• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

I still love this game. Who'd have guessed? I am revisiting every map square before I do the Earth temple. Is that weird to you? I don't care. I love the great sea. I'll probably revisit them all again before the Ganon fight. I'm not sure that I'll get every treasure map, or every heart piece, and I'm not going to do the gallery or the hidden statues... but I'm exploring this world by myself and enjoying it just as much as I did a decade ago. But I've got four bottles full of blue potion. I've got a sweet cabana decorated with Pinwheels. I've got hero flags over the entrance archway on Windfall. I put postman statues in the rich guys house just to be a dick, even though they were really expensive.

I'd long maintained that Wind Waker was the best Zelda. Well, it's not.

But Wind Waker HD is.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I still love this game. Who'd have guessed? I am revisiting every map square before I do the Earth temple. Is that weird to you? I don't care. I love the great sea. I'll probably revisit them all again before the Ganon fight. I'm not sure that I'll get every treasure map, or every heart piece, and I'm not going to do the gallery or the hidden statues... but I'm exploring this world by myself and enjoying it just as much as I did a decade ago. But I've got four bottles full of blue potion. I've got a sweet cabana decorated with Pinwheels. I've got hero flags over the entrance archway on Windfall. I put postman statues in the rich guys house just to be a dick, even though they were really expensive.

I'd long maintained that Wind Waker was the best Zelda. Well, it's not.

But Wind Waker HD is.

Wind Waker has by far my favourite set of trading quests in the series. The flags and flowers and statues are all silly and worthless, but I love their variety and how they manage to visually transform WIndfall island.

Wind Waker has by far my favourite set of trading quests in the series. The flags and flowers and statues are all silly and worthless, but I love their variety and how they manage to visually transform WIndfall island.

I put the creepy skull ones in the potion shop. They fit the atmosphere so well.

My wife and I just finished playing this game together (and by together, I mean her going "well can you bomb that wall?" when I get hung up searching for a small key or something). We've similarly done Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword together. Her reaction after we finished up was "Really, that's it? It felt like there were more side-quests than real stuff." And we didn't even do most of the side stuff. We never completed the trading thing for the decorations (I didn't realize there was more to it after you get the sea flower, I guess I wasn't paying attention), only got about 2 hearts into the second row, pretty much a basic run through. I thought it was a pretty amusing yet apt description from someone who just likes to watch and offer suggestions (usually bad ones, as she's not a gamer so she doesn't know the 'vocabulary' of Japanese videogame puzzle solving).

My reaction after the credits was, "That final boss fight was complete anus."

My daughter, who is three, has from birth been with a Daddy who works with and in his free time enjoys videogames and the latest consumer electronics.

Before she was even one year of age she learnt how to use an iphone/pad and happily swiped through photo albums and very shortly after understood how to stream her favourite TV shows. I watched these developments with wonderment and complete awe, it certainly wasn't forced, she just naturally developed to understand these systems and derived pleasure from them.

So she's competent at a basic level with modern consumer electronics and I then announce to her we're getting a new videogame on the Wii U called the Legend of Zelda, Wind Waker HD edition. She takes it in but is generally meh. It arrives and we draw the curtains, mums gone to work, I give it a bit of fan fare, crank up the surround sound and with the intro.... ZAP - she's in. I'm sure its this visual 1080p fidelity - even at a very early age she preferred HD cartoons to old skool SD ones. This game has absolutely captured her imagination, maybe a factor with this is her Dads enthusiasm but whatever she's absolutely glued to it.

So we play through the first few chapters, I've never seen her concentrate for so long, she's prompting on strategy and whooping and hollering with every next challenge. Then my phone rings and I'm called away only to come back and there she is, self teaching dual analogue controls, meandering around Windfall Island. Well I was as proud as punch, emotional even about her new found skill.

The next day I come home from work and she greets me with her ever joyous manner and asks if we're going to play Zelda. I agree, quickly get changed and then we continue our quest to find our sister. I get sidetracked by neogaf as she wonders around Outset Island, I then and come back in and take the Gamepad, I get on the boat and she starts crying, I immediately put the pad down and comfort here and ask her why shes upset....

She replies, with tears streaming down her face that the grandmother was all alone in her house and just wanted her and her sister to not leave outset island - she then, serious as hell, looks at me eye to eye and says "You must find our sister", I hug her and say "We'll find her.....together"

And so the adventure continues.

JDSN

Banned
My daughter, who is three, has from birth been with a Daddy who works with and in his free time enjoys videogames and the latest consumer electronics.

Before she was even one year of age she learnt how to use an iphone/pad and happily swiped through photo albums and very shortly after understood how to stream her favourite TV shows. I watched these developments with wonderment and complete awe, it certainly wasn't forced, she just naturally developed to understand these systems and derived pleasure from them.

So she's competent at a basic level with modern consumer electronics and I then announce to her we're getting a new videogame on the Wii U called the Legend of Zelda, Wind Waker HD edition. She takes it in but is generally meh. It arrives and we draw the curtains, mums gone to work, I give it a bit of fan fare, crank up the surround sound and with the intro.... ZAP - she's in. I'm sure its this visual 1080p fidelity - even at a very early age she preferred HD cartoons to old skool SD ones. This game has absolutely captured her imagination, maybe a factor with this is her Dads enthusiasm but whatever she's absolutely glued to it.

So we play through the first few chapters, I've never seen her concentrate for so long, she's prompting on strategy and whooping and hollering with every next challenge. Then my phone rings and I'm called away only to come back and there she is, self teaching dual analogue controls, meandering around Windfall Island. Well I was as proud as punch, emotional even about her new found skill.

The next day I come home from work and she greets me with her ever joyous manner and asks if we're going to play Zelda. I agree, quickly get changed and then we continue our quest to find our sister. I get sidetracked by neogaf as she wonders around Outset Island, I then and come back in and take the Gamepad, I get on the boat and she starts crying, I immediately put the pad down and comfort here and ask her why shes upset....

She replies, with tears streaming down her face that the grandmother was all alone in her house and just wanted her and her sister to not leave outset island - she then, serious as hell, looks at me eye to eye and says "You must find our sister", I hug her and say "We'll find her.....together"

Oh man, to the cynic this would read like a bullshit Facebook post but then I remember that my niece was pretty sad when
(X:Com: EU spoilers: The Volunteer named after her dad scarified himself at the end)

Timeaisis

I'm not gonna lie, I got a little watery under the eyes during that story.

Dude, that's like...the magic of Zelda right there. That's why it's my favorite series.

Pitmonkey

This game is like living concept art. Brilliant.

Deaxh0A.jpg

BorkBork

A big dawww. I love it when kids get super serious.

Smellycat

I was going to make an entire topic out of this, but don't really have enough time to do it justice. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that one of the dungeons cut from wind waker and put into TP must have been the Temple of Time, and that it was in a fairly advanced state.

It's the dungeon you get the dominion rod in, which is so obviously missing from this game for the reasons you just mentioned.

It would fit in perfectly with the sunken hyrule, and seems to be kind of thrown into twilight princess. The dominion rod is even less utilized than the spinner in that game, and the temple of time is put in a random spot that is absolutely not congruent with Ocarina, whereas they actually modeled a huge area of undersea hyrule, but ended up with a straight corridor to Gannon's Tower.

Then there's this guy, who looks much more like he belongs in Wind Waker than TP.

tlcDGXY.png

This actually makes sense.

That's not a tear in my eye. And if it is, it's just because I'm thinking about a friend of mine you don't know, who is dying.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That is the most adorable story ever

Shaanyboi

Banned

That is adorable, man. That daughter of yours is going to have some fun years ahead of her :)

Tookay

Yeah I think the final fight is one of the best in gaming.

Zelda almost always nails the last boss battle in general and I'm glad the last several console ones have been badass duels.

kurbaan

Banned
So finally started this game on weekend and did the first dungeon and god damn it. Nintendo is so god damn incompetent.

WHY can't I invert the camera controls up and down... Instead they give an option of inverting left/right wtf. Making this game a lot more frustrating for me when it should be fun.

oh and those HD GRAPHICS sooo good.gif

BorkBork

My reaction after the credits was, "That final boss fight was complete anus."

Wha? I loved how diverse the final confrontation was. Four iterations including the puppet, clever fight with the water reflection, demands good arrowing skills, and then Ganon is a pretty threatening boss all the way through.

Zushin

Just finished up WW last night. Reaction = sogood.gif. Was really impressed by the game, and am pumped for the next Zelda now :D

ajim

Need some help guys!

Just received the Wind God's Aria and need to find a character to teach to play. Where are they?

Thanks

Zushin

Need some help guys!

Just received the Wind God's Aria and need to find a character to teach to play. Where are they?

Thanks

For the
wind god's aria
you need to find
a little plant guy near the Forest Haven. He's playing behind the waterfall when you first get there.

I had to look it up too, wasn't sure how I was supposed to find him either.

Hindle

Banned
This game really did have the best art direction of all time IMO. There was a lot of complaining at the time as well which was just crazy.

Are there any new dungeons for the Wii U version? I've not been following the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Are there any new dungeons for the Wii U version? I've not been following the game.
No. Most of the changes simply make the game a smoother and more flowing experience.

The big change is that some of the chests that contained Triforce Charts now contain the Triforce pieces resulting in only three charts to decipher.

MarkusRJR

Playing this game between Pokémon. So fucking good. The bloom is ugly but the art style of Wind Waker in HD puts me in awe. Loving playing with the Pro controller (got it just for this game).

Hoping the Wii U Zelda is more like this/OoT/MM and less like TP/SS (aka incredibly boring).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yes, I meant how you were supposed to even know to go to
Forest Haven.
Well you know that he stayed on that island after the second dungeon and you even watched a cutscene where he played the fiddle. I'd say the game gave a pretty big hint their, even more than they gave with Medli who didn't play her harp when you first saw her.

And if you noticed the details in the second dungeon you would have noticed the Kokiri Emblem painted on surfaces and one of the Koroks tells you that was their old home. So you can put two and two together and realise that the Koroks are the decedents of a Kokiri.

Zushin

Well you know that he stayed on that island after the second dungeon and you even watched a cutscene where he played the fiddle. I'd say the game gave a pretty big hint their, even more than they gave with Medli who didn't play her harp when you first saw her.

And if you noticed the details in the second dungeon you would have noticed the Kokiri Emblem painted on surfaces and one of the Koroks tells you that was their old home. So you can put two and two together and realise that the Koroks are the decedents of a Kokiri.

Yeah, guess I wasn't paying close enough attention haha.

Grampasso

For the
wind god's aria
you need to find
a little plant guy near the Forest Haven. He's playing behind the waterfall when you first get there.

I had to look it up too, wasn't sure how I was supposed to find him either.

But I think you need to
complete the earth dungeon before. You can learn both songs in the two locations but after that you need to go to Medli first. I tried going to Makar first but he's not behind the waterfall, it seems to just unlock after you complete the other dungeon.
I always thought those 2 dungeons could be done in any order but for some reason I always did Medli's first... now I understand that's the way it was supposed to be done from the beginning

Albo

Beautiful story. Nothing like playing a game like WW as a child for the first time, with your father, and you getting to experience it with her.

Dayum, these just keep getting better.

Nice review. I've always enjoyed this guys vids.

Deku Tree

Hey guys, Matthewmatosis just posted his review of Wind Waker HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajndmZ5B3a8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUb_sF2m3-2azOqeNEdMwQPw

He is the guy who made some really good reviews of other Zelda games. This review is particularly aimed at people who are familiar with the original WW (he still has original WW review) and thus he only tackles the changes and how they impact the game.

He made some good points. Other times I thought he was just hunting for silly reasons to complain. The sepia tones look fantastic IMO.

I'm some 37 hours in, and I'm midway through the earth temple. I have decided to complete the Nintendo collection, because the end feels too near already. 15 heart pieces and 40 treasures and treasure maps hauled up, so far. I've never come close to 100% a Zelda game.

Between the figures I already have (I think I have all the missable ones) and the bottles providing figures as well as taking photos myself... I think I'm already more than half way there.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have a stylus and I have a map. Why for the love of everything can I not take notes in this game. Come on Nintendo!
I agree. Such a great feature in PH/ST. It doesn't have to be used for puzzles like the DS games were but being able to note an island which requires an item would be useful because otherwise it only encourages exploration after you've beaten all the islands.

Also being able to mark off submarines and platforms you've already visited. I basically went from one corner of the map and made my way zigzagging to the top taking on each platform so I knew I had visited them all once whereas I should have really tackled each one as I came across them the first time.

I'm some 37 hours in, and I'm midway through the earth temple. I have decided to complete the Nintendo collection, because the end feels too near already. 15 heart pieces and 40 treasures and treasure maps hauled up, so far. I've never come close to 100% a Zelda game.

Between the figures I already have (I think I have all the missable ones) and the bottles providing figures as well as taking photos myself... I think I'm already more than half way there.
Just a tip, the mini boss in the next temple is unique so make sure you get its photo.

I agree. Such a great feature in PH/ST. It doesn't have to be used for puzzles like the DS games were but being able to note an island which requires an item would be useful because otherwise it only encourages exploration after you've beaten all the islands.

Also being able to mark off submarines and platforms you've already visited. I basically went from one corner of the map and made my way zigzagging to the top taking on each platform so I knew I had visited them all once whereas I should have really tackled each one as I came across them the first time.

Just a tip, the mini boss in the next temple is unique so make sure you get its photo.

Exactly!

oh, don't worry, I'm snapping pictures of all bosses and minibosses :)

Top Bottom