• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

KPunk

is this game out in retail stores today? i have a $50 dollar giftcard for shitstop but amazon seems to have a 2+ week delay on delivery on this game trying to figure it out and to early to call local stores.

there is some truth to that, but you really have to get them to admit that the game should have never been priced at $60 when the retail price was $50 - and then for them to correct the eShop price. they have to be able to answer why the DD price is more expensive... of course, i guess, they can always say, "that's the price." ~_~

I explained to the dude any other store would have price matched even after checkout
told him my download is at 50% if Nintendo screws me on this after downloading 20 plus games on eShop I really should think twice about them in the future

I can't believe he said those are suggested retail prices that all those stores chose 49 but eShop is $59 and I agreed to it at checkout

can't believe they want to fight me on it... so someone higher up is to email me in a day or two

Ouch.

I uh... suspect I won't be waiting for day 1 digital downloads ever. I'd planned to go physical-only anyway but snafus like this only further encourage me.

yeah I got screwed failed to see it coming

so anyway my plan to get NFS is screwed because this game was suppose to be $10 cheaper so can't play that tomorrow got to wait and see

this should have been $59 I would have planned for it better did the eShop download Press Release for this have a Price?

While having the price above retail is absolutely not okay, you should never make a purchase at an incorrect price and assume whoever you bought it from will correct the price for you later. Yes, it can happen, but assuming it will isn't a good idea.

I'm way behind on this thread, but am I right in hearing this game isn't actually a big open world? What is this game then?

It's split up into 17 "regions." And these regions are quite small (comparatively to games like Just Cause 2 or GTA: San Andreas). But there's free roam if you don't want to go on missions, and it takes a while to get around all of them.

deviljho

I can't believe he said those are suggested retail prices that all those stores chose 49 but eShop is $59 and I agreed to it at checkout

While having the price above retail is absolutely not okay, you should never make a purchase at an incorrect price and assume whoever you bought it from will correct the price for you later. Yes, it can happen, but assuming it will isn't a good idea.

right. you need to get them to admit that they made an error pricing the game and then change the price on the eshop. otherwise, the chance for a credit is nonexistent.

But were assuming that it's 50 msrp. Could just be retailers are discounting it

it's a pretty wacky situation, the way it is. you don't see retailers moving lock-step to do this for $60 msrp games often

It's split up into 17 "regions." And these regions are quite small (comparatively to games like Just Cause 2 or GTA: San Andreas). But there's free roam if you don't want to go on missions, and it takes a while to get around all of them.

you also need certain disguises to gain access to some things around the city

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Looking at Amazon's page, it says "Ships within 2 to 3 weeks". I can't understand why Nintendo decided to launch this on a Monday, since we know there are problems in having stock on Monday for them. The 3DS title comes out on a Sunday, why can't be the same for this?

Akira_83

Banned

wait wat?

so if i choose free roam i cant just run around the entire map in one sitting without a loading screen?

17 different regions? is there loading between them like GTA 3 as you cross to certain areas? or is it like Monster Hunter where you run to linear areas that transition to the next?

either way complete fail

i was looking for this to be my GTA fix on the wiiu

Pitmonkey

Woke up at 8:30am (7 hours after initial start) and the download stopped at 34%. Restarted with out issue, but it's safe to say this wont be a fun experience.

deviljho

Looking at Amazon's page, it says "Ships within 2 to 3 weeks". I can't understand why Nintendo decided to launch this on a Monday, since we know there are problems in having stock on Monday for them. The 3DS title comes out on a Sunday, why can't be the same for this?

NewEgg is listing the game as sold out now but my order has yet to be processed.

lol, get this shit together

Potential Shipping Delay
Delivery of Lego City: Undercover pre-orders may be affected by manufacturer shipping delays . Amazon apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause.

Kouriozan

Stock problem, again? >.<
Glad I pre-ordered it last month for the PAL release but I'm still a bit worried.
Same for Fire Emblem.

if it was discounted amazon would have shown $59.99 but show that you are saving $10

List Price: $49.99
Price: $49.96
You Save: $0.03

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I0K3PM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

that is what I saw for weeks so I added $100 to my eShop to get this and use the DDP codes I have to get NFS on the 19th

ShockingAlberto is right I should have paid attention to this

Nintendo guy tried to tell me the price is higher because my digital stuff is protected for theft unlike retail I said dude I've been up 9 hours and the download just now hit 50% you want to charge extra for that shit?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nintendo's first release since launch and they might be effing it up? Shocked.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Thanks for the info even if it is a massive bummer.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Nintendo's first release since launch and they might be effing it up? Shocked.

Maybe I'm too quick to judge, but it seems like that not only is Nintendo doing the *nudge nudge buy digital verison please" by having a scarce retail presence for Undercover, they also are trying to pull an extra $10 out of consumers. It's like Nintendo saw how well Awakening did because of their little stunt, and instead of fixing the shipments problems, they decided to take advantage of the situation even more, consumers be damned.

That is some EA-level of fucked up there.

d1rtn4p

Hummm... Preordered a few weeks ago from Newegg and looks like they are sold out now. They processed and shipped my Monster Hunter order, but this one still shows as a pending pre-order. Wonder if it's just gonna shoot straight to backordered at this point.

Maybe I'm too quick to judge, but it seems like that not only is Nintendo doing the *nudge nudge buy digital verison please" by having a scarce retail presence for Undercover, they also are trying to pull an extra $10 out of consumers. It's like Nintendo saw how well Awakening did because of their little stunt, and instead of fixing the shipments problems, they decided to take advantage of the situation even more, consumers be damned.

EA level Backlash would be needed

I doubt this is what happened here but it is fishy that they can't get retail supply ready for dates they have set themselves

right now I feel as good about Nintendo as I do about EA this is the first time Nintendo personally burned me because if I saw the price before I clicked the button I would have put LCU on hold and get NFS now the game I wanted more is the one delayed due to missing funds

BY2K

Membero Americo

Quick to accusations, are we?

B-Dex

I had it on PO from local eb games. Their website lists it as in stock so here's hoping they have it today. I didn't get a call to pick it up yesterday though.

Mpl90

Considering nor Luigi neither Pokémon have the label on Amazon about possible problems of shipment (releasing on Sunday), while Lego had that since weeks ago, I'd say I fear you're jumping to conclusions here.

Cronq

Banned

Nintendo can't afford to play that kind of game, not with the Wii U on life support. If they botch this launch then they are literally doomed. They can't worry about profits just yet, they need do to increase their sales numbers or the little support they have will vanish over night.

I'm such a derp. Set it to download and went to bed but FORGOT to tell it to power down after completing the download. Woke up at 3 AM and checked...Wii U was off. Turned it on again and ONCE MORE neglected to tell it to turn off after completing the download because I was 75% still asleep. It's hopefully downloading now while I'm at work.

P.S. I'm NOT looking forward to waiting for it to install. Nope.

That's a little disappointing considering the poor load times. I'll wait for a few more impressions.

This is what I'm thinking too. It saves them not just on manufacturing and shipping but also with so few copies at retail there's no chance for bomba price dropping or massive trade-ins.

It's a win-win for Nintendo but I really didn't have an issue with it until this new development of raising the eShop price. Weren't they doing this in Japan also with 3DS downloads?

Effect

Hummm... Preordered a few weeks ago from Newegg and looks like they are sold out now. They processed and shipped my Monster Hunter order, but this one still shows as a pending pre-order. Wonder if it's just gonna shoot straight to backordered at this point.

My Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate order from Amazon.com is in the shipping soon phase as well.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I really wished I never read your post.

I can't tell if you agreeing or disagreeing with me....

EA level Backlash would be needed

I doubt this is what happened here but it is fishy that they can't get retail supply ready for dates they have set themselves

right now I feel as good about Nintendo as I do about EA this is the first time Nintendo personally burned me because if I saw the price before I clicked the button I would have put LCU on hold and get NFS now the game I wanted more is the one delayed due to missing funds

Nintendo usually has good customer service so I assume they will eventually give you at least eShop credit for the difference, but if not then yes that is fucked up. If the price is going to be different compared to the retail price then a heads up should have been given in the PR statement.

Quick to accusations, are we?

Well yes, I even alluded to that possibility with the first sentence of my post "maybe I am too quick to judge", but usually where there is smoke, there is fire.

Mpl90

Guys, up until now Nintendo always priced digital versions of titles according to the retail price. What you've heard of "price superior to retail" is that online sites like Amazon let you preorder games at a lower price compared to retail (example: 3DS titles are 29.99 Pounds on Amazon, but in many retail places they're 39.99, and that's the price on the eShop). This would be actually the first time Nintendo prices a digital version of a game 10$ higher than retail price, and that seems VERY strange. I think it's an error that needs to be addressed on the Miiverse community explaining that LCU's retail price (like ALL other Lego titles) is 50$, not 60$, as they can see on all stores, online or retail.

Effect

sounds like from my call the price was no mistake they meant it to be $59.99

That doesn't sound right at all. It's not like the other retailers were discounting the game. The list price changed for everyone from $59.99 to $49.99 about two months ago I think. Then Amazon discounted it a few cents to $49.96 like they do all their games.

jmls1121

Banned
So my internet decided to be crappy last night and I wake up to find an error message in the download managament section.

So I closed out of download management, went back to the page, and it has started downloading again. It was only at 2%

What is this? If the internet has a hiccup, the WiiU will display an error message and stop downloading altogether? Its going to take me 30 days to download this thing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Before jumping to conclusions about Nintendo rigging shipments to increase e-shop sales* I would actually worry that these shipment problems are more a sign that Nintendo is legitimately scared about how things are going. And they're now pulling back, trying to cut every possible corner - like not printing as many copies as they normally would, using slower, cheaper shipment methods.

It's true they've got the eshop to fall back on, but even if it's not a conspiracy it makes things look bad for them in entirely different ways.

*funny enough, such theories echo the 1988 when reporters in the US covering the great NES cartridge shortage helped circulate theories that Nintendo was holding games back to create frenzy. Later claimed to be in fact due to a shortage in production of rom chips, which is actually believable. We understand now how expensive memory was for too long, and the wild popularity of the NES would be a sure thing to strain supply.

Top Bottom