• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
God, I love how hard Hero Mode is. When Zelda introduced attacks that only did 1/4 heart of damage I died a little inside.

Also, being able to move while aiming the bow in first person is an absolute must for all future 3D Zeldas.

I'm missing three full hearts. I got every treasure chest. Where could all those pieces be...? I really wish the ones I got already were crossed off on my map...

leroidys

I'm still hoping for a sequel/ prequel to Wind Waker which takes place before the world (Hyrule) was entirely flooded.

As much as I love the sea setting, I really, really want a "traditional" overworld/hyrule with Wind Waker's style and soul.

As the storyline stands though, It seems there's almost no chance of that happening :(

ghibli99

Just finished this tonight with all 20 heart containers. Loooong game, but I enjoyed a good 99% of it. Better than I remember on the GC, probably because they made so many subtle, effective changes to it. The ending is short, but quite effective, especially with that music. Gave me chills!

I think I might replay Minish Cap next before ALBW releases.

I thought I would never use off-tv play to play this game, but I have been doing it a lot more lately. Wearing headphones,having the gryroscope on and walking around in first person view is a lot of fun late at night. There is this weird VR feeling I get from it that really helps take me into the world.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just beat that first cavern/dungeon with the winged people. Game's pretty good so far, but man, I really don't wanna do any sea or town exploration. I just want to do dungeons and fight the respective boss for each one. Is there a lot of non-dungeon stuff in the game?

Deku Tree

Just beat that first cavern/dungeon with the winged people. Game's pretty good so far, but man, I really don't wanna do any sea or town exploration. I just want to do dungeons and fight the respective boss for each one. Is there a lot of non-dungeon stuff in the game?

Yes

balohna

Just got this recently.

A few thoughts:
  • It actually bugs me a little bit how inconsistent the graphical style can be at times. It was less noticable on GC I think because you didn't have super-sharp textures next to other things that are toon shaded, next to yet other things that have shitty low res textures.
  • I'm playing Hero Mode because I always thought the original was a little bit too easy, but having no healing items other than potions is annoying. It's less that it makes the game hard, and more that it makes you pissed off every time you take damage and care more about enemies getting bullshit hits in due to weird collision detection or whatever. I feel like 2x damage from enemies but without removing hearts would be perfect. I also feel like I'll never die in another dungeon as many times as I did in Dragon Roost, because I had only 3 hearts and no option to purchase potions from anywhere at all.
  • The gamepad controller is nice and having a second screen adds a lot to the game, especially having your map ready to go at all times.
  • I find the controls are a bit touchier than the GC version, but it could just be that the analog stick on the Wii U is more sensitive. And not notched. It's not really that bad, but I find myself having trouble getting in the right position to read signs. For example. It just doesn't feel quite as buttery smooth as the original, which I had always said was pretty much perfect in terms of controls.
  • Despite my first point, I still think the game overall looks really nice. Especially certain moments you can tell they put a bit more effort into. It just takes me out of it sometimes when the "this is a cartoon" illusion is broken by an out-of-place texture.
  • The writing is better than I remember. I recall being blown away by how much more personality WW had over other Zeldas at the time, but they really haven't even matched it since IMO. So many likable characters, a very interesting and compelling turn of events, fascinating lore that consists of a bit more than the typical Zelda story, etc. Just fantastic all around.

FSLink

Banned
Just got this recently.

A few thoughts:
  • I'm playing Hero Mode because I always thought the original was a little bit too easy, but having no healing items other than potions is annoying. It's less that it makes the game hard, and more that it makes you pissed off every time you take damage and care more about enemies getting bullshit hits in due to weird collision detection or whatever. I feel like 2x damage from enemies but without removing hearts would be perfect. I also feel like I'll never die in another dungeon as many times as I did in Dragon Roost, because I had only 3 hearts and no option to purchase potions from anywhere at all.

You could buy them from rats in the dungeon iirc.

D-e-f-

Banned
You could buy them from rats in the dungeon iirc.

Yes, the game even tells you lol.

There's no excuse not to know that.

1cu8e.jpg

->
4tude.jpg

You get told about this right when you pass such rat hole.

This is why hand holding and intrusive dialog exists. People ignore EVERYTHING.

Anteo

How do you get bait inside the dugeon anyways? I got some by chance because I bought some from the store guy before going into the dungeon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Talking of bait I realised there is one thing I've never done in this game:

Get the gold membership from Beedle.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You get told about this right when you pass such rat hole.

This is why hand holding and intrusive dialog exists. People ignore EVERYTHING.

You gotta stop peddling this dude. I did exactly this, I gave bait like five times in a row to the fucking rats in the Forsaken Fortress, they would only sell me bait and pears. If I hadn't learned on the internet that potions were somehow involved in all this, I would have been solidly taught by the game right then and there that the treasure from the rats is just bait and pears, and never tried again.

Only after the forsaken fortress, in dragon roost (which your pictures there are from), did I finally find a rat that sold me a potion. By then, the Forsaken Fortress had conditioned me to not be interested in what the rats have to give me. It's not the obvious and foolproof potion machine you are making it out to be.

Draconian

This is an interesting opinion. This is only the second Zelda game I've played (OoT was the other), and I like the dungeons well enough, but I think the exploration aspects are the best parts of these games.

D-e-f-

Banned
You gotta stop peddling this dude. I did exactly this, I gave bait like five times in a row to the fucking rats in the Forsaken Fortress, they would only sell me bait and pears. If I hadn't learned on the internet that potions were somehow involved in all this, I would have been solidly taught by the game right then and there that the treasure from the rats is just bait and pears, and never tried again.

Only after the forsaken fortress, in dragon roost (which your pictures there are from), did I finally find a rat that sold me a potion. By then, the Forsaken Fortress had conditioned me to not be interested in what the rats have to give me. It's not the obvious and foolproof potion machine you are making it out to be.

You don't even possess a bottle to put the red potion into while you're in the Forsaken Fortress! How are they supposed to sell you potions when you cannot store them anywhere? Why do you need potions in Forsaken Fortress anyway? That's a stealth dungeon without any combat aside from one enemy.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Finished my Hero Mode play though. Difficulty was spot on! Really hope future Zelda's offer a level of difficulty comparable to this from the get go. Only got like 14 hearts so still lots to do. Such a wonderful experience. I'd happily play another Zelda with a similar art style.

Hey quick Q. What so you get for beating Hero mode as far as a second play through is concerned?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You don't even possess a bottle to put the red potion into while you're in the Forsaken Fortress! How are they supposed to sell you potions when you cannot store them anywhere? Why do you need potions in Forsaken Fortress anyway? That's a stealth dungeon without any combat aside from one enemy.

Smacked around by rats? Set on fire by Moblin? Shot by laser statue? Hit by searchlight bomb? Struck by searchlight bokoblins that you have to fight with sticks? Come on, there's plenty.

But the point isn't that you need the potion there, just that you can bait the rats, and get largely worthless pap from them, which conditions you to not really be interested in the rats. I definitely had no idea the Dragon Roost rats would be handing out potions when I first played the game.

D-e-f-

Banned
Hey quick Q. What so you get for beating Hero mode as far as a second play through is concerned?
nothing.

Smacked around by rats? Set on fire by Moblin? Shot by laser statue? Hit by searchlight bomb? Struck by searchlight bokoblins that you have to fight with sticks? Come on, there's plenty.

But the point isn't that you need the potion there, just that you can bait the rats, and get largely worthless pap from them, which conditions you to not really be interested in the rats. I definitely had no idea the Dragon Roost rats would be handing out potions when I first played the game.

You don't even know about the rat holes until Dragon Roost so there is no conditioning going on. The only way you'd know about the mechanic is by randomly experimenting or having heard about it on here, the latter of which would mean that there is no conditioning going on because you know it gives out potions unless everyone here is lying for no reason.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
You don't even know about the rat holes until Dragon Roost so there is no conditioning going on. The only way you'd know about the mechanic is by randomly experimenting or having heard about it on here, the latter of which would mean that there is no conditioning going on because you know it gives out potions unless everyone here is lying for no reason.

Well if we're gonna go by that, who's to say you'll even have any bait when you're in there? It's not like you can get any in the dungeon. You have to have bought some on the way, and not used it up in the ocean. "Remember to have some bait on hand when you enter this dungeon" said no one in the game ever. And maybe you have some, but you don't want to waste it on rats, cause "treasure" sounds like rupees or joy pendants.

Alls I'm sayin is that it's not the obvious no-brainer potion giveaway you're makin it out to be.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing for probably six to eight hours and I still haven't found the red sail.

D-e-f-

Banned
Hmm, where's that? I don't even remember it, haha.

Be aware that it might not show up the first time you enter. Just go quit out of the auction and re-enter. useful tip:
raise the bid by 20 every time to keep the competition bedazzled while the clock runs down

69wpm

Oh boy, just got a cheap download code from eBay for about 27 Euros, awesome deal. Quick question: Do I get premium points for this?

Be aware that it might not show up the first time you enter. Just go quit out of the auction and re-enter. useful tip:
raise the bid by 20 every time to keep the competition bedazzled while the clock runs down
I'd actually try raising the bid about 10% each time. While the other bidders are stunned, mash that A button until you're just about ready to place your next bid, as soon as the other bidders are no longer stunned fill up the rest of the bar and raise it another 10%. You'll save quite a bit of cash this way.

Just wanted to say - beat it, better than the original. Triforce quest still sucked. Also, 27 year old me is much more capable of noticing the flagrant cuts that were obviously made.

Birathen

God damnit, I need to finish this befor A link between worlds is released but I seem to be glitched D:

Im inside the cabana but cant use the hookshot. Is there anything I need to do befor I can use it inside the house?

Edit: Im such a giant idiot.... God damnit..

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
the game is sooo much more enjoyable with swift sail!! :)

Draconian

You know you can quit out and just re-enter the auction, right? Just do it until it shows up. Outbid by 20 each time and you're set for a low price.

No actually. This is my first time playing. That sounds way better than that joy pendant that was up last time.

D-e-f-

Banned
No actually. This is my first time playing. That sounds way better than that joy pendant that was up last time.

Wait with your next bid until right before the bar is filled so the others stay stunned and don't raise the bid further. Make sure they're stunned while the countdown runs out so they don't suddenly snipe it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I've been to the auction three times and still haven't seen it. :(

You know you can quit out and just re-enter the auction, right? Just do it until it shows up. Outbid by 20 each time and you're set for a low price.

It showed up the second time, first time was a heart piece so I grabbed that as well.

I got lucky I guess

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guess I was lucky as the swift sail was my first item and having forgot the proper tactics for the auction and losing it the first time round it was there again on my return.

I just assumed it was always the first item.

After Pokemon X dragged me away for a month, I finally finished the game with 100% aside from the Nintendo Gallery.

It's easily the definitive version. The Swift Sail, gamepad menus, shortened animations, and shortened Triforce Quest all add up to make a it a much nicer experience than the original. It's still not perfect, but I definitely enjoyed it more than the original. The amazing visual upgrade and neat remastered soundfont help too, of course.

balgajo

People who complained about headphones on tv mode. Let's join forces on miiverse and ask Nintendo for that. Maybe a patch or even a system menu option. I'm pretty sure this isn't difficult to do, maybe they aren't aware that exists people(like me) who likes to play in a big tv while GF sleeps.

Bought this game on a whim yesterday (for some reason hadn't considered it before), and stayed up till 4 am playing it. I forgot how utterly beautiful, charming, and emotional evocative this game is, as well as the awe inspiring sense of adventure and exploration. It has this soul that hasn't been touched by any other Zelda game, nor possibly any other game I've played period. Not only are the HD graphics so much more gorgeous and immersive, they got rid of most of the original's most annoying friction points, which is exactly what the game needed.

I can't believe how well this game as aged, I have to keep reminding myself it came out 11 years ago on a system that wasn't exactly well regarded in terms of it's power. But to my eyes, it looks just as gorgeous, if not more so, than any other game I've played this generation, technical specifications be damned. The colors, animation, lighting, artstyle, music, sound effects, etc all combine in a way that makes it more than the sum of its parts, amounting to something magical. There's nothing I wouldn't do for a direct sequel to this on the Wii U, taking full advantage of the power of the system to push this artstyle even further. I get shivers thinking what they could accomplish. The Zelda series bring me joy, and nostalgia unlike any other gaming franchise, and replaying this game reminds me why. Even though I'm 10 years older, my cynicism hasn't affected my wonder while playing this game, as I still feel like I have a constant smile plastered on my face the entire time.

Legend-of-Zelda-Wind-Waker-HD-Wii-U-YouTube-Channel-Art.jpg

Top Bottom