• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Fantastic. You're pushing me to actually open my Hulk figure. What do you take your photos on? Is that just paper or a light box?

I am actually just using huge Paper sheets in different colors, you bend them and it gives you that endless space effect in the background! Lighting is key though and i took these at daytime since i am still missing a nice light kit so far...

Nice! Where do you live that they have that spring set out?

Fantastic. You're pushing me to actually open my Hulk figure. What do you take your photos on? Is that just paper or a light box?

Oh! I had a nice surprise when I got home yesterday. I guess this means that Canadians were included as well.

Hulk not like it in polybag! Were you planning on reselling it later as an investment? If not, play with it! (That doesn't sound quite right). You know what I mean.

Oh man, it hurts seeing that valentine keychain. Good for you. My friend got that keychain and I know I spent more and frequented the LEGO store much more than him. I'm glad they sent them out and those that got them...just wondering why LEGO doesn't love me and my money I spend there. *sniff* *whine* *whimper*

Ponn

Banned
What set?

I was going to post pics but my old laptop is crapping out on me. Its the Vampyres Castle from AWD for $86. It came just like Battle of Helms Deep, perfect condition. Vampyres Hearse had a big dent and retaped for like new so this puts me at 2 out of 3 from AWD.

I know what im doing tonight.

Hulk not like it in polybag! Were you planning on reselling it later as an investment? If not, play with it! (That doesn't sound quite right). You know what I mean.

I totally agree. I don't ever buy things with the intent of keeping them in pristine condition for resale later. It's more the fact that I never bother open the free polybags that LEGO sometimes gives out, and I forget about them on the shelf.

Nice! Where do you live that they have that spring set out?

They've been selling these in Lego stores here for a couple weeks now (EU)... i really liked the look of it so i got one the other day :) really captures that springtime mood, the cherry (blossom) tree looks nice and the woman's dress is awesome, not sure if it existed before in another set though?

I can only find it for about $30 on ebay in Australia. I would pay $20 for him.

Yeah i gave it a lot of thought as well before i finally took the plunge... I guess if you're really into minifigs then he's kind of a must have... Actually if you convert your aussie dollars to Euro then it gives you 23 euro for 30 aussie dollars so that kinda IS what i paid ;)

Yeah i gave it a lot of thought as well before i finally took the plunge... I guess if you're really into minifigs then he's kind of a must have... Actually if you convert your aussie dollars to Euro then it gives you 23 euro for 30 aussie dollars so that kinda IS what i paid ;)

I'll have a look around BrickLink and see if I get lucky then. He's definitely a must have.

Dear LegoGAf, my name is Antiquegamer and I have a problem

This is just from the last two months since I got back into Lego. They are all from sale, discount and clearance but if my wallet is not completely clean out. Also I just realize if I stay interested this is the hobby of forever. There are just so many Lego sets!

Zze3ya6l.jpg

D55Ayw1l.jpg

nc9hcGLl.jpg

And I have four sets on the way. My backlog will be bigger than my gaming soon.

Fantomex

This is just from the last two months since I got back into Lego. They are all from sale, discount and clearance but if my wallet is not completely clean out. Also I just realize if I stay interested this is the hobby of forever. There are just so many Lego sets!

Zze3ya6l.jpg

D55Ayw1l.jpg

nc9hcGLl.jpg

I see nothing wrong here. Move along. And start budgeting for Cinema.

Sumidor

What do you guys do after you put them together? Do you take them apart or do you display them? I ran out of room really quickly when I used to display all of mine and had to take most of them apart and put them away.

What do you guys do after you put them together? Do you take them apart or do you display them? I ran out of room really quickly when I used to display all of mine and had to take most of them apart and put them away.

That means you have to invest in a bigger place!

I actually deconstruct mine and add them to my brick collection... I know this is probably frowned on.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

I sense the clutch is strong with this one.

I send them to fellow NeoGAFfers who can make the space for them. I display and play with them until the next display/play set comes along. I then take some apart and sort into my collective for making my own stuff.

That means you have to invest in a bigger place!

I actually deconstruct mine and add them to my brick collection... I know this is probably frowned on.

If you can afford a bigger place, you're not buying enough LEGO!

Zze3ya6l.jpg

D55Ayw1l.jpg

nc9hcGLl.jpg

Welcome to the thread!

It looks like you really like the Star Wars theme which is great news for your wallet. I'm pretty sure interest is dwindling and LEGO will slow down SW releases after his year.

YER DOOOOOOOOMED

Welcome to the thread!

It looks like you really like the Star Wars theme which is great news for your wallet. I'm pretty sure interest is dwindling and LEGO will slow down SW releases after his year.

YER DOOOOOOOOMED

Worry not, you will. Those are gateway sets to the UCS sets which are nowhere to be seen in those photos.

First step is admitting you have a problem.

Second step is opening your wallet and spending more. I mean can you ignore those Galaxy Quest sets? And the collectible minifigures?

lingiii

Banned

Zze3ya6l.jpg

D55Ayw1l.jpg

nc9hcGLl.jpg

Obligatory Building Dreams, Demolishing Wallets joke :)

Welcome to the family! That looks like a good start.

Best one so far!

I wish the meme would be over already. That one and this are the ones I like the most.

I don't even know what Harlem Shake is but that is awesome.

Worry not, you will. Those are gateway sets to the UCS sets which are nowhere to be seen in those photos.

Yep...I see a collection of prequel and original trilogy stuff thrown in together...clearly someone is receptive to the dark side.

I am coming to the realization that even if I disassemble my Corner Florist MOC, I am still going to need more large pieces to fill out the walls of this beast. There is just so much area to cover.

I started building up the walls of the auditorium, and have plans for the front first floor (and prelim ideas in my head for the front second floor), and am running out of white. I am trying to keep things uniform. Once I get past the first floor, I am moving to some different colors for different layers, because I am quickly burning through the giant pile of 1x8 and 1x16 white bricks I got the other week.

Back entrance for the employees. I plan to have a staircase to the second floor where the projection room is, and possibly an office and break room. Not sure if I want that or a very open front end with windows.

Ignore the random doors laying on the floor. I just left them there. But two sets of entrance doors for everyone filing in and out of the theater. The SNOT work on the front and on the wall of the auditorium is for posters that I want to print up. I am not concerned about exposed holes as the posters will cover those.

Entrance to the auditorium, and the lone restroom for the entire theater. This also gives a glimpse to the backside of the brace that will hold the iPad up against the back wall.

The steps of the auditorium completed, and the railings in place for the patrons to use when climbing the stadium seating.

I think this is going to be a VERY long term project. Perhaps I can get the first tier completed without much issue, but to get the walls high enough for the screen, I feel like I may need to make another PAB trip and pray they have the pieces I need. It really is intimidating working on a 48x48 plate compared to a 32x32. I know once the main floor is done and I can start working on the front of the building I will feel better. But that second floor will be interesting to try and get stable since a big chunk of the outside wall will only be one stud wide and connect with the first floor.

Looking good Phon. Are you going to do any 'lights' on the stairs in the auditorium?

Shit. SHIT. SHIT. SHIT! Why didn't I think of that? Hmmm...I could line the area under the railings with clear 1x1 round plates.

I have plans for having speakers lining the walls though. That has been a feature I have wanted forever.

And also planning on a smaller and greatly refined version of my soda machine from my Cafe MOC to put into the incredibly cramped snack stand.

For reference, my soda machine from my Cafe MOC last year:

Theater looks great, PB. One other idea for some variety on the seating--maybe a handicapped seating in the front with some open space and that bar thing separating it from the stadium seats.

Theater looks great, PB. One other idea for some variety on the seating--maybe a handicapped seating in the front with some open space and that bar thing separating it from the stadium seats.

I wanted to do handicap seats, but would have to eat into space for the back storage area/snack bar to do it. Unless the handicap seating is right up against the screen. I had been thinking of handicap seating from the very beginning, but it really is down to space concerns. If I went nuts and used four baseplates and made this beast 64x64, there would do tons of seating and tons of area for snack bars and whatnot. And also no room in my apartment to show it off. :) Also, it is hard enough making a building to fit 48x48. Making it 64x64 is giving me chills.

I do plan on putting railings at the front of the seating though.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Awesome stuff, PB! I love it!

I took some pictures of my Town Hall build (well, of the first floor, then I kinda forgot...). I'll write up a little review tomorrow. I get why it isn't more popular, but I think there's some definite redeeming qualities.

Awesome stuff, PB! I love it!

I took some pictures of my Town Hall build (well, of the first floor, then I kinda forgot...). I'll write up a little review tomorrow. I get why it isn't more popular, but I think there's some definite redeeming qualities.

Like the pillars and dat roof.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Like the pillars and dat roof.

The pillars rule! The portico in general is a lot of fun.

Just to spoil the review, Town Hall doesn't offer a ton of cool building techniques like we've come to expect in other modulars, so I understand the lukewarm response. Really at heart, Town Hall is kind of a brute force, workmanlike exercise. It looks a lot like the solid, straightforward kind of building I was put together as a kid. That won't impress with crazy building techniques, but it does get you a super solid build with tons of pieces.

In the discussion about Palace Cinema, someone suggested that it's really all about the exteriors for him. I'm pretty much the opposite - I'm just fascinated with how space is used in interiors. And Town Hall has a great interior. The elevator, while admittedly pretty weak, immediately captured my 2 (almost 3) year old's attention. The playability is pretty high with this modular. It's sturdy, there are all different rooms to play in...Its a ton of fun.

Okay, enough. Longer thing with photos tomorrow!

Fowler

The thing I love about your cinema Phon is your unyielding desire to have a MASSIVE seating area.

Given that it's 48x48 you could easily scale back the seats, build a big lobby/snack area and still have 3-4 times as many seats as the Palace Cinema modular... But you've been trying to build a cinema with that many seats for ages and going at it, no matter what.

It's awesome.

Brute force is the perfect way to explain Town Hall. It just plows through and is a beast when done. It is just not as pretty as others.

I would put the Town Hall's first floor up there with Grand Emporium's first and Fire Brigade's second. Maybe even better.

The rest of the building is a slog though...not a ton of fun to build. I do think it displays fantastically though. Plus, I keep forgetting how HUGE it is. Whenever I take down the modulars for my kids to play with it surprises me.

I haven't built anything in a couple of weeks. Thinking Pet Shop this weekend, but we are so close to double VIP so do I wait....but that would just net me $20 instead of $10....but it comes with a free frogurt. But I suspect the frogurt is cursed.

I notice an increase in discolored pieces or let's say different shades of brightness/transparency or something across a lot of sets!

Stuff like these tiles for instance annoy me kinda, where you can CLEARLY see the different shades up close, what's up with that? Does anyone know the reason for this? Different molds or what?

These here for instance are from the VW Camper set that my wife is currently building, she saw it too:

I've been noticing it on hands, there's a distinctly different shade of yellow on some of them, much more transparent. That's on my classic stuff too, so it's not a recent development. Makes some of it look like knockoffs.

Ive noticed it too, not sure what I think of it though.
on the one hand I strongly agree that it's disturbing and demonstrates a lack of quality control.
on the other hand it adds a certain range of texture to your builds...

probably more opposed to it though!

Philia

Oh wow. That is... pretty apparent.

I thought I noticed this with white studs and white pieces. Some were solid white while some of the others were slightly opal.

I should take a pic too. Granted, I only noticed when I was doing MOCs though.

The thing I love about your cinema Phon is your unyielding desire to have a MASSIVE seating area.

Given that it's 48x48 you could easily scale back the seats, build a big lobby/snack area and still have 3-4 times as many seats as the Palace Cinema modular... But you've been trying to build a cinema with that many seats for ages and going at it, no matter what.

It's awesome.

If anything, I want MORE seating. I would love to get this sucker up to 100 seats, but that would require a lot more space. It is stretching it right now at 64.

I haven't built anything in a couple of weeks. Thinking Pet Shop this weekend, but we are so close to double VIP so do I wait....but that would just net me $20 instead of $10....but it comes with a free frogurt. But I suspect the frogurt is cursed.

tumblr_lfl3x7M1og1qc0j6lo1_400.jpg

But you get your choice of topping!

Top Bottom