• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

neonglow

I went to the Lego Store yesterday and picked up a bunch of clearance items:

Cottage: $69.99
Rock Band: $7.49
Mini-Creator: $2.99
Helicopter Polybag: Free

wetwired

So we got Arkham Asylum Breakout today. It's looking great so far, my gf is almost done with it.

And I was reminded by some family that they owe me over $200 and I'm going to be getting some extra money on top. Niiiiiice.

Anyway, since we already have Arkham, is it worth it to buy the Haunted House? Or can anybody recommend another set that has a building and minifigures? Not interested in the modulars, sorry. Just...not my style.

Could the set have been better? Yes. But one of the worst ever? Not in my opinion. It is definitely one of the weakest modulars. There is no denying that.

It's so pretty IMO.

I haven't built any modulars yet. I only have the Fire Brigade that I will build eventually, but from the exterior aesthetics I think the Cinema Palace looks great. In terms of building, I've heard this and the Town Hall were the least interesting in terms of techniques.

It's so pretty IMO.

I haven't built any modulars yet. I only have the Fire Brigade that I will build eventually, but from the exterior aesthetics I think the Cinema Palace looks great. In terms of building, I've heard this and the Town Hall were the least interesting in terms of techniques.
I ranked them when I did my review. It is pretty, but still a step down from earlier sets.
Pet Shop > Fire Brigade > Grand Emporium > Palace Cinema > Town Hall

ghostmind

I ranked them when I did my review. It is pretty, but still a step down from earlier sets.
Pet Shop > Fire Brigade > Grand Emporium > Palace Cinema > Town Hall

I would agree with this ranking... the Palace Cinema is definitely one up on the Town Hall, as the TH is utterly DULL.

I'm still working on the Green Grocer, but at this point I would put it either at the top or right between the Pet Shop and Fire Brigade.

I would agree with this ranking... the Palace Cinema is definitely one up on the Town Hall, as the TH is utterly DULL.

I'm still working on the Green Grocer, but at this point I would put it either at the top or right between the Pet Shop and Fire Brigade.

*sigh* I want a damn Green Grocer.

I went to the Lego Store yesterday and picked up a bunch of clearance items:

Cottage: $69.99
Rock Band: $7.49
Mini-Creator: $2.99
Helicopter Polybag: Free

I picked up the Winter Cottage for Christmas (at full CDN price, ugh!) I didn't really enjoy building the cottage itself, but the finished product - particularly the interior - is quite nice and detailed. The snow plow was a big hit with my sons.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One thing I HATE about the Hulk figure is that they only painted his shorts so high. You bend a leg a fraction back and you get a big green line.

One thing I HATE about the Hulk figure is that they only painted his shorts so high. You bend a leg a fraction back and you get a big green line.
I look at it like he is wearing a thong. But the Hulk figure is the king of mini figs right now. So much potential with it, as Hulk goes with everything.

Town Hall is okay as you go, but the roof is sublime. So much awesome on the roof. And the entire building does look great when done, but does look almost amateurish next to previous buildings. It does seem Astrid improved a lot with Palace Cinema, even if it is not to Jaime standards. I really want to see the guy who made Haunted House or the Quinjet designer do a modular. I fell the Haunted House guy could make Jamie look bad if he ran with it, because that set was so awesome.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
*sigh* I want a damn Green Grocer.

This will be my next bricklink build, after I finish building the cafe corner I am working on now. I will do some test purchases to see how much it will cost to buy brick by brick vs just buying a set.

Philia

This will be my next bricklink build, after I finish building the cafe corner I am working on now. I will do some test purchases to see how much it will cost to buy brick by brick vs just buying a set.

I just asked my husband about this and he looked this up and he's iffy on the price comparisons. He said that the light "sand" green pieces are the most rare and most necessary parts of the set and that what costs so much.

Here's the inventory list.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/inventory/?Set=10185-1

EDIT: If you click on the far right arrow, it'll change to show you which pieces are not available on lego.com.

I just asked my husband about this and he looked this up and he's iffy on the price comparisons. He said that the light green pieces are the most rare and most necessary parts of the set and that what costs so much.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=10185-1

Just make it a different shade of green. If possible. :)

Tempted to bricklink it as well, but the cost is so fucking high for the full set.

wetwired

I have a soft spot for the Green Grocer, it was the first one I got and it was the first that had interior detail, it's also a great build and has lots of charm.

There were maybe 2? a long time ago. There's not a precedent for them doing something like rereleasing the early modulars to spite speculators and give the rest of us a chance, however lovely that would be.

But if they do a "Designer's Cut" of Cafe Corner and add interior details, it is not an actual rerelease. :)

There were maybe 2? a long time ago. There's not a precedent for them doing something like rereleasing the early modulars to spite speculators and give the rest of us a chance, however lovely that would be.

I recall they did try re-releases, but there were many complaints as they had to substitute some parts that were no longer made. Also, they said some people had great memories that the re-release didn't meet (you know, like some cartoons, but the animation sucks when you watch it now, but it was the greatest as a kid). I think the sales were not stellar. I can't remember where I saw this info.

Also, the downside of re-releases are people would be more apt to skip buying them the first time around. i.e. "I don't have the money, I can wait until the re-release and I'll just buy the next modular."

As PhoncipleBone stated, they may get around it as an update like they do with Star Wars all the time. Change it enough so it's not really the same set.

EDIT:

Found some info on the re-releases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Castle

They were called LEGO Legends. Someone at Brickset compiled a list:

Sets that were re-released as LEGO Legends

rataven

Just started building Grand Emporium tonight, and it's been a great build so far. This would be an awesome set to double up on, and then join together with a few modifications. Really give it that big city department store feel.

I paid $500 in March 2012. Yes it took me this long to get to it - it was more about getting it before it went up even more in price. Now, looking at Bricklink, it is around $650 for a new sealed set.

That actually seems low (i.e., reasonable) relative to the aftermarket price of the other OOP modulars. Cafe Corner's status as the first mod must have an effect on it's value. It's a gorgeous set, but GG has the edge with the detailed interior and overall design.

I've only built the first four (the others are hanging out in my backlog), but I'd rank them Fire Brigade=Green Grocer > Market Street > Cafe Corner.

Does LEGO ever re-release sets?
They actually did a whole line of re-released sets, Lego Legends, in the early 2000s. And from what I remember hearing, it actually wasn't as successful as they'd expected. I think that put the kibosh on any future reprints.

Ironmask

They actually did a whole line of re-released sets, Lego Legends, in the early 2000s. And from what I remember hearing, it actually wasn't as successful as they'd expected. I think that put the kibosh on any future reprints.

They rightfully thought of the nostalgia-market, but with so many sets released, it's difficult to pin down THAT nostalgia set that a customer is actually caring for. (of the Legends sets, i've never bought one in my childhood and just remember the train from a flyer).

A much more efficient re-release should be towarded to the "late-to-the-pary" market.
Things like UCS Falcon, AT-AT, Green Grocer, Taj Mahal etc... that every AFOL (not kids) wants, missed the original release window and don't wants to pay the huge after-market prices.

LEGO please make something out of it or sooner or later we'll see chinese knock-offs in the market

Trying really really hard not to break open winter village and build it.

XFhUYg0.jpg

Don't I know it!

I'll stay strong if you do. Nov 15.

Fantastic. You're pushing me to actually open my Hulk figure. What do you take your photos on? Is that just paper or a light box?

Oh! I had a nice surprise when I got home yesterday. I guess this means that Canadians were included as well.

I'm all for a Bricklink alternative but I don't like their chances of hitting their funding goal at the current rate.

Bricklink's always seemed OK for me. The guy who founded it died a couple of years ago, and I think they've had various problems with the site since then.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Just make it a different shade of green. If possible. :)

Tempted to bricklink it as well, but the cost is so fucking high for the full set.

I parted it out bricklink just a little bit ago one one shop. The shop had 277 of the 294 lots and it would have cost me $723 for just those pieces. Not counting the 17 lots that shop had and also not counting the shipping. I will try again and see how much it will cost through Lego directly and then add the missing pieces individually like I did with Cafe Corner. If it is more than a full set I might just buy one from Bricklink or try ebay. They are 550-600 there for MISB.

ruxtpin

Banned
I paid $500 in March 2012. Yes it took me this long to get to it - it was more about getting it before it went up even more in price. Now, looking at Bricklink, it is around $650 for a new sealed set.

I got a set that wasn't sealed, but all the bags we're still unopened. There was also some scuffing on the box too, but I'm just throwing that in storage.

I paid $540 and I think I got a steal.

Thanks guys for the discussion on rereleases. I'm going to hold out hope. I can't justify paying that much brick linking it or for a new one off eBay.

If we get rereleases it will be more like how they handled Star Wars stuff: a refined and updated version. Similar enough for people that missed the original run to be ecstatic, but different enough to not ruin the value of the old versions to the collectors.

I think the new UCS X-Wing is a good example.

If we get rereleases it will be more like how they handled Star Wars stuff: a refined and updated version. Similar enough for people that missed the original run to be ecstatic, but different enough to not ruin the value of the old versions to the collectors.

Well, that works if they do remixes of cafe corner and market street with interiors, but what excuse could they find for green grocer, i wonder? redo it for what pieces are no longer being made? It doesn't really seem to need stylistic or technical touchups... unless the inside is boring?

edit: looking at it, the back alley is gigantic. they could significantly upgrade the set if they shrunk it a bit and made a bigger interior.... it'd be more interesting to play with, and both things contribute equally little to display if it's just sitting on a shelf.

Well, that works if they do remixes of cafe corner and market street with interiors, but what excuse could they find for green grocer, i wonder? redo it for what pieces are no longer being made? It doesn't really seem to need stylistic or technical touchups... unless the inside is boring?

Make it the Red Grocer.

I wonder really how well the UCS X-Wing will retain its value still though. I will imagine prices plummeting when the new set hits and is around for a while, but they will likely shoot back up up when the new X-Wing goes OOP again. Wonder though if it's value will remain the same as it's previous highs though with a newer more readily available model in circulation as well.

Calm Killer

LEGO's retail store expansion shows no sign of slowing down this year. Four new stores for the USA have just been announced:

Danbury Fair, Danbury, CT
West County, Des Peres, MO
North Star Mall, San Antonio, TX
Fashion Place, Murray, UT

I really want one in Pittsburgh. I go there at least 4 times a year. Harrisonburg VA would perfect. It only took me about 2 hours and 15 minutes to get to the one at Tyson's Corner in McLean Va, but I never ever go to DC.

DJ_Lae

Lego needs to open up something in Edmonton. I mean, West Edmonton Mall has no Lego store, but there's one in Calgary? Come on.

LEGO's retail store expansion shows no sign of slowing down this year. Four new stores for the USA have just been announced:

I really want one in Pittsburgh. I go there at least 4 times a year. Harrisonburg VA would perfect. It only took me about 2 hours and 15 minutes to get to the one at Tyson's Corner in McLean Va, but I never ever go to DC.

Danbury...only about five miles closer than me driving to Natick, MA. But going to Natick means tolls. But driving to Danbury means going through both Hartford and Waterbury.

Urgh. They need more stores in CT. Mainly so I can go work there.

Calm Killer

Danbury...only about five miles closer than me driving to Natick, MA. But going to Natick means tolls. But driving to Danbury means going through both Hartford and Waterbury.

Urgh. They need more stores in CT. Mainly so I can go work there.

At least you have them in your state. WV will never get one, and if they actually do it will be in some place like Charleston WV which is 3-4 hours away. Morgantown WV would be perfect for me. I could go to the LEGO store every time I go to a WVU football game.

Calm Killer

I just asked my husband about this and he looked this up and he's iffy on the price comparisons. He said that the light "sand" green pieces are the most rare and most necessary parts of the set and that what costs so much.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/inventory/?Set=10185-1

EDIT: If you click on the far right arrow, it'll change to show you which pieces are not available on lego.com.

I have looked on LEGO and it really is only like 7 items that they don't have in stalk. I will put it together and wait for a quote so everyone could see how much it cost from LEGO directly.

Philia

I'm in Roanoke, VA, I sure hope to see one nearby too some day! The closet ones are still just about 3 hours away everywhere. :\

I'd love to work in one too.

I live less than 5 minutes from a LEGO Store.

Yes, it's dangerous.

I feel your pain. I'm a 5-10 minute drive from two locations.

I also travel throughout North America fairly regularly so my "must visit LEGO store" OCD kicks in on a pretty regular basis. A few weeks ago I learned that the Columbus OH store is kind of lame.

KingGondo

Banned
Heh same here. Luckily I hate the mall. Anytime I hit up the LEGO store it's at 10am on a Saturday or Sunday when old people are having their walk around the mall.
Yep.

I've got it down to a science. I know exactly where to park to get in and out of the mall with maximum efficiency.

PalaceBrother said:
I feel your pain. I'm a 5-10 minute drive from two locations.

I also travel throughout North America fairly regularly so my "must visit LEGO store" OCD kicks in on a pretty regular basis. A few weeks ago I learned that the Columbus OH store is kind of lame.
I'm pretty good at resisting, but I definitely buy more than I would if the store wasn't there. I bought the Arctic Batman vs. Mr. Freeze set a while back, and the Superman vs. Luthor set is calling to me, too. Those damn $30 and under sets with cool minifigs!

Top Bottom