• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
60026 Town Square

Hmmm, what could this be...

EDIT: Ahh
legochoices.jpg

So probably something like 10184 Town Plan but with different buildings.

Rootbeer

Banned
I finished building the AT-RT set. It's a very nice build and you guys should get it when you have the chance. The AT-RT is build pretty similar to the Superman/Lex Luthor mech set. The only disappointment is you can't really have the legs in any other position due to the way the pieces fit together when pivoted. Another cool thing is that the droid is build upside down. This is my favorite Clone Wars set.

Love the AT-RT set, finally got a Yoda minifig in my collection! And this set is excellent if you like building mech mocs, the part selection is superb for the price.

Thinking of getting my first modular (Grand Emporium) on the AFOL sale day in February, especially as I got a nice Lego voucher for Christmas!

Where do I sign up though? And what do I do on the day to get the discount?

enewtabie

I just need to get the A wing today and the Sith Trooper set and I'll have all of the 2013 sets. Well except for the Hoth one. I think I'll wait on that. Seems like a large Battlepack for the money.

Thinking of getting my first modular (Grand Emporium) on the AFOL sale day in February, especially as I got a nice Lego voucher for Christmas!

Where do I sign up though? And what do I do on the day to get the discount?

All you need to do is turn up and BE an adult. The staff sometimes joke about AFOL ID but I've never seen anyone produce anything or not be allowed in.

Aim to get there before the start time though, once everyone is in the door is locked and it can be a long wait for a staff member to 1) notice you waiting there and 2) be free to actually come an open the door to let you in.

I'll save all my SW 2013 purchases for the next AFOL day (early Feb) but need an interim order to tide me over so I think I'll grab some Power Functions from S@H.

Made my own version of the Chibi Landspeeder from NYCC 2012.

Ok gonna wait on getting Yoda then in some set i don't want (Clone wars etc) i bet they WILL release a new updated classic trilogy Yoda at some point!! (I'd kill for a Yoda's Hut set)

That speeder looks pretty good! I have never heard of a "Chibi" speeder though...

I assume to build this you used quite a few parts from the Luke's Landspeeder set ;)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Ok gonna wait on getting Yoda then in some set i don't want (Clone wars etc) i bet they WILL release a new updated classic trilogy Yoda at some point!! (I'd kill for a Yoda's Hut set)

That speeder looks pretty good! I have never heard of a "Chibi" speeder though...

I assume to build this you used quite a few parts from the Luke's Landspeeder set ;)

Chibi is a Japanese term for small/cute/super-deformed. This is the original one (prototype pics):

8052012906_c180739d47_o.jpg

I don't actually have the Luke's Landspeeder set, so I had to bricklink most of the parts.

Looks eerily similar to yours good job :)

Wasn't it more expensive to bricklink the individual parts though rather than just buying Luke's speeder set flat out?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Looks eerily similar to yours good job :)

Wasn't it more expensive to bricklink the individual parts though rather than just buying Luke's speeder set flat out?

Plenty of different parts really. Since I was doing some bricklink orders for another project already I figured I'd add the landspeeder parts to them.

EDIT: And I just realized I made a small mistake in the model.

Had trouble sleeping because I had a gut feeling the fed ex guy would pull some bullshit today and I would miss him trying to deliver my SSD. Tracking still shows "delivery exception."
That schmuck better deliver today, but I am worried a couple of snow flakes will hit the air and they will be like "oh, sorry. Cannot deliver."
Every damn time...I wish I could put requests in on Amazon or LEGO.com and explicitly say "NO FEDEX!" because there is always an issue.

Plenty of different parts really. Since I was doing some bricklink orders for another project already I figured I'd add the landspeeder parts to them.

EDIT: And I just realized I made a small mistake in the model.
The direction of the cheese slopes on the top engine?

What is AFOL day? Some sort of discount? I finished the first floor of Grand Emporium last might. So good.

IN the UK (not sure about other countries) the LEGO shops open an hour early every now and then just for AFOL's; apart from shopping without the masses you also get 15% off practically everything.

It's a great time to get a few PABs and any sets that are exclusive.

The next date is Saturday, 2nd February 2013 and the times will be:

Milton Keynes – 8.30am – 9.30am
Cardiff – 8.30am – 9.30am
Bluewater – 8.00am – 9.00am
Watford – 8.00am – 9.00am
Sheffield – 8.00am – 9.00am
Manchester – 8.00am – 9.00am
Liverpool -8.00-am – 9.00am
Stratford – 8.00am – 9.00am
Brighton – 8.00am – 9.00am
Westfield – 9.00am – 10.00am

IN the UK (not sure about other countries) the LEGO shops open an hour early every now and then just for AFOL's; apart from shopping without the masses you also get 15% off practically everything.

It's a great time to get a few PABs and any sets that are exclusive.

Anyone know if these are done in the states? Might be worth a drive to take advantage of a sale like that.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Converted 10193 Medieval Market Village into a Modular. Way more expensive than I expected it to be. Missing some decoration I should add later, like a beer keg, vases, etc.

Converted 10193 Medieval Market Village into a Modular. Way more expensive than I expected it to be. Missing some decoration I should add later, like a beer keg, vases, etc.

that looks stunning, awesome job!
and yea bricklinking is always more expensive than anticipated!
but just think of all the internets glory and internets moneys you will be getting ;p

man your set looks glorious from the outside, and then there is such an intricate interior hidden away inside!
brilliant

You did a fantastic job! To echo what Flix said-I am really impressed with the internal details. A beautiful job all around.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Awesome.

Are the chickens your own design? Love em.

Nah, they were part of the Medieval Market Village:

That MMV is amazing. How many bricks did you have to add from bricklink or other sets?

I borrowed some medium blue bricks from the 7346 Seaside House, but I really had to buy a lot more pieces to complete the building. Too many orders to really know, but well over 300 euros easily (although I guess part of those orders were to pad my part collection and not used in this project). I threw in some custom pieces for fun (bottles from brickforge).

Next time I just won't bother with a back side and just build it like a playset/dollhouse.

Ready for my second MOC?

I checked and yes i used to indeed own a BlackTron set as a child so i got a little inspired and came up with this (obviously this might look very basic/retro but that's because it is ;) :

BlackTron Outpost Revival

Outside of the outpost
BToutpost1_zps83108d10.jpg

Here you can see the side with the little command center and the movable ramp(currently in closed position) which houses the planetary exploration buggy
BToutpost2_zps7669a1fc.jpg

Rear end of the base with the buggy roaming around
BToutpost3_zps7c78ec6e.jpg

Little equipment/arms closet that you can open and close, plus i just LOVE those yellow clear tiles on the floor, shame i didn't have more of em
BToutpost4_zpsbf8deef4.jpg

The small Interceptor jet that goes with the base, unfortunately it is not minifig conform but i just tried to focus a bit more on design ;)
BTfighter_zps3cbfaabe.jpg

So yeah that's it, starting to get more of a feel for MOCing, but i noticed that the more time you put into it the better it will look, for the next one i will do some more serious planning ahead, i am limited with my pieces though :(

rataven

This is brilliant; I really love it. Great work on the interiors too.

You're probably right, strangely i have NO memories at all from that time period, but it's gotta be, i even have those 2 huge side pieces with the Triforce like symbols printed on them, unless they also came in some other BT set!

Yup. That is Message Intercept Base.
6987_Message_Intercept_Base.jpg

I am missing one of the large black windows with the logo, so I cannot rebuild the set. :(

Amazing to see how far Lego Sets have come from those days... A lot of this looks cool in a retro way but then some parts look really dated/barebones missing a lot of detail!

I dare say that my custom tiny buggy looks almost as good if not just as good as theirs on that picture :p plus my laser cannon is movable and theirs is not from the looks of it so there ;) (except i really would have put that piece on top in yellow if i had one)

Amazing to see how far Lego Sets have come from those days... A lot of this looks cool in a retro way but then some parts look really dated/barebones missing a lot of detail!

I dare say that my custom tiny buggy looks almost as good if not just as good as theirs on that picture :p plus my laser cannon is movable and theirs is not from the looks of it so there ;) (except i really would have put that piece on top in yellow if i had one)

If you are willing to, I would love to take one of the black logo windows off of you. :) This was one of my favorite sets as a kid and have been wanting to put her back together for a while.

If you are willing to, I would love to take one of the black logo windows off of you. :) This was one of my favorite sets as a kid and have been wanting to put her back together for a while.

Not sure which part you mean exactly by "windows" ? Also i doubt that's a good idea since you're US based right? I am in the EU so that would complicate things quite a bit ;(

Not sure which part you mean exactly by "windows" ? Also i doubt that's a good idea since you're US based right? I am in the EU so that would complicate things quite a bit ;(

Ah, never mind then. Yeah, those giant black angular pieces with the logo on them are windows. Or at least in every other set pieces in that shape appeared in. The Blacktron logo one is the only one that was ever opaque as far as I know, and it is definitely the only set with them with the logo on them.

Some windows that you can't see through at ALL though ;) "opaque" is a nice way to put it ....

On a sidenote, now that i finally did decide on getting Vampyre castle, it's pretty much impossible to find it on amazon anymore for a decent price :( Might have to go bricklink

Some windows that you can't see through at ALL though ;) "opaque" is a nice way to put it ....

On a sidenote, now that i finally did decide on getting Vampyre castle, it's pretty much impossible to find it on amazon anymore for a decent price :( Might have to go bricklink

Well, all the Blacktron figures have opaque visors. I always envisioned it was some elaborate HUD on the inside that only the figures could see.

And as for Vampyre Castle, why not get it from LEGO.com? It is out of stock right now, but more is on the way. And it is MSRP.

Well, all the Blacktron figures have opaque visors. I always envisioned it was some elaborate HUD on the inside that only the figures could see.

And as for Vampyre Castle, why not get it from LEGO.com? It is out of stock right now, but more is on the way. And it is MSRP.

It is... as you mentioned it's not in stock right now, so it would be shipping sometime in Feb.

That in itself i am fine with but the shipping costs are always added, something that you do not have with Amazon.

I might still try it via Lego store though, apparently you get some kinda "credit" when you buy there right?

also: it shows me "Ewar's Ecro fighter" or something that i get as a promotional deal for free here pft, that's a Chima set i assume, shame you can't chose another deal here lol

It is... as you mentioned it's not in stock right now, so it would be shipping sometime in Feb.

That in itself i am fine with but the shipping costs are always added, something that you do not have with Amazon.

I might still try it via Lego store though, apparently you get some kinda "credit" when you buy there right?

VIP program. Basically you earn 5% of your purchase to use later. Double VIP days, usually in March and October, get you 10%. Works on the website as well. Free to sign up, so why not do it?

Sigh i just signed up... Not convinced yet whether it really is cheaper in the long term than Amazon although i do like the prospect of those VIP points hmmm if only shipping wasn't added this would be perfect! It might be a good alternative though for cases when a set isn't available on Amazon.

Sigh i just signed up... Not convinced yet whether it really is cheaper in the long term than Amazon although i do like the prospect of those VIP points hmmm if only shipping wasn't added this would be perfect! It might be a good alternative though for cases when a set isn't available on Amazon.

The exclusives usually take some time to show up on Amazon at the same price as LEGO since they are usually third party sellers. And then if you just order from LEGO when they have free shipping then you are fine.

Top Bottom