• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Ainaurdur

Ok so generally speaking the models that are out right now (2012 line probably) how long will they be available for (if they're not limited?) until they are discontinued?

2 years seems to be the generally safe estimate to be able to find sets at msrp. Some might go OOP sooner or later though.

ruxtpin

Banned
2 years seems to be the generally safe estimate to be able to find sets at msrp. Some might go OOP sooner or later though.

Monster Fighter's are supposed to be good evidence of that fact. I thought those would stick around a bit longer, but they're a line that is - supposedly - going OOP now (I believe).

R-User!

Wait...monster Fighters is going out?

I heard from a Lego store manager that the Monster Fighters line would be around until next holiday season, but I would watch and get those sets little by little until you have all that you want so that you don't miss any.

Haunted House
Vampyre Castle
Ghost Train
The Zombies: exclusive to target and Lego stores
Crazy Scientist and Frankenstein
Vampyre Hearse
Werewolf
Zombie Horse
Swamp Creature

There might be one or two that I'm missing from memory, but get em while you can! :)

icespide

Banned
damn I didn't realize that toys r us really jacks up lego prices. If I waited a few weeks I could have gotten the tmnt van set for $60 instead of $80. live and learn I guess

R-User!

damn I didn't realize that toys r us really jacks up lego prices. If I waited a few weeks I could have gotten the tmnt van set for $60 instead of $80. live and learn I guess

Now you know our pain.

Edit: Annnnnd The Grand Emporium has arrived today from S@H!! 0_o
It's a surprise gift for her: she thinks she's getting Fire Brigade, but that's the twist!; I'm getting Fire Brigade for my birthday in February! :)

She's getting Town Hall for Valentines day!

By the way, is there any decent medieval building that looks like an inn? If I keep making my RPG characters in Lego, I might want something as a diorama to display them with. The best thing would be a modular type building, I guess.

Monster Fighter's are supposed to be good evidence of that fact. I thought those would stick around a bit longer, but they're a line that is - supposedly - going OOP now (I believe).

I think this has basically been disproven. There are still plenty of MF sets on the shelf at my local store, they are getting more in, and s@h gets more in early next year.

By the way, is there any decent medieval building that looks like an inn? If I keep making my RPG characters in Lego, I might want something as a diorama to display them with. The best thing would be a modular type building, I guess.

Try to hunt down Medieval Village, you should still be able to find it.

Somebody made a spectacular MOC inn in OT1, but I can't remember who that was.

R-User!

It's almost a badge of honor to get ripped off by Toys R' Us when it comes to Lego, at least if it's only once.

Toys R' Us is the Cave in Dagobah. And by that I mean that you should only take in what you need; which means that if you take in your wallet, you're gonna pay for it!

luke-face-vader-cave.jpg

Alright so i decided the SSD is way over my head as i am just wanting to start out here and see whether the Lego collector/builder life is even for me ;)

Sticking with the Star Wars theme:

- What would you guys recommend would be a decent "mid-size" set for someone like me who is trying to learn the ropes that is great looking, timeless, well made and has a good bit of detail?

I am currently looking at the Millenium Falcon which kind of seems to fit these criteria, anything else?
The X Wing is one of the most recommended sets on here and for good reason. Good piece count for the price, and a damn fun build too. The nose is a favorite part for many of us. I also put quite a few Star Wars sets in the OP for recommendations depending on price.

However, the Millenium Falcon will disappear sooner, and is just as awesome to put together. It is a much larger set in both piece count and price, but really good. The fact that it is getting harder to find nowadays makes me want to recommend it more. The X Wing is not even a year old yet, so you have a lot of time for that one.

Just be warned that once you get the X Wing you will want the Y Wing and TIE Fighter to complement it. :)

Toys R' Us is the Cave in Dagobah. And by that I mean that you should only take in what you need; which means that if you take in your wallet, you're gonna pay for it!

luke-face-vader-cave.jpg
That place. Strong in the Dark Side it is.

bodine1231

Oh f-me,the ONE DAY I don't check this thread the SSD goes on a super sale. Argh!! I don't care that I've dropped 1k on LEGO this month,you cant pass up on savings like that!

R-User!

But you can get all three of those ships for just a bit more than one modular building. :)

But then he wont have the Millenium Falcon to swoop in and save the day!

Add 99 bucks minimum to that modular!

Falcon $100
X-wing $50
Tie Fighter $35
V-Wing $15

200 smackers; 4 awesome ships!!!

R-User!

V wing? Bah. Y Wing or bust. That way it is only New Hope ships.

Your right! I got my Y's crossed with my V's.

Well, scratch that $15 for the V-Wing and add about 50 more for the Y.

Grand total 250 for four awesome ships!

By the way, anyone here have Palpatines Arrest? I'm debating picking it up for 85 bucks from Dagobah's Cave because I can't find it anywhere cheaper, and I really like the Minifigs and the whole scene of the set.
What's the cheapest anyone had seen it go for?

Chuck

Still without luck
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sets in Lego stores on December 19. Confirmed.

And fuck toys r us

But I'm not supposed to say that >.>

The rest of the third wave of Friends sets just hit s@h, most sets available to ship immediately. The $5 animal sets are absurdly cute. Hoping to get one of those in time to stuff a stocking. :)

Man, this is a much better set then the last one. I really like that knight.

Odd number series continue to be the best series in my opinion. The even numbered ones have some great stuff in them, but the odds are so stacked with awesome. And the odd series also have had the animal suit guys.

Series 3 had Gorilla Suit (I WANT!). Series 5 had Lizard Suit. Series 7 had Bunny Suit. Series 9 has Chicken Suit.

Yeah, this will be the first minifig series I collect. So much goodness, and plenty in there I wouldn't mind having a stack of. The badge tile is indeed awesome.

The Millenium Falcon for 100 bucks? Yeah right, try again:

It's like 180 bucks at least here (EU) currently discounted on amazon UK for like 150 bucks or so :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Millenium Falcon for 100 bucks? Yeah right, try again:

It's like 180 bucks at least here (EU) currently discounted on amazon UK for like 150 bucks or so :(

Gets discounted to well below £100 by amazon fairly regularly. Keep an eye on brickbadger.com for info on amazon price cuts. They also track European amazon - got my maersk from amazon Italy

Gets discounted to well below £100 by amazon fairly regularly. Keep an eye on brickbadger.com for info on amazon price cuts. They also track European amazon - got my maersk from amazon Italy

Thanks for the heads up, will do!

I have also just seen the Imperial Shuttle UCS but damn, it looks like it's out of print already? :((

What other UCS sets are available right now in mid range size(and price lol)?

edit: So i take it the best sites to shop online for Lego sets are Amazon and/or the Lego store itself then right? Any others? (EU)

iuuk

Does anyone know if the Public Transport system is still for sale somewhere in Europe (online, or the Netherlands) for a normal price? Now that I have succumbed to modulars (thanks all) I am thinking about finishing that off with a street and cars. The transport system is OOP however, and I do not want to pay more than the regular newprice (€150 is way too much).
Stupid LEGO inflation.

Which kinda reminds me: Do most of Lego GAF have kids that actually play with these models or are there also some childless men here that simply enjoy these things just for collection, building and display reasons like i would? ;) just wondering how "niche" this hobby really is
I know that with myself, my 6 year-old loves to play with all of the sets that I make. Inevitably, she ends up removing tons of pieces and it gets frustrating having to constantly re-build them. But I'll let her know of a select few sets that are off-limits to her (like the SSD) and she is generally very respectful of my wishes. So with me, it's actually a little bit of both: My daughter plays with many sets, but I like to buy sets just for display purposes only.

ghostmind

That's how it is for me as well. My actual re-entry into LEGO was due to my son's interest with Ninjago. I had bought him a couple sets when he was younger, but until the ninja fever took over it wasn't on my mind. Once he got into that theme and we started getting larger sets, I would help him out with his builds, often we would switch every few pages. Now it has evolved to the point where he builds up to 500pc kits while I tackle the bigger sets. That's what we did for Halloween with Monster Fighters, I built the HH while he built half of the theme's sets himself. It's a very social building atmosphere for me and him, and I appreciate it a lot. I would say about half my build time is done this way, while the other half is just me solo, which is great too.

Kids and Legos:

My girls play with my Legos all the time. However, there are rules. They can kind of "check out" a set or two at a time to play with. When they are finished, we reassemble anything they snapped off during playtime together. Then it goes back where it belongs. They also have the Friends line that is theirs to do with as they please, so my wife ends up rebuilding all of those sets from scratch every 2-3 months or so.

They are obsessed with minifigs, so I had to lay down some rules about swapping body parts. I went to the Lego store and let them build loads of their own figures that are now theirs and they can do whatever they want with those.

It is a Target exclusive (at least in USA), so check if any local stores have it, as they are cycling the theme out for new 2013 sets.

And sold out on Lego.com too. Wow. That is a quick turnaround on that set.

Shame too, since it was probably the coolest mid range Monster Fighters set out there. Dat hammer car!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does anyone know if the Public Transport system is still for sale somewhere in Europe (online, or the Netherlands) for a normal price? Now that I have succumbed to modulars (thanks all) I am thinking about finishing that off with a street and cars. The transport system is OOP however, and I do not want to pay more than the regular newprice (€150 is way too much).
Stupid LEGO inflation.

I thnk its been gone a while. Could try bricklinking the elements you are interested in.

A random thought about minifigs. Is there a good way to remove arms without breaking them? Obviously trying to bend it off with the hand still attached is a killer, but the wrists generally seem rather fragile.

Avixph

A random thought about minifigs. Is there a good way to remove arms without breaking them? Obviously trying to bend it off with the hand still attached is a killer, but the wrists generally seem rather fragile.

Push the arm up and pull it off by holding the lower arm and pulling up.

wetwired

I wonder when we'll start seeing the LEGO Man of Steel and Iron Man 3 sets? I wonder if they'll do full a full theme (of 5 sets) for each movie or just integrate 1 or 2 sets into the Super Hero theme.

I have a hard time thinking they'll do full themes with the amount of new and returning themes next year.

Top Bottom