• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Fowler

What's the consensus on the Tumbler and Bat set? If I was looking at that or the Batmobile set which should I get?

I'm thinking of grabbing one if I get to the store today.

As ghostmind said, it's worth it only for the minifigs. The Tumbler is a joke compared to Wetwired's, and the Bat is... weird looking. (And this from a Dark Knight Rises fanboy.)

The minifigs are awesome tho, especially if you combine the Bane fig with a custom coat...

BKsCkBuCMAAer8h.jpg

Jimbro72

A bit better shots of the two August promos:

jVbNpEa.jpg

lfVjHNt.jpg

So if you get a Friends set worth more than $50 in the first half of August, you should be able to get both promo items.

I guess I know now when I may finally break down and buy my first Friends set....for my daughters, of course. ; )

Ahh you're all saying exactly what I was afraid of...

I think clearly the Batmobile is the better set but I want those minifigs! Damn you HBO for airing TDKR twice yesterday!

For $10 more the Batmobile really should be the way I go.

Ahh you're all saying exactly what I was afraid of...

I think clearly the Batmobile is the better set but I want those minifigs! Damn you HBO for airing TDKR twice yesterday!

For $10 more the Batmobile really should be the way I go.

The Two Face vehicle is weak sauce, but the Batmobile is top notch.
01YJgMP.jpg

The Loaf of the Rings: The Two Flours
Ld2ul3u.gif

A few more pics from Pirate Ship Ambush:
zNT2tHn.jpg

"That's a knife"
TA9gbN5.jpg

neonglow

You guys should check your local Target stores. The Summer LEGO clearance has started at 15-30%. My Target had Mines of Moria and HERO Factory sets on clearance.

Naka

You guys should check your local Target stores. The Summer LEGO clearance has started at 15-30%. My Target had Mines of Moria and HERO Factory sets on clearance.

Mine had the Star Wars Series 3 planets, Z-95 Headhunter, Galaxy Squad Space Bug Obliterator, Creator Highway Speedster, and a couple city sets that I don't recall the names of. All were 30% off.

Jimbro72

Riiiiight. You know you want that swank yacht. I know once I get Dolphin Cruiser, it will belong to Deadpool and Hulk. The women will flock to them.

OK, I'll admit, that yacht is pretty neat and looks like a fun build. They should release the same set as part of the city lineup, just in a completely different color palette at some point. Or with some slight modifications. Seems a little sad that the Friends theme gets far more interesting sets than the city theme lately. City theme really needs to start broadening their sub themes. Soooo much wasted potential there.

Z-95 Headhunter is pretty new too. I don't understand how Target plans it's sales.

I can only guess it's because the new wave of SW sets are about to hit within a month and they simply don't have the shelf space for the new and existing sets, so some of them need to go. Maybe they get rid of the slower movers. I'd be interested in seeing some of those sales numbers.

OK, I'll admit, that yacht is pretty neat and looks like a fun build. They should release the same set as part of the city lineup, just in a completely different color palette at some point. Or with some slight modifications. Seems a little sad that the Friends theme gets far more interesting sets than the city theme lately. City theme really needs to start broadening their sub themes. Soooo much wasted potential there.

I can only guess it's because the new wave of SW sets are about to hit within a month and they simply don't have the shelf space for the new and existing sets, so some of them need to go. Maybe they get rid of the slower movers. I'd be interested in seeing some of those sales numbers.
Friends is getting the types of sets City has been lacking. And even when they get incredibly similar sets, the Friends one has better features. Case in point:

3184-1.jpg

Friends Adventure Camper

VS.

4435-1.jpg

City Car and Camper

or

7639-1.jpg

City Camper

While the clashing of colors in many Friends sets leave much to be desired, it delivers the details in spades over the City versions.

I am halfway through the second tier of the towers on Tower Bridge. I have been cherry picking from my MOCs to get pieces I need as it pops up, but now I think I am at the point where I have to take apart EVERYTHING before continuing. At least if I continue with both towers simultaneously.
There are too many random parts that I have no clue where they wound up, so I think I used them as supports for floors or something. It might go faster to just tear everything apart and go from there.

I am both sad and excited by that. Sad because I hate to see my MOCs die. Excited because I can finish Tower Bridge again, but also try and make a MOC without having to rely on all those parts. Adding a limitation and force me to get more creative.

Speaking of which, I have been thinking more and more about setting up the thematic MOC contest. Have set limitations to the build, but you can use anything you have. I think an 8x8 base with a maximum height of 8 bricks from the base is small enough for almost anyone to participate, but also leaves things pretty open. And of course base it all around a mini figure of your choice. Do you all like that idea, or have any other ideas for limitations or rules to it?

frogg609

I was wondering what is a good place to order things like the custom Bane coat and the like from? I am in the US if it matters.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
They're trying so hard to make Chima a thing. It's getting a bit embarrassing at this point. Was it so hard to release the really cool new animal figures (rhino, peacock, etc.) before Speedorz shelfwarmed and were put on clearance?

Though I really love Crawley's Claw Ripper and Razar's Chi Raider! Gorzan's Gorilla Striker looks great as well.

neonglow

They're trying so hard to make Chima a thing. It's getting a bit embarrassing at this point. Was it so hard to release the really cool new animal figures (rhino, peacock, etc.) before Speedorz shelfwarmed and were put on clearance?

Though I really love Crawley's Claw Ripper and Razar's Chi Raider! Gorzan's Gorilla Striker looks great as well.

Ninjago will be back next year in a big way with new cartoons and sets. Don't forget that the movie will be coming out in 2015 or so.

I think Chima has a finite shelf life. I'd love to see what their market research was saying and how they got it so wrong.

Ninjago will be back next year in a big way with new cartoons and sets. Don't forget that the movie will be coming out in 2015 or so.

I think Chima has a finite shelf life. I'd love to see what their market research was saying and how they got it so wrong.
I would be curious as well.

Friends is getting the types of sets City has been lacking. And even when they get incredibly similar sets, the Friends one has better features. Case in point:

3184-1.jpg

Friends Adventure Camper

VS.

4435-1.jpg

City Car and Camper

or

7639-1.jpg

City Camper

While the clashing of colors in many Friends sets leave much to be desired, it delivers the details in spades over the City versions.

Call me sexist, but I think most young boys would drive the city camper off a cliff while fighting off big foot. Young girls would setup a camp and hang out eating food and chilling/chatting. I think LEGO's research is on the money that young boys don't care about all the small details. Funny that when boys get older like AFOLs, they love the details.

I think all 3 sets look nice, but the Friends set definitely has a LOT of details.

Rootbeer

Banned

they really botched the show launch. they showed two episodes in january... one in march and the fourth will air in a few days. Why so spread out? Wtf is going on? That's now how you launch a new property.

I think Chima could have worked if the show was ready but they didn't line it up right.

Call me sexist, but I think most young boys would drive the city camper off a cliff while fighting off big foot. Young girls would setup a camp and hang out eating food and chilling/chatting. I think LEGO's research is on the money that young boys don't care about all the small details. Funny that when boys get older like AFOLs, they love the details.

I think all 3 sets look nice, but the Friends set definitely has a LOT of details.
Thanks. Now I am envisioning chainsaws and body parts in the City camper. :)

they really botched the show launch. they showed two episodes in january... one in march and the fourth will air in a few days. Why so spread out? Wtf is going on? That's now how you launch a new property.

I think Chima could have worked if the show was ready but they didn't line it up right.

Maybe they were testing waters. Or the sets/games were ready way before the show.

frogg609

Maybe they were testing waters. Or the sets/games were ready way before the show.

Either way it's sad because the sets are actually really cool and well done. The show isn't terrible, but I don't think I'm going to buy anymore until they are reduced big time, since it doesn't seem that it's successful at all.

R-User!

Finished the B-Wing early this past week!

I think the engine was really cool, but it would have been nice if
LEGO could have saved it for last as opposed to early in the build; would have been that much more epic! I would have done small wings then cockpit then large wing halves then engine them snap it all together...
... But that's just me.

All in all, it was a fun build! I wouldn't have felt that $200 was ever worth it for this set, but for $100, WELL worth it! I really like the way it looks on display it'll go very well in my set up across from The Imperial Shuttle!

I'll post pics in a couple of weeks! :)

Onto the Imperial Shuttle!

Finished the B-Wing early this past week!

I think the engine was really cool, but it would have been nice if
LEGO could have saved it for last as opposed to early in the build; would have been that much more epic! I would have done small wings then cockpit then large wing halves then engine them snap it all together...
... But that's just me.

All in all, it was a fun build! I wouldn't have felt that $200 was ever worth it for this set, but for $100, WELL worth it! I really like the way it looks on display it'll go very well in my set up across from The Imperial Shuttle!

I'll post pics in a couple of weeks! :)

Onto the Imperial Shuttle!

I can't wait to hear your impressions on the Imperial Shuttle. Such an awesome build, and it just keeps getting bigger. It isn't until you start to assemble the top fin that it sinks in just how huge it is going to be when finished.

Chima sets being discounted in both John Lewis & Debenhams. I hope they still release Tails Furty.

I wasn't going to touch Galaxy Squad, but I ended up buying the little space fighter thing :D

R-User!

I can't wait to hear your impressions on the Imperial Shuttle. Such an awesome build, and it just keeps getting bigger. It isn't until you start to assemble the top fin that it sinks in just how huge it is going to be when finished.

Yes! Beginning now!

24 unnumbered bags! :)

GET THE GLADWARE, HONEY! IT'S GONNA BE A LOOONG AFTERNOON BUILD!!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Speaking of which, I have been thinking more and more about setting up the thematic MOC contest. Have set limitations to the build, but you can use anything you have. I think an 8x8 base with a maximum height of 8 bricks from the base is small enough for almost anyone to participate, but also leaves things pretty open. And of course base it all around a mini figure of your choice. Do you all like that idea, or have any other ideas for limitations or rules to it?

Zoolanderdoit.gif

Crater Creeper: nice set for the price. Nothing amazing, but a lot more stylish than expected.

Finished the centipede from the Titan though. Now that is one creepy, badass lil bug. Time for the Titan itself though.

frogg609

Saw the Coast Guard sets at Target today. I like the look of them, but they seem really expensive for what you get. Bought the smallest one, but will wait on the others.

R-User!

Pirates Ambush crushed box 20% off! Get it or wait for Amazon 23% off random sale.

If I wait I might get a normal box... What to do!

Ponn

Banned
Pirates Ambush crushed box 20% off! Get it or wait for Amazon 23% off random sale.

Wait, I just have this feeling it will hit $7X.xx at some point on Amazon.

So can we expect to get any remaining Lego set announcements between SDCC and Brickfair? Winter Village Market at Brickfair?

Jimbro72

If it were me, I'd wait. Pretty much all non-exclusive Hobbit/LOTR sets have hit discounts of between 20-35%, or more, at some point on Amazon, so that 20% should easily be topped in the future. The only question is, how many months may that wait be and are you willing to hold off to save even more money.

R-User!

If it were me, I'd wait. Pretty much all non-exclusive Hobbit/LOTR sets have hit discounts of between 20-35%, or more, at some point on Amazon, so that 20% should easily be topped in the future. The only question is, how many months may that wait be and are you willing to hold off to save even more money.

This is true...

I bought it at Target, because I have 90 days return policy with the Red Card. I won't open it, and if after 85 days it's not dropped in price I'll return it and continue to wait for Amazon to drop it then I'll have Target match it.

I may just open it though but I most likely won't...

Ugh. I had typed up the entire post, but lost it. Now for the rewrite:

The first wave of Galaxy Squad brought some great sets. The GS themselves got sets that ranged from "very cool" (Swarm Interceptor) to "OMFG! THIS IS AWESOME!" (Bug Obliterator). But the bugs got the short end of the stick. They got sets ranging from "Son, I am disappoint." (Star Slicer) to "Pretty cool" (Warp Stinger), and "Really good for the price" (Space Swarmer).
However, the second wave saw the GS get even more awesomeness in the Eradicator Mech and Galactic Titan, but the bugs came back with a vengeance, particularly in the Hive Crawler (best set so far this year!). But what about the other bug set in wave 2?

I present the Crater Creeper:

The creeper and its prey, in all their poorly lit and shot glory.

The GS vehicle. Constructed on a 6x6 circular brick, which I had not seen before this set.
Same basic construction of many of the smaller GS vehicles that come with the bigger bugs. Nothing amazing, but still fun. Sadly, it is missing the transformation features of the bigger GS sets.

The bug looks like a teenager behind the wheel of his first sports car. In other words, trouble waiting to happen.

Dat ass! The big red windshield piece just makes me want to make a classic Space Police color schemed MOC using new parts and techniques.

The mandibles. Held together with a dreaded rubber band!

Pinch the back and open to reveal the "sphincter piece" in the middle. Actually, it is a mouth, but it still could pass as a sphincter if put somewhere else.

Oh noes! The GS chap is captured by the big bug!

Cool set for the price. I would put it slightly above the similarly priced GS set (Swarp Interceptor). The majority of the legs are stationary, which is a let down, but at least the middle ones can move up and down (but not stay posed), and the mandible action is pretty sweet.

Nothing amazing, but not bad either. I would give it a solid B.

And we finally come to the big boy. The Galactic Titan. But before we get to the Titan proper, lets cover the bugs that come with it:

The bug control center, or whatever they want to call it.

What's that lever on the back for?

Ooooooh. I press it to launch a bug larvae at unsuspecting humans. In other words: nightmare fuel. Thanks, LEGO!

Forget what I said about the larvae launcher being nightmare fuel. The centipede is greater fuel.

Why, yes. I love scary gaping maws with multiple mandibles waiting to devour me.

On a side note, allows me to reiterate a point I had with this same mini fig from Hive Crawler. He is the biggest badass of the entire line. In a theme where nearly every single mini figure is packing either a pistol or a massive cannon, this bug bastard is packing two blades. This shows that he is the one you should be most afraid of. In a galaxy of massive guns and blasters, this mutha is somehow still alive and commanding the creepiest and scariest things out there, and instead of shooting you would rather cut you up some.
Yeah, worry about him.

Hmmm. 16 fully posable legs, and a cocoon attached to the back to carry poor humans to their doom? Yes, sign me up for the creepiness, LEGO!

And now, the Galactic Titan!

You really think that rocket launcher is going to work against the bug warrior that is armed with nothing but two blades? Maybe you should be wearing a red shirt instead, buddy!

The top ship section separates to fly off and take care of business on its own.

The main tank area, left behind to chew bubble gum, and kick butt. And it's all out of bubble gum.

What's that hiding in the main body?

Why, it's a double rocket launcher and radar dish! And those firing rubber rockets are great pet toys. Fire them, and watch your pet go nuts trying to catch them.

The flying module, or whatever you wanna call it.

Wings rotated into attack position!

Dat ass!

To give you an idea of how the angles come together on this thing. It is very, very cool. Also, TONS of SNOT work on this thing. Wonderfully done.

The pilot. He ain't gonna take no lip from any bug. Of course, they have no lips.

The cockpit gave me more ideas to achieve a MOC I have been contemplating, which is a Gunstar from "The Last Starfighter." The cockpit on this is as close as you can get in an official set, and it would not take much tweaking to make it work on a Gunstar. So for that, I am very thankful.

Overall, I would give this an A or A-. My heart still goes out to Hive Crawler, and I think I would put Bug Obliterator just slightly above this set. It is still kick ass from start to finish, but it falls just ever so slightly short of Bug Obliterator for me. Still highly recommended, and solidifies Galaxy Squad as the best thing this year for me.

ghostmind

I love the dual-seater cockpit in the Titan, but I would agree that the Bug Obliterator is the better set.

My Galaxy Squad ranking:

1. Hive Crawler
2. Bug Obliterator
3. Galactic Titan
4. Vermin Vaporizer
5. CLS-89 Eradicator Mech
6. Space Swarmer
7. Swarm Interceptor
8. Crater Creeper
9. Warp Stinger
10. Star Slicer

Positions 8 & 9 are very close and could easily swap spots, but the interoperability with the Vermin Vaporizer gives the Crater Creeper the edge.

I love the dual-seater cockpit in the Titan, but I would agree that the Bug Obliterator is the better set.

My Galaxy Squad ranking:

1. Hive Crawler
2. Bug Obliterator
3. Galactic Titan
4. Vermin Vaporizer
5. CLS-89 Eradicator Mech
6. Space Swarmer
7. Swarm Interceptor
8. Crater Creeper
9. Warp Stinger
10. Star Slicer

Positions 8 & 9 are very close and could easily swap spots, but the interoperability with the Vermin Vaporizer gives the Crater Creeper the edge.
How I would rank them as well, although I might swap between Vermin Vaporizor and Eradicator Mech depending on mood. Although, the low price plays into how much of a punch the Space Swarmer had for me.

I think the thing that held back the Titan for me was how bare the tank part seemed after the ship took off, where both parts of Bug Obliterator felt like complete sets on their own.
Hive Crawler still wins everything in my book so far.
Once again, we both are pretty much on the same page with rankings.

I was doing the ironing this morning in the lounge and my flatmates kids where watching children's tv, I was amazed how many LEGO adverts there were. felt like every other commercial was for Chima, Star Wars or Space

Top Bottom