• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

DJ_Lae

I notice an increase in discolored pieces or let's say different shades of brightness/transparency or something across a lot of sets!

I had a bunch of those on the very yellow cool cruiser set - mostly discoloured wedges. It was weird.

I've also been seeing more regular bricks with very distinctive Y marks on the edges from the molding process.

Philia

I had to go through my stud bag to find the white/opal pieces. Found one. Thankfully the opal pieces seem rare out of the bunch. I'm not sure which set this was from but its interesting nonetheless to see. Took 3 shots under different lights to show the difference.

0UyIB4n.jpg

UiKthc2.png

s9oixu2.jpg

Its the middle stud.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Visiting the Mall of America Lego store today! Having just picked up Town Hall, I don't really have much left in the Lego budget. Fortunately my budget of self restraint is also pretty tapped out. ;) I'll at least do some PAB.

I can't believe my wife even lets the kiddo and I go in there. Getting either one of us out can be a big project. :D

ruxtpin

Banned
I had to go through my stud bag to find the white/opal pieces. Found one. Thankfully the opal pieces seem rare out of the bunch. I'm not sure which set this was from but its interesting nonetheless to see. Took 3 shots under different lights to show the difference.

Its the middle stud.

That's odd. I had a white hinge just like that in the Grocer I just got. I thought it was still white, but looked like its polish had faded.

0UyIB4n.jpg

UiKthc2.png

s9oixu2.jpg

Its the middle stud.

LOL nice spoiler there...

Yeah no kidding, it's really obvious and annoying that these pieces stand out so much :( they DO look really cheap... Kind of weird that the otherwise great QC of Lego fails so consistently in this department, i wonder what their explanation would be when asked, but i am too lazy to take this any further ;)

LOL nice spoiler there...

Yeah no kidding, it's really obvious and annoying that these pieces stand out so much :( they DO look really cheap... Kind of weird that the otherwise great QC of Lego fails so consistently in this department, i wonder what their explanation would be when asked, but i am too lazy to take this any further ;)

you can find a possible answer here
http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=3504

much more here
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30439

Thanks, good to hear that the problem is well known and is being addressed by others as well...

They are talking about MF theme specifically in this context, however, these pieces are ALL OVER the place recently! I've had some in Star Wars, Winter Village, and now the VW Camper set.

Really cheapens the experience if you're looking at them close up, and really, what AFOL ISN'T interested in details when they're into Lego ?

EDIT: Actually, i just noticed a couple more grey ones in the LOTR Weathertop set i am building right now, they are EVERYWHERE once you know what to look for :(((( cannot UNSEE

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I am at Walmart and they have the milenium falcon for 50% off. Was 140 now 70. Xwing is only $30. Tue fighter for 25. I already have one at home unbuilt. So glad I waited for the falcon!!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
wow, falcon at 70 is insane!
get 3
I thought I did well with 95 ;)

They have 2 and it is tempting, but I don't want to go through the trouble of selling it and shipping it out. I only need 1.

Yep, so is Doctor Doom. It's annoying.

You are saying things that make me want to drop the 50 on that set for doom and nova and jjj. This is not ok.

Hmmm both spideys, arkham, freeze, and bane would be 290... so that isn't happening if I have even an ounce of self control, considering I also dream of buying the vast majority of the Middle earth legos I don't have yet, especially orthanc if the rumor pans out.

Hmmm. Helms deep, uruk hai attack, orc forge, moria, warg battle thing, bag end, would come out to about 390 if I got them full price. Don't care for the goblin king set, can live without riddles for the ring, and already own gandalf, shelob, mirkwood spiders, and weathertop.

Oh waiiiit I just remembered the confirmed 2013 lotr sets... of which i plan to get all 4.... so add another couple hundred

kill me. kill me with bricks.

wetwired

So after someone mentioned it here I'm gonna eventually put my ecto-1 and ghostbusters on cuusoo when I'm done, but I'm gonna add a ton of lights to it for the sirens etc.

You also can't use custom pieces so I'm having to make some brick built proton packs and guns which shouldn't be too hard.

So after someone mentioned it here I'm gonna eventually put my ecto-1 and ghostbusters on cuusoo when I'm done, but I'm gonna add a ton of lights to it for the sirens etc.

You also can't use custom pieces so I'm having to make some brick built proton packs and guns which shouldn't be too hard.

Forces creativity. I love it.

And I cannot wait to see your finished model. It looks better with each revision.

wetwired

I already have a version of them I whipped up last night, based on someone elses version but I modified it a fair bit. I need to order a couple of black lightsaber handles though to finish the proton packs but what I have I think will work pretty well.

I have plans for 3 types of lights on ecto-1

4x blue flashing fast - for the main siren lights (front and back), they'd alternate on\off.

4x blue and 1x red flashing fast - for the smaller round sirens (I haven't actually added these yet as I'm waiting on an order of the parts first)

2x static white and 2x static red for the front and rear headlights respectively.

While I'm waiting for all that stuff I'll likely see if I can tweak the fins a bit and make the decals for the side and back doors.

ghostmind

Floor 2 of the Green Grocer complete and the rating takes a bit of a hit due to lack of furnishings on that level. I think Jamie spent his interior design budget on the first floor. However,
dat fire escape
makes the second floor a sweet build after all.

Rankings at this point are:

Pet Shop>Fire Brigade=Green Grocer>Grand Emporium>Palace Cinema>Town Hall

ghostmind

I already have a version of them I whipped up last night, based on someone elses version but I modified it a fair bit. I need to order a couple of black lightsaber handles though to finish the proton packs but what I have I think will work pretty well.

I have plans for 3 types of lights on ecto-1

4x blue flashing fast - for the main siren lights (front and back), they'd alternate on\off.

4x blue and 1x red flashing fast - for the smaller round sirens (I haven't actually added these yet as I'm waiting on an order of the parts first)

2x static white and 2x static red for the front and rear headlights respectively.

While I'm waiting for all that stuff I'll likely see if I can tweak the fins a bit and make the decals for the side and back doors.

I've always wondered about custom lighting on MOCs, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

wetwired

I'm ordering from this place http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/

You can get kits made specifically for Lego from this place http://lifelites.com but they're too large for ecto-1, I'd have to drill through and modify bricks to use them. The above place has what's called "surface mount" (SMD) Chip LED lights which are tiny little things (1.8mm x 3mm) so I should be able to just stick them inside the transparent pieces without cutting or drilling.

Lifelites would probably be more useful for buildings as it'd be much easier to build in spots to put them as they're built inside of technic pins, for small things like ecto though it makes it much more difficult.

If I'm happy with this when it arrives I may try lifelights for lights for the haunted house, maybe spooky green lights inside?

It'd be awesome to have some lights inside and out the haunted house with a mini smoke machine (if such a thing exists?) spilling fog out the doorway.

ghostmind

I'm ordering from this place http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/

You can get kits made specifically for Lego from this place http://lifelites.com but they're too large for ecto-1, I'd have to drill through and modify bricks to use them. The above place has what's called "surface mount" (SMD) Chip LED lights which are tiny little things (1.8mm x 3mm) so I should be able to just stick them inside the transparent pieces without cutting or drilling.

Lifelites would probably be more useful for buildings as it'd be much easier to build in spots to put them as they're built inside of technic pins, for small things like ecto though it makes it much more difficult.

If I'm happy with this when it arrives I may try lifelights for lights for the haunted house, maybe spooky green lights inside?

It'd be awesome to have some lights inside and out the haunted house with a mini smoke machine (if such a thing exists?) spilling fog out the doorway.

Like the idea of a green light in the HH - maybe set this up for next Halloween?

Also, you could do your own temporary mini-fog generator with just a small container of dry ice.

Chuck

Still without luck
So how do they decide who gets to build what when a new kit for display comes in?

Big stuff like the Palace Cinema we do raffles for. Everything else is up for grabs. Our store is so big that with each new wave of stuff everyone who wants to build something usually can. If I want to build something specifically, I just have to ask like I did for the Chima sets. For the Imperial Hotel, I got lucky and store manager asked me if I wanted to build it.

Had a great birthday party tonight!
IuxCnkm.jpg

Some of the nieces and nephews (ages 4-7) helped me build the windmill version of the small cottage. It was alot of fun but there was no way I was starting the VW with them around...

lingiii

Banned
Big stuff like the Palace Cinema we do raffles for. Everything else is up for grabs. Our store is so big that with each new wave of stuff everyone who wants to build something usually can. If I want to build something specifically, I just have to ask like I did for the Chima sets. For the Imperial Hotel, I got lucky and store manager asked me if I wanted to build it.

I used to think I was happy at my job but I'm considering quitting to go work retail. Hotel looks great. I'm such a FLW sukkah.

R-User!

Just a quick pic of my river raft storage shed add-on to the the Log Cabin set. In addition, a few angry astronauts showed up to hang out and BBQ...

My wife actually built the river raft storage shed but I modified it just a bit to fit better...

I'll be Photodumping some pics for the first time when I get them all uploaded but it'll be in a few batches so as not to create a massive wall of pics lol! =]

T7Hoak9l.jpg

A little more progress on the BrickMAX Cinema tonight.

Finally got a toilet there. If I had room, I would do full restrooms for both genders, but the priority is theater seating.

And thanks to Harry Potter's suggestion, I added lights running along the sides of the steps. I almost went with clear cheese slopes instead, but felt alternating colors of lights added a little pizazz. Also I started the first speakers mounted on the walls of the auditorium. May be a bit basic, but still effective.

Now for the main decoration I wanted to nail. The brick building aspect of this is complete, but the pictures I used are just proof of concept. I sloppily cut up an old LEGO catalog for pics to see if this concept would work:

Basic frame placed against SNOT pieces on the wall. The top is held in only by the two studs on each end, so it can be easily removed.

Take your image, cut to a more exact size than this of course, and place it into the frame. I pulled the frame off the wall slightly so the paper goes a bit behind the bricks to brace it. There is more extra room at the top but that will be covered by the frame once it is reassembled.

Put the top of the frame back in place and you now have a secure poster for display. It is not permanent, so you can print up anything and constantly rotate the posters that are on display at the theater. None of that sticker nonsense here!
Of course, I would like the bottom tile piece to say either "Coming Soon" or "Now Showing" on it.

Two posters outside on the street to show coming attractions.

Posters in the inside lobby.

two new themes, and thusly two more slippery slopes :p

I solved that slippery slope by creating a master theme that covers all themes (just like themes have sub-themes). This way, I'm only buying one theme. Hope this helps.

10240 UCS Red Five X-wing is now showing up on S@H with a May 4th availability... which should be the same time that this year's exclusive SW minifig promo is made available.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Red-Five-X-wing-Starfighter-10240

I'm hoping they have an exclusive super hero minifig like they had with the Hulk last year. One of the minifigures from 2012 Comicon would be nice (Capt Marvel!!! or Phoenix!).

A little more progress on the BrickMAX Cinema tonight.

Take your image, cut to a more exact size than this of course, and place it into the frame. I pulled the frame off the wall slightly so the paper goes a bit behind the bricks to brace it. There is more extra room at the top but that will be covered by the frame once it is reassembled.

Looking good. 15" long?!? What kind of movie theater is this again? ;)

R-User!

If anyone hasn't been to Legoland, here's a pic from a few years ago on a vacation my family and I went on.

Brick Built Zebras!

mxkFA8Gl.jpg

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
That cinema is looking good. Definitely a lot better planned than the TLG version, especially the tiered seating.

Hoping to get building something of my own today. Rest of the day free and a whole lotta bricks, only good things can happen from that :)

Nitemare1

I notice an increase in discolored pieces or let's say different shades of brightness/transparency or something across a lot of sets!

Stuff like these tiles for instance annoy me kinda, where you can CLEARLY see the different shades up close, what's up with that? Does anyone know the reason for this? Different molds or what?

These here for instance are from the VW Camper set that my wife is currently building, she saw it too:

Of my sets I see it worst in the light brown pieces. It's not so bad at a glance but it's really noticeable when photographed.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Shitty cell phone photos of a very very work-in-progress build.

Hoping to build a small bike shop with a flat/apartment upstairs all with interiors. Smaller than the usual 32x32 modular standard but bigger than the 16. Still going to make it functional with the other sets though!

PXLLvMIl.jpg

Top Bottom