• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

freefornow

Disapointing to hear the frame rate and draw distances are pretty average at times.

Does sound indeed like the Wii U is pretty under powered.

Can't believe this game is already pushing the limitiations of the WiiU. It's not even that graphically impressive.

Effect

The WiiU should not be called a next gen system. It is current gen, Just!
I can see this game becoming multiplatform eventually.

Can we please hold off on this crap and the crapping up of the this OT until the game is at least out and people can play and enjoy it. There are plenty of other threads out there for you to continue with this BS.

The WiiU should not be called a next gen system. It is current gen, Just!
I can see this game becoming multiplatform eventually.
Of course it will! Nintendo would be fools to not publish it on the PS4. They just need to edit out all the Nintendo references and they're good to go.

._.

EDarkness

Seems I was right and reviews are going to be all over the place for this game. Which is fine, because based on what I've read so far the game seems to be something I'd really get into. That's all that matters to me, too. But good to see some people in this thread have the game and seem to be enjoying it. :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I was just responding to Nofi´s comment.

and I have kids..

Yes I know, and probably "would" be perfect for them (especially if they like Lego games) ;p

To someone that tried the game: how the sound works? I mean: is the sound as in ZombiU, so different audio from TV and Gamepad? If I plug headphones into the Gamepad, will I loose the TV audio track?

Can't believe this game is already pushing the limitiations of the WiiU. It's not even that graphically impressive.
I love when I get to use my most favorite gif.
iqUNtBZfFRofS.gif

Log4Girlz

From Eurogamer:

There are a few problems, but they are mostly limitations of the hardware. The draw distance and frame-rate aren't terribly solid, although this never interfered with my enjoyment of the game, and as with previous Lego titles the camera doesn't always lend itself well to precise platform jumps. With a heavy emphasis on the Wii U GamePad (see sidebar), the game also lacks any multiplayer features, which is unusual for a Lego title - it didn't bother me, but you should take it into account if that's a big part of your relationship with the series. Lego City Undercover is also guilty of some of the usual open-world genre sins, like long journeys between objectives and repetitive side missions. The biggest blemish, though, is the load times when moving between level interiors and the open world - these are weirdly long and the only time the game loses your attention, with not even a set of amusing tooltips to distract you.

That's worrisome.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/lego_city_undercover

NintendoLife gives it 8/10

It also sounds like the game has lots of replayability.

The size of the city doesn't matter; it feels appropriate to the series and we had just as much fun boosting around it in the first five minutes as we did in our 25th hour. And if you want proof that there's tons to find: we completed the main story in about 18 hours, and with a further seven hours of play on top of that our save file is still only around 30% complete.

goomba

Banned
Question:

If the WiiU blue ray drive is the cause of slow loading into 2 GB RAM , how will ps4 / xb3 fare with filling 8 GB ? Or will they just require hdd installation?

Also , Does playing WiiU games via eshop download to local storage allow faster loading ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I do wish there was coop play. Big opportunity with two screens (TV/gamepad), and Lego games are always good to play with my kids.

Log4Girlz

Well, not so worrisome considering that they gave a 9/10 to the game. I mean: it's clear that for them that issue was not a gamebreaker at all.

Well tolerance for load times varies greatly per person. I don't think any game is ruined by them unless they are very common, but it still affects the experience.

I like the Wii U and all, but tech demo's like that are only relevant if games will ever look like that on the Wii U. I've seen plenty of tech demo's on each platform, only to never achieve that kind of graphics in games.
I've never seen a tech demo for a Nintendo console that isn't met or surpassed in quality by an actual game. Whatever Retro is currently working on will probably crap all over that demo. If Capcom bothered to use their wizardry they probably could too.

Besides, the entire premise that an early gen Lego game somehow represents the true prowess of the hardware is ridiculous on the face of it.

dwu8991

Banned
From Eurogamer:

There are a few problems, but they are mostly limitations of the hardware. The draw distance and frame-rate aren't terribly solid, although this never interfered with my enjoyment of the game, and as with previous Lego titles the camera doesn't always lend itself well to precise platform jumps. With a heavy emphasis on the Wii U GamePad (see sidebar), the game also lacks any multiplayer features, which is unusual for a Lego title - it didn't bother me, but you should take it into account if that's a big part of your relationship with the series. Lego City Undercover is also guilty of some of the usual open-world genre sins, like long journeys between objectives and repetitive side missions. The biggest blemish, though, is the load times when moving between level interiors and the open world - these are weirdly long and the only time the game loses your attention, with not even a set of amusing tooltips to distract you.

That's worrisome.

MH3 has almost zero loading times and the world is just as big in 1080P.

Go figure !!!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well tolerance for load times varies greatly per person. I don't think any game is ruined by them unless they are very common, but it still affects the experience.

what I meant is that we knew about loading times, but it seems that the overall experience is very good (we are seeing a lot of 8s grades) despite them.

Has anyone here played Lego Batman 2? Even without a much bigger, busier open world, lengthy load times would be expected, unfortunate as that is.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
CVG review:

Lego City Undercover is exactly the sort of game the Wii U needs. It's a memorable jaunt - one that gamers of all ages will get a hearty chuckle from - and its colourful, comical sensibilities sum up Nintendo's ethos so wonderfully. If the Wii U gets more exclusives like this under its belt, those suggesting the console is heading for a premature end will look even more foolish.
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...er-review-a-welcome-new-wii-u-recruit-review/

Litri

The frame rate and draw distance talk is not important to me. I played GTA IV and the DLCs Lost and Damned / Ballad of Gay Tony and the frame rate was going as down as 20 fps on both PS3 and 360, mostly on the outside and i was still enjoying the game.

Also, GTA 4 has a lot of pop-in, i think the problems Lego City is facing are well known.

deviljho

I like the Wii U and all, but tech demo's like that are only relevant if games will ever look like that on the Wii U. I've seen plenty of tech demo's on each platform, only to never achieve that kind of graphics in games.

Money is why most Nintendo games won't push the Wii U's hardware. And that would have been the case with even more powerful hardware as well. Now you've started a whole new discussion, but there are threads for that.

The point was, someone commented on the Wii U's limits with respect to Lego City - and I posted a bird/garden demo. I'm out.

Top Bottom