• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I wonder when we'll start seeing the LEGO Man of Steel and Iron Man 3 sets? I wonder if they'll do full a full theme (of 5 sets) for each movie or just integrate 1 or 2 sets into the Super Hero theme.

I have a hard time thinking they'll do full themes with the amount of new and returning themes next year.

I think they'll just integrate them into the existing Marvel & DC themes. TDKR's 2013 set counts as a DC Super Heroes theme set.

R-User!

will there be TMNT mini fig keychains you think?

Arnold+Jackson.png

Whatchoo tryin ta get dem turtles?

What was that exclusive Friends set you bought if you bought one of those sets during that time period? Just noticed it ends today and well I can't go today...=O

Made an impulse buy at TRU today: An Unexpected Gathering! Surprisingly, there was no TRU markup. It was $85 CDN, same as S@H. Can't wait to start in on it. Sooooo much green. Sam needs to trim dat verge.

Cyrillus

Something weird I've noticed over the past week or so:

Amazon Warehouse Deals hasn't really updated their LEGO supplies at all in the last week. I'm wondering if this is an "it's almost Christmas" type thing, simply a coincidence and they haven't received any damaged stock, or if they might be just stopping selling LEGO in the Warehouse Deals section of the site?

Hopefully not the latter.

Something weird I've noticed over the past week or so:

Amazon Warehouse Deals hasn't really updated their LEGO supplies at all in the last week. I'm wondering if this is an "it's almost Christmas" type thing, simply a coincidence and they haven't received any damaged stock, or if they might be just stopping selling LEGO in the Warehouse Deals section of the site?

Hopefully not the latter.

Yeah, I've noticed dwindling stock since Thanksgiving. I just took it as stock is selling out as soon as it's listed. Holiday shopping season and all, right?

Hmmm. Lego.com jobs section has an opening for a Lego Store manager for Danbury. I dont see any other stores for Danbury in any state, so that might mean we are finally getting a store here in CT.

Sadly, it is 70 miles from me, so no need for me to apply there. That commute would be killer. But if it does open, that means I can drive there for my purchases when I need to. :)

It was like a 20 piece bag set with olivia, a desk and a computer. same Olivia from the adventure camper and her house.

edit: found a pic

That was the Target polybag during halloween. I almost grabbed it, but waited too long.

Speaking of Friends, I noticed on Lego.com that Olivia's Speedboat is retiring soon. That was fast. Perhaps it will be replaced by Olivia's Supervillain Yacht next year.

Also, I finally saw the pic for Emma's Karate Class. This is, in all honesty, high up on my most wanted sets right now:
41002-1.jpg

Also looked at the guitar in the Rehearsal Stage set:
41004-1.jpg

DAT AXE!

R-User!

Hmmm. Lego.com jobs section has an opening for a Lego Store manager for Danbury. I dont see any other stores for Danbury in any state, so that might mean we are finally getting a store here in CT.

Sadly, it is 70 miles from me, so no need for me to apply there. That commute would be killer. But if it does open, that means I can drive there for my purchases when I need to. :)

That's cool if it does open there! :)

Edit: and you'll probably be in it on Black Friday morning to get dem deals!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Also, I finally saw the pic for Emma's Karate Class. This is, in all honesty, high up on my most wanted sets right now:
41002-1.jpg

I want to get that for my wife that has black hair and does karate (its a mini version of her :) ) but I don't think it'll be out here in the UK by Christmas.

Ironmask

Lego and Kids:

my daughter will be 3yrs old soon, she's having a good time swapping heads and hair of the minifig and doing some pretty good towers.
here are her current sets:
a lot of my doubles minifig
alot of duplos
4625-1.jpg

6785-1.jpg

I'm ashamed to say that i've bught her this majesty:

I know that she's too young to play with it but it was almost 60% off at a retail store!
The building itself is pretty standard but i had a good time doing all the interiors and the garden (nice touches everywhere)....
....She instead finds more fun on collecting all the plants and hiding them in her "secret jungle" under the sofà :) I really hope it will arrive in pristine conditions when she'll finally be able to play with it

iuuk

yea, that means you can even change the colours of the buses/trams if you like :D
Thanks both, I'm afraid I'm going to have to do something like that, LEGO has become almost too popular.

Is there actually anyone who knows when exactly this (adult) revival of LEGO started? I've been hearing more and more about it for the last couple of years, but now it's up to the point where you can make a way better profit as a hobby-speculator than games before.
Not that that is my intention, but I've seen LEGO sellers pop up like mushrooms. A year ago I had no trouble finding a just OOP Imperial Flagship for 150, now the Imperial Shuttle is even closer to its LEGO store exit and it's already experiencing inflation.

(Sorry for the ramblings to interrupt the nice set talk, but it baffles me how fast it seems to go.)

Ironmask

Thanks both, I'm afraid I'm going to have to do something like that, LEGO has become almost too popular.

Is there actually anyone who knows when exactly this (adult) revival of LEGO started? I've been hearing more and more about it for the last couple of years, but now it's up to the point where you can make a way better profit as a hobby-speculator than games before.
Not that that is my intention, but I've seen LEGO sellers pop up like mushrooms. A year ago I had no trouble finding a just OOP Imperial Flagship for 150, now the Imperial Shuttle is even closer to its LEGO store exit and it's already experiencing inflation.

(Sorry for the ramblings to interrupt the nice set talk, but it baffles me how fast it seems to go.)

Personally, having a baby and finding collectables minifigs at my local store where the start of everything

rataven

I think Lego actually started the adult craze! A few years back, they polled AFoL to see what kind of sets the older crowd might be interested in, and a few new lines, like the modulars (and to some extent the architecture series), were released as a result of that poll. They've been quite successful, so I definitely think it worked! And recently, they've branched out from those lines with a few solo sets, like the VW Camper and Sopwith Camel, that touch on a very specific nostalgia for adults.

As for the increase in aftermarket sellers, I can only guess they saw what discontinued sets like Cafe Corner and Taj Mahal go for these days, and wanted to jump on that. But honestly, I don't think prices will ever get quite that high again with recent sets. Most Lego fans have caught on to how the Lego product lifecycle works, so hopefully the need for buying aftermarket will decrease a bit.

iuuk

I think Lego actually started the adult craze! A few years back, they polled AFoL to see what kind of sets the older crowd might be interested in, and a few new lines, like the modulars (and to some extent the architecture series), were released as a result of that poll. They've been quite successful, so I definitely think it worked! And recently, they've branched out from those lines with a few solo sets, like the VW Camper and Sopwith Camel, that touch on a very specific nostalgia for adults.

As for the increase in aftermarket sellers, I can only guess they saw what discontinued sets like Cafe Corner and Taj Mahal go for these days, and wanted to jump on that. But honestly, I don't think prices will ever get quite that high again with recent sets. Most Lego fans have caught on to how the Lego product lifecycle works, so hopefully the need for buying aftermarket will decrease a bit.
I guess I find it amazing how successful LEGO has been. I also agree with you on the aftermarket sales, but the Imperial Flagship I mentioned earlier shows that you'll still pay if you miss a set. A shame too, because I would still like to buy the Emerald Night to own a train, car (VW) and airplane (Sopwith).

Also, on a related note, I'm finally able to really build my Sopwith Camel (and later Fire Brigade), can't wait.

ruxtpin

Banned
This thread is the sole reason I'm back into Lego. I started browsing the first one after I saw the title and thought, "oh, I used to be into Lego when I was a kid, so this should a be fun read."

Then I started seeing modulars. Then I went to the local Lego store. Then I bought my first set. Then I bought a "few more." Then I joined a support group.

How did I get into adult lego? This thread is satan, that's how.

No really, Holy Shit I spent all my money on kids' toys.

next ot title someday: "Buy A UCS set, go broke, live in its box"

darkwing

This thread is the sole reason I'm back into Lego. I started browsing the first one after I saw the title and thought, "oh, I used to be into Lego when I was a kid, so this should a be fun read."

Then I started seeing modulars. Then I went to the local Lego store. Then I bought my first set. Then I bought a "few more." Then I joined a support group.

Hello, I'm a GAF Lego addict, I just spent $500+ on Legos because of this thread

LOL this thread really is evil, i had no interest in Legos before even, and now i am hunting for sets left and right damnit!!!

Anyway serious question: i just found out about this Bricklink site and after seeing a pretty good deal on a set i see that this guy only has (1) feedback.

Now i know the deal with ebay etc that you should always buy from people with lots of positive feedback yadda yadda but in short i just wanna know is this site reliable in GENERAL or did you guys have negative experiences there? Not sure if i should jump on this hmm then again, how is the guy ever gonna get positive feedback if everyone thinks like this lol...

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
So I see the $400 Super Star Destroyer and apparently these sets are only available for a couple years at a time. What are some huge sets that preceded this one?

I haven't touched a LEGO brick in nearly two decades and I'm not even a huge Star Wars geek but that Super Star Destroyer looks incredible.

Yup, this thread and it's predecessor are the reason I got back into LEGO this year. Before, I'd get one set a year as a traditional Christmas gift. But this thread fully reignited my love for LEGO bad I bought the entire Alien Conquest line and spent almost $400 on other stuff on S@H and in the Santa Clara store.

LOL this thread really is evil, i had no interest in Legos before even, and now i am hunting for sets left and right damnit!!!

Anyway serious question: i just found out about this Bricklink site and after seeing a pretty good deal on a set i see that this guy only has (1) feedback.

Now i know the deal with ebay etc that you should always buy from people with lots of positive feedback yadda yadda but in short i just wanna know is this site reliable in GENERAL or did you guys have negative experiences there? Not sure if i should jump on this hmm then again, how is the guy ever gonna get positive feedback if everyone thinks like this lol...

With all my dealings (12) on Bricklink I have had no bad experience, be it with people who have 3000 or 30 positive ratings. I feel its far more chummy than ebay, because everyone is into the same weird shit as you xD

factorybelt

Neo Member
So I see the $400 Super Star Destroyer and apparently these sets are only available for a couple years at a time. What are some huge sets that preceded this one?

I haven't touched a LEGO brick in nearly two decades and I'm not even a huge Star Wars geek but that Super Star Destroyer looks incredible.

Most of the Ultimate Collectors Series fits your criteria for Star Wars, the Millenium Falcon being the hallmark of that particular line. In general, there are more huge "adult oriented" sets than ever, across several themes.

factorybelt

Neo Member
Hmmm, i am wondering on Bricklink there are tons of deals that say "new, sealed" for sets that are selling at a much lower price than they originally cost! Is there something fishy going on here or why are some stores selling so low while others charge double or more the amount?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Hmmm, i am wondering on Bricklink there are tons of deals that say "new, sealed" for sets that are selling at a much lower price than they originally cost! Is there something fishy going on here or why are some stores selling so low while others charge double or more the amount?

There are actually a lot of individuals/small stores who buy in LEGO sets from distributors at a similar price that large retailers do. This is why they can initially sell you these sets lower than retail price.

Some sell these sets at a premium if they're one of the first to carry it, or if the set is OOP. There are storage rooms filled with brand new UCS/Modular sets waiting to be sold at a premium once they go OOP :)

darkwing

There are actually a lot of individuals/small stores who buy in LEGO sets from distributors at a similar price that large retailers do. This is why they can initially sell you these sets lower than retail price.

Some sell these sets at a premium if they're one of the first to carry it, or if the set is OOP. There are storage rooms filled with brand new UCS/Modular sets waiting to be sold at a premium once they go OOP :)

yup OOP Lego sets can be quite profitable , yeah hoarding XD

Yup, this thread and it's predecessor are the reason I got back into LEGO this year. Before, I'd get one set a year as a traditional Christmas gift. But this thread fully reignited my love for LEGO bad I bought the entire Alien Conquest line and spent almost $400 on other stuff on S@H and in the Santa Clara store.

I just started using bricklink myself, so far so good, everything that I have ordered has arrived without problems.

So bummed I am likely to miss The Zombies, but there's really nothing to be done for it. =/ Ah well.

That was the Target polybag during halloween. I almost grabbed it, but waited too long.

The LEGO store was giving them away, too. I got one with my riding camp purchase.

Speaking of Friends, I noticed on Lego.com that Olivia's Speedboat is retiring soon. That was fast. Perhaps it will be replaced by Olivia's Supervillain Yacht next year.

There are a LOT of Friends sets rotating out, pretty much all the small first wave sets are going/gone, including the excellent Dog Show. This goes for everyone: buy the Tree House. Fantastic set, $20, might be gone soon. Buy it.

The speedboat is also a nice little set, particularly combined with the seaplane/dock set.

41002-1.jpg

This was insta-buy for me. ;p $10! How have you not ordered it yet??

How did I get into adult lego? This thread is satan, that's how.

No really, Holy Shit I spent all my money on kids' toys.

next ot title someday: "Buy A UCS set, go broke, live in its box"

Hello, I'm a GAF Lego addict, I just spent $500+ on Legos because of this thread

It is not without cause that the Sopranos are a theme in this thread. We make it so easy to ruin your life.

With blocks.

Top Bottom