• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

So I think I'm going to use my 10% off coupon this week to get the Wiener Cart. I was debating between stacking together two smaller sets like a Batman set and the Daily Bugle but I'm now debating between the Sopwith Camel or the Volkswagen Camper.

Any suggestions?

ghostmind

So I think I'm going to use my 10% off coupon this week to get the Wiener Cart. I was debating between stacking together two smaller sets like a Batman set and the Daily Bugle but I'm now debating between the Sopwith Camel or the Volkswagen Camper.

Any suggestions?

VW Camper

Any suggestions?
I am pretty sure coupon is for single item, I would use it on your largest purchase of the day.

Jimbro72

Any suggestions?

I own both but have only put together the VW Camper and I can say that is a really great set. Wonderful, interesting build from start to finish and the finished model is very cool and makes a great display piece, so that one gets my vote.

Mwahaha

EG4z9rc.jpg

I think the Star Slicer left the worst impressions of the bunch - the Warp Stinger was more indifference than anything.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you'll love the Hive Crawler - best set of the entire theme!

Indifference was a good way to describe Warp Stinger. Cool looking when done, but the lack of articulation is a bummer. Star Sicer still hurts. But Hive Crawler trumps everything for me so far this year.

Any suggestions?
VW Camper. Seriously, one of the top 5 sets still in production. Truly god tier.

Looks like processed meat is back on the menu, boys!

frogg609

Here's detailed pictures of the 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition. It'll be available on August 1st for $199.99. That's the same price as the regular edition.

LEGO Technic 41999 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition by The Scooter Guy, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/sets/72157634424595040/with/9183005548/

This is gorgeous. I didn't like the vanilla version (thought the body was pretty boring). This though, has such sweet look to it, will definitely need to pick it up.

kms_md

These two sets were meant for each other.

No Galatic Titan at my store either. The employee I spoke to didn't know when they'd get it in either.

These Titan reports are bumming me out - I was planning on using my coupon to pick one up this week. I will definitely call before driving out.

Was planning on driving to the store for the Titan this weekend. More to the point, trying to convince the wife to let me go to the store for the Titan.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Here's detailed pictures of the 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition. It'll be available on August 1st for $199.99. That's the same price as the regular edition.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/sets/72157634424595040/with/9183005548/

Will wait for online instructions to just build the new body (assuming the chassis is the same). Would be nice if lego would release a parts pack for those of us that already own the crawler.

That delorean is really nice. That bonnet pice is exactly the one I thought about after seeing the cuusoo one. It's such an important aspect of the delorean, I'd have built it around that slope.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are we doing/allowed any trading on here? I want to sell my sopwith camel (built once) and two unopened helms deeps (bought in haste, now just sitting in the loft)

UK gaffer btw

rallaren

I think the Star Slicer left the worst impressions of the bunch - the Warp Stinger was more indifference than anything.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you'll love the Hive Crawler - best set of the entire theme!
Warp Stinger looks pretty cool, and unique for a Lego set like the rest obviously, but Star Slicer is a half-must because of the damn vehicle alone. Star Slicer is a pretty cool name too with the box art and atmosphere of the GS theme in mind.
I could talk about GS the whole day.

And holy moly, antiquegamer! You pictures always look amazing.

SpeedNut

VW Camper. Seriously, one of the top 5 sets still in production. Truly god tier.

I just finished Sopwith Camel, and I was pretty damn impressed with the set. The string work to operate the proper flaps was pretty unique, and that engine! Plus using shutters for the seat was a nice touch. Also my curved wing issue resolved itself once all of the string was in place tying the wings together. Not 100% flat, but the curvature on the edges goes towards each other which is believable.

On what order of magnitude higher would you put the VW over the Sopwith?

Warp Stinger looks pretty cool, and unique for a Lego set like the rest obviously, but Star Slicer is a half-must because of the damn vehicle alone. Star Slicer is a pretty cool name too with the box art and atmosphere of the GS theme in mind.

As disappointed as I was in the bug in Star Slicer, the vehicle is quite nice. If it were a standalone set for about $10, it would be one of the best values of the year.

I just finished Sopwith Camel, and I was pretty damn impressed with the set. The string work to operate the proper flaps was pretty unique, and that engine! Plus using shutters for the seat was a nice touch. Also my curved wing issue resolved itself once all of the string was in place tying the wings together. Not 100% flat, but the curvature on the edges goes towards each other which is believable.

On what order of magnitude higher would you put the VW over the Sopwith?

Sopwith was a very, very good build. The greatest part was how the entire wing dynamic worked. And the sucker is a lot bigger than I anticipated, but the size of the body is perfect for swooshing around the home.

VW Camper is more a sum of the parts though. It is all about the little details as you build it. Whether it be the patterned floor in the back, the sink with mirror and hairbrush, the folding table to eat at, the reclining bench/bed in the back, or the dashboard details in the front: this set is spectacular. The only real demerit I would give it is the stickers. They are important (well, most are) to the overall look of it, and the fact that you cannot order replacements adds an element of fear to the build.
But once done, it is a nice compact model that almost anyone instantly recognizes. Then they can marvel at all the interior details on it. If only they made it where the wheels turned too.

Both are great sets, but I would not put Sopwith in my personal top 10 of the last few years. VW Camper would get into the top 10 without hesitation. Top 5 of still in production sets.

Thanks, I really enjoy taking picture of LEGO. You know, i think if I am up early today, I will put Star Slicer together. I got it on sale at TRU for $27.00 so even if it's bad it's not going to hurt so much. The box is huge for just 300 pcs. set.

Jimbro72

My latest and biggest haul yet I believe:

I think I will start with Swamp Creature but then it gets rather difficult to choose. Also; my first City set.

Very nice haul there. I'm particularly jealous of the Technic Flat Bed truck, as that is one set I need to get around to getting myself. I think the VW Camper Van would display quite nicely on the back of it.

Ponn

Banned
My latest and biggest haul yet I believe:

I think I will start with Swamp Creature but then it gets rather difficult to choose. Also; my first City set.

Have fun with the Monster Fighter sets, I enjoyed building all of mine and they display really nice. I have all mine displayed under a lamp and when I turn it off to go to bed at night they all glow in the dark for almost a good hour. The fighters themselves i've dismantled the vehicles and put them away but they really aren't the reason you get the sets for anyways. Can't wait to re-order Haunted House this weekend and complete the set.

rallaren

Have fun with the Monster Fighter sets, I enjoyed building all of mine and they display really nice. I have all mine displayed under a lamp and when I turn it off to go to bed at night they all glow in the dark for almost a good hour. The fighters themselves i've dismantled the vehicles and put them away but they really aren't the reason you get the sets for anyways. Can't wait to re-order Haunted House this weekend and complete the set.
I would probably not have bought any if it weren't for the glowing. The horse (must have) is the best one. I've never gotten the sticker on the hearse to glow. HH is not on my list - yet.

I just finished Swamp Creature and I thought the moonstone would glow. Oh well. The 4 blue transparent pieces was nice surprise.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Worried they wont do Smaug justice because of size/price/piece constraints.

Hopefully a convincing brick-built/pre-fab dragon though- excited about what we're going to see!

Chuck

Still without luck
There are already two DoS sets. I wonder if they were supposed to be part of the first movie before it was turned into a trilogy.

ghostmind

There are already two DoS sets. I wonder if they were supposed to be part of the first movie before it was turned into a trilogy.

Yeah, they were intended to be part of the first movie, but once PJ and crew decided to turn it into a trilogy, LEGO added that red stamp on the front, designating them as "Preview Sets".

Since these sets usually get planned out long in advance, I would expect to see another 5 to 6 sets this year - perhaps 4 to 5 if LEGO pull some of them to save for the 3rd film.

Woorloog

Banned
I just finish building Warp Stinger and to my surprise I really enjoy it. I was dreading it due to all the negative review here and on the net. I got it for around $23.00 during one of the TRU "sale" so for the price it is pretty well worth the money.

ZjV2oWul.jpg

I wonder if the series is inspired from Starcraft, reminds me of a Mutalisk.
Earlier some bug thingy reminded me of a Baneling...

Rumor time!

SDCC will see a full reveal of the Desolation of Smaug sets, including the dragon himself!

Don't know how you get all this info, but that's awesome!

Adding to previous rumor you posted. Talking to the asst manager at my local LEGO store, they have the current Minecraft set in. I mentioned the other sets and he said one should be coming in August. Not sure if he really understood what I was saying, but take it with a grain of salt that this is further confirmation of your rumor.

My eldest daughter turns 7 this week, so I was able to sneak out of the house to do a little shopping for her. No sign of the summer wave of Friends stuff at the local LEGO shop, but at least they had the stables that she has been drooling over.

She may not like the Hulk & Quinjet combo, so those'll be for daddy.

rallaren

My eldest daughter turns 7 this week, so I was able to sneak out of the house to do a little shopping for her. No sign of the summer wave of Friends stuff at the local LEGO shop, but at least they had the stables that she has been drooling over.

Whoa, 1145 pcs on riding camp? Sweet.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
In no order:
Death Star
Haunted House
Pet Shop
And uhhhhh.... Yeah. Picking a fifth is tough. My heart is going for R2-D2. But the above three would remain.

Nice. I haz all of these minus R2, but I will have my parents get him for me for my birthday this year. So very nice!

ghostmind

Nice haul! Fun for the whole family there!

Ponn

Banned
Smaug needs to be built with brick and he needs to be bigger than any other Lego dragon.

I'm also hoping they do a brickbuilt version of Smaug, but with an ulterior motive. If they put the time into a brickbuilt Smaug it shouldn't take much to convert it into a Fell Beast set.

Oh and yea I just said fuck it

The Tower of Orthanc™

Qty: 1
Price: $199.99
Available Now
Halloween Accessory Set

Price: $14.99
Available Now
Haunted House

Price: $179.99
Available Now
Hot Dog Cart

Price: FREE
Promotional Product

I will wait on a PS3 till black friday or a price drop, I want to play The Last of Us but I can save money by waiting and, well, I can get Orthanc. Good lord if anyone found out I dropped that much money on Lego. Thats going to be a huge box.

Jimbro72

I'm also hoping they do a brickbuilt version of Smaug, but with an ulterior motive. If they put the time into a brickbuilt Smaug it shouldn't take much to convert it into a Fell Beast set.

Oh and yea I just said fuck it

I will wait on a PS3 till black friday or a price drop, I want to play The Last of Us but I can save money by waiting and, well, I can get Orthanc. Good lord if anyone found out I dropped that much money on Lego. Thats going to be a huge box.

Damn, that's a nice haul there. A real shame you're only getting one hot dog cart out of the deal considering what you're purchasing. I think both Orthanc and the Haunted House could use a hot dog stand of their own out in front.

Top Bottom