• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes |OT| Of great themes and vocal legos

jufonuk

not tag worthy
should rename this thread, Lego Batman 2: Good luck finding anything out about the handeld version

this is my attempt to make 3DS/Vita Reviews to appear by Jinxing myself

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Finished the game last night. The story's not THAT long, but I haven't played a Lego game since Lego Star Wars, so I don't know what the expected length is. It definitely feels like the game wants you to finish it and then explore the open world since you can't change your dudes in open world Gotham until you finish it.

Finding it hard to get enough studs. Dudes cost a lot of money to buy and vehicles as well.

Draconian

Finished the game last night. The story's not THAT long, but I haven't played a Lego game since Lego Star Wars, so I don't know what the expected length is. It definitely feels like the game wants you to finish it and then explore the open world since you can't change your dudes in open world Gotham until you finish it.

Finding it hard to get enough studs. Dudes cost a lot of money to buy and vehicles as well.

About how many missions is the story mode?

Xander51

I finished the story mode in the Vita version in about 7 hours. The levels don't look quite as good or have as much stuff as the console version. The Justice League mode is just a bunch of arena combat challenges, I found it to be kind of annoying. This is a better game than TT Fusion's takes on Lego Pirates and Lego Harry 2, but I don't think it's in the same league as the console/PC release. It has fewer suits, no open world, and the sounds are the same low bit-rate sounds in all the recent handheld games.

Thankfully it doesn't overly rely on minigames and touchscreen stuff, and I do kind of like the slow-mo finishers during combat. There's no reason to play it on Vita instead of console/PC.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
And Traveller's Tales is now added to the list of developers that fail to provide an invert option for 3rd person camera control. FFS developers!

wotta

It seems that way or at least parts of it. The video in the cutscenes is super compressed. There is no open world, just missions.

metalshade

Just as a warning to fellow inverters!
I have been eagerly awaiting (yeah I am 23, so what) Lego Batman 2 for Xbox 360, and it finally arrived today.
After playing for a little while, as soon as I reached an open world part, it became clear that I cannot invert the camera controls. This renders the game unplayable to me, and I am sure to many others.
When are they going to add in inverted camera control/flight support, so that they don't alienate half the fan base?
I am unable to play the game until they rectify this situation, so I hope they will patch it damn quick!

Just as a warning to fellow inverters!
I have been eagerly awaiting (yeah I am 23, so what) Lego Batman 2 for Xbox 360, and it finally arrived today.
After playing for a little while, as soon as I reached an open world part, it became clear that I cannot invert the camera controls. This renders the game unplayable to me, and I am sure to many others.
When are they going to add in inverted camera control/flight support, so that they don't alienate half the fan base?
I am unable to play the game until they rectify this situation, so I hope they will patch it damn quick!

Eh. I used to use inverted camera controls. Eventually I just conditioned myself to using normal controls, it wasn't that difficult to do.

Good for you.
In the mean time, back to my point....

I just don't see it as enough of a reason to stop playing the game. I've played games that force you to use inverted and ones that force you to use normal; you just get used to it after time. I'm not trying to be rude, is there some specific reason why you can't become used to the normal controls?

metalshade

I just don't see it as enough of a reason to stop playing the game. I've played games that force you to use inverted and ones that force you to use normal; you just get used to it after time. I'm not trying to be rude, is there some specific reason why you can't become used to the normal controls?

Believe me, I have tried, but after years of flying aircraft, using simulators, and flying models, inverted is so firmly ingrained into my mind, I really cant change it, you know.
I have always done it this way.
Plus, if I did manage to get my mind to think non invert, if I did that, even momentarily during a flight, I am well and truly screwed.

Believe me, I have tried, but after years of flying aircraft, using simulators, and flying models, inverted is so firmly ingrained into my mind, I really cant change it, you know.
Plus, if I did manage to get my mind to think non invert, if I did that, even momentarily during a flight, I am well and truly screwed.

Well, in that case I can understand. For someone like me who's never so much got in a plane or played flight simulators it's pretty easy to adapt. I guess it does depend on the user too, since DoctorWho seems okay with it. Hopefully they will release a patch if the issue gets noticed by the devs, but I somehow can't see it happening if inverted cameras aren't present in any of the other LEGO titles. Fingers crossed.

Amneisac

I certainly feel like the choice should be present for inverting controls, but I've always firmly believed that inverted controls make sense for controlling vehicles where you are essentially emulating the flight stick (as an example), but for looking you're just doing a regular up for up kind of thing.

Again, I think the choice should be there, but I prefer inverted for flying / vehicles and regular for aiming.

Rootbeer

Banned
PC version is damn beautiful. All the great lighting... I'm really impressed. Runs like silk even when running both of my monitors

Still enjoying the Vita version (for when I'm not at home :)

Already can't wait for LotR

I'm trying to imagine what LEGO game they might do next. Other than LEGO City on Wii U. Think they would do a Marvel one?

I'd love to see LEGO do a take on Ultimate Alliance. LEGO needs better combat :)

PC version is damn beautiful. All the great lighting... I'm really impressed. Runs like silk even when running both of my monitors

Still enjoying the Vita version (for when I'm not at home :)

Already can't wait for LotR

I'm trying to imagine what LEGO game they might do next. Other than LEGO City on Wii U. Think they would do a Marvel one?

I'd love to see LEGO do a take on Ultimate Alliance. LEGO needs better combat :)

I'm actually impressed by how cool Robin looks when fighting, lol.

metalshade

Well, in that case I can understand. For someone like me who's never so much got in a plane or played flight simulators it's pretty easy to adapt. I guess it does depend on the user too, since DoctorWho seems okay with it. Hopefully they will release a patch if the issue gets noticed by the devs, but I somehow can't see it happening if inverted cameras aren't present in any of the other LEGO titles. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your support guys, sorry if I got defensive, but I find that inverted people tend to get beaten down(or is it up) LOL!
I certainly would appreciate the option.
And I am jealous of those of you who don't have any issue at all, that's great, and I wish it was me!
What confuses me is that when the game is in traditional sideways view mode, the camera on the right stick IS inverted, but as some as you get to an open world part, its normal.

EagleEyes

Thanks for your support guys, sorry if I got defensive, but I find that inverted people tend to get beaten down(or is it up) LOL!
I certainly would appreciate the option.
And I am jealous of those of you who don't have any issue at all, that's great, and I wish it was me!
What confuses me is that when the game is in traditional sideways view mode, the camera on the right stick IS inverted, but as some as you get to an open world part, its normal.
have you set your system settings on your Xbox 360 for inverted controls? Maybe that would help in the open world sections. You got me kinda worried now as I was going to pick this up this weekend.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
JXN7FJ: :Vine Grapples (PS3, XBOX, Wii and PC/MAC)
RYD3SJ: :peril Finder (PS3, XBOX, Wii and PC/MAC)
Q285LK: :Riddler Goon (PS3, XBOX, Wii, PC/MAC, Nintendo DS, 3DS and PS VITA)
C79LVH: :Harley Quinn's Bike (PS3, XBOX, Wii and PC/MAC)

metalshade

have you set your system settings on your Xbox 360 for inverted controls? Maybe that would help in the open world sections. You got me kinda worried now as I was going to pick this up this weekend.
Yeah system settings to inverted.
I have contacted the dev to see what they have to say.
I will post when I have a response.

Sqorgar

Banned
I'm assuming that when you are doing these things, you are using a flight stick and not a PS3 controller. I really wouldn't worry about it.

I used to be invert only back in the FPS days, but there are a few games, like Deus Ex and Star Wars Galaxies, which had inventory modes where the mouse vertical motion would suddenly become uninverted, so I changed my scheme for those games. It was confusing to switch vertical orientation every time I opened a menu, so I bared my teeth and grumbled my way through it. Now, I've gotten so used to both formats that I can play either without a second thought. I just use whatever the default is and never give it a second thought.

Only thing that screws with me now is inverted third-person camera controls, especially inverted horizontal. Who taps left to rotate clockwise around a character?

EagleEyes

Well I just tried the PC demo and the controls are indeed fully customizable including inverted controls so I will definitely be picking that version up this weekend.

metalshade

Well I just tried the PC demo and the controls are indeed fully customizable including inverted controls so I will definitely be picking that version up this weekend.
So there is some glimmer of hope that it can be done then.
I know it is not an issue for some, but for myself and quite a few others, probably wouldn't have even bought the game had we known.

Guzim

Speaking of Amazon, has anyone NOT received their Heroes DLC code? I sure haven't even though I did get the $10 off code.

Do you have a GMail account? I do, and it sent the Heroes DLC code, and I didn't see the $10 off code. But then in the same email it said, there's another message from Amazon.com

Do you have a GMail account? I do, and it sent the Heroes DLC code, and I didn't see the $10 off code. But then in the same email it said, there's another message from Amazon.com

My amazon account is registered with my ISP email address. Guess I'll just give customer service a call today.

BY2K

Membero Americo
How in the hell is the absence of inverted camera controls a deal breaker for anyone?

Even if it was for the flying vehicles, you'd get used to it.

metalshade

Slowly raises hand.

I have a theory that the amount of inversion a player likes is directly proportional to how old a geezer that player is. Perhaps I'm wrong, but !ORB, EFIL ROF SDETREVNI

That certainly does seem to be true actually.
I only invert vertically, but I can see how horizontal invert could work for some.

And yes, not including invert support is game breaking to me, it means I have to fight my automatic reaction. so everything I do is clumsy, slow, and inaccurate.

I've been playing the Vita version most of the day and I have to say that it's pretty damn enjoyable. Yes, it lacks open world. Yes, it has horribly compressed FMVs from the console/pc version.

But the core gameplay is fun. Each level is an abbreviated version of the console/pc experience complete with hidden collectibles and objectives that can only be completed in free play using other characters.I've almost through the storyline campaign,
at Wayne Towers
, and I'll check out the Justice League Arena missions when I'm through.

Now I did only rent it from Gamefly and side stepped the $40 entrance fee. But once this title hits $30 or less I highly recommend it to anyone who's looking for a fun experience on the go.

TheFallen

DC lost the Captain Marvel trademark to Marvel. So while the character himself is called Captain Marvel within the comics/shows/games. Captain Marvel can't be used as a title on anything.
That's how it was prior to the New 52. The character was renamed to Shazam this past year.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
minifig
Hawkman, Black Manta, Sinestro, Gorilla Grodd, ClayFace, and Black Adam
are the cutest things on the planet.

newsguy

I bought the 360 version yesterday and it's amazing. I have a question about the portable versions, I'm aware they aren't open world, but do they follow the same story beats? I want to get the vita version when I beat my backlog but if it's the same exact storyline it's not worth playing again.

Rootbeer

Banned
Video plz.

Also does anyone have any footage of Damian? I'm wondering if he's in his Robin gettup or his white Batman RIP suit.
He is in his new 52 Robin suit. Bad news: it's just a skin for tim drake robin, not a new character. Yes, it is total bullshit. They are not the same person!

I bought the 360 version yesterday and it's amazing. I have a question about the portable versions, I'm aware they aren't open world, but do they follow the same story beats? I want to get the vita version when I beat my backlog but if it's the same exact storyline it's not worth playing again.
i'm about 1/3 through the Vita version. Played about an hour of the PC version. They are the same story, same cut scenes, only the portable versions are somewhat abbreviated (no dialog sequences in-game, only in the cut-scenes). The levels are similar too but also somewhat simplified, or at times leave out some things.

It sucks but I still think they are fun for what they are.

By the time you are done with the 360 version maybe you can get the 3DS/Vita for $20 or so -- for that price I think they are a great bargain.

Top Bottom