• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes |OT| Of great themes and vocal legos

Fantomex

Done, completely. 100%. Got all the kits, dudes, bricks, achievements, whatever. I might have bought the DLC if it was up on preorder, but I doubt I will now since there's not much of a reason for me to go back anytime soon unless my nieces want to play.

fun stuff, decent sense of humor. I really liked the cutscenes near the end. I haven't played a Lego game since the original Star Wars, so that probably helps. Tempted to try the Pirates one sometime in the future.

If you have a Lego store nearby they have the pirates game for $8.99

bryehn

I've had some freezes, characters stuck in environments and have been frustrated at often sloppy level (gold brick runs/red brick games) designs, but I finished the story today and started digging into the extra stuff and I'm hooked.

3/5 type game IMO, just 'cause there's some really broken stuff and the checkpoint system kinda sucks.

Being able to swap characters on the fly in the open world is sweet though!

I'm having a surgery tomorrow that will render me unable to leave my house for about a week.

How long does it take to 100% this? I'm thinking about picking it up for a five day rental since I'll have nothing else to do, and if I can do most of it in that amount of time then I won't need to punish my wallet anymore than necessary by flat out buying it

JMizzlin

This game is glitchy as fuck =/
Also, anyone else really dislike the flying controls? Flying around the city is so frustrating.

This game is glitchy as fuck =/
Also, anyone else really dislike the flying controls? Flying around the city is so frustrating.

Not had a problem adjusting to the flying controls, but they did feel pretty weird at first. Noticed a couple of glitches myself, but IIRC this is the first time a LEGO game has done something "open world." They may only be breaking the mould slightly, but I think it's caused a few hiccups. It's still been very fun though.

bryanee said:
Mine on 360 has froze three times, always during a cutscene. Fine after rebooting.

If you can recall, which cut scenes and where during them did it freeze?

BigNastyCurve said:
Why is the PC version $20 less than the console version? Is it shit?

No, it seems quite the opposite. The PC version is pretty much just the 360 version running at 60FPS. Aren't PC games always cheaper anyway?

Mike M

Nick N
I tried the demo on my 360 this afternoon. My
13!
year old nephew was walked in on the opening cinematic.

Nephew: "Who's Bruce Wayne?"
Me: "Seriously?"
Him: "Oh, that's right. He's Iron Man."

And he really, really meant it.

13!

Tie that kid down and show him Batman Begins and The Dark Knight right now.

Messi

13!

You know what has to be done.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
13!

Get him some reading material.

6104loNcW%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That works too, It's just as good. I just figured that if he doesn't know anything about the character and world that the Nolan films are a great crash-course on the character.

TAS would cover the character and his villains better though. And he would associate Batman with the proper voice.

I can't figure out how to get to the area on the left after going down the trapdoor after beating Harley. D:

Also, I like how I can still get the Green Lantern beating Sinestro achievement after already buying Sinestro.

I can't figure out how to get to the area on the left after going down the trapdoor after beating Harley. D:

Also, I like how I can still get the Green Lantern beating Sinestro achievement after already buying Sinestro.

You need Cyclops. In the immediate next room that gets exposed after the big Tuba blows up and you see the Riddler, I believe there's a gold lock you have to burn off with his laser vision and then a trapdoor on the floor you have to open with his magnetism. It leads you to a tunnel that takes you to that room

You need Cyclops. In the immediate next room that gets exposed after the big Tuba blows up and you see the Riddler, I believe there's a gold lock you have to burn off with his laser vision and then a trapdoor on the floor you have to open with his magnetism. It leads you to a tunnel that takes you to that room

Wait, Cyclops? You mean Cyborg?

Draconian

So umm I didn't want to create a new thread for this even though its not necessarily on topic, but how are all these lego games? This one looks pretty cool and with the steam sale coming up I'd like to get maybe the Lego Harry Potters and Batmans, not too much interest in Indiana Jones though and none in Star Wars. Are they basically just action adventures?

They're all in good fun. This one adds voices and an open world, but really, just about all of them are a fun time if you like the source material well enough, and yeah, they're all pretty much in the same style as this one. I'm still trying to decide whether I'm gonna get Lego LOTR day one like I did this one.

bro1

Banned
I played the first one with my 5 year old on the Wii. He plays skylanders on a regular basis now. Will this one be too difficult? it seemed a lot harder than the first one from the quick look.

abundant

Where exactly is Joker? I flew around ACE for 15-20 and couldn't find him.

The Joker is real glitchy. Even after I found the Batcomputer that shows me where he is, he was never there. Luckily after about the fifth time looking for him, he was there. Ra's Al Ghul is also glitchy. Whenever I try to fight him, the cinematic intro doesn't play, so I can never initiate the boss fight.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Anybody having severe graphic problems with the PC version? Lots of textures going wonky, polygons being pulled in different directions (at one time, Robin had legs going across the screen), and general crashing after a while?

I'm running it at top spec, using a GTX570. Not sure if a patch/community fix is coming/available.

Draconian

Is it me or is Superman really hard to control in the open world? Trying to get him to land on top of a building is really tough.

Speaking of glitchy, does this game have freezing problems? I'm only on the second level and it has frozen twice so far. I had to restart my system each time.

I'm hoping it's just the game as I manually repaired my 360 a few weeks ago. I hope this freezing doesn't mean it's about to red ring again soon

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is it me or is Superman really hard to control in the open world? Trying to get him to land on top of a building is really tough.

They're all difficult to control.

Pro-tip: Don't press A if you want to go up. Just push the cursor up or down while idle and they'll go straight up and down.

Draconian

Speaking of glitchy, does this game have freezing problems? I'm only on the second level and it has frozen twice so far. I had to restart my system each time.

I'm hoping it's just the game as I manually repaired my 360 a few weeks ago. I hope this freezing doesn't mean it's about to red ring again soon

I haven't froze the game, but Batman completely froze underneath the lighthouse in the amusement park twice. Easily fixed by exploding him with Robin, but still annoying nonetheless.

you're probably ok, it freezes my ps3

^^^
Thanks

The longer I play this the more I'm enjoying it, but I do have a couple more questions

What do the minifigs do? I can't figure out where to view them, or if I should even be spending my Lego bricks to buy them. Except, I'm not sure if you can buy anything else

Once you beat the game is there a way to change suits anywhere in Gotham? One of my biggest complaints so far is that Batman can't glide without the Bat Suit. Sometimes climbing to the tops of buildings requires the Electricity Suit or the Power Suit or whatever else, so once I'm high up I can't even have the satisfaction of gliding back down. Feels bad man :(

What to the 10 minikits in each level do? This is my first Lego game, so I'm not sure if they are worth collecting

I think that may be it for now

Anyway, what is surprising me the most so far about this game is that I'm enjoying the actual levels far more than free roaming Gotham, when I assumed it would be the other way around. The levels are fun and incredibly well designed, while Gotham is just... kinda boring. There isn't really anything to do except drive around and look for suits that you then use in the area to find a Gold Brick (which, I'm not sure what the Gold Bricks do either)

Maybe it will make more sense the more I keep playing. I'm definitely glad I gave this a shot though after previously dismissing all Lego games as kiddy franchise whoring software

Is this game good? I just picked it up
Looks like you'll find out yourself very soon then

I just beat it, it was my first ever LEGO game. It was much better than I was expecting out of the franchise. Free roaming Gotham is cool, but the individual levels are where the game really shines. It may be simplistic, but the levels are very well designed and are a lot of fun to play through

Amir0x

Banned
Looks like you'll find out yourself very soon then

I just beat it, it was my first ever LEGO game. It was much better than I was expecting out of the franchise. Free roaming Gotham is cool, but the individual levels are where the game really shines. It may be simplistic, but the levels are very well designed and are a lot of fun to play through

i've played tons of LEGO games. More specifically, I was curious if the open world parts feel incorporated well

I played the first one with my 5 year old on the Wii. He plays skylanders on a regular basis now. Will this one be too difficult? it seemed a lot harder than the first one from the quick look.

It's just fine... the Quick Look on GB was completely due to user error/idiocy.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
i've played tons of LEGO games. More specifically, I was curious if the open world parts feel incorporated well

The open world is just a hub world, really. There are characters hidden throughout you can unlock, and some Gold blocks to obtain by way of different suits.

Amir0x

Banned
The open world is just a hub world, really. There are characters hidden throughout you can unlock, and some Gold blocks to obtain by way of different suits.

ah i got you. I thought maybe you did some missions in it or something.

LEGO games are really fun, easy going games, one of those that is fun to play with others more than alone, so as long as it remains so, I'm sure I'll enjoy it

Would help if they had steam achievements. Just sayin', in case they are reading this or something. Some effort goes a long way.

If the PC had Steam achievements, would you just buy that version instead of one of the more expensive console versions? Would you pay an extra $10 on the PC version if it had achievements?

There aren't any missions that take place through the streets of Gotham, but it definitely doesn't feel disjointed at all. I was kind of disappointed with the open-world aspect until I beat the game. Being able to switch between every character on the fly while free roaming is awesome, and it will probably be good fun scouring the city for new characters and vehicles and bricks.

Plus, cruising in the Batmobile with Elfman's theme playing or flying around as Superman with Williams' theme playing was enough to make me geek out plenty of times while exploring. Having Gotham is definitely a great addition to the game

SnowHawk

If you playing with 2 controllers and the 2 charters are in different parts of the city and you summon a car or aircraft or boat it will crash your ps3.

Rootbeer

Banned
If the PC had Steam achievements, would you just buy that version instead of one of the more expensive console versions? Would you pay an extra $10 on the PC version if it had achievements?
All you have to do is look at steam, which games sell and which are played the most, it is heavily biased in favor of games that have steam features, including those that have achievements. Not just those by Valve, either.

I honestly believe that many games would not get the level of play they do if not for achievements. look at a game like binding of Isaac or super meat boy. challenging yourself and completing the goals is a big part of the fun.

yes I would absolutely pay the $10 more that would make it on par with the console versions, if they thought it was justified.

It is a very good LEGO game, probably their best ever, but there's still a lot of room for improvement. these are just a few of the easier ones they could implement.

leng jai

Lex Luthor minifig is awesome.

PC version is fine besides the fact that it drops frames at random intervals for a split second. Not as bad as it did in the last Harry Potter game though. I wonder why AA doesn't work when they have the option?

Top Bottom