• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legion |OT| Insert X-Men Meme - Wednesdays 10/9c on FX

So do we know roughly what year (or time frame) this takes place yet? I assumed it was the mid 60s due to the women's fashion, but after Jemaine showed up and asked if free love was still a thing (and he's obviously been under for some time), I'm starting to think it's more like early to mid 70s? Any definitive answer been given? Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've been staying out of the thread because I watch the episodes late.

Is this still as good as the pilot? I haven't been able to keep up with the show but I loved the first episode.
Yep. It's still just as bonkers as the pilot.

So do we know roughly what year (or time frame) this takes place yet? I assumed it was the mid 60s due to the women's fashion, but after Jemaine showed up and asked if free love was still a thing (and he's obviously been under for some time), I'm starting to think it's more like early to mid 70s? Any definitive answer been given? Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've been staying out of the thread because I watch the episodes

No answer, and I don't think they plan on doing so.

Some of the technology (tablets, touch screens) looks very modern.

Ricker

Trying very hard to like this but I just watched episode 3 and I find it kind of boring...not what I thought it would be I guess and find it really hard to follow...reminds me of Preacher,if you arent familiar with the comics,its hard to get into...

I thought I had posted this question earlier, but realized I hadn't because I didn't wind up subscribed to the thread... but for fans of the comic, how traditional a Marvel mutant comic is Legion? Is the show a really twisted take on a superhero comic, or is the comic itself quite a twist on its own?

Legion has mostly been a supporting character during his time in the comics. He did have a brief stint as the main focus of a comic a few years ago (the second volume of X-Men Legacy), and this show definitely feels very much in the vein of that comic (as well as Legion's first appearance in New Mutants back in the day).

- Huffington Post: Jean Smart Says She’s Figuring Out Her ‘Legion’ Character on the Fly

We're past the halfway point for Season 1, so it'll be interesting to see if they start answering some questions and moving the narrative towards some type of conclusion. Hawley interview from before the season:
Q: There has been a recent TV trend of unreliable narrators. How do you keep the audience from looking at the show as a puzzle to solve?

Hawley: You have to solve the mystery. The narrator has to become reliable. It’s a lot to ask an audience to take a perpetually unsatisfying journey where it’s like you’re never going to know for sure. It’s another thing to say, “We’re going to take a character out of confusion into clarity and an audience out of mystery into clarity.” That’s the goal of it which is to say, there’s a contract and you watch that first hour and you like, “I don’t know. There’s a devil with yellow eyes and there are these other elements that I’m not sure what they mean, but I trust the filmmaker and I know that I’m going to understand it eventually.” You do. It becomes clear by the end of the first year what’s going on.

No answer, and I don't think they plan on doing so.

Some of the technology (tablets, touch screens) looks very modern.

Yeah. The pilot threw me off because the interrogator had a pretty high tech looking tablet and only the women's fashion felt old school. I assumed it was modern day with a weird twist until the next couple of episodes started having a more cohesive 60s-70s look to most everything.

Yeah. The pilot threw me off because the interrogator had a pretty high tech looking tablet and only the women's fashion felt old school. I assumed it was modern day with a weird twist until the next couple of episodes started having a more cohesive 60s-70s look to most everything.

Hawley made a point of stating in interviews before the show started that they specifically wanted it to not appear to be in any certain era.

j-wood

What is the main bad guys powers? Does he like suck powers away or something?

He he grabbed the memory guys head he obviously passed out but it made a point to show his one eye becoming like the bad guys...so what happened there?

Jag

The creators also said that much of the show is also seen through David's memories which is late 60s/early 70s. It's also why the music fits the period so well.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah I mean, Clement is like what 20-30 years younger than Jean Smart, his lover, so if he went all ice cube in the 60s, it's clearly not set there any more.

While having tablets and whatnot does point to a more modern time, comic books throughout the ages have always had tech that's incredibly advanced.

Though like others have suggested, I think they are going for a muddled and confusing setting specifically to throw people off and keep people off kilter.

Dysun

I'm surprised people are saying they're bored of the show because for me it's been really engaging.

I agree, its very engrossing in a good way. The mystery and layers to unwrap keep me on my toes

I can see why its not for everyone, but I love to see a comic book property try something completely different and new with this much care and detail given to it.

dionysus

Yaldog
I've been on board with the psychological exploration of the main character so far as the focus of the show. But for me they do need to start moving along the mystery and interject some character progress soon, like tonight. I don't want them to clear everything up, but things need to happen in the real world and David himself needs to start gaining the knowledge his supporting characters are gaining. Even with the real world things happening in episode 4, at the end of the episode everything is back to status quo for David basically as it was at the end of episode 1.

I guess what I am saying is too much of a good thing is becoming a bad thing for me. I need some balance.

Ponn

Banned
I've been on board with the psychological exploration of the main character so far as the focus of the show. But for me they do need to start moving along the mystery and interject some character progress soon, like tonight. I don't want them to clear everything up, but things need to happen in the real world and David himself needs to start gaining the knowledge his supporting characters are gaining. Even with the real world things happening in episode 4, at the end of the episode everything is back to status quo for David basically as it was at the end of episode 1.

I guess what I am saying is too much of a good thing is becoming a bad thing for me. I need some balance.

Lots of plot tonight. Butt loads of it.

Alright, so just to make sure I'm understanding things, are
Lenny/Benny and the pup actually the creature?

Pretty sure that Benny was real, and so was Lenny (different person, met by David in the hospital), but that the "Lenny" we've been seeing since her death is the entity. And King the dog was always the entity.

somedevil

Alright, so just to make sure I'm understanding things, are
Lenny/Benny and the pup actually the creature?

yep, this all started
when he was a kid and the stars spoke to him. Then the creature went into his mind then took forms to have control over him.

Ponn

Banned
So i'm not sure of what rights they have exactly for this show and I haven't been keeping up with any rumors but taking a guess based on comics
I would say this parasite they are talking about is the Shadow King, which also has a history with Charles

Alright, thanks y'all.

Also, I know this isn't the case, but part of me keeps thinking shape shifter dude is mystique. Or maybe​ I just want it to be.

dionysus

Yaldog
Lenny IMO had a body but was always the parasite. Think Sid killed the body when she was David. That was the only death right. Everyone else was in cells with no doors.

hydruxo

Kind of weird how the other telekinetic guy from that escape scene in the first ep is back again and we still don't know anything about him at all.

That knowing head bob from Syd seeing the bodies.

Not sure why he just stuck the two rookies together rather than split one of them with each of them.
Just left him there!

"Uh...Miss Bird?!" Yeaaaah...about that!

"We thought we were ready" heh.
Yup, you fucked up, you were not ready.

There we go! Finally some progress on that end from the others.

"The Eye" didn't learn shit apparently or has balls of steel if he's still following immediately after that lol.

Glad that they showed it switch between all those forms to make it clear that it's all one thing. Wasn't sure until then.

Kind of weird how the other telekinetic guy from that escape scene in the first ep is back again and we still don't know anything about him at all.

Was just thinking this. How haven't they shown him at the base a bit? He seems to be a little more experienced so it'd be nice to see him some more.
He's going to die is the reason isn't it?

Christian

Can't decide if I'm enjoying this or Agents of SHIELD more. Tough call, but it's a good problem to have. They're definitely my two favorite shows on TV right now.

Haha, these two :D
That silence was creepy, they did pretty well keeping their cool. And the rest of that scene with "Lenny" unsettling as heck.
OMG, LOL, the silent yelling when he came in. Haha, no we need her!

That damned cliffhanger jump.

Deadly

Why did I watch this before going to sleep. Holy shit that was fucking trippy. What the fuck happened at the end there?

Who would have thought Aubrey Plaza would be playing the bad guy here

Top Bottom