• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legion |OT| Insert X-Men Meme - Wednesdays 10/9c on FX

Hooray, so it's totally the Shadow King!

I'm excited to see where the fuck this goes to, because we got the Shadow King out of the
Astral Plane, we got Oliver seemingly locked up in there waiting for something while we don't know his power set, and we got this Division 3 stuff.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Mr.Shrugglesツ;231426598 said:
Ive tried to watch this episode no less than four times.

I'm so lost.

Are you watching with the sound off?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Mr.Shrugglesツ;231426598 said:
Ive tried to watch this episode no less than four times.

I'm so lost.

What about? While the show is a mindtrip, I don't think they've shown something that doesn't make sense.

manakel

In the beginning it's confusing but as the events unfold it's a good story
I just watched the first episode tonight and had no idea what was going on the entire time. I was going to give up on it, but maybe I should watch another episode or two and see if it pulls me in.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I just watched the first episode tonight and had no idea what was going on the entire time. I was going to give up on it, but maybe I should watch another episode or two and see if it pulls me in.

The first episode is the closest this show has been to being legitimately confusing because you don't understand how any of the teams' powers work at that point. Once you get at least some idea of how the memory powers work in episode 2 it's more clear what happened in episode 1.

How anybody can get lost watching episode 4 is beyond me. It's Comic Book Nonsense, but it's not exactly hard to follow.

Sir Doom

Episode 2 is slow but more structured than 1 and explains to you more of what happened on episode 1

To me the best episode so far is three. Different from your Arrow/flash and SHIELD/Daredevil show

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For me this show shits on the other comic book TV shows (especially from a cinematography standpoint).

Edit: Shits on is probably too strong..I just find it more engaging and I'm more inclined to weird shows.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
5QBvR2n.gif

The first episode is the closest this show has been to being legitimately confusing because you don't understand how any of the teams' powers work at that point. Once you get at least some idea of how the memory powers work in episode 2 it's more clear what happened in episode 1.

How anybody can get lost watching episode 4 is beyond me. It's Comic Book Nonsense, but it's not exactly hard to follow.

I mean I'm not having trouble following this show so much as I don't know where the show is headed to next. It's mind bending in the best sense.

caliph95

For me this show shits on the other comic book TV shows (especially from a cinematography standpoint).

Edit: Shits on is probably too strong..I just find it more engaging and I'm more inclined to weird shows.

Nah as person who watches comic book shows regularly that is appropriate.

I think this show is so mindbendingly stupid. Well shot and cast with absolutely nothing at its core. So much slow motion on scenes for no reason. Show something out of context and in slow motion instead of having narrative drive. Dan Stevens is simply looking confused every second of the show. I don't think the show is confusing, it's just a lot of obfuscation with no purpose.

^^^ I like it more than you, but you're not wrong.

It's definitely a case of style over substance. It's smart that it's only an eight episode long season so it'll be over before more people realize that there is no there there.

Hyun Sai

I think this show is so mindbendingly stupid. Well shot and cast with absolutely nothing at its core. So much slow motion on scenes for no reason. Show something out of context and in slow motion instead of having narrative drive. Dan Stevens is simply looking confused every second of the show. I don't think the show is confusing, it's just a lot of obfuscation with no purpose.

Yeah, its the first time I fall asleep several times when not being tired watching a TV show. Not much happens and all those stylish effects are really not needed.

Reminded me of the architect monologue in Matrix 2.

I don't know if I'd go that far or not, but it just so different from eveything else it's in a league of its own. I hope DC can come up with something like this at some point if they decide to branch out past CW fare. Imagine something in this vein with Shade, The Changing Man/Woman or Doom Patrol. Crazy. I think even if this show isn't super successful at the end, it'll at least open those kind of doors

LotusHD

Banned

Wouldn't say it's better than AoT, but with it's distinct style it's clearly going for a completely different thing that I'm starting to love more and more with each episode.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

This is what I've gotten out of it since the premiere. At least it's well directed for the most part.

hydruxo

Yeah, its the first time I fall asleep several times when not being tired watching a TV show. Not much happens and all those stylish effects are really not needed.

Reminded me of the architect monologue in Matrix 2.

I don't know what show you guys are watching because there's always interesting things happening. Show has been great so far.

I am curious to see what the long term story line will be though.

HariKari

This is what I've gotten out of it since the premiere. At least it's well directed for the most part.

I'd give them the full season before really overthinking it. It's an introduction to a pretty complicated character and they're conveying the insanity of his situation pretty clearly. I absolutely loved the bits with Jemaine Clement.

I think the problem with the first 4 episodes is that they're not really answering any of the questions raised and continue to introduce new ones, so things can get really convoluted. If it stays that way through the back half, they've got a problem.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The way I look at the narrative is it being prismatic, wholly contained to the main character. I find this sort of flow extremely fascinating versus following your typical season long archs. Its too bad some of you dont dig it but this is good stuff.

Mulberry

The confusing aspects of the show seem to be a reflection of David himself. There is no reliable narrator and the viewer is meant to question what is real and what is imagined. David as a child reacted with fear to things he didn't understand but as an adult he reacts with skepticism and confusion. The show isn't boring at all or that confusing. It's no where near the level of Lost where things were mysterious just for the sake of being mysterious.

Future

The confusing aspects of the show seem to be a reflection of David himself. There is no reliable narrator and the viewer is meant to question what is real and what is imagined. David as a child reacted with fear to things he didn't understand but as an adult he reacts with skepticism and confusion. The show isn't boring at all or that confusing. It's no where near the level of Lost where things were mysterious just for the sake of being mysterious.

But it feels like nothing is going anywhere because the main narrator is confused the entire time, his helpers are confused as well, some possibly not real at all...it's just all mind bending stuff without any real plot to follow.

I don't mind the trippy feel to this. But I wish this was on Netflix so I could binge it. Week to week even I gotta admit that it's not a very satisfying thing to watch since the characters are still in the same spot every episode with barely anything learned

Just caught up with episode 4 (Horizon and Zelda got in the way). Another great one, love this show so much.

I don't really get how (just ep. 4 stuff, do we spoiler-tag stuff from aired episodes?)
Kerry got taken down in the fight, though? She seemed to mop the floor with those soldiers... then they somehow get back up, and she doesn't really react and gets easily beaten? Is there something we don't yet understand about her? Or... was it just a bad fight choreography?

Hyun Sai

I don't really get how (just ep. 4 stuff, do we spoiler-tag stuff from aired episodes?)
Kerry got taken down in the fight, though? She seemed to mop the floor with those soldiers... then they somehow get back up, and she doesn't really react and gets easily beaten? Is there something we don't yet understand about her? Or... was it just a bad fight choreography?

That confused me as well. I wonder if it's related to the other mental state or whatever, but it was really bizarre.

Zousi

Hmm... ratings seem to go down with every episode. Last episode managed to get only 750k viewers. I guess the weirdness factor is just too strong to keep people interested. Shame.

Hmm... ratings seem to go down with every episode. Last episode managed to get only 750k viewers. I guess the weirdness factor is just too strong to keep people interested. Shame.

my girlfriend definitely would have stopped watching if i didnt put it on. Like some of have mentioned she gets frustrated not knowing where its going and not having many answers to the questions.

I'm just enjoying the ride. The acting, writing, cinematography are all awesome imo. I thought ep4 was the best so far (besides maybe the pilot). I like when tv writers/directors get to try something different and legion is certainly different.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm not surprised at the ratings.

The show is deliberately a mind-trip. The frequent journey through memories, and now astral plane, coupled with the stylistic almost dreamlike dialog the characters have even in real life, won't gain traction with many viewers.

Episode 4 was laced with "David wake up!" lines and flashes. The supporting characters would even ask "is this real? Are we here?" which I like because reinforces the trippiness... But it's undeniably disconcerting to an already confused viewer.

I'm just happy that the shadow king theory turned out to be true. So far the execution of his influence has been on point.

Shows like this and Hannibal are too good for this world.

I'm not sure I get the point of this comparison outside of the fact that both shows got unimpressive ratings. This isn't anywhere near the caliber of seasons one and two of Hannibal from a quality standpoint.

I don't think Legion is in any danger of being canceled due to the ratings. The time-shifted numbers are declining, but doing fine. FX likes being in business with Noah Hawley, and critics like the show. As long as Hawley has a clear plan for where it's going and wants to continue working on, they'll renew it.

SickBoy

I thought I had posted this question earlier, but realized I hadn't because I didn't wind up subscribed to the thread... but for fans of the comic, how traditional a Marvel mutant comic is Legion? Is the show a really twisted take on a superhero comic, or is the comic itself quite a twist on its own?

The only reason I watch this show is because I'd heard about it and the night it premiered my wife was looking for something to do and I said, "hey, check this out!" (I was fully expecting to go do something else, but got sucked in).

I don't know what other people expect from it, but I guess one of my biggest fears as someone who's just kind of enjoying the ride right now is that it somehow develops into a more traditional comic book world.

caliph95

Legion will be fine, The Americans is in it's fourth season even though it has shit ratings, FX is probably lenient on shows that it likes or is getting acclaimed.

Corpekata

Banned
I thought I had posted this question earlier, but realized I hadn't because I didn't wind up subscribed to the thread... but for fans of the comic, how traditional a Marvel mutant comic is Legion? Is the show a really twisted take on a superhero comic, or is the comic itself quite a twist on its own?

The only reason I watch this show is because I'd heard about it and the night it premiered my wife was looking for something to do and I said, "hey, check this out!" (I was fully expecting to go do something else, but got sucked in).

I don't know what other people expect from it, but I guess one of my biggest fears as someone who's just kind of enjoying the ride right now is that it somehow develops into a more traditional comic book world.

Legion isn't a character that's usually the focus of comics, he's usually part of an ensemble and so isn't always the star, and often would not be involved in comics for long stretches of time (being that powerful + son of popular character meant frequent storylines in which he died or was taken out in some measure). Some stories with him were headtrips like the show, but many were fairly normal comic book stuff.

The show really doesn't have a ton in common with the comic books other than the basis of supremely powerful mutant that is mentally ill, so it's hard to predict where the show will land. I think it's clearly going to have some general superheroics and plotting involved, but I doubt we'll be seeing David suiting up and fighting villains of the week.

Top Bottom