, more ground to run around on but with this art style, etc.

This game has made me like and enjoy the Bazaar in Skyward Sword. I never felt I had to buy anything in Wind Waker and Windfall Island outside of a few visits ended up being something I didn't have to bother with. Towns in other Zelda games gave more reason to visit them. Though I guess this might change if I run through the game on hero mode.

Zing

Banned

>Turns off game<

I still have all my notes from the GameCube version. Is this remake going to make people even more lazy?

I can't believe how fast they made the crane now. It's goofy. It makes it seem as though the ocean is a few feet deep, kind of ruining the experience. Before it was always exciting. Think about how deep you go during the underwater part. The crane couldn't pull treasure up that fast through water. The swift sail also feels like an odd addition. It isn't necessary to go that fast, or have the wind change automatically. Making the grappling hook and the wind changing animation a little faster is fine, but I wonder if they took the great feeling of sailing and made it an annoyance instead of an experience.

Nyoro SF

I still have all my notes from the GameCube version. Is this remake going to make people even more lazy?

To be honest I can't believe they didn't put a memo function on the GamePad to prevent hand and paper notes from piling up, but whatever. :p

Anyways any change for efficiency can be pigeonholed as lazy, so it's kind of worthless thing to say. If I can use an item now without going to a menu, is that lazy-enabling or efficient? If I can view a map without pausing, is that lazy, or efficient?

I can't believe how fast they made the crane now. It's goofy. It makes it seem as though the ocean is a few feet deep, kind of ruining the experience. Before it was always exciting. Think about how deep you go during the underwater part. The crane couldn't pull treasure up that fast through water.

I agree that at times it's slightly too fast which feels odd. But blame the developers for putting so much stuff on the ocean floor. After a while it just gets mind numbing watching a 30-second cutscene for a purple rupee. If it's a trade between immersion and just getting an item, I'll take this trade for now.

The swift sail also feels like an odd addition. It isn't necessary to go that fast, or have the wind change automatically. Making the grappling hook and the wind changing animation a little faster is fine, but I wonder if they took the great feeling of sailing and made it an annoyance instead of an experience.

Oh it is absolutely necessary addition for game enjoyability. I think they should've made the Swift Sail more narrative based instead of randomly picking it up in auction (I mean, there's no explanation, even mythical, for why wind changes to your back automatically).

The Swift Sail made exploring more fun and less tedious for pretty much every portion of the game though. I was able to 100% TWWHD with much more enjoyment because I was able to poke into every nook and cranny with my ultra fast sail.

Even doing annoying stuff like the Eyed Reefs was better because I didn't have to change wind all the time to move around inside them.

Zing

Banned
The framerate drops with anything bomb related on the sea is embarrassing.
I agree. At first I thought it was just a fluke, but it seems to be consistent. As soon as a bomb is launched, the framerate dips.

I also agree that the game should have a way to write notes. I actually enjoy drawing my own maps and making notes. I just don't want it all automatic.

I just watched that review mentioned above and it is spot on. Some of the changes were unnecessary for me, but maybe kids these days need them to compete against other "one and done" games. Wind Waker was more of an experience for me. I enjoyed slowly sailing around, finding a chest that took eight seconds to bring to the surface (only to find a red gem), making notes of where I had been. The main complaint I had in the original is that money was virtually useless. It doesn't appear they fixed this. In fact, isn't it worse now that you don't have to translate as many charts?

Nyoro SF

I agree. At first I thought it was just a fluke, but it seems to be consistent. As soon as a bomb is launched, the framerate dips.

When I pulled into Forsaken Fortress for the second time and the cannons started firing at me, my game slowed to under 10fps.

I was completely baffled. I mean, bombs and their explosions are not complex models by any means.

Gonff

Banned
I thought it was already noted that framerate dips in some areas are deliberate?

Or are the bombs not part of that equation? I noticed framerate dips with bombs too, but only when there are a lot (like going into a reef and being blasted to hell).

Also, does anyone else notice how freakin loud the Wii U gets while playing this?

effzee

Just finished Pikmin 3 last night so now its time for Zelda!

Just created a file and the opening sequence with the music kicking in got me pumped.

Love all Zelda games! Can't wait to dig into it. I almost forgot most of this game. Played it through once back when it came out.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I started playing this a few days ago and I'm loving the hell out of it, but I wish Hero Mode was handled a little differently. Like, still have heart drops, but make them far less frequent. Or if you're going to make me rely on fairies and potions, do like Twilight Princess and give me a way to warp out of a dungeon, grab supplies, and warp back to where I left the dungeon.

Edit : Another major gripe: the start menus suck baddddd if you're not using the Gamepad.

I started playing this a few days ago and I'm loving the hell out of it, but I wish Hero Mode was handled a little differently. Like, still have heart drops, but make them far less frequent. Or if you're going to make me rely on fairies and potions, do like Twilight Princess and give me a way to warp out of a dungeon, grab supplies, and warp back to where I left the dungeon.

Edit : Another major gripe: the start menus suck baddddd if you're not using the Gamepad.
They do have warps in the dungeon though and I found them to be well placed. Of course the TP way is certainly more convenient :).

Xun

I haven't got it yet, but the framerate dips probably are intentional.

They were in the original I believe.

Levyne

Banned

Nah, some clear performance hits unrelated to the intentional slowdown effects. The first bigs ones I remember noticing were at the Gohma fight.

I often cite this as my all time favourite game so I feel I should probably add my admiration in this thread.

As many people have already said there's something very timeless, not only about this game's graphics but also it's gameplay and fantastically realised atmosphere. I'm sure there's some psychological reason thanks to the sea always been present, but this world feels huge, and widely inhabited, in a way in no other Zelda had (or perhaps has even now).

Anyway, all of that is to say this remake has pretty much brightened my whole year. I grinned from ear to ear when I first set out and the ocean theme kicked in, and every time Link gives one of his range of expressions I laugh at his dopey-ness. The graphics look gorgeous, though I do agree with some that the lighting is a bit wonky at times, particularly when opening chests. But equally I kinda like that almost clay model look everyone has when near lighting sources.

Also, this game is a fantastic pack-in for the Wii U, primarily from a features perspective. The lack of splash screens at the start, the ability to quick change items and check maps, the off screen play, the Tingle bottles. All little things that sound kinda lame and unnecessary at first have massively enhanced my time. And I love the tiny add ons they made to the items, like the shadow beneath you when you use the Deku Leaf or the shortening of the grapple animation. These tiny changes genuinely give me hope that Nintendo is constantly learning and actually does listen to feedback even if most of the time they seem to have their fingers in their ears.

So, yeah, my initial fears that going back to this game would sour me were totally unfounded. I finally got to feel 12 again. Only with less angst.

Porcile

Finished it today for the fourth time. The whole end sequence is basically perfect. There's some very elegant storytelling which is some of the best in videogames period. Much more weighty and climactic than Twilight Princess if you ask me.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up the bundle today!! Posting this from my pad and WW is installing. so hype
Niiiice. Keep posting in this thread as you play. I want someone to talk about this game with, and most everyone else has moved on, haha.

Niiiice. Keep posting in this thread as you play. I want someone to talk about this game with, and most everyone else has moved on, haha.

I just picked this game up a couple days ago and I am already further than I ever got on the Gamecube version (actually beat the first temple, haha). I am having an absolute blast with it so far!

I'll for sure be posting in here the next couple weeks

Clockwork5

Haven't had a lot of time to play yet, but so far (about halfway through the first dungeon) i am having a blast. the game looks great and plays well. I will admit, i have the coordination of a 3 toed sloth with the gamepad but i am sure ill get used to it (right analogue stick above the face buttons is quite awkward for me, ive found) But so far so good, the hour or so i spent with it has only increased my excitement to replay this gem.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
968 hits on Orca! Damnit..
I never bothered with the 999 hits back in the day. Far too impatient I guess.

When I finally got round to doing on my most recent playthrough I was basically only using A prompts in the middle of the room from around 850 onwards. I was not risking one hit.

When I pulled into Forsaken Fortress for the second time and the cannons started firing at me, my game slowed to under 10fps.

I was completely baffled. I mean, bombs and their explosions are not complex models by any means.
It's due to how intensive the overdraw becomes. Still for a game released in 2002/3 one would expect the Wii U to not have much problems with it. Still it happens in certain situations so it's manageable.
I thought it was already noted that framerate dips in some areas are deliberate?

Or are the bombs not part of that equation? I noticed framerate dips with bombs too, but only when there are a lot (like going into a reef and being blasted to hell).
There are no intentional dips in this game. What people often confuse with a lower frame rate is the hit pause (samurai style) when the sword contacts an enemy. That's the deliberate effect and not a frame dip.

What's the name of the spiky enemy that sticks to Link? Well in the forest temple if many of those get on screen at a time the frame rate decreases.

NO XD
jlm5EIBmP7LZT.jpg

"Goddamnit, Link..."
Sweet cap.

Sanic

One thing I forgot is how abrupt the whole thing sorta feels. This is partly my fault in that i've basically ignored world exploration/sidequests, but I just finished the
Earth
temple and realized that i'm almost done with the game. Compared to other games in the series (say, TP) there's a distinct lack of dialogue and "flavor" that really flesh out the experience.

There's also this sort of duality with having this endless ocean, yet 95% of it's population resides on two small islands. Of course there's usually just one population center in other games in the series as well, but they don't constantly present you with a huge, open world.

Neff

This is the most beautiful game I've ever played. Holy shit.
Bought it today, played it in 2004 for the last time. Unbelievable, simply amazing.

The additions the Wii U version offers, both visual and practical, improve the game significantly.

I don't ever want to go back.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So, done almost everything I can do except for the actual last two dungeons.

So far, the only gripe I have about this remake is that you can't make notations on charts. I think that would've been SUPER helpful to be able to tick off pirate towers/submarines etc.

But yeah, absolutely loving it.

ghibli99

I've been playing this off and on for the past few weeks, and am really enjoying it. The changes are great and improve the pace and natural feel of the game tremendously. I'm doing everything this time (didn't back in GC days), and have 16 heart containers with several dungeons and big quests to go. Just a lovely game all around, and it is extremely relaxing to play after a stressful day at work.

First time I've played this game, and oh my what an incredible game it is. I am in the middle of the
Temple of the Gods
(Early to mid game temple I'm guessing) and it is absolutely blowing me away. Beautiful and so damn fun

RedSwirl

I checked this out at a kiosk at GameStop and Good God. I don't think I've ever had this "I want to buy this game" effect from an update of a game I've already beaten before.

Maybe it's because this was the first time I ever picked up Wind Waker since originally finishing it 10 years ago, but the world feels every bit as fresh and inviting as it did when I first played it in 2003. The graphics really haven't aged a bit. A 1080p touch-up was pretty much all it needed. Even some of the gameplay systems feel kind of fresh, simply because I haven't touched this game in years and there are very few other games like it.

Man. If I was getting a Wii U this holiday...

Mr-Joker

Banned
I love playing this game but every time I play it I am always left disappointed by the fact we will never see the full finished version of Windwaker. :(

Top Bottom