• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

To me I use modulars as a display piece so the importance priority for me is exterior -> interior -> building process. Interiors are cool and everything but 99% of the time I'm not looking at it.

I agree 100%

I don't intend on dismantling them so it is all about the display.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's why I like the Haunted Houses (thought it dates back further than that) method of a hinge in the middle. You can display both the exterior and interior if you can walk around it.

Or you could use the Christmas sets open back approach, but you'd lose part of the completely enclosed building appeal of the modulars.

Nitemare1

So a lot of people over at Brickset seem to be up in arms about the X-Wing remake. What do you guys think?

I'm fine with it mostly because I only got back into LEGO in the last year. Gives me a chance to get my hands on something bigger I'd really love to put on display since I know my chances of getting a UCS Falcon are slim to none right now!

Honestly, I don't know why LEGO doesn't have some sort of fan favorite series where they let fans vote on old sets to put back into print. I can't imagine its a bad idea to anyone but those hardcore investor type collectors who are only in it for the return.

Considering there are no rubber bands in the new x-wing, has there been any indications of what provides the tension for keeping the wings together? Considering the large Technic beams, maybe a shock absorber?

I see people either sort out the pieces or go all the way of mixing the bags. Doesn't anyone else just do the simplest method of making each bag its own little pile of bricks? Semi sorted, semi mixed.

That's what I do. Each bag and mini-bag goes into it's own compartment in the organizer. Also fun trying to remember which pile the next brick I need is in.

At the same time, what are Lego trying to achieve? Do they want models that give you enjoyment as you build (FB, VW camper), or that are great to look at afterwards (TIE fighter, maybe town hall)

Sometimes you get both but not always

I only try to purchase sets which are both. That is why I am still vacillating on Town Hall and Grand Emporium. I will get the Pet Shop but Town Hall look like like it could be a build that is not too much fun.

I'm fine with it mostly because I only got back into LEGO in the last year. Gives me a chance to get my hands on something bigger I'd really love to put on display since I know my chances of getting a UCS Falcon are slim to none right now!

Honestly, I don't know why LEGO doesn't have some sort of fan favorite series where they let fans vote on old sets to put back into print. I can't imagine its a bad idea to anyone but those hardcore investor type collectors who are only in it for the return.

That is something I thought about. They should do something like a Kickstarter for sets where VIP members can pledge and payment is made only after the set is released. That will ensure people are not just voting for the sake of it.

Nitemare1

Also! I was on Vacation last week. Went to Moncton, NB to see The Tragically Hip and hang out with some friends and family. The morning after the concert another friend who was in town called us and said you're not going to believe what I just walked into!
He told us to get to the Crystal Palace (it's a indoor amusement park / shopping / hotel near the mall in Dieppe ). This is what we found.

Heres a link to a video i shot on my phone of the space display. Wish I had taken one of the city trains too. I must have gotten over excited being in a room with that much LEGO and forgot. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0gfen6K1gU

EDIT: Woops. Forgot the link for the rest of the pics. They had a bunch of stuff there. Pretty small room but lots to see.
Moncton LEGO Con!

IMG_0267_zps6aebce49.jpg

IMG_0275_zps1259dc53.jpg

Considering there are no rubber bands in the new x-wing, has there been any indications of what provides the tension for keeping the wings together? Considering the large Technic beams, maybe a shock absorber?

I think it's the fact they are using two wings (rather than 4) so the top left counter balances the bottom right. That and some technic magic.

I think it's the fact they are using two wings (rather than 4) so the top left counter balances the bottom right. That and some technic magic.

Just the counterbalancing wings would make the wings floppy while swooshing in the flat mode. I have a feeling there is something else. The designer video didn't make things too much clearer either.

Guess we'll know more when we get closer to the release data. I also hope the cockpit cover is printed.

Just the counterbalancing wings would make the wings floppy while swooshing in the flat mode. I have a feeling there is something else. The designer video didn't make things too much clearer either.

Guess we'll know more when we get closer to the release data. I also hope the cockpit cover is printed.

Here's some stills from the video which show what I called technic magic. As you turn the axl the technic parts gets flatter thus allowing the wings to lay flat (closed)

UGO4INm.png

cb61SS5.png

Bad news on the cockpit, people on EB are saying it's stickers.

Some new parts, like the cockpit and a techic looking part at the end of the engines. Sadly to say there are stickers instead of printed parts, especially hard on the cockpit. It had some bubbles (of course it depends on how good you are to apply them) and it gives a non-clear glass look.

Here's some stills from the video which show what I called technic magic. As you turn the axl the technic parts gets flatter thus allowing the wings to lay flat (closed)

UGO4INm.png

cb61SS5.png

Bad news on the cockpit, people on EB are saying it's stickers.

In the video you can plainly see it is a sticker for the targeting computer. The windshield itself I am not sure about.

bedlamite

The youtube vid of the UCS X-Wing mentioned something about counterbalancing the wings, not quite sure what the speaker meant so I'll just chalk it up to Lego magick. Just glad there're no more rubber bands that will eventually get brittle and snap.

The youtube vid of the UCS X-Wing mentioned something about counterbalancing the wings, not quite sure what the speaker meant so I'll just chalk it up to Lego magick. Just glad there're no more rubber bands that will eventually get brittle and snap.

The counter balance is that two of the wings are actually connected by one long beam running through the middle of the ship. So instead of being four separate wings attached to the body, it is two larger wings in an actual X pattern.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't understand why they have a sticker. They've had printed bricks for cockpits for years now on even low price sets. Why shy away now? To many custom part already - doesn't look like it.

mrkgoo

I remember the original x wing. It went in clearance here fir like $100. I wish I had the money and mind to buy it then. My brother has it and the tie interceptor. I dud but him the atst walker as well.

Nowadays, I wish I had my own.

I wonder if they are ever going to make more midi scale models. They are my favourite.

ghostmind

I don't understand why they have a sticker. They've had printed bricks for cockpits for years now on even low price sets. Why shy away now? To many custom part already - doesn't look like it.

The original UCS X-wing also had canopy stickers. In fact it had a lot of stickers overall.

JNeZuIM.gif

Hopefully the 2013 model has removed many of these.

Compared to last year's X-wing:

zuZqj4S.jpg

I guess because it is a unique part. The 2012 X-wing cockpit has been used in 18 sets over the years. Frankly, I would rather pay $25 more for this set to have all printed pieces, but not everyone would agree with that.

ghostmind

Also, it is interesting that they already have a "trench run" printed slope piece:

4GZnlp1.gif

But it looks like they are not using it in favor of a 1x2 with a sticker this time... for more accuracy? I don't know.

Also, it is interesting that they already have a "trench run" printed slope piece:

4GZnlp1.gif

But it looks like they are not using it in favor of a 1x2 with a sticker this time... for more accuracy? I don't know.

I think it is because it would be a piece unique to the new UCS X-Wing. The slope piece was in so many sets, while the 1x2 tile would be only in the new X-Wing. Unless we get a new UCS Y-Wing as well.

ghostmind

I think it is because it would be a piece unique to the new UCS X-Wing. The slope piece was in so many sets, while the 1x2 tile would be only in the new X-Wing. Unless we get a new UCS Y-Wing as well.

Yeah, it is the same argument as the cockpit, and it looks like the slope would not fit in the design they have for the new cockpit interior.

On another note, the margins on minifigs must be huge, or they have established a much cheaper printing process on figs than on misc bricks, because LEGO does not seem to shy away from complex unique printing on minifigs, while expensive sets like these get stickers.

On another note, the margins on minifigs must be huge, or they have established a much cheaper printing process on figs than on misc bricks, because LEGO does not seem to shy away from complex unique printing on minifigs, while expensive sets like these get stickers.

That is what baffles me as well. It could just be that they do have a very good process down for figures, while the textures or whatnot needed for specific parts costs too much money.

The bags and plates that come with it. Dat red baseplate! I am also surprised it took them this long to start using the huge 16x16 plates for the modulars.

The disappointing limo. The very definition of "meh."

One of the only printed elements in the entire set, and unique to this one. I don't know what else they will use it for in the future, but it is a very nice looking piece.

Outside details. Railings to keep fans away from the movie stars, and spotlights for the theater. While I like the little details, I am not a fan of separate elements from the building. I would like them more if they were actually attached to the sidewalk so they don't go anywhere. Of course, that is easily done with just swapping some tiles on the baseplate.

The stickers for the posters are not that bad. The stickers in the set seem to be higher quality than usual, but they are still stickers.

The outside lights are really neat. It is actually a harpoon mini fig part going through technic pegs. Really cool use of parts.

Bad pic, but trying to show how the spiral staircase works on the first floor. It is a bit different than on Pet Shop.

The steps actually brace against the armrest pieces seen here.

And it uses 2x4 tiles instead of the 1x4. There is also no stud underneath to prevent movement. A tad flimsier than Pet Shop's, but different enough to be cool.

Completed stairs on first floor. The railing is simple and effective. I do like the fern in the corner as well.

Concession stand. The popcorn maker is kind of bland. I do like the jar of candy and the salt and pepper shakers or whatever they are on the counter though.

The ticket booth. Really nice and simple. The slot under the window is just the right size to slide in the money tiles that come with the set. Very nice touch.

The front doors. I LOVE how these things attach. So simple because it is only a thin tubing holding them to the main building, and then the doors attach from there.

I also love how it is simply a small angled piece that stops the doors from closing and keeps them at the angle with the building. Nothing complex about it, and that is what makes me appreciate it so much.

Second floor projection table. A seat with short stepladder to get to the projector. The projector itself is quite cool and simple. Very nice.
The seats however...the less said the better. They look silly. I would have preferred they used red seat pieces instead of this reclining approach.

The screen, complete with sticker. This was a tricky one to try and get right because of the angles on it. Of course, I was not able to get it perfectly aligned. I just explain it away as someone knocked the projector. Also, what kind of theater has windows in the screening room?

The stairs. Like the first floor, part of it is brick built, the other is the large stair piece. Unlike the other modulars that use the stair pieces, you actually cover the studs with tiles on this one. I might take the tiles off, because I like having studs on the stairs so I can pose figures more easily.

Backside of the building. I for one am happy to get a building without a rear exit. Allows more room for an interior. The one thing I do not like about the roof is that the back of the tower and whatnot are exposed. There was no attempt made to cover it with something.

The slopes on the roof are really awesome when attached, but are not locked down in any way. You can keep swinging them up if you wanted. It would have been nice to have them locked into the angle.

Close up detail of the front of the roof. I like how it is simply a Ninjago hat for the front there.

The marquee. Probably my favorite part of the entire build. A lot sturdier than I anticipated, and quite simple to achieve. But it looks VERY nice when done.

The way it is attached is very sturdy and good. It just clips onto the building. The Palace part of the sign also just clips onto the base of the marquee itself and is incredibly solid once in place.

OVERALL: Great set. A step above Town Hall in nearly every aspect (except Town Hall's roof), but a step down from the masterful Pet Shop.
The interior details are not as great as I wanted, but actually much better than I expected after seeing the first pics.
The exterior however, is awesome. It is a damn good looking building when done, even if there are some shortcomings. It is definitely attention getting.

Rankings of modulars I have: Pet Shop > Fire Brigade > Grand Emporium > Palace Cinema > Town Hall.

After the weekend I will get a pic of all of the buildings together.

I saw this in Toronto last year, it's really incredible.

The best part? A little kid was getting really excited and it appeared that he was about to "cross the line" into the actual exhibit and do some damage. The builder of the set swung around pretty quickly (he was surprised) and knocked apart a bunch of those landing pads, which then toppled several monorails.

Everybody around the display went very quiet. The builder looked at the kid, let out a big laugh and said "That's what's so great about LEGO...we can just rebuild it!"

The kid looked so relieved. It was awesome.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I also love how it is simply a small angled piece that stops the doors from closing and keeps them at the angle with the building. Nothing complex about it, and that is what makes me appreciate it so much.

Do the doors ever touch those? I thought the doors were only stopped by the 1x1 plate at the bottom of the entrance.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Does anyone have any of the TMNT sets? Saw the Kraang lab escape set for £10 and am thinking of picking it up for the Michelangelo figure (my name's Mike so he was obviously always my favourite), but the set looks fairly slight. Can't complain for such a low price though I suppose!

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Does anyone have any of the TMNT sets? Saw the Kraang lab escape set for £10 and am thinking of picking it up for the Michelangelo figure (my name's Mike so he was obviously always my favourite), but the set looks fairly slight. Can't complain for such a low price though I suppose!
Probably the only one i'll be getting. The license doesnt interest me but the sets got some fun stuff and Kraang can make for a squishy alien in any space MOC I suppose.

Probably going to be spending more on the Lone Ranger license when it hits.

Such splendor of classic space brings tears to my eyes. That was my childhood LEGO experience.

I saw this in Toronto last year, it's really incredible.

The best part? A little kid was getting really excited and it appeared that he was about to "cross the line" into the actual exhibit and do some damage. The builder of the set swung around pretty quickly (he was surprised) and knocked apart a bunch of those landing pads, which then toppled several monorails.

Everybody around the display went very quiet. The builder looked at the kid, let out a big laugh and said "That's what's so great about LEGO...we can just rebuild it!"

The kid looked so relieved. It was awesome.

Great LEGO AFOL ambassador. I highly doubt I would be able to handle it that well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So far have resisted the town hall - just doesn't grab me. Palace cinema is better but I'd like to see it in a modular street to see how it fits in.

I might try bricklinking green grocer this year instead.

Thanks for the review Phonciple!

Rankings of modulars I have: Pet Shop > Fire Brigade > Grand Emporium > Palace Cinema > Town Hall.

I think looking at various reviews, this is the conclusion I came to as well. I have the Fire Brigade and after buying the Grand Emporium and the Pet Shop, I will wait for the next modular.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Just got home a little bit ago from the LEGO Store at Tyson's Corner. Great pick a brick wall. Check out my haul!!

8479526993_9cdca7d907_c.jpg

CINEMA!!!
8479527767_08efcb2e83_c.jpg

Alll that ORANGE!!!!
8479528457_201da46df7_c.jpg

I was going to pick up a damaged Town Hall as well for $120 but another guy's kid saw it and wanted to so he got it first. Glad it was a kid at least.

Jealous of those 2x2 tiles. Really want more of those. You possibly snag a big cup filled with just those? Can send you some set of equal value in return?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Jealous of those 2x2 tiles. Really want more of those. You possibly snag a big cup filled with just those? Can send you some set of equal value in return?

I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to go back but if they have them I will get you a cup full. They had the color I got, red and yellow as well.

I was greeted when I got home with the last order of my cafe corner as well. So I can build cafe corner and palace cinema both this weekend. Soooo excited!!!

Top Bottom