• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

I need that every DD service including consoles use the approach of download before it is released, then unlock the game the day of release. I remember I did this for Half Life 2 in the early days of steam, and it was awesome.

Also need to know how much space Lego City will require. I also hope for <10GB downoad.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Eurogamer review is good. 9/10. Makes Edge's review seem really odd.

Hm, odd that Edge's review is appearing to be such an outlier. Really looking forward to this game.

Also, Poo, I don't think you made your sarcasm obvious enough. :p

Game looks solid, maybe a tad less cool than I thought but I will pick it up one day for sure.

I wish it had Off Tv play but that's about my only complaint and I will probably wish for that in every game even though it's not realistic.

After the Edge review I was starting to have doubts, but that Eurogamer review has totally renewed my enthusiasm for this title - really looking forward to it!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
After reading the recent reviews, I am concerned about the following:
- load times
- shorter campaign then expected
- Eurogamer acts as if the Gamerpad usage is nothing special
- Gamereactor acts as if a grown-up buying this game solely for themselves might want to reconsider the purchase
- me personally not being a big fan of previous Lego games

I'm still on the fence....

After reading the recent reviews, I am concerned about the following:
- load times
- shorter campaign then expected
- Eurogamer acts as if the Gamerpad usage is nothing special
- Gamereactor acts as if a grown-up buying this game solely for themselves might want to reconsider the purchase
- me personally not being a big fan of previous Lego games

I'm still on the fence....

I think your last point should give you pause more than the other ones.

load times are the only thing making me feel :/ about this, but oh well.

I just hate that if i buy it for $50 day 1, will it get a price down a week or two after, like other recent games.

i hope amazon can price match that.

Skiesofwonder

I think your last point should give you pause more than the other ones.

I should clarify that I am mostly talking about the Star Wars Lego games that didn't have voice acting and mostly took place in small corridors. I have yet to play any of the Batman, Potter, or LOTR games.

But yeah, it has me second guessing a purchase for sure.

I should clarify that I am mostly talking about the Star Wars Lego games that didn't have voice acting and mostly took place in small corridors. I have yet to play any of the Batman, Potter, or LOTR games.

But yeah, it has me second guessing a purchase for sure.

Would a demo help or for a robust-ish game be a moot point???

majik13

Yeah of course, but I doubt we get one (at least not anytime close to the release date). :/

yeah nintendo usually never has demos for their own games. Wasnt Fire Emblem their only demo? I know this is only published by them. But I cant think of any nintendo published demos off the top of my head either. I am sure someone will correct me though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
qItwguf.jpg

:smug:

Skiesofwonder

yeah nintendo usually never has demos for their own games. Wasnt Fire Emblem their only demo? I know this is only published by them. But I cant think of any nintendo published demos off the top of my head either. I am sure someone will correct me though.

Brain Age: Concentration Training and Pokemon Mystery Duengeon also have demos on the Eshop, but yeah it is a small minority. Maybe the recent trends point to them changing their ways though.

I expect some hands-on impressions tonight! :p

That Eurogamer review was positively sparkling! Interesting gameplay with witty humor and references galore (a Goodfellas reference?! heck yeah!)? Yes please!

I really can't wait to get my hands on the game!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Comparing the text of Edge and Eurogamer directly, highlights why we have got to get over seeking "word of god" judgements in game reviews.

To be fair to Edge, they linger on most of the same flaws Eurogamer does:

- There's some popin and framerate stutter
- Load times
- Slightly wacky vehicle behavior
- Slightly slippery camera and platforming

Those are objective criticisms.

On the other hand, what comes down to pure opinion:

Edge: this Lego stuff is too bland and laid back for me, kids will love it, but no thanks.

Eurogamer: how delightful, so many things to see, do, and play with, and even collecting bricks is addictive due to a new kind of reward for Lego games.

I think Edge's numerical score is too low; it's spun that way because the writer is so utterly disinterested in getting into the game or the theme. But the difference between the reviews is simple: one person found the game charming, the other did not.

Eurogamer's review does make me optimistic: I do like the Lego games, and find them relaxing fun to sit down with and spend time. I had hoped TT had taken advantage of the budget, dev time, and freedom of no license to come up with some new ideas. The stuff like super bricks sounds like they did. Also, Eurogamer rightly points out Lego games tend to be packed with little things to see and fiddle with everywhere. This one sounds like they packed a lot in, with items, secrets, and mini-games all about the place.

So I'm good to go, personally.

ikioi

Banned
Disapointing to hear the frame rate and draw distances are pretty average at times.

Does sound indeed like the Wii U is pretty under powered.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Disapointing to hear the frame rate and draw distances are pretty average at times.

Does sound indeed like the Wii U is pretty under powered.

Sadly, situations like this will do nothing to dispel that impression.

The problem here is that TT may not be a good developer to show off powerful engines that perform well. Their console builds of Lego games don't have blazing framerates or great draw distance, especially Batman 2 with its open world.

bryanee

Metro - 7/10

http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/14/lego-city-undercover-review-under-construction-3541665/

In design terms this is as good as anything TT Games has come up with, but on a technical level it seems held back by either the Wii U itself or the developer’s inexperience working with it. We don’t know which it is but as it is this is not the game to save Nintendo’s home console. It’s likely to have a much more positive influence on future Lego games though, and it even has a thing or two to teach Grand Theft Auto.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Only played about an hour, and it's a blast. Seeing LEGO sets come to life is a lot of fun, especially passing the Grand Emporium on the first mission. Voice acting is appropriately over the top. I don't know if it's a game that's going to draw in people who haven't enjoyed past LEGO games, but it's certainly a treat for those who have.

My only complaint so far would be initial load times at the start. They're long, and annoying.

Top Bottom