• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Sorry for lack of info, but on my phone. This is from Danica McKellar's twitter:
http://ow.ly/gurIU
All I can see is the miscolored Mario sprite (aside from the yellow flesh, the original Super Mario Bros. sprite had a brown shirt and red overalls...also, there should be no skin showing above his eyes--just hat).

Nerd nitpicking aside, my local LEGO store had the Series 9 minifigs today. I grabbed a handful and ended up with:

Marilyn Monroe
Knight
Cop
Plumber
Ogre
Armored Space Guy
Alien Space Marine

I'm kinda blah on the knight (I don't collect any medieval sets, and I still have a ton of knights), but the rest are all pretty great. The business end of the plumber's plunger is actually rubber. I was hoping that it would be a standard LEGO piece so I could plug it onto minifigs' heads, but sadly it doesn't really work. In lieu of that, I was hoping that I could get it to work as a suction cup, but it won't stick to anything. Still, a neat little accessory.

Still gotta find me a chicken suit guy, though.

KingGondo

Banned
Bought the Batman Arctic Battle set today.

The ship is cool...

3C745341-78D4-4A7F-8765-007205DD2875-584-000000520CF12A18.jpg

But the real draw was the awesome Mr. Freeze minifig!

028208F4-6563-4C12-8416-A77747474EA1-584-000000520FFFD600.jpg

Seen here inflicting some pain on the most unappreciated hero ever, Aquaman:

345BF8F0-2E16-4506-9F0C-DCE2F15CB0A9-584-00000052134E53A6.jpg

Rhaegar

Trying to resist the urge to pick up the Mr. Freeze set after already picking up the Bat and Bane's Tumbler set this week, but those minifigs are just toooooooo sweet.

Wallet am cry.

Went for the Helms Deep set in the end, picked it up earlier!

Very tempted to get a second set in the future in order to build the full walls!
I finally got around to using my second set and I am now considering a 3rd. Having a lot of fun working on additions, but it's not enough.

I live within 75 miles of a store and registered. Nothing. :(

Same here. I think you have to be within 60 miles to get the coupon. Dammit. I am driving to the closest one sometime this month to exchange a set I got for Christmas, and was hoping for a coupon. But alas, no.

And finished the second box of the SSD tonight. This thing is turning into a magnificent beast. And I can see what some complained about with attaching the stands. It was not that horrible, but the axle does not drive up all the way into the ship on the back stand. But it is staying in place so that is all that matters.

Tomorrow night, this sucker gets finished!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
lol silly LEGO, Year of the Snake doesn't start until February, and due to elements, it should be blue for water!

beje

Banned
Look what I got for 8€ each one at LIDL. I almost didn't make it, went there 5 minutes after opening hour and there were already some people with baskets full of Lego boxes. I'm pretty sure I got the last chopper because it had to dig almost all the way down in the bin. The other 4 sets available were Duplo, City (police), Technic (car) and Dino so I wasn't interested.

XZq7O.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What are some of the ways you guys organize your instruction manuals?

I'm looking for ease of access and preservability (not a word I don't think).

LEGOGAF!

What say you!!!

For standard themes I have three ring binders with sleeves in, and the manuals go in the sleeves. For special sets (UCS, modular, SW) I have a box with hanging files inside and they go there (I found sleeves aren't so good for the thicker manuals)

For boxes they current just sit in the loft, but I've run out of space so if I want to buy any more in 2013 I'll have to go through and flatten as many as possible. Might also sell on a few less loved sets (thinking Millenium falcon, sopwith camel, Venator and maybe power miners if I can persuade my son)

ghostmind

Modulars by piece count:

Town Hall 2766
Green Grocer 2352
Fire Brigade 2281
Palace Cinema 2196
Grand Emporium 2182
Cafe Corner 2056
Pet Shop 2032

So Palace Cinema is middle-of-the-pack for piece count.

neonglow

Modulars by piece count:

Town Hall 2766
Green Grocer 2352
Fire Brigade 2281
Palace Cinema 2196
Grand Emporium 2182
Cafe Corner 2056
Pet Shop 2032

So Palace Cinema is middle-of-the-pack for piece count.

Hopefully, it'll be $150 then. The movie poster titles are funny especially the one "Mystery of the Monorail". It's an inside joke because people keep requesting Lego to bring that set back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cinema looks great but I'm always a bit torn with corner builds - you get great exteriors because of the extra frontage, but lose a lot of interior space because of the extra sidewalk. The top floor is a good example, by the time you've left space for the stairs, your room is really narrow.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Tempted to replace that screen sticker with a custom one from LEGO Lord of the Rings :)

Kinda wish the screen floor was (dark) red as well. I'll probably change that as well as try to block the windows on the inside. And build a little projector room.

Well crap for stickers :(

There goes my hope of ever being able to slide custom movie posters of my choice in there... Well technically it would still be possible but what a hassle :(

Chuckie

Well crap for stickers :(

There goes my hope of ever being able to slide custom movie posters of my choice in there... Well technically it would still be possible but what a hassle :(

Why? it won't be any more of a hassle. If you don't put on sticker the piece will be exactly the same as a preprinted piece. (thickness will be the same)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you do posters between two bits of glass? I.e are there large window panes that accept glass on both sides?

You could always use the stickers but just don't take them off the backing - just cut them out

mrklaw

MrArseFace
interior is a bit disappointing, only 2 rows of seats? really?

32x32 base minus 8 on each side for the sidewalk minus 6-8 for the staircase and some for the walls, and the angled corner, doesn't leave much interior space upstairs :(

They could have at least raised the rear rows, the floor looks tall enough. Screen is disappointing too. Why is the projected image cropped like that?

R-User!

Why kind of movie theater on the corner of a street only seats 6 people?! o_O

I saw a MOC in a Lego store behind the plastic display case that had a single floor room that had about 20-40 seats in it. The floors were red and the seats were black! It looked really good!

So for some reason I thought that there would be one floor in The Palace Cinema that was going to seat 12 at least....

A tad disappointed due to unrealistic expectations created
due to that Lego Club MOC. :/

But, maybe I could create my own Palace from their set plus bricklinking some seats!

Maybe make it a non-corner building.... Hmm

Why? it won't be any more of a hassle. If you don't put on sticker the piece will be exactly the same as a preprinted piece. (thickness will be the same)

yeah but see i was hoping for some kind of sliding mechanism that would allow for say cardboard pieces or something to be fitted in and out of the surrounding display box.

The way it probably is now means that if you want something custom, you need to make your own sticker and put that on there(i wouldn't even know how to do that actually nor would i want to )

Why kind of movie theater on the corner of a street only seats 6 people?! o_O

I saw a MOC in a Lego store behind the plastic display case that had a single floor room that had about 20-40 seats in it. The floors were red and the seats were black! It looked really good!

So for some reason I thought that there would be one floor in The Palace Cinema that was going to seat 12 at least....

A tad disappointed due to unrealistic expectations created
due to that Lego Club MOC. :/

But, maybe I could create my own Palace from their set plus bricklinking some seats!

Maybe make it a non-corner building.... Hmm

Maybe it's supposed to be an exclusive VIP kinda cinema ...thing... or something ;)

R-User!

Can you do posters between two bits of glass? I.e are there large window panes that accept glass on both sides?

You could always use the stickers but just don't take them off the backing - just cut them out

Yeah! Laminate them so they shine as though they were behind glass and then cut them so that they don't bend over time.

Top Bottom