• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

That doesn't sound right at all. It's not like the other retailers were discounting the game. The list price changed for everyone from $59.99 to $49.99 about two months ago I think. Then Amazon discounted it a few cents to $49.96 like they do all their games.

just saying how the call went I agree with you I've watched that price because I wanted this game day 1

deviljho

It's true they've got the eshop to fall back on, but even if it's not a conspiracy it makes things look bad for them in entirely different ways.

I agree with the vague idea of "cutting corners," but I don't think they'd do this intentionally with retail shipments. They know they have to start building momentum and undershipping is not conducive to that. Plus, they have to keep printing copies of the game anyway. It's not like they will do a limited run and end, so there is no benefit in trying to save money like that.

I can't tell if you agreeing or disagreeing with me....

It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. It's the thought of associating Nintendo's business practices with EA's makes me want to vomit.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Thanks guys! Lol that was annoying me.. should be somewhere on the main page as well!

It is, bottom right. :p

Edit: actually you might be right, I'm away from the WiiU but I vaguely remember one of the home buttons not being on the main menu...

sammex

It's hilarious how people think that Nintendo have an evil plan to screw you out of money by limiting the supply and jacking up eshop prices when it's far more likely they've messed up on the sales expectations and made a conservative estimate for demand like with Fire Emblem. Eshop has always been more expensive than retail.

According to my local GameStop the release date is tomorrow and they "might" start getting the game in stock today. Nintendo really knows how to fuck this stuff up.

Skiesofwonder

It's hilarious how people think that Nintendo have an evil plan to screw you out of money by limiting the supply and jacking up eshop prices when it's far more likely they've messed up on the sales expectations and made a conservative estimate for demand like with Fire Emblem. Eshop has always been more expensive than retail.

A. No, it hasn't been.

B. Lego is a little wee more popular than Fire Emblem.

KPunk

According to my local GameStop the release date is tomorrow and they "might" start getting the game in stock today. Nintendo really knows how to fuck this stuff up.

i pretty much just heard the same thing. i also was told "very limited quantity". I'm trying to use this $50 dollar giftcard. Might have to just wait for Bioshock.

Ridley327

After the sales data was revealed in the thread about how the previous Fire Emblem games did, I don't think Nintendo screwed up as far as the initial shipment was concerned. Where they messed up at was not realizing sooner just how starved 3DS owners have been, especially after the anemic fall lineup that the system just had, hence a far greater demand for the game than it would have gotten under normal circumstances. I get the feeling that something similar is in play for LCU, which in my opinion exists only because Nintendo really values their relationship with WB Games.

I mentioned this in the Fire Emblem thread early on, before it was totally buried by all the complaints about this "conspiracy theory," and from the perspective of someone that's worked at retail for a decade now, seeing Nintendo stick to soft street dates for "lower rung" titles is nothing new at all, and they've been doing it since at least the days of the Gamecube, and I'm sure earlier than that, even. Even Kirby, which most people would agree is a pretty well-known franchise, isn't big enough for Nintendo to send copies ahead of time.

That's a little disappointing considering the poor load times. I'll wait for a few more impressions.

I don't think that's an impression...I'm not sure anyone could play that game and call the explorable regions in the open world "large."

I feel like the size of the regions are stymied by the Wii U's limited hardware (Gotta keep that streaming tech under control). It's times like these that I really wish Nintendo would have invested in more robust tech.

Jon

I don't understand...don't all games come out to major retailers on Wednesday? I've pre-ordered plenty of games and they've all shown up on Wednesday. I know Nintendo does Sunday launches sometimes, but I've only seen that when I happened to be in NYC on a Sunday at the Nintendo World Store.

Any time I get a game earlier than a Wednesday I consider it a lucky bonus.

sammex

A. No, it hasn't been.

B. Lego is a little wee more popular than Fire Emblem.

Have you got an example of when a game has been cheaper on eshop than retail? I've had a wii U since day 1 in the UK and they've always been at least £5 to £10 cheaper retail on the release date.

deviljho

I feel like the size of the regions are stymied by the Wii U's limited hardware. (Gotta keep that streaming tech under control). It's times like these that I really wish Nintendo would have invested in more robust tech.

Well... now you're just spreading your ignorant opinion.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Have you got an example of when a game has been cheaper on eshop than retail? I've had a wii U since day 1 in the UK and they've always been at least £5 to £10 cheaper retail on the release date.

He's probably speaking on the North American eShop. In NA they have always mirrored MSRP / retail price. Obviously retail price will fall faster than eShop price, especially used titles.

Skiesofwonder

Maybe the UK is different, but I bought both NSMB2 and Awakening on launch day digitally for the same as the suggested retail price ($39.99).

I don't think that's an impression...I'm not sure anyone could play that game and call the explorable regions in the open world "large."

I feel like the size of the regions are stymied by the Wii U's limited hardware (Gotta keep that streaming tech under control). It's times like these that I really wish Nintendo would have invested in more robust tech.

So you think Xbox 360 and Ps3 can stream and load a massive city but wiiU can't? No WiiU is a more powerful system than both. It's just the dev and how they made the game

the point is amazon shows a 3cent discount not a $10 one

I've paid $59.99 and $49.99 on eShop before from Nintendo published software

one other game I remember discounted on eShop was TEKKEN

the thing is once you buy on eShop prices are gone since you own it so I can't tell you for sure the exact price but I purchased a lot from eShop this never was the case before unless you could see the price cut at retail it showed what you saved for amazon to only show 3cents means the real price really was $49.99

if you save $10 at amazon they would want to brag about $10 not 3cents

Effect

They really should just stick to their Sunday release day. Things always seem to go bad when they deviate from it. I'm glad that Luigi's Mansion is being released on a Sunday.

BioHazard

stopped in at a local GS and he said there is pretty much no street date anymore and hopefully they will get them by this Friday. I will try BB after work.

deviljho

Then enlighten me, Mitt Romney. :p

I know it's Tt Fusion's fault. It's just a feeling that they had problems with the tech, that's all. An uneducated, unsubstantiated feeling.

I'm not interested in talking about other devs qualifications or how they relate to certain hardware. And I never said "it" was TT Fusion's fault, whatever "it" is. You stated your opinion. I simply made an effort to point out that it was conjecture. Because I don't really see the reason or value of stating conjecture when you don't have a Wii U devkit or have never worked on a Wii U game, let alone Lego City. So you're criticizing the hardware based on some feeling and then trying to relate that to the "lack" of open-world expansiveness. To what end?

Fact is, if a person can appreciate and have fun with this game, that's enough. If they can't because it's not "open" enough, then that's their choice. If you want to say that the game isn't as open-world as you thought or hoped, then that opinion would be received in a better light if you left it at that. And I don't see how it's fair to criticize TT either.

Double D

My kids have really been looking forward to this and I haven't paid much attention to anything surrounding this game. I just assumed I'd get it for them like every other Lego game released before it. Only now have I just discovered that it has no co-op. They are going to be super disappointed.

Ridley327

how did they manage to limit this software release like this? Is this Xenoblade will it be $200 on eBay

Noooooooooo, I'm being ignored again:

I mentioned this in the Fire Emblem thread early on, before it was totally buried by all the complaints about this "conspiracy theory," and from the perspective of someone that's worked at retail for a decade now, seeing Nintendo stick to soft street dates for "lower rung" titles is nothing new at all, and they've been doing it since at least the days of the Gamecube, and I'm sure earlier than that, even. Even Kirby, which most people would agree is a pretty well-known franchise, isn't big enough for Nintendo to send copies ahead of time.

I'm not interested in talking about other devs qualifications or how they relate to certain hardware. And I never said "it" was TT Fusion's fault, whatever "it" is. You stated your opinion. I simply made an effort to point out that it was conjecture. Because I don't really see the reason or value of stating conjecture when you don't have a Wii U devkit or have never worked on a Wii U game, let alone Lego City. So you're criticizing the hardware based on some feeling and then trying to relate that to the "lack" of open-world expansiveness. To what end?

Fact is, if a person can appreciate and have fun with this game, that's enough. If they can't because it's not "open" enough, then that's their choice. If you want to say that the game isn't as open-world as you thought or hoped, then that opinion would be received in a better light if you left it at that.

Come on now...this whole damn forum is all about conjecture. People state their uneducated feelings and opinions all the time.

Lots of pop-in, laggy at times, and long load times, especially when returning to the city. That's what I've experienced. That indicates Tt Fusion probably had issues when developing for the Wii U.

Did they limit the size of the regions based on those issues? Could it have been bigger? I don't know. It FEELS like they did. But that's just my uneducated opinion. :p

I'm having a blast with the game. Do I care that its open-worldness doesn't even approach the likes of Just Cause 2? Not at all. It's still a really, really fun game.

Maybe I'm too quick to judge, but it seems like that not only is Nintendo doing the *nudge nudge buy digital verison please" by having a scarce retail presence for Undercover, they also are trying to pull an extra $10 out of consumers. It's like Nintendo saw how well Awakening did because of their little stunt, and instead of fixing the shipments problems, they decided to take advantage of the situation even more, consumers be damned.

That is some EA-level of fucked up there.

This is what I'm thinking too. It saves them not just on manufacturing and shipping but also with so few copies at retail there's no chance for bomba price dropping or massive trade-ins.

It's a win-win for Nintendo but I really didn't have an issue with it until this new development of raising the eShop price. Weren't they doing this in Japan also with 3DS downloads?

No way in hell they pull this with a NINETEEN GIGABYTE download.

Ridley327

I don't think it ever had a chance to begin with.

There's just too much competition this month. It could still do OK regardless, but charting in a month that sees a new God of War, Gears of War, Tomb Raider, and Sim City, on top of holdovers from the previous month just isn't going to happen.

I have to say, I've always written off LEGO-themed games because I played LEGO Star Wars on GameCube and it was just really boring to me. So I just naturally thought this would be bad, too.

But the reviews are surprisingly positive and it looks like there is a lot of fun stuff to do. When I eventually get a Wii U for Wind Waker and 3D Mario I will probably pick this up if it gets a price drop later in the year.

Top Bottom