• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

bodine1231

I need Arkham still, but have everything else on that list. Of all those, Orthanc is the weakest set. Thankfully, it is also the newest.
Tower Bridge is repetitive, but still a cool build. And the final display piece is great. As I said many times before, it is a MOC gold mine because of the pieces. This cannot be understated. The fact that it is about to go OOP means you should get it ASAP.
Death...err... I mean Best Star is my favorite set, bar none. Are their better builds out there? Yes. Are there better MOC friendly sets? Yes. Is there any set that combines a fun (yet pretty basic) build, tons of character, and a load of nostalgia at the same level? Not even close. Best Star is all about the experience and Star Wars love in it. It is a must buy for any Star Wars fan. All should witness the firepower of that fully armed and operational battle station.

Having said that, the only set IMHO that comes close to giving Best Star a run for its money is Haunted House. For what Best Star does for Star Wars love and nostalgia, Haunted House does it for old school horror film love and nostalgia. I would say Haunted House is the superior build of the two, but the sheer size and grandeur of Best Star still wins.

As for your list, this is how I would rank them personally:
Haunted House > VW Camper > R2-D2 > Tower Bridge > Orthanc. I still need Arkham to pass judgement.

Oh ok,so Orthanc is safe for a while? If so I'll go by that order and get Haunted House,VW and Arkham first,then R2 and TB OR Death Star with the paycheck after and use the VIP points from the first order.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Lol ok will do, its major work in progress on hold till I move to a place where i can have a separate LEGO room. as a preview ill post what i did with the 2 Fire Brigades and the 1 of the extra Pet Shops (parts wise)

1327020367m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327020415m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327020465m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327020495m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327020546m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327781314m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327781402m_DISPLAY.jpg

General Grievous wants to know what happened to his chair

This is badass. I wish I had the disposable income to do this as well.

ruxtpin

Banned
Amazing work Ryuuroden! I've thought about ordering dupes of some of the modulars for that same purpose, but I still haven't finished my first large MOC. So I feel like I'd just be filling my backlog with more sets that would be untouched for months. =P

Just ordered the GS Hive Crawler for $56 off Amazon Warehouse. Seemed like a reasonable price. And snagged a battle pack of Clone Troops/Droids for $8.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Looks like my S@H order should be here today. 16 series 11 figs and some other poly bag sets. I will post pics tonight when I get them. Hopefully I get a good % of series 11 completed with this. I also like feeling the bags in the comfort of my own home. Then taking the unopened bags back for store credit.

I've had really good luck so far with the series 11 figures. 11 bought, no dupes, minimal bag molesting :)

So far, I've got:
Scarecrow
Yeti
Girl Scientist
Island Native
Space Soldier Guy
Old Cat Lady
Xmas Elf
Lady Robot
Welder
Barbarian
Gingerbread Man

Not sure if I want any of the others so I'm pretty pleased. Now I'm debating on either the haunted house or Palace cinema in October...

Amazing work Ryuuroden! I've thought about ordering dupes of some of the modulars for that same purpose, but I still haven't finished my first large MOC. So I feel like I'd just be filling my backlog with more sets that would be untouched for months. =P

Just ordered the GS Hive Crawler for $56 off Amazon Warehouse. Seemed like a reasonable price. And snagged a battle pack of Clone Troops/Droids for $8.

Hehe, I almost bought that exact Hive Crawler yesterday. I'm glad a fellow LEGO GAFer was the one to snag it.

shadow29

Neo Member
Really should include a classic space guy. Actually, everything should include a classic space minifig. Sales would skyrocket :p

Also do guys know if they announce what minifigs come with a store opening? I saw before but I haven't seen any listings for the stores this year. I still have 3 weeks to dig up the info, but any leads would be great.

Ryuuroden

Ok, just got back from The Lego Store. I got all my series 11 that I needed today:

5x Barbarian
2x Scarecrow
3x Bavarian Lady
1x Evil Mech
3x Tiki Warrior
3x Gingerbread Man
3x Holiday Elf
3x Yeti
2x Mountain Climber
5x Welder
4x Female Scientist
4x Jazz Musician
2x Dinner Waitress
2x Grandma
1x Constable
1x Lady Robot

I saw none of the requested items on PAB unfortunately. They did have doors and door frames but the doors were in offsite storage so i didn't get any.

After I made my minifig purchase I was commenting on my plans for the rest of the year and mentioned how i missed out on the Exclusive 4x4 Crawler. Lo and behold, they had one left in back which was a damaged box. You cannot get a discount anymore for damaged boxes but it wasn't that badly damaged so I ended up buying it. This is my last Lego Store purchase for the month so my final tally on mini VW polybags is 3 which I am willing to use for trading. When I have time I will put of a list of stuff I am looking for PAB wise and minifig wise. One CMF off the top of my head that I am missing is the Musketeer.

Also talked to another person about the discounts on exclusives. Pretty much what I was told again was that TLG removed discounts on exclusives only in order to make prices on them uniform. Any other retailer that carries them is also required to sell them for the same price. There are still possibilities of sales but they will be in conjunction with S@H and the b&m stores or by permission of TLG. Basically, don't expect to see the exclusives on sale much anymore. My bet is the only time you will be guaranteed to see that stuff on sale is the end of the year, and on Black Friday. I forgot to actually ask about Black Friday. If someone else can do this, I will as well. It is a pretty important question as it will determine if I buy the majority of my end of the year purchases during double points month or Black Friday. The question is; "Will the Black Friday scratch off % off total purchase cards be usable on exclusives still, or only on none exclusives?"

Calm Killer

I can't even comprehend the business decision behind this. Are they going to try and sell damaged boxes at full retail price now? That's pretty shifty.

This is the most ignorant thing I have heard so far. What?

firefly.gif

Looking forward to the book, but the included minifigs are weak.

They should have included Mr. Gold. LOL Maybe they could have done a Mr. Gold in pearl gold form.
I would have liked more classic minifigs, but I won't diss the Storm Trooper. I can never have too many of those.

EDIT: $24 for 3 minifigs and 256 pages on Amazon. Not too bad. Are there any known gaps in the minifigs? Also, do they include all CMFs? Seems redundant as there is a CMF book out.

Ok, just got back from The Lego Store. I got all my series 11 that I needed today:

5x Barbarian
2x Scarecrow
3x Bavarian Lady
1x Evil Mech
3x Tiki Warrior
3x Gingerbread Man
3x Holiday Elf
3x Yeti
2x Mountain Climber
5x Welder
4x Female Scientist
4x Jazz Musician
2x Dinner Waitress
2x Grandma
1x Constable
1x Lady Robot

I saw none of the requested items on PAB unfortunately. They did have doors and door frames but the doors were in offsite storage so i didn't get any.

Thanks for checking! I would like to add these windows below to my list as they have been spotted in the wild. Were these the one PhoncipleBone and someone else were looking for?

Window 1 x 4 x 5
Window 1 x 4 x 5 (White) Last updated on: 09/13/2013 At store: Wauwatosa, WI

Glass 1 x 4 x 3 for Opening Window
Glass 1 x 4 x 3 for Opening Window (Trans-Clear) Last updated on: 09/13/2013 At store: Wauwatosa, WI

Surprised you got 2 Grandma's. I had a hard time finding those. Found 2 after going through about 90 bags. All other ones that came 2 per box I was able to find multiples easily.

They should have included Mr. Gold. LOL Maybe they could have done a Mr. Gold in pearl gold form.
I would have liked more classic minifigs, but I won't diss the Storm Trooper. I can never have too many of those.

EDIT: $24 for 3 minifigs and 256 pages on Amazon. Not too bad. Are there any known gaps in the minifigs? Also, do they include all CMFs? Seems redundant as there is a CMF book out.
It isn't a checklist, more like a history and talks about when new elements were made, etc. It is not comprehensive, but still pretty cool.

Calm Killer

My S@H order that arrived today. out of the 16 series 11 minifigs I ordered I got 8 unique figs. 8 Duplicates. I felt everything and didn't open them so I can at least trade in the 8 figs for store credit.
9736313665_83510325b8_c.jpg

My S@H order that arrived today. out of the 16 series 11 minifigs I ordered I got 8 unique figs. 8 Duplicates. I felt everything and didn't open them so I can at least trade in the 8 figs for store credit.
9736313665_83510325b8_c.jpg

The season polybags are nice and come with nice reusuable pieces. Same goes for the Halloween pack which has the bonus of the alternate version of the super hard to find zombie CMF especially since it's about $10 now!!!!

I highly recommend those to anyone if they can order from LEGO S@H or get from the LEGO store.

Calm Killer

I love that Cataclysm mouse btw.

Thanks. My wife got for me years ago. Been a great mouse!

The season polybags are nice and come with nice reusuable pieces. Same goes for the Halloween pack which has the bonus of the alternate version of the super hard to find zombie CMF especially since it's about $10 now!!!!

I highly recommend those to anyone if they can order from LEGO S@H or get from the LEGO store.

I got the season bags just for the trees mostly. I blame wetwired mostly. I think it was him that had the amazing tree by the haunted house.

Ponn

Banned
I feel like a crack addict, please someone talk me down from hitting the place order button

Guaranteed delivery: Sept. 17, 2013 If you order in the next 17 hours and 35 minutes (Details)
LEGO Ninja Turtles Shredder Dragon Bike 79101

LEGO Super Heroes Arkham Asylum Breakout (10937)

LEGO Ninja Turtles Kraang Lab Escape 79100

LEGO Ninja Turtles Turtle Lair Attack 79103

edit: ok, I didn't go all out, but I did mess up my schedule. I only got Arkham Asylum, my shakes are subsiding, the turtles will remain on my christmas list.

I feel like a crack addict, please someone talk me down from hitting the place order button

How could you not have "LEGO Ninja Turtles Kraang Lab Escape 79100" yet? It's the TMNT in LEGO!!!! That's the cheapest one and comes with a Krang brain. Shredder is an awesome minfig!!!! I personally don't like the bike though.

BTW, try not to hit the order button so you can miss out on the cool TMNT minifigs. Arkham is supposed to be really good too. I have it, but it's in backlog.

Ponn

Banned
How could you not have "LEGO Ninja Turtles Kraang Lab Escape 79100" yet? It's the TMNT in LEGO!!!! That's the cheapest one and comes with a Krang brain. Shredder is an awesome minfig!!!! I personally don't like the bike though.

BTW, try not to hit the order button so you can miss out on the cool TMNT minifigs. Arkham is supposed to be really good too. I have it, but it's in backlog.

I really do want the turtle sets but i'm sort of going through my list I started since Lego-Gaf got me addicted over a year ago and turtles unfortunately came out later. They are definitely on my to buy list, probably be a birthday Brick Friday gift to myself along with Village Market and those two winter sets Ghostmind brought to my attention.

As for today i'm done, I throw my hands up. This is what I just bought in a matter of 20 minutes of impulse.

Arkham Asylum

Lego S@H
7 CMF series 11 figs
Jokers Funhouse
Halloween Accessory set
Lego Pumpkin polybag
free mini VW Camper

I'm done, im done, im done, im done. Off to play Kingdom Hearts HD before I do more damage.

I honestly want to get the Kraang set because of the foot soldier... Hit headpiece would go so great with alot of the lego helmets & etc.

mojiimbo

Also do guys know if they announce what minifigs come with a store opening? I saw before but I haven't seen any listings for the stores this year. I still have 3 weeks to dig up the info, but any leads would be great.
Superficially they largely seem to be the kind of "generic" figures that would be found in the build-a-mini station a lot of the time except they have a customized lettering on their back. Can't remember if it's printed or if it's a cheat and they use a sticker. To be honest I'd rather try for the exclusive microbuild Lego Store set that they give out that weekend instead. I saw Brickset had a category for them so you can see the ones they've given out this year.

http://www.brickset.com/browse/them...otional&subtheme=LEGO+Store+Grand+Opening+Set

Most of the time stores will open and operate a few weeks before the grand opening events so they can have some experience so I guess you could try showing up a few days before the grand opening during their slow period and ask if you could see how they look.

ghostmind

Friends Animal sets 1H 2014

Animals Series 4
41041 Turtle’s Little Paradise
41042 Tiger’s Beautiful Temple
41043 Penguin’s Playground

Animals Series 5
41044 Macaw’s Fountain
41045 Orangutan’s Banana Tree
41046 Brown Bear’s River

Starting to feel like I should give in and accept these "Friends-ified" animals, as they may be the closest thing I get to a zoo in a long time.

shadow29

Neo Member
Superficially they largely seem to be the kind of "generic" figures that would be found in the build-a-mini station a lot of the time except they have a customized lettering on their back. Can't remember if it's printed or if it's a cheat and they use a sticker. To be honest I'd rather try for the exclusive microbuild Lego Store set that they give out that weekend instead. I saw Brickset had a category for them so you can see the ones they've given out this year.

http://www.brickset.com/browse/them...otional&subtheme=LEGO+Store+Grand+Opening+Set

Most of the time stores will open and operate a few weeks before the grand opening events so they can have some experience so I guess you could try showing up a few days before the grand opening during their slow period and ask if you could see how they look.

That would be a plus. I'd rather go on Saturday so I don't miss the games on Sunday. Guess Ill have to see if I can squeeze it out of the guys who work there.

I honestly want to get the Kraang set because of the foot soldier... Hit headpiece would go so great with alot of the lego helmets & etc.

Dude. Order from BrickLink, you can buy them for under $2 each in large quantities if you like. Cowabunga!

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=114671

I have a bunch for the ninja outfits. If only I can get a bunch of cheap black ninja hoods now.

Friends Animal sets 1H 2014

Animals Series 4
41041 Turtle’s Little Paradise
41042 Tiger’s Beautiful Temple
41043 Penguin’s Playground

Animals Series 5
41044 Macaw’s Fountain
41045 Orangutan’s Banana Tree
41046 Brown Bear’s River

Starting to feel like I should give in and accept these "Friends-ified" animals, as they may be the closest thing I get to a zoo in a long time.

Yes, I'm jealous everytime I see the Duplo safari set and Friends animals. Friends is almost like a fairy tale land with lots of cute animals. You can always sell them if LEGO comes out with many "regular" animals.

You could always dabble with the dark side... http://www.character-online.com/products/Character-Building/Deadly-60/

wetwired

Dude. Order from BrickLink, you can buy them for under $2 each in large quantities if you like. Cowabunga!

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=114671

I have a bunch for the ninja outfits. If only I can get a bunch of cheap black ninja hoods now.

Yes, I'm jealous everytime I see the Duplo safari set and Friends animals. Friends is almost like a fairy tale land with lots of cute animals. You can always sell them if LEGO comes out with many "regular" animals.

You could always dabble with the dark side... http://www.character-online.com/products/Character-Building/Deadly-60/

Yeah that's what I did, I bought about 10 foot soldiers for about $2 each on bricklink

bodine1231

Who's the best US seller on Bricklink for Superheros? I'm just gonna Bricklink the minifigs as all the sets aside from Arkham are kinda weak.

I finally ordered the Kingdoms Joust set. I'll display it with some additions to begin with and then modify it into something that looks more Middle-earthy.

Does any one know how rare the scientist is on the mini figures?
So far have 2 yetis, 2 policemen, 2 gingerbread men, robot, warrior and elf... Really want a scientist :(

I've looked at BrickLink many times but never used it... any necessary tips for using it to its potential?

Make a login (obviously). Use the wanted list to add sets or parts you want. You can make several lists if you want. You can then get a list of which shops have the most of the things you need. You can also import part lists from other sites or LDD to make a wanted list that way.

One important thing is to change the setting for your order page, to show an icon with the things on your wanted list that were in that order. Then you can check off all of those pieces from there and not have to do it manually.

It's rather limited though, as you can't search for who has a combination of things at the lowest price.

One important thing is to change the setting for your order page, to show an icon with the things on your wanted list that were in that order. Then you can check off all of those pieces from there and not have to do it manually.

3qy21NIl.png

Yes, please tell me more, where do I find this functionality that I have been missing since forever?

It's rather limited though, as you can't search for who has a combination of things at the lowest price.
Searching by shop usually gives you a good place to start.

overall BL is very mighty but difficult to get used to.

3qy21NIl.png

Yes, please tell me more, where do I find this functionality that I have been missing since forever?

Searching by shop usually gives you a good place to start.

overall BL is very mighty but difficult to get used to.

Orders -> My Orders Placed -> Customize Display -> check Items in Order on My Wanted List Icon

I tried bricklinking Imperial Flagship just now... but it gets expensive quickly. Without even getting hull parts (I will scavenge some from the corsair ship) or sails, and missing many more pieces, it's over €200 already.

Hello Lego GAF, long time lurker, just verified today. I haven't bought anything since the Jedi Defender came out but it was so worth it. Been eying Jek-14's set but I haven't committed to that price yet.

ghostmind

Hello Lego GAF, long time lurker, just verified today. I haven't bought anything since the Jedi Defender came out but it was so worth it. Been eying Jek-14's set but I haven't committed to that price yet.

Good. Good. ... The Brick is strong with you! A powerful AFOL, you will become! Henceforth, you shall be known as Jeff... Vader.

jLvr1Rg.png

Noooo! Run while you still can or you'll never...
*gets clubbed to death with a Haunted House*

Top Bottom