• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Tom, one of the S@H mascots, now has a polybag:

1RjRo2r.jpg

Discussion of him here.
http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/12220/lego-lego-shop-man-set-5001622

LEGO Lego Shop Man Set 5001622

That's a crazy store. How did they have the space to carry all the out of print sets you got. I just noticed there's display areas on the bottom by the floor. Why'd they put the Indiana Jones sets down there.

Here's a better starting point: http://goo.gl/maps/i1wSa I initially got confused on where to go from the street.

There's display space along the floor too, so the less interesting dioramas get pushed down there.

The cool stuff is generally in the back, near the Taj Mahal display.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tower Bridge is most likely gone by end of the year with Sydney Opera House out now.
VW Van is probably a goner by mid 2014 around when the Mini Cooper debuts
Death Star is a set nobody can tell. If it survives this year, it'll be around for all of next year.

Mini Cooper!?

VW is a great display piece and a great build. Tower bridge is a great display piece but can be a monotonous build

bodine1231

Mini Cooper!?

VW is a great display piece and a great build. Tower bridge is a great display piece but can be a monotonous build

Yeah,that's whats turning me off from getting it. I'd much rather get the Ewok Village for the same price,though the Tower Bridge is tempting me only because of the resell/trade value later on.

Yeah,that's whats turning me off from getting it. I'd much rather get the Ewok Village for the same price,though the Tower Bridge is tempting me only because of the resell/trade value later on.

Do you MOC? If so, Tower Bridge is the best value for getting pieces for MOCs. Tons of varied elements, and all usually in high quantity as well.

Here's my LEGO Shop gameplan for the rest of the year:

Agh. You people with your gameplans. Now I have to map it out too.

September - today??
Horizon Express + Free Camper Van
($130)

October 14
Palace Cinema - Double VIP + Free Holiday Set 1 of 2
($200)

October 15
VW Camper - Double VIP + Free Holiday Set 1 of 2
($130)

November Brick Friday
Winter Village Market + Free Holiday Set 2 of 2
($130)

I'm still on the fence about the VW Camper. I am trying to de-clutter and want to avoid sets that I am not crazy about. I'd also like to stop buying sets JUST so I can get the free monthly promo (trying to be strong by avoiding the Clone Trooper since I'm not a huge fan).

What is the Town Center everybody is talking about? Is that the big one in a Modular-style box with the old dude on the cover?

neonglow

Mini Cooper!?

There's a rumor that a Mini Cooper set will be made next year similar in style to the VW Camper and Beetle sets.

What is the Town Center everybody is talking about? Is that the big one in a Modular-style box with the old dude on the cover?

This is the Town Square set. You can only get it at LEGO stores and Toys R Us.

60026_alt1.jpg

It's a remake of the CIty Corner set that came out in 2009:

7641-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

ghostmind

Might as well join in the fun and put my plans up too:

September (most of these have already been purchased)
21105 Minecraft: The Village
21106 Minecraft: The Nether
40055 Halloween Pumpkin
40079 Mini VW T1 Camper Van
60000 Fire Motorcycle
60011 Surfer Rescue
71002 CMF Series 11 (still need Grandma, Pretzel Girl, Scarecrow)
75009 Snowspeeder & Hoth
75010 B-wing Starfighter & Endor
75011 Tantive IV & Alderaan
75016 Homing Spider Droid
75017 Duel on Geonosis
75018 JEK-14's Stealth Starfighter
75019 AT-TE
75022 Mandalorian Speeder
75024 HH-87 Starhopper
5001709 Clone Trooper Lieutenant

October
10235 Winter Village Market
10236 Ewok Village
40056 Thanksgiving Feast
40082 Christmas 2013 Set #1

November
40058 Decorating the Tree
40059 Santa's Sleigh
40083 Christmas 2013 Set #2
60024 2013 City Advent Calendar
75023 2013 Star Wars Advent Calendar
75025 Jedi Defender-class Cruiser
79011 Dol Guldur Ambush
79012 Mirkwood Elf Army
79103 Lake Town Chase
79104 Dol Guldur Battle

December
10243 Parisian Restaurant (TBD)
31019 Monkey and Toucan
maybe some 2013 CITY sets (such as the Town Square)
maybe some 2104 CITY sets
maybe some LEGO Movie sets
maybe some Simpsons sets

ruxtpin

Banned
The vehicles, plate, and statue look great, but I absolutely hate that style of building. Just like the normal city hospital, police station, and fire department; window pieces make up most of the walls. Very uninspired and boring.

I hate the look of the buildings too, but I'm thinking those window pieces - along with some the other bits - would be great in custom modulars.

neonglow

The vehicles, plate, and statue look great, but I absolutely hate that style of building. Just like the normal city hospital, police station, and fire department; window pieces make up most of the walls. Very uninspired and boring.

I don't care too much about the buildings either. I want the vehicles and people. I missed out on the last mobile crane so I'll be getting this set.

I wish they'd remake this set from 2005:

brickpicker_set_7249_2.jpg

Very happy to see maxvf1's Macross Valkyrie project finally get 10k votes on Lego Cuusoo:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/638

9ZCNThG.jpg

Sadly, though, I doubt it will come out because of Harmony Gold's stubborn grip on the worldwide Macross license. It's not gonna be something that'll be a Japan-only exclusive and we can just pick up through importers like Ami-Ami or HLJ. I imagine it's an all-or-nothing deal.

Bastards.

There's a rumor that a Mini Cooper set will be made next year similar in style to the VW Camper and Beetle sets.

This is the Town Square set. You can only get it at LEGO stores and Toys R Us.

60026_alt1.jpg

Ah ok. I thought it was this thing:

10184-1.jpg

I've thought about picking it up but it seems unnecessary with the modulars.

Very happy to see maxvf1's Macross Valkyrie project finally get 10k votes on Lego Cuusoo:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/638

9ZCNThG.jpg

Sadly, though, I doubt it will come out because of Harmony Gold's stubborn grip on the worldwide Macross license. It's not gonna be something that'll be a Japan-only exclusive and we can just pick up through importers like Ami-Ami or HLJ. I imagine it's an all-or-nothing deal.

Bastards.

Good news is at least we will have an official answer eventually and we won't be teased of the possibility anymore.

All, please vote for the Apple Store. I want that project put to rest and make room for more interesting projects on the main page. Build looks so boring. Unless they do a Steve Jobs minifig and make the store a micro build, I'm not interested.

ghostmind

Where do you store your stuff? Do you leave most of it built?

Some built, a lot in boxes, a lot of backlog.

My work on my LEGO basement project has had to take a backseat to other concerns lately, but I hope to get back to it soon.

I still regularly debate with myself whether I should just focus on Star Wars, and sell off the rest of my sets. So far I am staying with my current status-quo, but we'll see what 2014 brings.

My plans:

Hobbit sets
Maybe Parisian Restaurant if it looks awesome

:D

But then again I just spent $1000 on a work desk to improve the ergonomics at home, I'm planning to get a PS4 at launch and there's a few essential Transformers I need to get this fall so maybe it's for the best that I don't want most of what's coming out.

I still regularly debate with myself whether I should just focus on Star Wars, and sell off the rest of my sets. So far I am staying with my current status-quo, but we'll see what 2014 brings.

I can totally relate. My office in the basement has become festooned with a ridiculous hodgepodge of disparate sets/themes etc.

I really want to tear most of it down and just have the figures, and a few full sets displayed, and displayed nicely. Modulars that won't fit on my shelf in the den, the Minecraft set and the B-Wing....along with my classic Space sets for sure.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Planning to get Orthanc, Mindstorms, Winter Market, Parisian Restaurant. Still need to get Town Hall and Palace Cinema, but no hurries - waiting to pounce on good deals.

bodine1231

I can totally relate. My office in the basement has become festooned with a ridiculous hodgepodge of disparate sets/themes etc.

I really want to tear most of it down and just have the figures, and a few full sets displayed, and displayed nicely. Modulars that won't fit on my shelf in the den, the Minecraft set and the B-Wing....along with my classic Space sets for sure.

Yeah Im sort of regretting buying all these clearance sets when I should have bought the modulars and larger SW sets that I really want. I can still return them if I can find the reciepts or just eBay them and come out even.

ruxtpin

Banned
Quick question - Amazon Warehouse deals - they're all listed as used. Is it just they're damaged packages? Or am I actually getting used and repackaged sets?

bodine1231

Quick question - Amazon Warehouse deals - they're all listed as used. Is it just they're damaged packages? Or am I actually getting used and repackaged sets?

I would not buy it unless it says damaged packaging. I saw a Haunted House last night for $25.00 off and passed. Someone could have bought it,removed the minifigures and returned it.

ruxtpin

Banned
The ones I am looking at say "Used - Like New, Packaging may be damaged" and the other "Used - Like New, Item may come repackaged."

Reckon stay away from the repackaged one?

neonglow

The ones I am looking at say "Used - Like New, Packaging may be damaged" and the other "Used - Like New, Item may come repackaged."

Reckon stay away from the repackaged one?

If it's from AWD, it should be fine. Usually, it's a crushed box or tear marks on the box. Sometimes they're opened and inspected. If something's wrong, you can just return it easily.

This LEGO fish tank is an interesting kickstarter. It's basically a fish tank that's able to connect with LEGO bricks. I'm debating whether I want to support it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/210938604/fishspace-create-your-own-fish-place

CatalogueShot_zps49714054.png

c72b16952a86c2d3e513097ad78262df_large.png

While cool, couldn't you just put a plate down in the bottom with a small weight on it to hold it down and build around the weight? Or glue the plate to the bottom of the tank?
Would be cheaper, and you can do any size you want.

man... I hate my wal-mart... They have a ton of lego stuff in the clearance that's only $1 off from retail price... and it's been that way for the same products for the past 8 months -_-

EDIT: anyone know a good place to get the lego Star Wars Dewback (and possibly sand trooper) for cheap? Im sad I missed that set.

Ryuuroden

My cart is looking like this. I'll probably split this up into two orders in October and use the points towards the Ewok Village. What order should I purchase them? I'm worried some of these are leaving soon. I'm also debating dropping the Tower Bridge and Haunted House and going for the Death Star. I like the Tower bridge but it looks like a boring build and Haunted House isn't going anywhere for a while.

R2
Tower Bridge (not high on this one)
Orthanc
Haunted House
Arkham
VW Van

I have been to two separate LEGO Shops and both managers told me they weren't getting any more Haunted Houses in and that this would be the final holiday season for it. It will be going OOP after December. This is just what they told me so its not official but they have been right before on previous sets.

The only time one of the managers was wrong giving info on sets to me was Death Star and he didn't say it was going OOP he just said that his shop wouldn't be carrying it anymore at the store.....3 years later last month i purchased it from that same store :D

On a different note, since everyone else is listing what their Lego Shop purchases will be for the rest of the year, here is my list:

-1x Red Five X-wing Starfighter UCS
-2x Palace Cinema (Building a bigger cinema and i always get multiple modulars, I have 5 Grand Emporiums, 2 Green Grocers, 3 Town Halls, 2 Fire Brigades, 3 Pet Shops, and 1 Palace Cinema so far)
-2x The Tower of Orthanc (Gonna Combine Them)
-One of each of series 11 minimum, some of them up to 5 figs
-2x Horizon Express (Full train that way)
-1x Sopwith Camel
-1x Winter Village Market

I will get these spread out over the next months to December to pick up all the specials for each month.

Sets holding off till next year:
-1x Sydney Opera House
-1x Ewok Village
-1x Town Square
-2+ Parisian Restaurant

I only get exclusives and stuff not likely to be discounted at The Lego Store, everything else I get clearance, discount b&m or amazon sales. Unfortunately we will not be seeing Lego exclusives on sale on web sites like Amazon very often anymore as one of the reasons for the end of the discounts on coupons (like the 10% one for larger sets) and for lug groups on sets etc at The Lego Store and S@H was in return for sites like Amazon no longer selling those sets for under what the official store sells them for. This is just from what I've read and been told by 2 separate people who work for TLG. I don't know how true it is but it makes some sense. Also contrary to rumors, TLG store employees are not losing their employee discounts.

Ryuuroden

Seeing Ryuuroden and PhoncipleBone talking about PAB Wall go my addiction going.
I've been seeing a lot of cool LEGO pieces showing up on http://www.brickbuildr.com/view/pab/ which lists pieces seen at PAB at different LEGO stores.

If anyone sees these parts, can you pick up a bunch and send them to me. PM me and we can discuss payment and such. Help a fellow addict out please. :)

Highest on my list of wants are the 2x2 in white, black, or any grey. The leaves pieces are super high too.

TILES
2x2 Dark Bluish Gray large cup
2x2 Light Bluish Gray large cup
2x2 Orange large cup
2x2 White large cup
1x2 Green small cup
1x2 Pink small cup
1x2 Purple small cup
1x2 Trans-Light Blue small cup
1x2 White large cup

PLANTS
4x6 Palm Leaf large cup
6x5 Leaves large cup x 2

MISC
2x2x2 Soccer Ball small cup
6x7 Spider Web small cup

I'm in the Orange County/Los Angeles area. If you see any of them at the Orange County locations just let me know please. Costa Mesa location is my regular hunting ground.

Since I just got back in Columbus today, I'm planning on heading out the the local store on Friday for series 11 figures so Ill check the wall for that stuff and purchase any that I see in the amount asked for. Last time I was there they did have some of that.

ghostmind

Unfortunately we will not be seeing Lego exclusives on sale on web sites like Amazon very often anymore as one of the reasons for the end of the discounts on coupons (like the 10% one for larger sets) and for lug groups on sets etc at The Lego Store and S@H was in return for sites like Amazon no longer selling those sets for under what the official store sells them for. This is just from what I've read and been told by 2 separate people who work for TLG. I don't know how true it is but it makes some sense. Also contrary to rumors, TLG store employees are not losing their employee discounts.

I've also heard the same thing from sources regarding other stores discounting 10,000-series and other large sets. We'll know for sure soon enough.

Interesting bit regarding the employee discount though... I wonder if they can apply that discount to all sets, or whether they are blocked from the ones on that list as well.

Ponn

Banned
Might as well join in the fun and put my plans up too:

October

40056 Thanksgiving Feast

November
40058 Decorating the Tree
40059 Santa's Sleigh

Wait, what is this?

Also i was looking at past black fridays and noticed they pretty much do 10% off every year. So i might hold off on village market and arkham till then and then just do wv cottage on oct 14th for the free set and double vip.

My cart is looking like this. I'll probably split this up into two orders in October and use the points towards the Ewok Village. What order should I purchase them? I'm worried some of these are leaving soon. I'm also debating dropping the Tower Bridge and Haunted House and going for the Death Star. I like the Tower bridge but it looks like a boring build and Haunted House isn't going anywhere for a while.

R2
Tower Bridge (not high on this one)
Orthanc
Haunted House
Arkham
VW Van
I need Arkham still, but have everything else on that list. Of all those, Orthanc is the weakest set. Thankfully, it is also the newest.
Tower Bridge is repetitive, but still a cool build. And the final display piece is great. As I said many times before, it is a MOC gold mine because of the pieces. This cannot be understated. The fact that it is about to go OOP means you should get it ASAP.
Death...err... I mean Best Star is my favorite set, bar none. Are their better builds out there? Yes. Are there better MOC friendly sets? Yes. Is there any set that combines a fun (yet pretty basic) build, tons of character, and a load of nostalgia at the same level? Not even close. Best Star is all about the experience and Star Wars love in it. It is a must buy for any Star Wars fan. All should witness the firepower of that fully armed and operational battle station.

Having said that, the only set IMHO that comes close to giving Best Star a run for its money is Haunted House. For what Best Star does for Star Wars love and nostalgia, Haunted House does it for old school horror film love and nostalgia. I would say Haunted House is the superior build of the two, but the sheer size and grandeur of Best Star still wins.

As for your list, this is how I would rank them personally:
Haunted House > VW Camper > R2-D2 > Tower Bridge > Orthanc. I still need Arkham to pass judgement.

Having said that, the only set IMHO that comes close to giving Best Star a run for its money is Haunted House. For what Best Star does for Star Wars love and nostalgia, Haunted House does it for old school horror film love and nostalgia. I would say Haunted House is the superior build of the two, but the sheer size and grandeur of Best Star still wins.

As for your list, this is how I would rank them personally:
Haunted House > VW Camper > R2-D2 > Tower Bridge > Orthanc. I still need Arkham to pass judgement.

My daughter and I finished "bag 4" of the Haunted House this evening. I don't think I've posted an opinion since completing the "bag 1" section...but what a set. I really feel it has saved the best for last...the model gets more impressive the further you get.

I'll post full impressions later but I'm glad I listened to you and Ghostmind. This house feels like a modular.

Ryuuroden

You're Batman.

Post pics of your setup!

Lol ok will do, its major work in progress on hold till I move to a place where i can have a separate LEGO room. as a preview ill post what i did with the 2 Fire Brigades and the 1 of the extra Pet Shops (parts wise)

1327020367m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327020415m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327020465m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327020495m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327020546m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327781314m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327781402m_DISPLAY.jpg

General Grievous wants to know what happened to his chair

My daughter and I finished "bag 4" of the Haunted House this evening. I don't think I've posted an opinion since completing the "bag 1" section...but what a set. I really feel it has saved the best for last...the model gets more impressive the further you get.

I'll post full impressions later but I'm glad I listened to you and Ghostmind. This house feels like a modular.
Oh, yes. The set somehow keeps getting better as it goes. It is what the Modulars want to be like now. Just wait until it is finished.
I was fortunate enough to buy 4 or so of the Ghost poly bags last year, so I have a clock on the first floor of the HH, and tons of ghosts flying around the outside.

The last three seasonal polybags, following on the Springtime Scene, Summer Scene and Fall Scene. Don't know why they didn't do a Winter Scene though. And will the Thanksgiving poly be for NorthAm only?

It sucks that Summer Scene sold out so fast. I missed that one. I guess I'll turn to eBay.

On another note, my S@H order arrived today. Looking forward to building Jek's E-wing Stealth Fighter over the weekend.

I've also heard the same thing from sources regarding other stores discounting 10,000-series and other large sets. We'll know for sure soon enough.

Interesting bit regarding the employee discount though... I wonder if they can apply that discount to all sets, or whether they are blocked from the ones on that list as well.

Last time I talked to an employee, they have a limit of how much they can buy with the discount. I think he said it was 40% off or something. I can ask next time. I'm in the LEGO store about 1-3 times every month.

I have been to two separate LEGO Shops and both managers told me they weren't getting any more Haunted Houses in and that this would be the final holiday season for it. It will be going OOP after December. This is just what they told me so its not official but they have been right before on previous sets.

The only time one of the managers was wrong giving info on sets to me was Death Star and he didn't say it was going OOP he just said that his shop wouldn't be carrying it anymore at the store.....3 years later last month i purchased it from that same store :D

On a different note, since everyone else is listing what their Lego Shop purchases will be for the rest of the year, here is my list:

-1x Red Five X-wing Starfighter UCS
-2x Palace Cinema (Building a bigger cinema and i always get multiple modulars, I have 5 Grand Emporiums, 2 Green Grocers, 3 Town Halls, 2 Fire Brigades, 3 Pet Shops, and 1 Palace Cinema so far)
-2x The Tower of Orthanc (Gonna Combine Them)
-One of each of series 11 minimum, some of them up to 5 figs
-2x Horizon Express (Full train that way)
-1x Sopwith Camel
-1x Winter Village Market

I will get these spread out over the next months to December to pick up all the specials for each month.

By the power of Greyskull! That is quite a list.

Thanks for reminding me. I will pick up Haunted House during double points. I was about get Grand Emporium, but if HH is going OOP it's a must get.

Lol ok will do, its major work in progress on hold till I move to a place where i can have a separate LEGO room. as a preview ill post what i did with the 2 Fire Brigades and the 1 of the extra Pet Shops (parts wise)

1327020367m_DISPLAY.jpg

Nice barbershop. Whenever I see multiple of same modular combined into something bigger like that, I get the urge to buy multiples. I'm 5 or so modulars behind so that won't happen anytime soon.

Yes. Get Haunted House. With double VIP, the two sets people should put at the top of their lists are Haunted House and Tower Bridge. Those probably wont survive Black Friday.

Top Bottom