• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Jimbro72

Smaug needs to be built with brick and he needs to be bigger than any other Lego dragon.

If they go brick built, I wonder if that will be what the whole set consists of, just Smaug and nothing else.

And for those wanting a brick built one, what piece count or price range would you be willing to pay to see it done right? $30? $50? $100+?

I went to Toys R Us here in Sweden, looking for minifigs, and found only a few series 10 but loads of the silver, black, reds and even a few blue! Ended up with seven. Unfortunately both the fairy and footballer, same two that I found in another late series 8 find. Then punk rocker, zookeeper, eskimo, evil dwarf and female skier. Not too bad, but I only really like the dwarf and eskimo.

They rang up to 20% off as well. Was almost going to get more, but I'm going to an unofficial Lego store tomorrow so I'll be able to pick and choose there.

I'm also hoping they do a brickbuilt version of Smaug, but with an ulterior motive. If they put the time into a brickbuilt Smaug it shouldn't take much to convert it into a Fell Beast set.

Oh and yea I just said fuck it

I will wait on a PS3 till black friday or a price drop, I want to play The Last of Us but I can save money by waiting and, well, I can get Orthanc. Good lord if anyone found out I dropped that much money on Lego. Thats going to be a huge box.
$14.99 for Haunted House? That's a steal! And that Hot Dog Cart for $180 better be amazing.

Mind blown!

Woman Fashions Own Prosthetic Leg Out of LEGO via Geekologie.

prosthetic-lego-leg.jpg

Time lapse video of the build.

Ponn

Banned
If they go brick built, I wonder if that will be what the whole set consists of, just Smaug and nothing else.

And for those wanting a brick built one, what piece count or price range would you be willing to pay to see it done right? $30? $50? $100+?

A 10xxxx Smaug lair set with treasure mound and special clear Bilbo mini fig with a piece count of 2000+ for $199 you say? Yes please.

$14.99 for Haunted House? That's a steal! And that Hot Dog Cart for $180 better be amazing

I actually want to see what these would look like now.

Well I bought my first ever lego set today. Since I saw the thread in OT on the new Sydney Opera House the other day, I decided that I would like to buy it (I am an aussie). Anyway, I also saw the 3 others from that series in the thread. Since the Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower are very expensive, I decided to buy the Tower Bridge!
It's arrived and the build has started! There's a lot of pieces, lol.

It should be an entire set of Smaug's Lair. If they can do Orthanac, they can do Smaug's Lair...just think of all the gold pieces!

http://now.msn.com/lego-friends-playsets-for-girls-face-criticism

I am at a lost here. I know we are slightly bias for LEGO but this criticism is very idiotic at best. Why should LEGO not make set specifically for girls? I mean really LEGO inherently is boy toys. The themes are thing that mostly resonated with boys like sport cars, heroes, sci-fi. Not that girls can't like these things but girls will always gravitate more toward subjects that they enjoy (cutesiness stuffs) like pets, animals, and bakery. I means how is the set not empowering girls, they have their own yacht.

I am consider myself pretty modern man (despite my old ages) and I am all for equality and gender neutral. But there are differences between boy and girl. My daughter plays video games, watch all sci-fi and super heroes shows with my son and I and enjoy them to the extent, but when building LEGO Star Wars as much as she enjoys building them I knew she prefers something that not so "boyish" fantasy. I wish when she was younger we have theme like Friends.

Ponn

Banned

I am at a lost here. I know we are slightly bias for LEGO but this criticism is very idiotic at best. Why should LEGO not make set specifically for girls? I mean really LEGO inherently is boy toys. The themes are thing that mostly resonated with boys like sport cars, heroes, sci-fi. Not that girls can't like these things but girls will always gravitate more toward subjects that they enjoys (cutsies stuffs) like pets, animals, and bakery. I means how is the set not empowering girls, they have their own yacht.

I am consider myself pretty modern man (despite my old ages) and I am all for equality and gender neutral. But we there are difference between boy and girls. My daughter plays video games, watch all sci-fi and super heroes shows with my son and I and enjoy them to the extent, but when building LEGO Star Wars as much as she enjoys building them I knew she prefers something that not so "boyish" fantasy. I wish when she was younger we have theme like Friends.

Also with that argument what are they saying about boys or guys who like those sets?

Boys don't like details? Bull...I know plenty of boys who go for sets with a nice interior, I like seeing them myself. I like how they ignore the sets in the Friends line that aren't traditional female oriented sets like the karate one, the science one or...I guess even the magician one. The criticism about the figures not being able to bend or move like the regular ones...it almost just reads like nitpicking.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I am at a lost here. I know we are slightly bias for LEGO but this criticism is very idiotic at best. Why should LEGO not make set specifically for girls? I mean really LEGO inherently is boy toys. The themes are thing that mostly resonated with boys like sport cars, heroes, sci-fi. Not that girls can't like these things but girls will always gravitate more toward subjects that they enjoys (cutsies stuffs) like pets, animals, and bakery. I means how is the set not empowering girls, they have their own yacht.

I am consider myself pretty modern man (despite my old ages) and I am all for equality and gender neutral. But we there are difference between boy and girls. My daughter plays video games, watch all sci-fi and super heroes shows with my son and I and enjoy them to the extent, but when building LEGO Star Wars as much as she enjoys building them I knew she prefers something that not so "boyish" fantasy. I wish when she was younger we have theme like Friends.

Stoped reading the article after

"and why none of the boys' sets include any female figures or superheroes. "

Because that's just bullshit. There's female characters in every LEGO theme.

Rootbeer

Banned
Rumor time!

SDCC will see a full reveal of the Desolation of Smaug sets, including the dragon himself!
Excite!
Stoped reading the article after

"and why none of the boys' sets include any female figures or superheroes. "

Because that's just bullshit. There's female characters in every LEGO theme.
There is a serious lack of boy figures in the "Friends" theme though! Except for the dad in one set. I saw we finally do have some sets coming soon that have more male figures though. Bout time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

[The little women can't use their legs or wrists. "That sort of sends a message about what we expect women being able to do physically,"]

Yes, it sends the message girls are physically incompetent and they need to keep their legs together. The shape of their hands also send a sexual message of what their expected to do too.

What a bunch of Bullstuff! Since when haven't girls AND boys have specialized toys? Why do the boys toys have spaceships, guns, swords, etc?

I agree that boys and girls tend to gravitate towards toys that interest them. LEGO was aimed at both in the early days but I'm sure sales were much higher to the boy demographic than girls. Anyway, that was a weak article at best.

Anyone here ever see "boy" or "girl" placed on the box to indicate which sex the toy is for? I just see age. Who's putting labels on those toys?

Dangit, you said everything and more than I said all with one photo.

Matt

Anyone here ever see "boy" or "girl" placed on the box to indicate which sex the toy is for? I just see age. Who's putting labels on those toys?

To be fair, S@H has a specific category called "Girls," with a list of Legos that:

"Inspire her imagination as she gains dexterity and problem-solving skills. With LEGO® toys for girls, your little one can build exciting creations with LEGO Pink Brick Buckets, develop her own Friends adventures or simply discover her passion for play. Browse our toys for your LEGO girl and let her dream, design and build at every age."

I was actually a little surprised when I saw it.

ghostmind

To be fair, S@H has a specific category called "Girls," with a list of Legos that:

"Inspire her imagination as she gains dexterity and problem-solving skills. With LEGO® toys for girls, your little one can build exciting creations with LEGO Pink Brick Buckets, develop her own Friends adventures or simply discover her passion for play. Browse our toys for your LEGO girl and let her dream, design and build at every age."

I was actually a little surprised when I saw it.

Looks at "Girls" category on S@H... yup there is all the Friends sets... and the new CREATOR houses... and the Architecture line... and the Modular Buildings... and the large-scale Sydney Opera House?

Yeah, they should get rid of that category, as it seems completely arbitrary.

Ainaurdur

Looks at "Girls" category on S@H... yup there is all the Friends sets... and the new CREATOR houses... and the Architecture line... and the Modular Buildings... and the large-scale Sydney Opera House?

Yeah, they should get rid of that category, as it seems completely arbitrary.

Encouraging girls to become interested in architecture? That's sexist!*
*sarcasm*

I really see nothing wrong in Lego providing things for girls specifically. Not like they have ever excluded girls from the other standard themes, or that boys cannot play with the Friends line.
The people who get all angst ridden over these perceived gender issues need to get their panties untwisted. ;)

ghostmind

As someone who has complained about the unfurnished interiors on the CREATOR houses, and wished that they would be more like Olivia's House, I take offence to the notion that boys only care about the exterior of a set.

My picture speaks truth.

All these comments on the article, and no one here comments that the headline says "Legos" in it?

I've voiced my opinion on this many times, and I'll do so again.

I initially found the Friends branding exceedingly patronizing. I didn't feel I was being specifically targeted as a male so I was insulted that LEGO would find it necessary to do so in an effort to appeal to girls. Everything from the mini-doll design to the color scheme and subject matter seemed really insulting. This was right around the time that I'd re-built the sets I had from 1980/1981. I had a renewed interest in the brand and against my better judgement, I bought my daughter one of the small Friends sets featuring a character with whom she shares a name. I thought she'd get a kick out of it.

I was stunned to discover two things:

1) My daughter was enthralled with every aspect of it, especially the accessories
2) The set design was amazing, despite the fact it was tiny. It was the first set I'd built that had been made in the last 20+ years.

It wasn't long after this that my daughter got the Vampyre Castle for her birthday and she went on a bit of a Monster Fighters run. Once she got Olivia's House and a few of the shops however, she was lost. There was to be no reigning her in from the precipice of the Friends sinkhole. It's the only theme she cares about and she legitimately loves the mini-dolls. I find their minifig discrepancies frustrating, but to her they are defining LEGO tent poles.

I bought the Alien Conquest HQ thing on sale, along with the Gold Leader Y Wing. You know what my kid did? She immediately extricated the female marine and Princess Leia from their respective sets and invited them to Olivia's House.

As much as we'd like to pretend boys and girls are the same, we aren't. The Friends theme does a great job of pandering to exactly what little girls want, and since the same minds are crafting those sets I am happy to support them. I got her the Summer Riding Camp set and she is going to lose her mind when she gets it on Friday. I could have gotten her the Haunted House but she simply wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

Speaking of her birthday, I'm taking her to LEGOLand Discover Center tomorrow. I've heard it's a huge disappointment, but we're both still excited.

Here is the link to original article about girls LEGO, which was a discussion on NPR.

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=196605763

I find this stat both interesting and disturbing that just two years ago 90 percent of the kids that play with LEGO are boys. But then again it's not surprising since LEGO focus more toward themes that are very much boys oriented (ie licensed products), so I don't see what is so wrong about having girls oriented theme. I think that speak more to gender equality than anything else. I don't think gender equality should mean that boys and girls must have the same toys, genders equality should mean that in today world, toys maker should cater to girls just as much as they cater to boys.

Fowler

In no order:
Death Star
Haunted House
Pet Shop
And uhhhhh.... Yeah. Picking a fifth is tough. My heart is going for R2-D2. But the above three would remain.

I have... only the Death Star. But when I move into my new place I'll have more space to go for something else. Had my eye on R2-D2 for a while, this might push me over the edge...

Meh. Paypal charged me $30 for getting my money (after 21 days) and I figured that included the selling fee since Paypal and Ebay are the same company. Nope. Ebay are charging my selling fees now, another $67.

Back, after quite a fun time. Got 20% off, so I grabbed 30 semi-random figs, including 15 (!) series 1! For series 2 I just took whatever I couldn't identify as something I didn't specifically want.

Gonna open them tonight. If I have time tomorrow before I leave, I might hoover the bin for any additional series 1. I'm assuming that people here can take them off my hands if I don't want them...

Jimbro72

Bricklink them. I've slowly been doing this. Add them to your wish list and wait for a good price.

The individual figs or a whole series? I suppose I should register on Bricklink then. I did take a little bit of a look a few months ago after I got my series 9 order and was still missing a few and noticed a lot of sellers seem to only sell the figure, with no base plate and no accessories. Is that kind of the norm on there? I, of course, would want the figures complete with everything that comes in the package. For series 1-8, I'll probably just try to buy a full set on ebay when I get around to it but at $50+ per series, that's going to add up quick, plus it's not a huge priority for me right now. I should, at least, finish off my series 9 and 10, though.

The individual figs or a whole series? I suppose I should register on Bricklink then. I did take a little bit of a look a few months ago after I got my series 9 order and was still missing a few and noticed a lot of sellers seem to only sell the figure, with no base plate and no accessories. Is that kind of the norm on there? I, of course, would want the figures complete with everything that comes in the package. For series 1-8, I'll probably just try to buy a full set on ebay when I get around to it but at $50+ per series, that's going to add up quick, plus it's not a huge priority for me right now. I should, at least, finish off my series 9 and 10, though.

I haven't got an entire series off there, just individuals. I contact the seller to confirm that the figs have all accessories and a baseplate before I purchase. Once you sign up you can add the ones you want to your wish list and then you'll receive email updates when new ones are added to the site. Bricklink took a bit to get used to, but I love it now.

LEGO Discovery Center is surprisingly fun. The brick-built models of Toronto are amazing, and the scale replica of Olivia's house is pretty neat.

I felt I would be remiss if I didn't post to the thread while sitting on a bench made of LEGO. Crappy iPhone pics to follow.

R-User!

It should be over 1k in pieces and I want several hundred in gold pieces...at least 500 pieces

That's why I said minimum... :)

I would love between 3-500 hundred gold pieces... Especially those 1x1 round tiles; they look like coins, and they would allow me to make my project that needs a LOT of gold...
$$$

rallaren

Completed Extremis Sea Port Battle and was positively surprised with the finished product. Most Lego sets are cooler in person than on picture thankfully. There are clear pieces inside it that you can't see from the outside though - odd.

Top Bottom