• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Hello, I'm a GAF Lego addict, I just spent $500+ on Legos because of this thread
Wellllllcoooooome...
pinhead_lego_1.jpg

iuuk

Apparently I'm just one of the victims of this thread. You buy one little set, start reading one little thread, and all of a sudden you have more Lego than you can afford.

Anyway; I just built my Sopwith Camel (will post pics tomorrow) and I've got three problems... I'm sure I did something wrong, but I checked again and again;
1. After building I had two ropes and two of those smooth round bricks left, those can't be extras, yet all ropes are accounted for. The two round ones I used for problem two, even though the manual didn't tell me to.
2. The way the joystick was supposed to make me control the wing flaps kept popping out. I used those two round bricks to keep the bar in place, but since the manual didn't tell me to, that could not have been intended.
3. Two other ropes are a bit loose, but I guess I should have placed them at a different angle, that's an easy fix.

It looks the part now, but I had to adjust for point 2 and am being laughed at by two ropes. What on earth did I do wrong.

Nitemare1

So I had every intention of finishing up some Christmas shopping this afternoon when all of a sudden this happened!
:/
Merry Christmas to me I guess!

hob.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So i picked up Barrel Escape and Warg Attack with the Toys R Us deal. Even with TRU tax, $85 for both seemed a good deal.

Lacking only Goblin King battle, I am convinced that 13 dwarves will not fit into bag end...

Let's leave out the UCS Millenium Falcon).

Lets not.

Vyer

So I see the $400 Super Star Destroyer and apparently these sets are only available for a couple years at a time. What are some huge sets that preceded this one?

I haven't touched a LEGO brick in nearly two decades and I'm not even a huge Star Wars geek but that Super Star Destroyer looks incredible.

You should buy it. You totally won't want any other LEGO after that and I doubt you'll need to spend any more money later.

O7B8i.gif

If you all got to pick one Lego set from all the sets Lego has ever manufactured (with a no resell clause), what would you pick?

(Considering the large number of Lego Star Wars fans here, let's leave out the UCS Millenium Falcon).

The Black Skull pirate ship for me. I remember wanting this so much as a kid.

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6286-1

UCS Millenium Falcon is the king of wanted sets. NOTHING comes close to it. I remember gawking at the box while at a Lego store back years ago and lamenting how I wouldn't be able to take that box as a carry on on my flight home. Nor could I afford it at the time either.

But, excluding the UCS Falcon (which is a lame rule.), I would go for the Taj Mahal.

Also, Lego.com has free shipping for orders of $49 or more. That is stoopid easy to achieve. They also list Haunted House, Fire Brigade, and Grand Emporium as available now.

Sorry, but the UCS Falcon is the ultimate LEGO set for me, until something comes along to knock it from its throne.

Exactly. It was the perfect combination of being mini fig scaled, insanely detailed and complex, and a giant beast of a set. Now you add in the white whale aspect of it since it is gone away, and you have the perfect set.

I would love it if they would rerelease it or do some modification to it to not make the original owners mad.

I really don't know of any Star Wars set that could supplant it as the ultimate set. It is THE iconic Star Wars ship.

Chuck

Still without luck
2009-02-27-professor_farnsworth.jpg

So next week we're getting a lot of 2013 stuff. I'll just rattle them off. All of Chima's first wave, the rest of the new Friends sets, Ninja Turtles, the new Batman sets along with Spiderman, Hoth, A-wing and a couple other Star Wars sets. All that plus minifigure series 9, new Duplo, and some other schtuff.

Best part is that all but TMNT (Dec 19) and Chima (Jan 1) are sell-on-arrival sets! Including the new minifigs! This means look for all of them at your local backwards letter having Lego selling retailer, which will totally sell them all and then lie about not knowing they shouldn't! ¬_¬

But yeah, cool stuff coming. A-wing for me for sure.

So next week we're getting a lot of 2013 stuff. I'll just rattle them off. All of Chima's first wave, the rest of the new Friends sets, Ninja Turtles, the new Batman sets along with Spiderman, Hoth, A-wing and a couple other Star Wars sets. All that plus minifigure series 9, new Duplo, and some other schtuff.

Best part is that all but TMNT (Dec 19) and Chima (Jan 1) are sell-on-arrival sets! Including the new minifigs! This means look for all of them at your local backwards letter having Lego selling retailer, which will totally sell them all and then lie about not knowing they shouldn't! ¬_¬

Guess that means I go on a mini figure hunt at TRU. Their markup n those is tolerable.

ghostmind

To the LEGO store!

(on Monday)

Chuck

Still without luck
To the LEGO store!

(on Monday)

Just so you know, our shipments are being broken up throughout the week. Not sure how other Lego stores are handling it all, so you should call them up to make sure. Also, ask them to check and make sure because seasonal employees... are what the are. Don't say I told you though... <_<

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So a few Hobbit set reviews.

Attack of the Wargs:
As with previous Hobbit sets, the minifigs are excellent. The new Warg figures are fantastic. The rock outcropping pieces are pretty bland, but the Tree was actually a neat build. Just one, giant tree. Was neat to see it come together.

7/10

Barrel Escape:
This was actually. For being such a small set there were a few hidden elements that were neat. The barrels are a nice piece you don't' see much, and there are several wine bottle and wine glass pieces for other uses.
8/10

Getting both of these sets for $85 with Toys R Us "buy one get one half off" sale was worth it.

So far with the Hobbit sets...

Unexpected Gathering >>> Barrel Escape > Attack of the Wargs >>>> Mirkwood Spiders

I think it's been at that price for a while. I bought it at that price last month. Box is still on the floor where I left it after bringing it inside.

ghostmind

Apparently LEGO jumped the gun on revealing the Lone Ranger theme, and were asked by Disney to retract it, so currently the URL goes nowhere.

R-User!

I think it's been at that price for a while. I bought it at that price last month. Box is still on the floor where I left it after bringing it inside.

No. I had it in my cart at 259.99 for the last 2-3 weeks checking it daily ever since it went into Retiring Soon status and before that.

But your right that it WAS 209.00 before; when you bought it, but I didn't jump on it then because it wasn't a priority until it went to Bye Bye status...

Ah. Jump on that shit then.

I know I have a problem because I'm thinking I could consolidate some shelf space in the kitchen to store more Lego.

neonglow

I purchased the Mini Modulars from the Black Friday sale and have been building a building each day. It felt like a chore connecting all the small pieces since there was so many for each building. After building this, I will probably skip out on all Architecture sets.

8268238687_a4cdc0f7d3_z.jpg

R-User!

I purchased the Mini Modulars from the Black Friday sale and have been building a building each day. It felt like a chore connecting all the small pieces since there was so many for each building. After building this, I will probably skip out on all Architecture sets.

8268238687_a4cdc0f7d3_z.jpg

Yeah, looking at that set built in a display in a Lego store allowed me to realize that the ppb ratio was good but deceptive: lots of pieces, but mostly tiny pieces... :/ or at least that's how it looked; is it true? Is it mostly tiny pieces?

EDIT: I got an email an hour ago saying that the 30% off 1 item in store coupon was being offered again to Barnes & Noble Members, so those that are members and want a good deal, use that coupon!

P.S. At my local Barnes, they have 2 Queen Anne's Revenge, and like 6 Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator for 85 bucks and 50 respectively!

Phonciple? I read reviews about QARevenge, and they said that there wasn't much to the playability factor of the Ship. What're your thoughts on Playability vs Displayability in regards to QARevenge?

My local Fred Meyer is doing 30% off select Lego sets. It includes a lot of Creator stuff (including Truck Carrying another Truck) and the Vampyre Castle. So I got me a $70 castle. YAY!

tl;dr: Check Fred Meyer for Lego sales.

iuuk

Must my favourite set be one I own or one I do not yet own? Because the one I really wanted is one I can't really shut up about and got me back into Lego, with a lot of help from this thread; the Imperial Flagship. If it's one I do not yet own it's the Taj Mahal. The UCS Falcon is the only one I would rather have than the flagship.

Also; pictures:

And here's my problem, the manual told me to do this:
Which kept popping out, so I did this with two extra parts (that couldn't have been extra, where should they go):

Anyone who built the Sopwith that can tell me if this was supposed to be solved with the long and short extra rope I've got?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Taj Mahal bring back sour memories of Lego. I actually built my own version years before that release for a school project and I thought it was good enough to send a photo to the Lego Club. Did I get in? Hell no. Instead they put in crappy models including people who just built retail models.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ultimate set (excluding UCS falcon which obviously wins)?

I'd say either Imperial Flagship to go with our QAR, or Green Grocer which is the only modular I'm missing (assuming I don't count market street)

No. I had it in my cart at 259.99 for the last 2-3 weeks checking it daily ever since it went into Retiring Soon status and before that.

But your right that it WAS 209.00 before; when you bought it, but I didn't jump on it then because it wasn't a priority until it went to Bye Bye status...

Congrats. A beast of a set.

EDIT: I got an email an hour ago saying that the 30% off 1 item in store coupon was being offered again to Barnes & Noble Members, so those that are members and want a good deal, use that coupon!

P.S. At my local Barnes, they have 2 Queen Anne's Revenge, and like 6 Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator for 85 bucks and 50 respectively!

Phonciple? I read reviews about QARevenge, and they said that there wasn't much to the playability factor of the Ship. What're your thoughts on Playability vs Displayability in regards to QARevenge?

I was about to post about the coupon. Thanks. Hoping my local BN gets Hobbit sets in this weekend. I know they are expecting them soon. Getting one for 30% off would be nice.

And QAR is a great set. Looks fantastic when done, but the playability is ok. It does come with functioning LEGO cannons though. :) I did buy it just for parts though.

R-User!

ultimate set (excluding UCS falcon which obviously wins)?

I'd say either Imperial Flagship to go with our QAR, or Green Grocer which is the only modular I'm missing (assuming I don't count market street)

I read some reviews that weren't too fond of the QAR... If you or
Phonciple Bone
(or any one else that has QAR) don't mind would you share with me what parts of the set you like vs the parts you don't? (if there is anything that you don't like about the set. You opinions will be greatly appreciated because in 5 hours I might buy one for 85$ 0_o

Edit: Phonciple woke up!

I read some reviews that weren't too fond of the QAR... If you or Phonciple Bone (or any one else that has QAR) don't mind would you share with me what parts of the set you like vs the parts you don't? (if there is anything that you don't like about the set. You opinions will be greatly appreciated because in 5 hours I might buy one for 85$ 0_o

QAR is the only set out there right now that you can get the ship hull pieces in. If you have any intentions of making your own ships, that is the one to get until the Corsair ships from LOTR hit or you can stumble on the Black Pearl. Those pieces alone were what made me want the QAR.

Other than that, it has some neat work to get the masts stable on it, and lots of good little detail pieces throughout. One surprise that I didnt know about until I looked on the back of the box is that it comes with tons of mini figure skulls. It is a completely random part to get excited about, but it is a cool thing to have.

It is also a nice set because of how few and far between ships are, so you dont really build similar sets often. Seeing how you can easily MOC your own ships from it is worth it for me. Look at it as an extra credit course in your LEGO college. Ship building 101.

Phonciple woke up!
With a nutritious breakfast of oatmeal and mountain dew!

So do some of you guys actually build your own creations on a big scale and display them here sometimes? I'd be interested in seeing some huge custom built ships or the like once in a while to see what is possible :)

So do some of you guys actually build your own creations on a big scale and display them here sometimes? I'd be interested in seeing some huge custom built ships or the like once in a while to see what is possible :)

When I get back from work I will post some of my MOC modular buildings. I put one of them in the OP. For ships I still need to take apart QARevenge though. My MOC grounds for Haunted House are somewhere in the thread too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I read some reviews that weren't too fond of the QAR... If you or
Phonciple Bone
(or any one else that has QAR) don't mind would you share with me what parts of the set you like vs the parts you don't? (if there is anything that you don't like about the set. You opinions will be greatly appreciated because in 5 hours I might buy one for 85$ 0_o

Edit: Phonciple woke up!

its pretty swooshable for a large set. Huge and spiky (with the masts etc) but not much falls off - a few skeletons here and there.

Its an imposing and impressive display piece and very playable and sturdy. I don't have any other ships to compare it too but I like it a lot.

Need Bricklink advice guys:

Some dude on there that i contacted is suggesting that he can lower the price a tiny bit if we do the transaction WITHOUT passing through Bricklink.

a) Has anyone here ever done that? Is it safe?

b) Why would he even suggest this? Does Bricklink take a fee for each accomplished transaction that he wants to save or what?

c) Does this deal make sense and should i jump on it if the price is right?

You're covered via PayPal at least.

Yeah in this case he offers PayPal or simple bank transfer which would be even cheaper, tempted to go for it since he DOES have like 1500+ reviews on Bricklink which are mostly positive, just wanna make sure there isn't a history of fraud with such deals or something that i have overlooked. Well that, plus i am getting a little skeptic since i wonder what's in it for HIM if he lowers the price just for bypassing BrickLink...

So it looks like the Amazon Lighning Deal for 6am PST is gonna be the Modulars Town Hall, if they have it for less than what Walmart and Target are selling it for (179), should I jump on it?

Need Bricklink advice guys:

Some dude on there that i contacted is suggesting that he can lower the price a tiny bit if we do the transaction WITHOUT passing through Bricklink.

a) Has anyone here ever done that? Is it safe?

b) Why would he even suggest this? Does Bricklink take a fee for each accomplished transaction that he wants to save or what?

c) Does this deal make sense and should i jump on it if the price is right?

not come accross that before, not sure what he has to gain from that deal... :?

Top Bottom