• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

MarkusRJR

I have the strangest interest in this game. I don't even like the Lego brand but the idea of a cartoon-inspired GTA is really appealing to me. Most open world games are coated in a layer of reality (apart from Saints Row). Hopefully it turns out good.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Who was the user who said, after Edge's review "Eh, I knew this would have been shit!"? Now I want him to come back after these 9, 8 and 8.2. A bit of coherence, come on.

Dawg

Kinda hoping the game will be filled with ninty extra's like a playable link lego figure and maybe a hidden f-zero ship? (The open world city in lego batman had a villain's spaceship for example).

So many possibilities.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Kinda hoping the game will be filled with ninty extra's like a playable link lego figure and maybe a hidden f-zero ship? (The open world city in lego batman had a villain's spaceship for example).

So many possibilities.

I know that there are Nintendo related secret characters/models. But I preferred to skip the spoiler. And aside there are also Nintendo related "tips" like the "fly with the chicken", the green warp, the castle..

JoeM86

Disapointing to hear the frame rate and draw distances are pretty average at times.

Does sound indeed like the Wii U is pretty under powered.

And yet, for Need for Speed, they managed a stable framerate with a better draw distance and stronger graphics than the 360/PS3 versions.

Yep, clearly it's the Wii U, nothing to do with the developer...

Hermii

Yep, this is obviously close to what the WiiU can achieve in terms of graphics.

Obviously ? Why ? Cause Lego games are known to push their host consoles to the limit ?

Wait for 3D Mario or Retros game footage before you make that comment.

Sendou

Well the Edge review continues to be the odd one out. As long as it continues to be this way this game will definitely be on my to-buy list.

dwu8991

Banned
I hate when people say this. Are you saying that what the Edge reviewer experienced is wrong and invalid? People loved Dragon Age, and that was a 5 at best to me. If he experienced a 5, he experienced a 5.

It's already one of the best Wii U games out there !

Nope, the reviewer is wrong and is rightfully called out for it.

deviljho

I hate when people say this. Are you saying that what the Edge reviewer experienced is wrong and invalid? People loved Dragon Age, and that was a 5 at best to me. If he experienced a 5, he experienced a 5.

Edge is gave it the same score as Aliens: CM. So, if the reviewer felt like giving it a 5, people can still discredit his review. We are applying our own individual judgment to the relevance of the review. Saying it is "wrong" doesn't invalidate that the score is his opinion to which he is entitled. Edge hates all LEGO games. Look at their scores.

Shadders

I can't believe this doesn't have multiplayer. I only found that out in the Eurogamer review, luckily, there's enough time left to cancel my pre-order.

What the hell were TT thinking?

CoolS

I can't believe this doesn't have multiplayer. I only found that out in the Eurogamer review, luckily, there's enough time left to cancel my pre-order.

Here a quote from the interview at Nintendolife:

NL: We understand that this is single-player. Was that an early decision, as co-op is a big feature in the licensed games?

Loz Doyle: Well, the thing is it’s just too hard (laughs) with this sort of game, if you’re always considering two players. We did actually consider two players for a long time: we had to think about how one player would start a story mission if the other player was at the other end of the city, would all of the vehicles have to have two seats? So, how do we re-design all of the vehicles so they still look cool? You’d have to have non-GamePad versions and a Wii Remote version, it didn’t seem like a natural fit for two player.

Lee Barber: Very messy.

Loz Doyle: Yeah. And we’ve got one strong lead character. If we had a second playable character who would they be? Player two would never want to play as a non-Chase character. It didn’t work on a lot of levels.

GRW810

Remember when people were capable of playing games on their own?

Shadders

Thanks for the link, but I'm not buying his answers. All of those problems were present in Lego Batman 2. Someone would have to play a non-Chase character? Create another character then, that's within your remit, you're creating the universe!

In Lego Batman you couldn't both sit in one vehicle, and an individual could trigger a mission, it would just pull the other player in.

I'd been looking forward to this, but there's no way I'd buy it now, I've played literally every single Lego game to completion in co-op.

How disappointing.

Johnson81

Neo Member
Reading comments, not just from here but around various sites, why do people compare frame-rate/load times etc with the current generation? The Wii U is barely 4 months old and dev's have had a relatively short time to get to grips with the system.

The PS360 are 8 years old, so dev's have had time to familiarise themselves with the systems. As long as the frame rate doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game, who cares.

Coolwhip

Banned
So far not really the scores I hoped for. This is a game backed by Nintendo after all. Why did they accept the long load times?

I hate when people say this. Are you saying that what the Edge reviewer experienced is wrong and invalid?

If a reviewer has a very special taste his review has no worth, at least not on a mainstream magazine like EDGE. A reviewer should at least try to be objective. If you look at the positive and negative sides of Lego City it is not possible to give this game such a low score, at least not if you like open world games.

And obviously the EDGE reviewer has a very special taste if he hates Lego City, because all other reviewers seems to like the game. He should post his review on a site like "why I hate lego games" but not in a mainstream video magazine.

On the other hand, EDGE has a long history to make "special" reviews for games to get some attention. And this review seems another one.

That maybe the game is good and can be enjoyed single player, and that maybe not all Lego games have to have the same exact modes. Give it a chance.
Remember when people were capable of playing games on their own?

I'm still getting the game, but this seriously disappointed me. As soon as I got the Wii U I thought about how awesome a Lego co-op game would be. I love Lego co-op but always disliked the split screen. Then this game is announced and I couldn't imagine anything more perfect. And then there's no co-op :(. Again, I'll still pick it up, but I'm hoping there's a sequel with co-op.

CoolS

So far not really the scores I hoped for. This is a game backed by Nintendo after all. Why did they accept the long load times?

So far it seems to be getting more 8s than 7s. Did people really expect anything else?

Even IF it's backed by Nintendo (and we still don't know that for sure or to what extend it is) it's still a LEGO game.

sammex

From the reviews so far this sounds like a solid 8/10 game which is about what I was expecting. Long load times are disappointing but I can live with it. I wish we didn't have to wait an extra week over here for the EU release though.

EDarkness

I'm still getting the game, but this seriously disappointed me. As soon as I got the Wii U I thought about how awesome a Lego co-op game would be. I love Lego co-op but always disliked the split screen. Then this game is announced and I couldn't imagine anything more perfect. And then there's no co-op :(. Again, I'll still pick it up, but I'm hoping there's a sequel with co-op.

Well, other LEGO games are coming, so you'll get your multiplayer fix on the Wii U at some point.

CoolS

From the reviews so far this sounds like a solid 8/10 game which is about what I was expecting. Long load times are disappointing but I can live with it. I wish we didn't have to wait an extra week over here for the EU release though.

What I find interesting is that different reviews say different things about the load times. IGN says they are way to frequent, while Nintendolife says they might be long but are quite infrequent. What is it people?

The Wii U version of Lego Batman 2 features Coop with TV and Gamepad and probably all future "normal" Lego Games will have this feature too.

Lego City is an exception from other Lego Games in many ways.

Dragoshi1

I am enjoying the reviews so far, high marks across the board!

Looks like I was right to preorder it and not cancel, loading times don't bother me at all. Same thing with framerate and such.

What I really want to see is the Rex vehicle in action longer than a second, and the Nintendo cameos aside from the Star and Warp Pipe.

deviljho

I'd been looking forward to this, but there's no way I'd buy it now, I've played literally every single Lego game to completion in co-op.

How disappointing.

It's your choice. If you only see it in terms of "LEGO GAME" and how all your past Lego experiences were co-op, then don't you think that you might be missing out on a good game? A game that can be fun and enjoyable single player, that just happens to be made with the Lego theme?

You haven't really offered any reason you couldn't enjoy this game outside of... "it's not like other Lego games." Does that make it not worth a chance all of a sudden?

The Wii U version of Lego Batman 2 features Coop with TV and Gamepad and probably all future "normal" Lego Games will have this feature too.

Lego City is an exception from other Lego Games in many ways.

nofi

Because I've played it all the way through.

It's not a 5/10.

Effect

From Eurogamer:

There are a few problems, but they are mostly limitations of the hardware. The draw distance and frame-rate aren't terribly solid, although this never interfered with my enjoyment of the game, and as with previous Lego titles the camera doesn't always lend itself well to precise platform jumps. With a heavy emphasis on the Wii U GamePad (see sidebar), the game also lacks any multiplayer features, which is unusual for a Lego title - it didn't bother me, but you should take it into account if that's a big part of your relationship with the series. Lego City Undercover is also guilty of some of the usual open-world genre sins, like long journeys between objectives and repetitive side missions. The biggest blemish, though, is the load times when moving between level interiors and the open world - these are weirdly long and the only time the game loses your attention, with not even a set of amusing tooltips to distract you.

That's worrisome.

It would be nice if they backed up their claim about hardware limitations. The automatic assumption of that is annoying. This is still pretty much a launch game as it was suppose to be out at launch only to be moved back. Made on incomplete devkits.

CoolS

It would be nice if they backed up their claim about hardware limitations. The automatic assumption of that is annoying. This is still pretty much a launch game as it was support to be out at launch only to be moved back. Made on incomplete devkits.

I think it also might be a limitation of their engine.

deviljho

I think it also might be a limitation of their engine.

Sure. It can be many things. But if we are discussing load times with respect to the game, then we should be considering it in the context of enjoying the game and having fun with it. If we're talking about load times with respect to Wii U hardware, then that discussion needs to happen somewhere else.

Loading times. Loading times. Loading times. Loading times. Loading times. Ammaaagaaad... I can't play this game... WTF Nintendo

*** diggs hole, throws Edge review in there ***

To all the trolls about Wii Us power, please don't stand as ignorant, I will just say that I invite you to a good read in the Latte and Wii U tech thread. I'm out.

G.O.O.

I'm good with no multiplayer... I hate when it's forced into a game that isn't centered around it, or not cleverly thought.

And I have no friends anyway.

Shadders

It's your choice. If you only see it in terms of "LEGO GAME" and how all your past Lego experiences were co-op, then don't you think that you might be missing out on a good game? A game that can be fun and enjoyable single player, that just happens to be made with the Lego theme?

Well, I've played all the previous games in co-op with my son, that's how I've enjoyed them. If I buy this then we can't do that. Either I'd have to play alone or he would, we could take it in turns, but I know he's not going to want to sit there and watch me play. Why would he?

If I'm being honest, all the Lego games are terrible, they're horribly put together, they're badly designed, have awful controls for everything that isn't running around (driving, flying etc) and they're probably the buggiest games out there. Yet I've bought and enjoyed every single one of them, because playing co-op with someone is fun.

To me, they've removed the highest value feature and they've done it for no real reason. The reasons they gave in the Nintendo Life interview are laughable. I'm actually slightly offended they think their audience is stupid enough to buy those excuses.

If you enjoyed the previous games on your own, then that's fine, I'm sure you'll enjoy this, but there's no way I could sit and play such sloppily made games on my own.

Coolwhip

Banned
I'm good with no multiplayer... I hate when it's forced into a game that isn't centered around it, or not cleverly thought.

And I have no friends anyway.

image.php

Sorry couldn't resist.

EDarkness

Well, I've played all the previous games in co-op with my son, that's how I've enjoyed them. If I buy this then we can't do that. Either I'd have to play alone or he would, we could take it in turns, but I know he's not going to want to sit there and watch me play. Why would he?

If I'm being honest, all the Lego games are terrible, they're horribly put together, they're badly designed, have awful controls for everything that isn't running around (driving, flying etc) and they're probably the buggiest games out there. Yet I've bought and enjoyed every single one of them, because playing co-op with someone is fun.

To me, they've removed the highest value feature and they've done it for no real reason. The reasons they gave in the Nintendo Life interview are laughable. I'm actually slightly offended they think their audience is stupid enough to buy those excuses.

If you enjoyed the previous games on your own, then that's fine, I'm sure you'll enjoy this, but there's no way I could sit and play such sloppily made games on my own.

How do you know this game is "sloppily made"?

Top Bottom